Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Any Stones-fans here,who like their 1963-1968 era most?
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 13, 2014 13:27

AROUND AND AROUND was and is an essential album for many European fans. Released first in Germany (November 1964), then in France and Northern Europe. In a way it is no less a collection for the people in those markets than, say, 12X5 or NOW! are in Northern America. Like in America, the EP format was not so common there, so the album nicely captures the UK EP material (plus early singles), and as otherwise the albums were UK Decca based, it has not any song included in those. Still years later, a handy album to go alongside THE ROLLING STONES and NO 2 from album collector's point of view...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-13 13:30 by Doxa.

Date: August 13, 2014 13:31

BroomWagon
DandelionPowderman

Did it have a different title, with the same songs - or just almost the same collection of songs?

One thing I know it had was a different live version of "I'm alright" from the "Got live if you want it" album. In fact, I think singing "It's alright" was more in the song than "I'm alright".

[en.wikipedia.org]

The cassette label was red. I think eventually, the cassette got wound up to tight but I enjoyed it. I believe it had other songs one might see on "More Hot Rocks". Maybe "Been a long long time", maybe "Bye Bye Johnny".

But definitely NOT 2120 Michigan Ave. I would have remembered that.

Very interesting!

Date: August 13, 2014 13:52

Funny thing about AROUND AND AROUND is that by the time I started to collect Stones albums that one seemed to be everywhere (early 80's in Finland). Heavily reissued plus originals from the 60's in second hand shops. But one could not find anything of it when reading the official discographies, that, of course, counted only UK and US releases... So it was a kind of ghost release for me... Valid, but non-existent...

- Doxa

Date: August 13, 2014 13:59

Doxa
Funny thing about AROUND AND AROUND is that by the time I started to collect Stones albums that one seemed to be everywhere (early 80's in Finland). Heavily reissued plus originals from the 60's in second hand shops. But one could not find anything of it when reading the official discographies, that, of course, counted only UK and US releases... So it was a kind of ghost release for me... Valid, but non-existent...

- Doxa

Yeah, I remember all the compilations and live albums that were featured on the inner sleeve of Metamophosis that I hadn't seen before - like "The Rolling Stones In Concert - 22 live tracks", "Around And Around", "The Stones Story" and "Satisfaction". There were probably 10 others as well! It took me a while to track them up, but I did grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-13 13:59 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: August 13, 2014 14:21

Yeah, there were lots of them, Decca was really milking out their legacy with whatever releases... The story of AROUND AND AROUND is still a bit different than those 70's odd releases, and I think deserves a better status than those ones.

But, now when thinking of those days, to make sense of UK/US dichotomy in albums in the first place was hard enough.. Different titles and even if same, different contents..

- Doxa

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: August 13, 2014 14:33

Around and around was the first Stones album I ever had in my hands at the house of an older friend. First album I got myself was another German mid-60's compilation: Bravo the R. Stones. Used to love it as a 9 year old boy.

Posted by: LQ1977 ()
Date: August 13, 2014 15:54

DandelionPowderman

That's very cool! I can still go to clubs in Oslo where they play Aftermath from A to Z - hope it stays that way!

Where? smiling smiley

Aftermath is my favourite album by the Stones, although tied with Let it bleed. Songs from that era were the ones I discovered first back in the early 90´s and they are still what I love the most by the Stones. Off the hook, Can I get a witness (my two first faves), Sittin´ on a fence, Lady Jane, She said yeah.... And I loved Flowers! However, all those albums were brilliant. Out of our heads was one I really listened lots to. An oft (?) forgotten gem is Long long while. What a great song!

-------------------------------------------------------------

Literally 965 kilometers from being "Born in an Arctic zone".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-13 15:55 by LQ1977.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 13, 2014 16:05

Good Times, Bad Times

2 1 2 0

Date: August 13, 2014 16:22

LQ1977
DandelionPowderman

That's very cool! I can still go to clubs in Oslo where they play Aftermath from A to Z - hope it stays that way!

Where? smiling smiley

Aftermath is my favourite album by the Stones, although tied with Let it bleed. Songs from that era were the ones I discovered first back in the early 90´s and they are still what I love the most by the Stones. Off the hook, Can I get a witness (my two first faves), Sittin´ on a fence, Lady Jane, She said yeah.... And I loved Flowers! However, all those albums were brilliant. Out of our heads was one I really listened lots to. An oft (?) forgotten gem is Long long while. What a great song!

Here: [brygghus.no]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 13, 2014 18:59

Come On
She Smiled Sweetly

MISS AMANDA JONES!

Date: August 14, 2014 01:48

I listen to very early Stones more than even the Big 4. I totally agree that 63-68 is more than 1 era; IMO it is 3 chapters.
I love the early blues sessions, the first album and all the Chess Outtakes.

Date: August 14, 2014 17:21

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
IMO, those songs are up there with the best they ever wrote, Nikkei.

It is the Stones's pop era, no doubt about that. Love those songs, love Aftermath.

