Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Rock and roll Hall Of Fame
Posted by: jaggerman ()
Date: August 17, 2014 20:16

Hey all,

Planning a trip to visit the Rock HOF in a week or 2 and i've never been to Cleveland.Anyone here been to the museum ?? Any tips or suggestions ??

I'm planning on staying in the city close by.I'll be there a few days plus want to take a day trip to Canton for the NFL HOF.

Any Clevelanders on the board ??

Thanks

Mike

Re: OT: Rock and roll Hall Of Fame
Posted by: chrisvw ()
Date: August 17, 2014 20:38

we've been to the rock hall several times and have enjoyed it very much. the best was the special stones exhibit last year. you may want to check the hof schedule to see what special things might be going on there during your visit. you can easily spend an entire day if you spend time on the interactive exhibits.

if you're a foodie, iron chef michael symon has a few restaurants in the area. although lola restaurant is a little pricey, his other restaurant, lolita, is a more casual wine bar/small plates restaurant with wonderful, somewhat affordable food. he's got some burger places called "b spot" with great burgers and wonderful milk shakes that can be spiked with rum. interesting beer selections, too.

have fun!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 18, 2014 08:00

I liked the Blue Point Grille on West Clair for food. Spring a little for a hotel, I've stayed at the Marriott (nice) and some caged up ghetto box with crack dealers roaming the sidewalks outside. Take your pick.

I've been to the Hall twice. I hope you have the time to take in the little things. There will be some head shaking things, and you'll wonder why they have such a non-descript, small area for the Stones permanent exhibit. But there's a lot of cool stuff there. Look for Duane Allman's guitar.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: August 18, 2014 13:18

I was just at the HOF a couple weeks ago. The Stones section is really good, and the current special exhibitions include a really interesting one on rock festivals. We ended up spending all day there--much more impressed than I'd expected to be .

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 18, 2014 16:34

I've been there many times. Get their early. There is a lot to see.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: August 18, 2014 23:48

If any rapper can get inducted into the Rock Hall it makes the whole thing meaningless to me.

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: August 19, 2014 00:18

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame’s Library and Archives has two collections of materials created by Art Collins. The first, the Art Collins Papers, was donated after his death in 2005 by wife Nikki Collins. The second batch of files can be found in Series III of the Jeff Gold Collection. Gold acquired these files from Nikki Collins and later donated them to the Library. It is this second collection that contains all of the notes and correspondence on the Rolling Stones, but to get the full scoop on Collins’ career, you’ll need to consult both collections.

Email library@rockhall.org to make an appointment to come in and see what other hidden stories you can find in the archives.

[rockhall.com]

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: August 19, 2014 02:53

The place is like heaven on earth if love rock and roll. Everything you can think of. Great area on the roots of rock and roll. Tribute to DJ's and the progression of rock radio. I counted 4 1959 Les Pauls alone and a great tribute to Les paul himself. Actually hundreds and hundreds of things to see and read about over 4 or 5 floors.

Date: August 19, 2014 03:00

Cleveland has come along way over the last 20 years. They have a great indoor market downtown. The hall is right on the waterfront next to where the Browns play. Again probably 6 hours to do a quick walk through. More if you want to take it all in.

Date: August 19, 2014 03:04

shadooby
If any rapper can get inducted into the Rock Hall it makes the whole thing meaningless to me.

Don't confuse the Hall of fame with the Museum. Two separate boards and entities even though they are in the same building.

Posted by: bigfrankie ()
Date: August 19, 2014 03:20

Mike,

In addition to the R&R HOF and the NFL HOF, you may want to go to Unviersity Circle. You can Google it to see if anything there appeals to you. It's right down Euclid Ave.

If you stay downtown, you may want to go to the Terminal Tower obeservation deck. For about 30+ years it was the tallest building in the world (outside of NYC).

[discoveringcleveland.com]

don't give me that ole one two, one two three four

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 19, 2014 05:27

Canton is the absolute worst. Fortunately the HOF is right off the freeway so you can make an easy escape back up 77.

Posted by: Roscoe ()
Date: August 19, 2014 07:15

More Hot Rocks
shadooby

Don't confuse the Hall of fame with the Museum. Two separate boards and entities even though they are in the same building.

