Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5657585960616263646566...LastNext
Current Page: 61 of 126
Re: OT: Bob Dylan news and more
Date: November 14, 2018 04:28

I love the vinyl version of this More Blood... set. I would love to hear the cd boxset, but I just don't know whether I want to plunk down the money to hear 7 versions of the same song played continuously.

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1869

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: November 14, 2018 06:37

[www.rollingstone.com]

"How a Wisconsin Singer Got a Bob Dylan Co-Writing Credit for New Song ‘On, Wisconsin’
Trapper Schoepp added some lyrics and a melody to Dylan’s unrecorded 1961 song before getting approval from the man himself."

Wisconsin singer/songwriter Trapper Schoepp was scrolling through articles on Rolling Stone‘s website in March 2017 when he came across a piece about a long-lost Bob Dylan lyric manuscript about the state of Wisconsin that was about to hit the auction block. The article concluded with a complete transcription of the lyrics. “I just got this sinking feeling in my gut,” says Schoepp. “I knew that I needed to finish what was started.

To Schoepp’s shock, Dylan himself signed off on the song once Schoepp added a melody to it and filled in some lyrical gaps. It’s the final track on his upcoming album Primetime Illusion, due out January 25th, 2019, but “On, Wisconsin” is available to hear below."

[www.youtube.com]

---------------------------

The's more to the article. It's linked on top here.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 16, 2018 21:05

cool story ^^^

Posted by: forsure ()
Date: November 17, 2018 00:06

Caught Bob Wednesday and he put on a fine, fine show. His voice was as clear and strong as I’ve heard in the last 10 years. Scarlet town, don’t think twice and simple twist were my favorites. The crowd on the other hand was sooooooo lame. It was like we were in church, and I don’t mean that in a good way. I guess it was nice from the fact that people were attentive and there was little to no crowd chatter as he was playing, but musicians feed off the energy from the fans as much as rye crowd feeds off the performers energy. I much prefer seeing bob when he does colleges with GA floors. Sadly I think this may be the last time I spend the cash to see him.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 17, 2018 00:21

When was the last time he played colleges with GA floors? I saw him at University of Santa Barbara auditorium around 2004, but it wasn't GA.
Ever since then, I've seen him either in small theaters (Pantages and Dolby, etc.), or outdoor ampitheaters (Santa Barbara Bowl, Hollwood Bowl, etc), all reserved seating and never GA.

The times I did see him GA was at the 2002 Wiltern shows all three nights up front in the pit ( Bob ), and before that in 2000 (or 2001?) at the outdoor Ventura County Fairgrounds co-heading with Phil Lesh.
Made it up front for Bob, but skidaddled out of there about half way through Lesh's set

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-17 00:23 by Hairball.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: November 17, 2018 04:50

forsure
I guess it was nice from the fact that people were attentive and there was little to no crowd chatter as he was playing,

Nice? That's the way ALL shows should be!

When I saw Bob about 10 years ago, there was a couple in front of me that yakked through the whole thing. Looked like they were on a date, and it was just background noise for them.

People like that have no business being at a Dylan concert.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 18, 2018 09:19

Posted by: northof49 ()
Date: November 23, 2018 05:07

Looks like Bob's starting a week long residency at the Beacon Theatre tomorrow night.
That would be a fun gig.

Date: November 23, 2018 09:34

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 23, 2018 09:40

Ah you never turned around to see the frowns
On the jugglers and the clowns when they all did tricks for you
You never understood that it ain't no good
You shouldn't let other people get your kicks for you

…………………..……………………………………………………………………. Like A Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan

ROCKMAN

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 24, 2018 00:20

Rockman
Ah you never turned around to see the frowns
On the jugglers and the clowns when they all did tricks for you
You never understood that it ain't no good
You shouldn't let other people get your kicks for you

…………………..……………………………………………………………………. Like A Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan

smileys with beer

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: November 27, 2018 22:06

Bob Dylan 2018 Is One of the Greatest Shows in History of Rock
Master paints new masterpiece every night by revisiting past in new ways.

[www.realclearlife.com]

Date: November 27, 2018 23:41

Hairball
When was the last time he played colleges with GA floors? I saw him at University of Santa Barbara auditorium around 2004, but it wasn't GA.
Ever since then, I've seen him either in small theaters (Pantages and Dolby, etc.), or outdoor ampitheaters (Santa Barbara Bowl, Hollwood Bowl, etc), all reserved seating and never GA.

