Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
jagger/taylor interview 1975
Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: June 15, 2005 14:02

Taylor and Jagger: Stories Behind the Split
Stones guitarist wants to work with "different musicians"

The day after Mick Taylor announced be was quitting the Rolling Stones, a telegram arrived for him from Munich. It was from Keith Richards: "Really enjoyed playing with you for the last five years. Thanks for all the turn ons. Best wishes and love."
"Mick just read it and started crying," said Taylor's wife Rosie at their London home.

Taylor himself said: "It was a really nice telegram, it really got to me. And what it says completely reflects how I feel about them."

So why did he quit?

"I'd worked with them in such a way, and for so long, that I didn't think I could go much further without some different musicians," Taylor said. "So when this chance with Jack Bruce came up, well, I wanted to be with him. I'd known for several months that Jack wanted to put together a new band. We'd played a lot together lately, and we'd really hit it off well. It was all for purely musical reasons. There was no personal animosity in the split. There was no row, no quibbling or squabbling."

About an hour after Taylor's statement came out, Jagger phoned from Munich, where the rest of the Stones had been working for five days on their next album. "I'm sorry to see him go, but I think people should be free to do what they want to do," Jagger said. "I mean it's not the army, it's just a sort of rock & roll band. It's very hard for me to explain exactly why he quit. I'm not Mick, so it's difficult for me to explain his personal reasons. But when we went to Eric Clapton's concert at Hammersmith [London] last week, and to the party at Robert Stigwood's afterwards, Mick and I talked. He just said he'd played with us for five years, and he felt he wanted to play some different kind of music. So I said, 'That's okay, that's fine,' and that was that. We were due to return to Munich about two or three days later to start recording, so I didn't really have much time to talk to him. But we did have a couple of hours. There wasn't any kind of row or anything."

There may not have been a row, but there certainly was a mad flurry of upper-echelon activity when Taylor told the group that he wasn't going to attend the Munich sessions.

"The main thing everybody was pissed off about," said a friend of Taylor, "was that the Stones were supposed to be recording and planning a huge world tour. All of a sudden they find they're going to be without one guitarist. And they admit it's going to be hard to replace him. I assume the word came down from Ahmet Ertegun (chairman of the board at Atlantic Records, which distributes the Stones' records] to try to get Mick to stay. Marshall Chess [head of Rolling Stones Records] came to London and stalled, chasing Mick around, trying to find him, by phone, by foot, by car." But Taylor had already gone into hiding. Stones publicists had difficulty trying to locate him to issue a statement.

And as soon as the statement appeared, the music biz came alive with all kinds of explanations -- a row between Jagger/Richard and Taylor . . . money problems. There was talk that the break had come because Taylor hadn't been getting enough credit for co-writing tracks -- with subsequent loss of royalties. Denials quickly came from Jagger and Rosie Taylor. Then Taylor himself angrily denied the stories in a phone interview. "I'm very disturbed by those rumors . . . it had absolutely nothing to do with those things. I'm very upset about it, because I really like the guys in the Stones," he said. "I've really loved working with them for the past five years -- we've had some really great times. And I'd like to work with them again. But how are they going to feel if they open a paper somewhere and see something completely wrong, making all sorts of claims and sounding as if it comes from me? Nothing could be further from the truth.

"I think the rumors were started by an interview I did in a trade paper, but the things I said were taken out of context. And I never wanted the things I said written, reported or repeated. Whatever I felt about credits on songs has nothing to do with my decision to leave. If Mick or Keith ever want to do solo albums, I'd really like to be in on them. And that's especially why I want these rumors killed, because I don't want my friendship with the Stones jeopardized, or anything I may do with them later."

Rosie is just as adamant, but she hints at disenchantment over credits. "Mick is a musical person . . . it was just a question of having musical acknowledgement. If you know him or have anything to do with him, you know that he doesn't think of the money at all like that. It was the last thing on his mind. Sure the credits appear as Jagger/Richards, because it's always been the case. They've done by far most of the Stones' writing."

