Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Hidden gem in "Will But You Won't"
Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: August 30, 2014 21:11

In Life Keith noted that the finely-wrought textures of backup vocals became integral to how he composes songs (high-water mark: "How Can I Stop"). It took me two decades to notice, in the outro (beginning around 3:30) of "Will But You Won't," the guys singing, "Make-up-your-mind / Make UP ... your miiiiind!" Now I can't stop listening to the track.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-30 21:12 by Mel Belli.

Re: Hidden gem in "Will But You Won't"
Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: August 30, 2014 21:15

I like the album but this is one the tracks that I skip past almost every time. Once you've made it past the first 30 seconds, there really just isn't much reward. No development. The intro, the verse and the chorus all sound the same and blend together. Feels like it could have used some more time in the oven. I say this as a fan. Both of Keith's solo albums are wonderful listens and I wish he'd put out another one! (sorry to respectfully disagree!)

Date: August 30, 2014 21:17

LOL, that is my favorite part of the entire album! That is Babi Floyd. But I think he is saying "will but you won't". I used to think it was "if you don't..?";
That whole ending section is powerful; huge.

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: August 31, 2014 00:55

flacnvinyl
I like the album but this is one the tracks that I skip past almost every time. Once you've made it past the first 30 seconds, there really just isn't much reward. No development. The intro, the verse and the chorus all sound the same and blend together. Feels like it could have used some more time in the oven. I say this as a fan. Both of Keith's solo albums are wonderful listens and I wish he'd put out another one! (sorry to respectfully disagree!)

That's the other thing about late-period Keith: the avoidance of the verse-chorus-bridge, rinse-repeat formula. It's not everyone's cup of tea; Mick, for instance. That's one of the reasons, I think, that Keith didn't contribute more roundly to ABB: he doesn't "finish" his stuff, and Mick no longer has the patience to wait for songs to coalesce in the studio.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-31 00:55 by Mel Belli.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 31, 2014 01:50

Great song.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: August 31, 2014 12:00

Live versione is even better

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: August 31, 2014 12:26

Great tune on a great album. It's all about the feel baby

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 31, 2014 12:57

Spartan rock at its best : you love it or hate it!

Date: August 31, 2014 15:37

Mel Belli
flacnvinyl

That's the other thing about late-period Keith: the avoidance of the verse-chorus-bridge, rinse-repeat formula. It's not everyone's cup of tea; Mick, for instance. That's one of the reasons, I think, that Keith didn't contribute more roundly to ABB: he doesn't "finish" his stuff, and Mick no longer has the patience to wait for songs to coalesce in the studio.

I can see that. At the same time there are songs like It Means A Lot that have a similar format but somehow work for me. I could listen to Keith ride that riff for hours and thankfully IMAL is a long track. Funny how personal taste affects all of us.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 31, 2014 17:55

Imho IMAL sounds like sh!t : the production is ugly. Anything on MO sounds better, more natural and more organic.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: August 31, 2014 18:09

Love the open G riffage and backing vocals on WBYW !

sc uk

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: August 31, 2014 19:30

[www.youtube.com]

The Human Riff

Date: August 31, 2014 21:43

KRiffhard
[www.youtube.com]

The Human Riff

Works live. Can't say that for One More Shot!

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 31, 2014 21:54

flacnvinyl
KRiffhard

The Human Riff

Works live. Can't say that for One More Shot!

I do like it much more live than on the album. As for OMS, it needed a little more airing, but I thought at the beginning of the tours it actually sounded much better live than Doom and Gloom. If they had stuck with it, I think it would have been outstanding live.

Dropped the s for you KRiffhard, for easier viewing. smiling smiley

Date: August 31, 2014 22:13

dcba
Imho IMAL sounds like sh!t : the production is ugly. Anything on MO sounds better, more natural and more organic.

Wow! Besides MNM it's my favourite on TIC...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1779
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home