More Hot Rocks is right. The museum is well worth the time of any rock'n'roll fan. The Hall of Fame however, as we all know, is a load of bollocks.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: August 19, 2014 11:35

It's a great museum. I've been there a few times and will be there next month again.

Cleveland is a nice city. It has really improved over the years.

Date: August 19, 2014 20:40

The museum is fantastic. I've been there twice for quick trips. First time they had the Grateful Dead exhibit (not a fan of them, but it was my first visit to the HoF), second time I went for the Stones exhibit. Now that was neat!

Date: August 30, 2014 19:43

Just got back from Cleveland and the Rock Hall was amazing !!! Loved the Stones and Beatles section they had.Was cool to see some of the Steel Wheels stage set as that was my first stones concert at RFK stadium.Never thought i would be that close to Mick's famous 72 white jumpsuit !! as well as the mellotron Mccartney used on Strawberry Fields

I recommend any fan of rock and roll to make the trip u wont be disappointed !!

Mike

Date: August 30, 2014 21:04

jaggerman
Just got back from Cleveland and the Rock Hall was amazing !!! Loved the Stones and Beatles section they had.Was cool to see some of the Steel Wheels stage set as that was my first stones concert at RFK stadium.Never thought i would be that close to Mick's famous 72 white jumpsuit !! as well as the mellotron Mccartney used on Strawberry Fields

I recommend any fan of rock and roll to make the trip u wont be disappointed !!

Mike

I knew you would like it. Great place. Glad you had a good time.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: August 30, 2014 21:13

shadooby

I felt the same about the Abba addition. A couple coming up for possable induction also have me scratching my head and wondering just what they think Rock and Roll is.

Date: August 30, 2014 21:29

Roscoe
More Hot Rocks
shadooby

More Hot Rocks is right. The museum is well worth the time of any rock'n'roll fan. The Hall of Fame however, as we all know, is a load of bollocks.

Yes, but isn't this thread about the HOF? I'm confused.
Rockn Roll is a state of mind; a life style choice. Any rebel with the spirit merits induction. I mean, this it just how it goes. Music changes and evolves constantly. Thank God. And the rappers have brought a lotof superb changes. What if Bill Haley heard some 20 minute Grateful Dead jam, and recoiled "This is not rock'n roll; meaningless.."

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: August 30, 2014 22:19

That is great that you had an awesome time!

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: August 30, 2014 23:08

Aquamarine
I was just at the HOF a couple weeks ago. The Stones section is really good, and the current special exhibitions include a really interesting one on rock festivals. We ended up spending all day there--much more impressed than I'd expected to be .

Aquamarine - was there anything on Altamont (I would presume so!) What did you think? Any idea whether that's a permanent part of the collection or a temporary exhibition?

thanks!
swiss

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: August 31, 2014 00:40

The rock festivals thing was a temporary exhibit--I'm afraid I don't remember when it ends. There was some stuff on Altamont, but nothing new, I don't think. The Woodstock and Isle of Wight parts were more interesting, plus the stuff about more recent US fests like Lolla, Bonnaroo, Coachella, etc.

Date: August 31, 2014 17:09

swiss
Aquamarine

Aquamarine - was there anything on Altamont (I would presume so!) What did you think? Any idea whether that's a permanent part of the collection or a temporary exhibition?

thanks!
swiss

This is still the temporary exhibit,i'm guessing it changes every few months.I really liked the film they showed in one of the theatres showing each inductee from year to year.I too was there all day,about 6 hours.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: August 31, 2014 22:12

jaggerman
swiss
Aquamarine

thanks!
swiss

This is still the temporary exhibit,i'm guessing it changes every few months.I really liked the film they showed in one of the theatres showing each inductee from year to year.I too was there all day,about 6 hours.

Sounds great - I'm sure Cleveland has many charms, but the RRHoF Museum/Library/Archive is why I'd go there!

Posted by: likecats ()
Date: August 31, 2014 23:49

My wife and I visited it years ago, '04 I think. We really enjoyed it. Glad you did too, Jaggerman!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-31 23:51 by likecats.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2310
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home