The departure of Taylor leaves a huge gap in the Stones' lineup. In the five years since he left John Mayall to replace the late Brian Jones, Taylor has helped move the Stones' music away from the basic raunch and roll of their early years. They've become more adventurous, with Taylor's pure soaring solos filling cracks and adding a final gloss to tracks.

Said Jagger of Taylor: "He added some very beautiful solos to our music and brought some really nice musical ideas to the group; On the last album, I think the best thing he did was 'Time Waits for No One.'"

But Jagger maintained that his departure "just means we're missing one guitar player, which we'll no doubt find." Jagger offered no names or dates for a replacement.

"At the moment;" he said, "we're not really looking for anyone in the really hot sense of the word, because we're recording, you know?"

Jagger thinks the Stones in the studio without Taylor will still be the Stones. "Oh yeah, of course. We recorded about three albums with the same people we're using now. Like Let It Bleed . . . And Mick was in on only half of the last sessions in Munich, for It's Only Rock 'n Roll, because he was in the hospital. We had two sessions and he didn't come to the first one. So it's not really any great difficulty."

Jagger knocks down any suggestions that Taylor never really fit into the band --considering he was the only non-original member. "Living with someone like that for five years, being with them so much, makes you very close to them. So, as far as we were concerned he was just as close as anyone else in the band. There's no question of his being frozen out of the group or anything like that. Five-and-a-half years is a long time to spend with one band, especially these days, I think. And people talk about him not having a kind of Stones image. I think it's only Keith and me to a certain extent, who have what you'd call that kind of image. I don't think you'll find Charlie is a kind of mad gadabout, or Bill. Mick and I used to get on very well, and we used to go around a lot together. I think it's just that he has a lot of ideas and he wants to try them out. And I hope he does.

"I don't want to say goodbye to him. I hope I can work with him again. If I do something on my own, I'd like to have Mick along to play, you know? We've already talked about this, the other day. Maybe I'll work with him again, quite soon I hope.

"I don't know really how this break will affect us. I never have known how long we're going to go on. I just can't really say. I mean, we won't go on forever! We have various ideas for solo efforts. I'd like to try something like that, maybe films, you know? But I seem to get so involved with the band and I'm so lazy, that I never find time."

Where do the Stones head from here?

"We have got American dates coming up about May, and we'll be touring extensively next spring. Mick's departure doesn't really affect the plans, by then we'll probably have a new man anyway. We'll be announcing the exact dates fairly soon, I think."

Mick Taylor -- normally an intensely shy person -- almost bubbles with enthusiasm when talking about the new band with Bruce. Other members announced so far are the American composer and keyboards player Carla Bley and piano player Max Middleton, who used to be with Jeff Beck. A drummer has yet to be found.

"The first sessions Jack and I did together, and everything since, have been really inspiring. I just couldn't believe that we could have what we did, together," he said.

Taylor had been kicking ideas around and playing in the studios with Bruce for a couple of weeks, and the magic sparks struck there helped make up his mind.

"He'd been thinking maybe it was time to move on, but he didn't know to what," Rosie said. "I don't think he realized how good he was, he'd really forgotten how well he could play. You tan hear him on Stones tracks, playing fine music, but still not to the full extent he can do it, not to the extent he used to. In fact, he told Jagger all about it -- how well it was working with Bruce. And Mick Jagger said something to the effect that sometimes he wished he could just go and play with someone else. That's the really funny part of it."

VINCENT McGARRY
(RS 175 - January 30, 1975)

Re: jagger/taylor interview 1975
Posted by: RankOutsider ()
Date: June 15, 2005 14:32

So what happened to the project/group with Jack Bruce?

I ain't stupid, I'm just guitarded.