The times I did see him GA was at the 2002 Wiltern shows all three nights up front in the pit ( Bob ), and before that in 2000 (or 2001?) at the outdoor Ventura County Fairgrounds co-heading with Phil Lesh.
Made it up front for Bob, but skidaddled out of there about half way through Lesh's set
Yea showing my age. It was a long time ago no doubt. Say 99-07. Obviously bob wants a seated crowd now. I can do a show, or two, but much prefer crowd interaction, with a bit of dancing and what not. I know that’s not where bob is today, I just miss it and miss that Dylan. It was nice to sit right in front of him two rows back and watch him do his thing the whole night.

Date: November 27, 2018 23:44

loog droog
forsure
I guess it was nice from the fact that people were attentive and there was little to no crowd chatter as he was playing,

Nice? That's the way ALL shows should be!

When I saw Bob about 10 years ago, there was a couple in front of me that yakked through the whole thing. Looked like they were on a date, and it was just background noise for them.

People like that have no business being at a Dylan concert.

Agreed, but not drop dead quite where if you cough you interrupt the show, I loathe show talkers, but a little hooting n hollering never hurt no one. My first visions these kids starting yapping in front of me. I got between them and said I’ve been waiting my whole life to hear this song STFU or go out into the hall.

Date: November 27, 2018 23:47

This is the show I caught. Scarlet town was so good. Disappointed he dropped thinman by the time he hit my town

Date: November 28, 2018 09:02

latebloomer

[www.realclearlife.com]

That was a very enjoyable reading. Thanks for sharing, latebloomer! smiling smiley

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 28, 2018 09:37

latebloomer

[www.realclearlife.com]

great article. i'll go if he makes it up to seattle this year. i've seen dylan a lot. last time was fantastic. he's played here since then & i heard it wasn't as good. that seems to be how it works with him in my experience, fantastic 1 year, less so the next.

Posted by: Stone601 ()
Date: November 28, 2018 12:18

[www.bst-hydepark.com]

sorry if it has already been posted

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 1, 2018 20:57

Unsurprising, every set at the Beacon so far has been the same, although last night he finally busted out It Takes A Lot To Laugh, It Takes A Train To Cry in place of All Along The Watchtower to open the encore. So far the only difference between any of the 6 shows.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 1, 2018 21:33

DATES for Summer 2019 coming through on the Expecting Rain website. In Europe.
Would be nice to hear of a new studio recording though, originals of course.
(this is getting repetitive!)

Posted by: GeorgV ()
Date: December 1, 2018 21:51

I am going. Will be 6 years since I saw Stones there. Bob AND Neil on the same night from Gold circle will be great. Too old to queue and run. Will se Bob in Globen too. This (and a Martin D28) is my substitute for not going to US next year...

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 1, 2018 21:54

forsure
The crowd on the other hand was sooooooo lame. It was like we were in church, and I don’t mean that in a good way. I guess it was nice from the fact that people were attentive and there was little to no crowd chatter as he was playing, but musicians feed off the energy from the fans as much as rye crowd feeds off the performers energy.

I think the cat calls and the "YEAH!!!"'s annoy Bob at the utmost level. He much prefers a respectful discrete audience. There were shows where Bob refrained from giving a little extra (like a harp solo) because the audience was rowdy.
Neil Young is basically the same... except he won't withdraw from his performance he'll cut it short and insult the audience grinning smiley like he did recently.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: December 1, 2018 21:56

latebloomer

[www.realclearlife.com]

I like Dylan, but statements like that are total bull..t (in my opinion). I have seen him 5 times since 2005 and I haven't realized any ""new ways." Yes, the old songs sound very different, most people in the audience recognize them only by lyrics (I personally don't see that as an advantage). But the fact is, that all songs (new and old) sound very much the same and they sound pretty much the same year after year. Okay, there are some arrangement differencies, but nothing too dramatic. Since my first Dylan concert in 2005 he still sounds very much the same (to my ears). Yet people go on and on about how he constatnly re-invents himself and his music. Sorry, I can't hear that, I can't see that, maybe it is just me...

