Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Is there a band that can take the place of the Stones?
Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: August 17, 2014 04:51

Not to the true Stones fans, but let's be honest - most Stones fans
are just as happy to go see Macca, U2, or other bands. There are few among
us who truly love the band.

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: August 17, 2014 04:53

Brstonesfan

Eh?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 17, 2014 05:20

.... get ya hand off it Br...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: August 17, 2014 05:22

vertigojoe
There are no new bands anymore. Modern culture is too fragmented for any band to ever have the cultural impact that the Beatles or Stones had. Post WW2 end of empire. End of deference. Stones lit the touch paper. These circumstances will not be repeated for a long long time and if they do it will be in a very different way.
And hasn't it all been done now?

Exactly. I'm not sure we can ever say that it's all been done because no one knows what hasn't been done yet until it happens. But it's certainly more difficult for groups to become so popular and actually be good. People don't have to work hard for fame anymore. That's the difference I think.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: August 17, 2014 07:56

The majority of true Stones fans do not post on IORR.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: August 17, 2014 09:15

Because of the time, place and people, no.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 17, 2014 17:22

stonesrule

Are you saying there is more than a few hundred Stones fans?

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: August 17, 2014 20:54

Since they started over fifty years ago there hasn't been a band that can replace them so it's unlikely that it will happen in the future.

Today's music is more specialized. There won't be another band that appeals to a wide audience like The Beatles or Stones.

"Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat. Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get. No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: August 17, 2014 21:19

no one will ever replace the stones.

when the stones are gone there will be a huge gap that can never be filled.

Posted by: mudbone ()
Date: August 17, 2014 23:03

the crowes come close on a couple of tunes....but, no

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: August 18, 2014 01:29

Perhaps we should ask "replace in what sense?" The Stones were/are more than just a band, they had a widespread cultural impact. They got LAWS changed!

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: August 18, 2014 01:59

Careful what you wish for. Look at the Hateful Fred & the proliferation of jam bands. The horrors!eye popping smiley

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 18, 2014 06:57

crholmstrom
Careful what you wish for. Look at the Hateful Fred & the proliferation of jam bands. The horrors!eye popping smiley

+ 1

Posted by: rcfoxy ()
Date: August 18, 2014 07:12

No possible replacement....ever. No need either - the Stones will live on forever through their recordings.

Stones are No.1 - there is no No.2 IMHO!

Cheers
Richard - In Another Land

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: August 18, 2014 13:48

Ronnie Wood and Mick Taylor in a joint venture like the Jimmy Reed homage. That sounded like the early Stones ...

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: August 18, 2014 16:10

treaclefingers
stonesrule

Are you saying there is more than a few hundred Stones fans?

...So thàt's why tics to their gigs sell out so quickly...

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: August 18, 2014 16:36

Aron
Hi everybody

I'm new here and this is my first topic. I don't know if this topic has ever been discussed before...

I don't want to be too pessimistic,but we all know that the Stones will stop touring someday.
The Stones are and always will be my number one band, but can someone name a rock band that can fill the shoes of The Rolling Stones.
Music-wise I'm thinking of The Black Crowes, but I don't think they are that well known to the general public.. (So maybe u2, Artic Monkeys,..)
I would like to hear your opinions.

Cheers Aron

Aron - welcome to the forum.

If you mean mirror the Stones musical style, and carry it forward as their own, and then equal and exceed the Stones appeal and profitability, no.

But if you mean simply a band with multi-generational appeal that can sell shedloads of CDs and make vast profits on every tour, I have no doubt that U2 will be still be touring in 20 years time and will celebrate their 50th. Metallica give every indication of being around for the long-haul but have not, so far, managed to become that band who everyone knows at least one famous tune.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 18, 2014 16:39

Brstonesfan

This one made me laugh. Made me think of IORR classics like "done deal" and "sons of the Beatles". Great stuff!

Date: August 18, 2014 17:02

Stoneage
Brstonesfan

This one made me laugh. Made me think of IORR classics like "done deal" and "sons of the Beatles". Great stuff!

It's kind of like loving your deceased parents now.tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: August 18, 2014 18:25

That's like asking if there will be another president to fill Abraham Lincoln's shoes.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 18, 2014 18:26

I'm sorry, I'm not sure I quite follow you there, fellow Swede Holmström...

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 18, 2014 18:37

Twenty years ago I would have said that both The Black Crowes and INXS did a reasonably good job of approximating aspects of the Stones' sound. Today's I'd point to The Black Keys for doing the same. All good bands, but I don't see any of them with the versatility to switch from rock to pop to funk to blues to country to reggae to soul and still put their indelible stamp on the end result. They were one in a million and give us so much pleasure through so many decades for that very reason.

Date: August 18, 2014 19:05

Stoneage
I'm sorry, I'm not sure I quite follow you there, fellow Swede Holmström...