Date: June 15, 2005 14:45

If jagger could work with taylor again on a solo record and we can get songs
like winter,shine a light, or let it loose.Songs with substance and enjoyable
to listen and always fresh and timeless.

is jagger to old to write on his own or are we left with upcoming stones record
as there final new studio record.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 15, 2005 15:07

Interesting. And that article seems to be the origin of many quotes and references ever since.

One question: why was Taylor hospitalized during IORR sessions? For what reason?

And one reflection: Here Jagger (and Mick & Rosie Taylor) are talking about solo careers. It seemed to be a real option for Jagger (and perhaps to rest of them also) in mid-70's. And the end of the band was a real option. I remember once listening to an interview CD made during European Tour '73 where Jagger was talking about future plans. One was a new record by The Stones (that turned to be IORR); at that stage Jagger planned it's going to be a half live and a half new studio material. Another plan was to do a solo record. Jagger said that he has already talked to some musicians to play on it. At least Mick Taylor and Billy Preston were mentioned. What happened to that plan? Perhaps the laziness...

I think all these solo record plans and options like that were one of the reasons why Taylor had the guts to quit; the whole future of the Stones seemed quite problematic. Perhaps the quitting at that moment didn't felt so fundamental or final or a big issue as it does nowadays. At least in that interview both Micks seem to quite optimistic about their possible future work together.

I suppose the idea of Jagger's possible solo album might have come from Goats Head Soap sessions, where Preston and Taylor were much co-working with Mick, while Keith was absent. If that's scenario is true, I think that the never-come-true solo album might have been interesting - just think the melodic examples like "Winter" and "100 Years Ago".

- Doxa

P.S. About that Taylor's Jack Bruce involvement. I think they made some concerts, but were split up before recording anything. Bruce ain't the most simple person either.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-06-15 15:11 by Doxa.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: June 15, 2005 15:12

Nice to read these things, every now and then. All speculations on why MT left the band are put into their right perspection and can be seen for what they really are: (often stupid) speculations.

C

Posted by: Berlin ()
Date: June 15, 2005 15:15

The sad thing for Taylor is that his thing with J.Bruce was a short-time project only. Finally they released a double-live-cd (2 or 3 years ago?). But to be honest I didn`t like it and gave it away. It didn`t grow over the years and to my ears it was crap.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: June 15, 2005 16:15

I think Mick Jagger always wanted to do a solo album and in the 70's and with the shape Keith was in I don't think anyone expected him to live as long as he has so I am sure all the guys didn't think the Stones thing would last forever. So solo albums always seemed to be ideas. Its too bad that Taylor could not stay with the Stones and do solo projects on the side like Bill did. That way he could sort have the best of both worlds.

By the way, Shine A Light was written in the 60's about Brian Jones, before the Exile sessions. Taylor did add some great solos to it!

Posted by: john r ()
Date: June 15, 2005 17:53

The project (as represented by the live album Bruce issued a couple years ago) oddly had no new material, aside from some improvisitory sefments, mostly using Bruce's (then) latest album ("Out Of the Storm") & a few older tracks for their set. I was excited when I first heard about it - admiring as I did Carla Bley's work (including "Escalator Over the Hill"), Bruces musicianship & adventurousness (w/ Cream, & first 2 or 3 solo albums), & Mick Taylor. It just never jelled into a real band. I remember this article - or quotes from it - 30 years later. Nobody expected the Stones - at a dozen plus years together - to continue much longer. I mean, getting up onstage playing rock & roll - can you imagine Jagger up there leaping about at age 40 for god's sake? It would be like Bill Haley, or Elvis in that kung Fu get-up....

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: June 15, 2005 18:23

Hei! Thank's for all the information. About the solo work, there is an album with John Phillips which came out in 2001,(I think), and it's based on Recording sessions where Jagger, Richards and Taylor attended. The sessions are supposed to be from the time after Taylor left the band...