Now that we're talking about it, I recall a few years ago going to a 'Stones Themed' night at a pub/club and they had about 20 bands come out and each do one stones songs...LOTS from the pop era, say 65-67. Absolutely fantastic.

Deep cuts too, like Connection...just a fab night.

Well I hope that stays that way for you too Dandy...one and only time that's happened around here. The place was absolutely packed too!

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: August 14, 2014 20:14

The Stones were 1000x better than the Beatles during the Brian Jones era 1963-1968. I looked forward to the arrival of every new Stones album as usually announced in Rolling Stone magazine

These days I find the Beatles listenable on my local classic rock radio station but I could never sit through an entire album of their

Date: August 14, 2014 20:28

triceratops
The Stones were 1000x better than the Beatles during the Brian Jones era 1963-1968. I looked forward to the arrival of every new Stones album as usually announced in Rolling Stone magazine

These days I find the Beatles listenable on my local classic rock radio station but I could never sit through an entire album of their

What do you do in between those times?

What have you done for the last decade?!

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: August 14, 2014 20:45

difficult to say which era is best, some times it depends on whats been listened to.

sometimes if im deep into exile i cant think of anything that can top it, till 5 mins later im listening to some early tracks from the b jones era like one more try, 2120 south michigan avenue, tell me, im alright, its all over now etc, then i get into beggars banquet and that becomes the best.

recently i listened to instrumental outtakes of citadel, jigsaw puzzle and let it loose and they all sounded fantastic.

the stones had an ever changing sound, versatility and texture and reinvented themselves every year to 18months in a way the beatles and others never could.

its like the stones have never been 1 band, but several new bands coming along every couple of years.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: August 14, 2014 20:55

treaclefingers
triceratops

You first.

Date: August 14, 2014 23:11

triceratops
treaclefingers
triceratops

You first.

I've been rearranging all my stones albums, to make room for the next round of issues, Vinyl, CD, Blu Ray Audio, singles etc.

You know the drill...luckily for me, the last 9 years since ABB has allowed me time to build an addition to the house to allow room for the 'vault releases'.

Let the games begin.

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: August 15, 2014 00:05

Thats were primeordial Stones were born, If you don't like that period you ain't on the bus!!, but I guess it depends when you got on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-15 08:11 by Tonstone.

Date: August 15, 2014 09:19

treaclefingers
Come On
She Smiled Sweetly

MISS AMANDA JONES!

WHO'S BEEN SLEEPING HERE? grinning smiley

2 1 2 0

Date: August 15, 2014 09:57

Come On
treaclefingers
Come On
She Smiled Sweetly

MISS AMANDA JONES!

I have...something happened to me yesterday!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 15, 2014 10:33

treaclefingers
Come On
treaclefingers
Come On
She Smiled Sweetly

MISS AMANDA JONES!

This is all getting very Complicated.

Date: August 15, 2014 10:38

treaclefingers
Come On
treaclefingers
Come On
She Smiled Sweetly

MISS AMANDA JONES!

Complicated!

2 1 2 0

Posted by: LQ1977 ()
Date: August 15, 2014 13:35

DandelionPowderman
LQ1977
DandelionPowderman

Where? smiling smiley

Takk! I lived close to Birkelunden at Grünerløkka for 3 years when I was studying and always enjoy going back there. Another reason to do it now! cool smiley

-------------------------------------------------------------

Literally 965 kilometers from being "Born in an Arctic zone".

Date: August 15, 2014 13:42

LQ1977
DandelionPowderman
LQ1977
DandelionPowderman

Where? smiling smiley

Takk! I lived close to Birkelunden at Grünerløkka for 3 years when I was studying and always enjoy going back there. Another reason to do it now! cool smiley

thumbs up

Date: August 15, 2014 17:50

stonehearted
treaclefingers
Come On
treaclefingers
Come On
She Smiled Sweetly

MISS AMANDA JONES!

Not really, we're just having a CONNECTION!

Date: August 15, 2014 18:00

treaclefingers
stonehearted
treaclefingers
Come On
treaclefingers
Come On
She Smiled Sweetly

MISS AMANDA JONES!

You just wanna Spend The Night Together...

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 15, 2014 18:55

Yesterday was the 50th anniversary of the UK release of 5 X 5. I love this lp. I remember reading somewhere that 5 X 5 is Steven Van Zandt's favorite Stones album. It's not my favorite, but I sure wouldn't want to be without it.

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Date: August 15, 2014 21:30

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
stonehearted
treaclefingers
Come On
treaclefingers
Come On
She Smiled Sweetly

MISS AMANDA JONES!

You just all sold out by using a track from the US edition, spoiling the flow.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 15, 2014 21:36

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
stonehearted
treaclefingers
Come On
treaclefingers
Come On
She Smiled Sweetly

MISS AMANDA JONES!

Now, Treacle, take it easy. U.S. editions count as well. It's alright, just be Cool, Calm & Collected.

Date: August 15, 2014 21:40

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
stonehearted
treaclefingers
Come On
treaclefingers
Come On
She Smiled Sweetly

MISS AMANDA JONES!

My oh My Obsession of editions is like a crack in my vinyl!

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1731
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home