I still luv the Stones but their best days are long past. Based on the show I saw (& videos of latest tour), its almost to the point of being a parody. It hurts me to say it but especially Keith. I will forever thank him for all of the great moments he has given us but the truth is (at least IMO, everybody has their own truth) his playing just isn't too stellar anymore. I think the lack of producing any new material has contributed greatly to the malaise. It has sapped some of the vitality out of the band. I mean 2 songs in 10 years? Doesn't speak well to the creative aspect. I do empathise with Keith regarding his physical well being. I suffer from severe arthritis too. It is debilitating & extremely painful. People have no idea. I couldn't play a guitar now under any circumstance. I have monthly treatments that are a trial in themselves. Before the latest one, I couldn't move the fingers in one hand at all. Anyway, as I said, I still luv the Stones but my expectations of anything extraordinary are very low now. They still have their moments (Glastonbury) but they are becoming fewer & farther between. I was trying to inject a little humor into the post. Peace.smileys with beer

Posted by: Ruediger ()
Date: August 18, 2014 19:50

@ Flacnvinyl:
quote: For me I have begun replacing them with a bunch of bands. No single band will ever replace that hole in my heart. Seriously. They are giants in my personal music catalog. Bands like Tame Impala, White Denim, Wilco and Spoon do a great job.

The problem with the question is whether you care about new music or not. The Stones seem content with the current business model and I simply am not pleased with $700 tickets and stale setlists. They will become increasingly irrelevant the longer they go without a new album. Winning back the masses with a huge tour with $100 tickets would be great, but I don't see it. Putting out a new album steeped in blues would be wonderful, but I don't see that happening either. unquote

I do agree with you and I would like to add that in my eyes the Stones will never be replaced because they were/are unique. There are some other bands I like to hear, but this could be compared with reading books. When a certain famous author is dead, people will still read his books. No one would ask for an author to replace Tolstoi or Grass.

Unfortunately the Stones are doing by themselves what we will do when they should no longer exist as a band. We would listen to their old recordings and think of the past. And what are they doing? They have the same setlists over and over again, acting as if they were playing old recordings or a cheap "Best of" - collection. And this is - at least for me, being 67 and living on a pension - no longer worth € 450,-- or the like. Really, under the circumstances I prefer listening to my huge collection of legal and illegal recordings.

Sad, sad, sad...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-18 19:51 by Ruediger.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 18, 2014 21:30

no, the stones are one of a kind .

Posted by: zumabitch ()
Date: August 18, 2014 23:04

Even if they say that James the Younger should be less frivolous and focus more on his zither playing

Posted by: Aron ()
Date: August 19, 2014 01:04

I don't really mean "replace" because that's impossible, but do you think there are currently good rock bands that can dominante rock music for 15 years, like the Stones did in the 60s and 70s?
I know that times are changed but nowadays music is everywhere.

I think u2 has made some incredible albums and i really like them live (i know some people Find Bono arrogant, but i really think he is a first class performer). But maybe they are becoming a bit irrelevant...

I metioned the artic monkeys because i think

Posted by: Aron ()
Date: August 19, 2014 01:12

I don't really mean "replace" because that's impossible, but do you think there are currently good rock bands that can dominante rock music for 15 years, like the Stones did in the 60s and 70s?
I know that times have changed but still, there have to be good rock bands..

I think u2 has made some incredible albums and i really like them live (i know some people Find Bono arrogant, but i really think he is a first class performer). In my opinion they are the second best band in the world. But maybe they are becoming a bit irrelevant...

I mentioned the artic monkeys because i think their last album was really great. They are still young but they play large festivals all over the world(like Glastonbury.). So maybe a band for the future?

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: August 19, 2014 02:56

Only one Stones (and Who and Kinks), but on becoming the Stones replacement are we looking for a blues/rock/r&b sound like the Stones, or give it to a middle-aged band like U2?

I think the replacement will not be as big, or ever be as big as the Stones. Maybe a band that is a bit cocky, a bit of danger, wide influences, great stage presence and able to just COMMAND attention both musically and in their performance. Partial list of some of the attributes that attracted me to the Stones and The Who.

A 'young' band with some swagger and attitude, with some influences from the past, but definitely charting their own way forward:

Cage The Elephant: so songwriting needs improvement, but driving live show with great rhythm and lead guitars, much more garage-like than polished sound, and a lead singer that seems like a cross between Mick and Iggy Pop live. Recommended listen: Spiderhead, Take It Or Leave It, Ain't No Rest For The Wicked. A band that needs to be experienced live. Currently opening for The Black Keys, after playing some Summer festivals. Saw them this Summer and they unexpectedly blew me away.

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: August 19, 2014 03:49

Never forget most Stones fans, except us diehards , prefer other bands. All you have to do is peruse the most popular Stone sites and you see people who are very proud that they have a diversified music collection and are not Stones purists. I personally resent coming to a Stones site, and seeing people lavishing praise on other bands. The worst of these fans, IMO, are the Springsteen, Dylan, Macca and U2 fans. We accept that the masses will always prefer the Beatles, but our own fan base is the most ungrateful and least loyal. This us why they do not record new music IMO.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1896
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home