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: June 15, 2005 18:26

Correct, it was recorded in 76 and 77 with Mick J, Keith, Charlie, Mick T AND Ronnie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-06-15 18:32 by erikjjf.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: June 15, 2005 18:30

erikjjf Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Correct, it was recorded in 76 and 77 with Keith,
> Taylor AND Ronnie.

Cool!

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: June 15, 2005 18:33

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 15, 2005 18:33

Hound Dog Wrote:
> By the way, Shine A Light was written in the 60's
> about Brian Jones, before the Exile sessions.
> Taylor did add some great solos to it!
>

Certainly not true. Shine a Light was originally a Leon Russel/Mick Jagger composition recorded under the Get a Line On You title in October 1969. If you read the lyrics it clearly isn't about Brian.

Mathijs

Date: June 15, 2005 18:46

The John Phillips cd has some very cool music and photos & is well worth checking out - essential just for the photos/notes, including the one of Phillips (r.i.p.) & Keith lolling about on a bed, very Stoned, surrounded by pill bottles & drug paraphernalia....

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: June 15, 2005 19:33

SHINE A LIGHT
(M. Jagger/K. Richards)

Saw you stretched out in Room Ten O Nine
With a smile on your face and a tear right in your eye.
Oh, couldn't see to get a line on you, my sweet honey love.
Berber jewelry jangling down the street,
Making bloodshot eyes at every woman that you meet.
Could not seem to get a high on you, my sweet honey love.

May the good Lord shine a light on you,
Make every song your favorite tune.
Warm like the evening sun.

When you're drunk in the alley, baby, with your clothes all torn
And your late night friends leave you in the cold gray dawn.
Just seemed too many flies on you, I just can't brush them off.
Angels beating all their wings in time,
With smiles on their faces and a gleam right in their eyes.
Whoa, thought I heard one sigh for you,
Come on up, come on up, now, come on up now.

Make every song you sing your favorite tune.
Warm like the evening sun.

Why are these lyrics clearly not about Brian Mathijs? He used to wear a lot of ethnic/Berber jewellry. His eyes were often bloodshot in the latter years & he always had an eye for the women. he was usually surrounded by "late night friends" & the "too many flies on you" is a perfect image for the self-destructive Brian with his disintegrating health and supposed death wish. If the song was recorded in October '69 it might well have been written after July 3rd and be Jagger's reflections on his recent death and feelings of impotence at not being able to help: "I just can't brush them off"

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: June 15, 2005 19:43

I read somewhere (don't remember the source) that the Taylor-Bruce band basically fell apart due to their heroin addictions.

The John Phillips disc Pay Pack & Follow is IMO a pretty good disc, but has very little Stones sound. I can't hear Taylor anywhere. John R is right about the pictures, though. Hilarious, in a grotesque sort of way...

Karl

Date: June 15, 2005 19:44

The 'other' version of Shine a Light I've heard - included as bonus track on Leon's 1970 solo debut (DCC label edition only) is quite different from the Exile version: tentative, less developed. I am unaware of Leon's compositional involvement, but whatever its origins, it comes together & 'fits' perfectly, like a chapter in a great novel, on EOMS...

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: June 15, 2005 20:43

Mathijs, I tend to belive Mick's word over yours... Read the book Rolling With the Stones and they talk about this as well.

"Originally wrote Shine A Light in the late 60's. After Brian passed I rewrote some of the lyrics and it was released on Exile as "Shine A Light." Sort of a farewell among other things.."

Posted by: RankOutsider ()
Date: June 15, 2005 21:37

It sure sounds like it could be about Brian to me. And I have a framed picture of Brian hanging in my apartment, so, I guess that makes me an expert huh?

I ain't stupid, I'm just guitarded.

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: June 15, 2005 22:58

AJA - thanks for the "old RS" article. I remember reading it, back when.

MLC

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: June 15, 2005 23:31

Tseverin. Brian or not;
what content Jagger thinks in, puts in and SINGS in
that session day and all the other days certainly not for sure aint
Brian... To whome - Jones or Richards - does Jagger have the closest
relationship: It´s all about Keith & his addiction problems.