Posted by: GeorgV ()
Date: December 1, 2018 22:09

Happy24
latebloomer

[www.realclearlife.com]

I like Dylan, but statements like that are total bull..t (in my opinion). I have seen him 5 times since 2005 and I haven't realized any ""new ways." Yes, the old songs sound very different, most people in the audience recognize them only by lyrics (I personally don't see that as an advantage). But the fact is, that all songs (new and old) sound very much the same and they sound pretty much the same year after year. Okay, there are some arrangement differencies, but nothing too dramatic. Since my first Dylan concert in 2005 he still sounds very much the same (to my ears). Yet people go on and on about how he constatnly re-invents himself and his music. Sorry, I can't hear that, I can't see that, maybe it is just me...

Dylan is like that. Either you get him or you don't. My wife doesn't. 30 years ago (when I was young) I could not understand why that man with his nasal voice was so great, but I bought a LP (at Budokan) and realised how good his songs were.

I believe his arrangements differs more over the years than that other band we all know and love...

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 1, 2018 22:34

GeorgV
Happy24
latebloomer

[www.realclearlife.com]

Dylan is like that. Either you get him or you don't. My wife doesn't. 30 years ago (when I was young) I could not understand why that man with his nasal voice was so great, but I bought a LP (at Budokan) and realised how good his songs were.

I believe his arrangements differs more over the years than that other band we all know and love...

I get Dylan and I agree with most of what Happy is saying. I enjoy the current shows, but largely he does always sound the same and the arrangements are all relatively similar. Yes, he USED to really switch things up, but nowadays and for the last 10-15 years its hard to say there's been THAT much change. I don't think that really has to do with "getting him" or not. I'm on board with what he does but I agree the constant reinvention thing is a tad overrated.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: December 1, 2018 22:53

RollingFreak
GeorgV
Happy24
latebloomer

[www.realclearlife.com]

I get Dylan and I agree with most of what Happy is saying. I enjoy the current shows, but largely he does always sound the same and the arrangements are all relatively similar. Yes, he USED to really switch things up, but nowadays and for the last 10-15 years its hard to say there's been THAT much change. I don't think that really has to do with "getting him" or not. I'm on board with what he does but I agree the constant reinvention thing is a tad overrated.

I do not exactly agree - he had ups and downs, the time around Tempest was full of energy. In 2013 he started playing the same setlists each night, which made the performances more precise, but less spontaneous.

Date: December 2, 2018 00:08

dcba
forsure
The crowd on the other hand was sooooooo lame. It was like we were in church, and I don’t mean that in a good way. I guess it was nice from the fact that people were attentive and there was little to no crowd chatter as he was playing, but musicians feed off the energy from the fans as much as rye crowd feeds off the performers energy.

I think the cat calls and the "YEAH!!!"'s annoy Bob at the utmost level. He much prefers a respectful discrete audience. There were shows where Bob refrained from giving a little extra (like a harp solo) because the audience was rowdy.
Neil Young is basically the same... except he won't withdraw from his performance he'll cut it short and insult the audience grinning smiley like he did recently.

Yea, I’d agree. There was one jackas who kept doing that in Rochester, and it was so obviously obnoxious I think the guy finally got it and stopped. Back when he had Larry and Charlie on guitar the band cooked, most show were ga floor and the crowd was up and swaying/dancing for the most part, with everyone tuned in, band and crowd alike. I miss that, and him mixing up the setlist, but still dig what he is putting out there. I do like loud rock and roll though, god bless the stones and what is left of the Grateful Dead

Posted by: mrjones ()
Date: December 2, 2018 05:11

Here is Ringo & brother in-law Joe Walsh talking about the Dylan show they saw at the beacon. Funny stuff. I'm not a big Howard Stern fan though.video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: ohmercy61 ()
Date: December 2, 2018 05:53

mrjones
Here is Ringo & brother in-law Joe Walsh talking about the Dylan show they saw at the beacon. Funny stuff. I'm not a big Howard Stern fan though.video: [www.youtube.com]
thanks for YouTube post..

Posted by: mrjones ()
Date: December 2, 2018 06:35

ohmercy61
mrjones
thanks for YouTube post..
Hey no problem.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5657585960616263646566...LastNext
Current Page: 61 of 126

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1925
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home