Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

wish list : luxury
Posted by: stripped95 ()
Date: June 13, 2005 22:54

is great !!! great lyrics,chords .., beautiful to hear.
they must to play on the new tour

Re: wish list : luxury
Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: June 13, 2005 22:58

I hope so too. It was rehearsed in 97, so it's not entirely forgotten.

Date: June 13, 2005 23:37

Also great in 1975! Why did they remove it from the setlist???

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: June 14, 2005 00:31

Because it's not a good live song.

(And it's not a good studio one either).

Dance Little Sister would work better live. (Another sub-standard studio effort).

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: June 14, 2005 01:09

Four Stone Walls Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> (And it's not a good studio one either).

I disagree. Great groove, great feel, great guitar sound.
Kudos to Charlie for not playing it straight and giving it
that half-reggae beat.
A good album track doesn't always make a good live track,
like She's So Cold which I thought was terrible live.
Nice to hear in concert, though.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 14, 2005 01:17

(And it's not a good studio one either).

WHAT!! Not a good studio track...Geez man it's the groovin' centre-pin of IORR.
Take it away and go from Time Waits to Dance Little Sister and see how it sounds.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Local27 ()
Date: June 14, 2005 02:26

Rockman....I agree 110%!!! Luxury is an AMAZING song....one of my favorites. I'd love to hear it live. Unfortunately I was only two years old the last time they performed it on stage. I can always dream for the upcoming tour to have it in the set list!

"I'm the bleeding volcano"

Date: June 14, 2005 10:08

<Because it's not a good live song.

(And it's not a good studio one either). >

The live versions were close to the studio version, only with more punch. If you don't like the song at all, OK for me, but I think the live versions rocked.

Date: June 14, 2005 11:09

Rockman,

I'm from the Vinyl Era. TWFNO was last track on side one. Thank goodness it was not ruined by being so closely followed by Luxury. That must be hell!

Luxury was (and IS!) the first track on side 2. It's lame. Never convinced me, ever. Lyrics, trite. Yes, some nice rhythmic stuff going on - but so contrived/manufactured.

To you - respect.

(As for me - I'm prepared to be a loan martyr on this thread - better a bed of thorns, than insipid Luxury).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-06-14 13:36 by Four Stone Walls.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 14, 2005 11:27

Four Stone Walls....Yeah man, I too had the vinyl way before it came out on CD but if you wanna lift the needle and skip a good track then it's your choice.

Me I love Luxury as a song especially the longer version on the 1994 Virgin CD

To you - total respect for your opinion.

PS Watch those thorns they'll ruin your night wear.

TAKE CARE
ROCKMAN

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: June 14, 2005 16:21

Its an ok song, nothing spectacular but good none to less. IORR in my opinion is one of the weakest Stones albums. Just noticed that after I was wondering which Stones cds I rarely listen to. Has to be this, followed by a close second Steel Wheels.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: June 14, 2005 23:56

Cool song. I also think IORR is one of the bands weakest albums but does have some gems of coarse.

Love Dance Little Sister and Fingerprint File.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: June 15, 2005 00:10

IORR does come off as one of the weaker albums. When I wonder why this is I have to say it is one of the few albums tyhat has a song on there that I outright do not like: Short and Curlies. So that already brings the album down for me. And Luxury, as great as a tune it is was poorly recorded and mixed. actually the song was butchered. I have a feeling that many people also don't like "If you really want to be.." too much. I think it is right up there with "Let it Loose"; great soulballad with great vox.

Date: June 15, 2005 10:26

The record is poorly produced. IMO, that obstructed the major hit potential for songs like IYCRM, TWFNO and Luxury.

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: June 15, 2005 19:15

I just listened to IORR this morning on the way to work and I thought the exactly same thoughts:
Poorly produced and Luxury (as well as Dance Little Sister) would be great to hear for the next tour.

The poor production really shows up on Short and Curlies. That could hgave been a really cool blues song but is gets butchered. Might be fun to hear live.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: June 15, 2005 19:31

I'm working so hard, I'm working de kam-po-neeee . . .

Great.

Date: June 16, 2005 01:11

Mr Drugstore (I presume it's Mr)

Yes, Short and Curlies is shite. But goodness, DYRWTBMF is not much better. Comparable to Let It Loose? OM Giddy Aunt. It is a song written from Jagger's head and I don't detect an ounce of genuine emotion. Unlike LIL, it was so obviously carefully and painstaingly rehearsed and constructed. (And those STUPID backing singers!) Same with Till the Next Time. YAWN. His singing is technically great on that album. But it's one of their most vacuous works - except for the two side-end masterpieces.

Keith had run out of ideas by this stage. (Riffs on IYCRM and DLS). And Jagger was just writing 'clever' words on sub-standard songs. Big exception being Time Waits. That cooks. As does FF. And those two songs owe so much to Mick Taylor, (bass on FF). Jagger the raunchy rhythm on FF, (as done live too). (Am hoping to see FF as this tour's tour-de-force centre-piece; though perhaps Keith can no longer do the fast lead licks inbetween his funk main wah-wah stuff).

Title track is good live as a Berry-esque rocker - but as a studio song it's essentially a Face's style knock-about pastiche - saved by Keith's vicious lead.
The very fact that they are writing a song ABOUT rock and roll! Arghhh. And to say that it is ONLY rock and roll. Bloody awful sentiments. Rather devalues all their authentic R&R credentials. Keith IS R&R, isn't he? Jagger was now acting the part.

Their weakest seventies' album. Anyway, that's where they were at, at the time. Things could only get better. And they did.

(Wouldn't it have been good if they'd put 'Drift Away' on instead of S&C or TTNG?)

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: June 16, 2005 16:41

My first impression for luxury was Paul Simon's Mother and Child Reunion.
Both have comfortable rhythm. I want to hear it live.
Was this song made in Goat's Head session?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-06-16 16:43 by Toru A.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: June 16, 2005 16:45

Toru A Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Was this song made in Goat's Head session?

No. First recorded in 1974 I believe.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1885
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home