The original thoughts could have been about Brian; I´ll consider that.
But its not necessarily the point.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: June 16, 2005 00:34

KSIE,

Try an ear syringe!

You can hear MT playing lead on Zulu Warrior. That's the most obvious one. Superb testament to the Keith/Taylor partnership. There are others. Slide on Just 14? Not sure about that one. Probably some bass, though I think that is Ron's main contribution to the album.

Mr Blue is one of the stonesiest non-stones tracks I've ever heard. One of last great examples of Keith's flowing rhythm (eg also Travelling Man, Going Down) - before he became 'jerkier' from SG onwards.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-06-16 18:14 by Four Stone Walls.

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: June 16, 2005 03:23

Baboon Bro,
I refer you to the honourable gentleman (Hound Dog's) previous comment.

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: June 16, 2005 05:09

KSIE Wrote:
> The John Phillips disc Pay Pack & Follow is
> IMO a pretty good disc, but has very little Stones
> sound. I can't hear Taylor anywhere.

Try the solo on Oh Virginia. Incidentally, Taylor on lead, Keith on rhythm and Wood on bass on that one. There are conflicting reports about Charlie playing drums during these sessions.

Tseverin Wrote:
If the song was recorded in October '69 it might
> well have been written after July 3rd and be
> Jagger's reflections on his recent death and
> feelings of impotence at not being able to help:
> "I just can't brush them off"

Impotence, reluctance or repulsion?

Getting back to the original topic, 10 years after leaving the band, Taylor remarked that he did it when he was 25 and that he probably would not have made the same move 10 years later. Of course, he's given conflicting responses on many Stones-related subjects . . .

Posted by: z ()
Date: June 16, 2005 12:30

‘Pay Pack & Follow’ was recorded over a long period. between 1973 and 1979.
Though most of Jagger’s vocals sound like (+/-)1978 to me. his punk days…

I’ve once read about the Mick Taylor session (can’t remember the source. I think it was an interview with John Phillips). It was some time after he left the Stones, and there was some tension in the air. Taylor walked in and recorded the solo for ‘Oh Virginia’ in one take. Everyone were amazed and Keith said to Phillips something like: “now you see why I hate this @#$%&?”

Taylor also plays on ‘Zulu Warior’ and ‘Very Dread’.

Date: June 16, 2005 12:53

yeah taylor was the one take solo man - and it took keith countless hours and
he held the band hostage until late at night to get done his riffs .

Date: June 16, 2005 13:33

<and it took keith countless hours and
he held the band hostage until late at night to get done his riffs.>

There were some drugs involved, right smiling smiley I don't think it takes countless hours finishing the riffs now (on the other hand, the riffs were better before).

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 16, 2005 13:48

"I don't think it takes countless hours finishing the riffs now"

Absolutely true; Chuck and the horns will do it smiling smiley

- Doxa

Date: June 16, 2005 13:52

smiling smiley

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: June 16, 2005 14:33

Allright my memory is a little faulty. Didn't need the syringe, but thanks for the kind suggestion sweetie. I guess he plays two solos, ZW and Oh, Virginia. Still, the disc is mostly folk-rock and not particularly Stonesy sounding.

Four Stone Walls Wrote:
> KSIE,
>
> Try an ear syringe!
>
> You can hear MT playing lead on Zulu Warrior.
> That's the most obvious one. Superb testament to
> the Keith/Taylor partnership. There are others.
> Slide on Just 16? Not sure about that one.
> Probably some bass, though I think that is Ron's
> main contribution to the album.
>
> Mr Blue is one of the stonesiest non-stones tracks
> I've ever heard. One of last great examples of
> Keith's flowing rhythm (eg also Travelling Man,
> Going Down) - before he became 'jerkier' from SG
> onwards.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-06-16 14:34 by KSIE.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1831
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home