Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: Track Talk: Sleep Tonight
Date: August 11, 2014 17:37

StonesCat
drewmaster
This is where Keith starts losing his touch, where his abilities as a songwriter begin slipping away. It's a nice mood piece, but somehow misses the mark compared to Keith’s great ballads. There’s really not much of a melody here, and that booming ‘80s production doesn’t help matters.

Drew

Yep, this is where the divide amongst Stones fans starts, with those who dig the torch-song ballad Keith, and those, like me, who don't care much for the make it up as you go lyric style and demo-type feel to the tracks. Slipping Away is the keeper from the later era for me.

And this one?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 11, 2014 17:49

It doesn't say much about the album, when this is the single shining star from it.

Date: August 11, 2014 17:54

treaclefingers
It doesn't say much about the album, when this is the single shining star from it.

Is isn't, it's just the perfect pre-closer.

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: August 11, 2014 18:17

It's awful.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: August 11, 2014 18:47

It's great

Posted by: rusty ()
Date: August 11, 2014 18:57

what a horrible song, like the most of Richards singing songs.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: August 11, 2014 19:36

DandelionPowderman
StonesCat
drewmaster
This is where Keith starts losing his touch, where his abilities as a songwriter begin slipping away. It's a nice mood piece, but somehow misses the mark compared to Keith’s great ballads. There’s really not much of a melody here, and that booming ‘80s production doesn’t help matters.

Drew

Yep, this is where the divide amongst Stones fans starts, with those who dig the torch-song ballad Keith, and those, like me, who don't care much for the make it up as you go lyric style and demo-type feel to the tracks. Slipping Away is the keeper from the later era for me.

And this one?

For me, the post-1983 Keith keepers are Slipping Away and Thief in the Night. Both are real songs ... and unforgettable.

Drew

Date: August 11, 2014 19:38

drewmaster
DandelionPowderman
StonesCat
drewmaster

Drew

And this one?

For me, the post-1983 Keith keepers are Slipping Away and Thief in the Night. Both are real songs ... and unforgettable.

Drew

Both are great, but How Can I Stop is probably the most "real" of them all.

Date: August 11, 2014 19:44

DandelionPowderman
drewmaster
DandelionPowderman
StonesCat
drewmaster

Drew

And this one?

Drew

I've been trying to get into How Can I Stop for 17 years, Dandy! On an intellectual level, I can recognize that it is a fine track, but something is blocking me from really enjoying it!! Unlucky for me...

Drew

Date: August 11, 2014 19:48

drewmaster
DandelionPowderman
drewmaster
DandelionPowderman
StonesCat
drewmaster

Drew

And this one?

Drew

I've been trying to get into How Can I Stop for 17 years, Dandy! On an intellectual level, I can recognize that it is a fine track, but something is blocking me from really enjoying it!! Unlucky for me...

Drew

Too bad, but in a way that's the beauty of music: we all get different experiences and joys smiling smiley

Date: August 11, 2014 19:54

DandelionPowderman
drewmaster
DandelionPowderman
drewmaster
DandelionPowderman
StonesCat
drewmaster

Drew

And this one?

Drew

Drew

Too bad, but in a way that's the beauty of music: we all get different experiences and joys smiling smiley

Very true! And this is one reason the Stones are so great ... their musical breadth allows you to enjoy How Can I Stop while I enjoy Back to Zero!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Drew

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 11, 2014 20:23

I think drewmaster and SilverDagger nailed my stance here. To think of how kind Keith 'solo' numbers degenerated during the 80's... After the run of "You Got The Silver", "Happy", "Coming Down Again", "Before They Make Me Run", "All About You", "Little T&A" - if not all classics, but at least killer songs, strong artistic statements and album highlights, then we got first a dull throwaway "Wanna Hold You", followed by this way-too-predictable and meaningless ballad.... the thrill and 'speciality' had gone, brilliance had turned into mediocricy. Fortunately TALK IS CHEAP included material which would show that there still was creative will and point in that front.

Nice to have Tom Waits here, but, frankly, there is not much 'Rolling Stones' in this track. Tells a sad story of the state of the band then, and how little Jagger cared of anything, when allowed a track like this to be released under the name of The Stones... jeez, even Ronnie Wood playing drums (and, yes, sounding horrible)...

- Doxa

Date: August 11, 2014 20:51

Then Happy (Exile's second single) tells the same story smiling smiley

I believe Drew deservedly praised the beautiful Thief In The Night.

I still like This Place Is Empty, btw. And, to get on topic again, I have always loved Sleep Tonight. How can we not love the beautiful guitar(!) and the choruses?

Posted by: TonyMo ()
Date: August 11, 2014 21:17

No offense Keith but the song is terrible and the drumming is worse.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: August 11, 2014 21:19

buffalo7478
Very solid piece that conveys a mood.

Frankly my two fav songs on Dirty Work are both Keith numbers: Sleep Tonight and Too Rude. Neither his best work, but better than most of the rest of the record. The only other song worth listening to is One Hit.

Hate the production on the record (on top of most of the writing).

I mainly disagree with the rest of the quoted post, but I do agree with its first sentence. It is the observation about the mood by the way that makes me consider the song a cousin to "All About You". That is the song's main asset. That is also why I appreciate it higher than for instance "Before They Make Me Run" or "Little T&A" or, for that matter on an album otherwise with exclusively good songs, "Wanna Hold You".

Date: August 11, 2014 21:21

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers

Is isn't, it's just the perfect pre-closer.

OK, you can't just say that and not give your opinion about what the 'shining star' from Dirty Work is.

Date: August 11, 2014 21:29

DandelionPowderman

?

Is Ronnie playing the drums there as well?>grinning smiley<

No, I think Jagger was rather pleased with that song, since it actually is a terrific song, single A-side material, and he sings background vocals there as well... Besides "Happy", despite having just technically speaking the Twins there, nothing but vital and energetic Rolling Stones. Miller, seemingly, had an ear how the drums should sound in a context like that. Whereas "Sleep Tonight" sounds like a bunch of old and tired drunks trying to do a cliche-full by-numbers nightclub number whose audience had already passed out... Maestro Wood's amateur-like over-playing of drums icing the cake beautifully. If that's Keef's idea how the Stones AD 1986 supposed to sound like, good luck...eye rolling smiley Tough times those deep 80's years were...

I also think that "Sleep Tonight" is Keith's worst vocal performance ever in a Rolling Stones recording. There Keith trying to sound like Keef-character took over his natural delivery, which used to be so convincing ("You Got The Silver", "Coming Down Again", "All About You").

I seemingly don't like very much this number...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-11 21:31 by Doxa.

Date: August 11, 2014 21:31

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

?

No, I think Jagger was rather pleased with that song, since it actually is a terrific song, single A-side material, and he sings background vocals there as well... Besides "Happy", despite having just technically speaking the Twins there, nothing but vital and energetic Rolling Stones. Miller, seemingly, had an ear how the drums should sound in a context like that. Whereas "Sleep Tonight" sounds like a bunch of old and tired drunks trying to do a cliche-full by-numbers nightclub number whose audience had already passed out... Maestro Wood's amateur-like over-playing of drums icing the cake beautifully. If that's Keef's idea how the Stones AD 1986 supposed to sound like, good luck...eye rolling smiley

I also think that "Sleep Tonight" is Keith's worst vocal performance ever 23in a Rolling Stones recording. There Keith trying to sound like Keef-character took over his natural delivery, which used to be so convincing ("You Got The Silver", "Coming Down Again", "All About You").

- Doxa

and even still, you'd agree it's the best song on Dirty Work.

Date: August 11, 2014 21:37

treaclefingers

Hmm... not far, but I still would give that title to the song, which follows it....

- Doxa

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: August 11, 2014 21:39

Classic

Date: August 11, 2014 21:40

Doxa
treaclefingers

Hmm... not far, but I still would give that title to the song, which follows it....

- Doxa

so true

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: August 11, 2014 21:43

For me, the only song I like on DW is Keith's other song, Too Rude. Just because there's some life to it and it's kind of enjoyable.

Personally, I just think that a lot of the "interesting" went out out of Keith's voice towards the late 70s, it's like a whole other person from the Exile and earlier days. And, while some of the later Keith songs kind of mask that with some jazzy touches, it still doesn't excite me.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: August 11, 2014 21:43

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: August 11, 2014 21:44

Great song. Always liked these performances, especially the first one.

Date: August 11, 2014 21:47

StonesCat
For me, the only song I like on DW is Keith's other song, Too Rude. Just because there's some life to it and it's kind of enjoyable.

Personally, I just think that a lot of the "interesting" went out out of Keith's voice towards the late 70s, it's like a whole other person from the Exile and earlier days. And, while some of the later Keith songs kind of mask that with some jazzy touches, it still doesn't excite me.

Are you saying Keith's voice don't move you anymore?

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 11, 2014 22:59

drewmaster
DandelionPowderman
StonesCat
drewmaster

Drew

And this one?

Drew

thumbs upthumbs up And of course Thru And Thru.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-11 23:04 by Silver Dagger.

Date: August 11, 2014 23:07

treaclefingers
Doxa
treaclefingers

- Doxa

so true

Doxa answered your question for me, treacle smiling smiley

Date: August 11, 2014 23:11

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

?

No, I think Jagger was rather pleased with that song, since it actually is a terrific song, single A-side material, and he sings background vocals there as well... Besides "Happy", despite having just technically speaking the Twins there, nothing but vital and energetic Rolling Stones. Miller, seemingly, had an ear how the drums should sound in a context like that. Whereas "Sleep Tonight" sounds like a bunch of old and tired drunks trying to do a cliche-full by-numbers nightclub number whose audience had already passed out... Maestro Wood's amateur-like over-playing of drums icing the cake beautifully. If that's Keef's idea how the Stones AD 1986 supposed to sound like, good luck...eye rolling smiley Tough times those deep 80's years were...

I also think that "Sleep Tonight" is Keith's worst vocal performance ever in a Rolling Stones recording. There Keith trying to sound like Keef-character took over his natural delivery, which used to be so convincing ("You Got The Silver", "Coming Down Again", "All About You").

- Doxa

I was referring to the number of actual band members participating - re calling it a Stones number smiling smiley

There are only two on both tunes...

Date: August 11, 2014 23:30

Doxa
"Sleep Tonight" sounds like a bunch of old and tired drunks trying to do a cliche-full by-numbers nightclub number whose audience had already passed out.

- Doxa

Very well put, and also happens to describe every Tom Waits track I've ever heard. In fact, I blame Tom Waits for corrupting Keith's sound. Stuff like "That Feel" is just unlistenable to me.

I would also venture to guess that people who dig Tom Waits will almost certainly dig "Sleep Tonight" and people who don't, won't.

Drew

Date: August 11, 2014 23:47

Thanks MingSubu for that clip - never seen it before. I actually like that relaxed, loose version better than the over-produced way too busy studio version. No Woody's tasteless drumming and also Keith sings better. More soulful and natural warm voice, not that 'over-interpretative drunken pirate crooner meets Tom Waits' one. Actually not so far from those classical Toronto tapes. There is also still that fresh vitality in his performance and presence.

- Doxa

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1950
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home