Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones belong to universe. U2 to little show business...
Posted by: Shezeboss ()
Date: June 13, 2005 13:07

(to my mind,...I know)

Re: Stones belong to universe. U2 to little show business...
Posted by: rknuth ()
Date: June 13, 2005 14:32

at least regarding ticket prices, presale codes, amex presale, amex gold presale, lagacy presale ....

Posted by: Rutger ()
Date: June 13, 2005 14:44

U2 is a nice band, but that's it. Everybody says you can't compare them to the Stones and they are @#$%& right. Not because they are a different band, but because the Stones are in a different league.

Sure, live the Stones aren't as good as they used to be, but The Stones in their prime time defined rock 'n' roll. Mick and Keith are rock 'n' roll. They did something that's beyond music. There is a list of classic songs you can't explain in proper English or in any other language for that matter.

U2 is a good, very solid pop band, probably one of the best. But I would rather see Mick Jagger in a wheel chair singing Sympathy For The Devil than Bono preaching about the 3rd world with that voice that always sounds the same.
Mick and Keith are timeless, U2 is good pop.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: June 13, 2005 14:48

You just gotta remember that the Stones and their ilke pretty well wrote the rule book. There will always be great bands aka U2 but the Stones were at the beginning...

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: June 13, 2005 15:34

U2 is more than just a pop band.

There is no band that re-invented themselves like U2 did in the early nineties.
Achtung Baby is an album from a band with guts. A U2 album but with an entire different sound and that sound is also U2. Very brave, creative and mindblowing work.

When I first played Achtung Baby I though my speakers were broken.
Also Pop, again very daring.

Pop music doesn't take risks like that. (No bad word abaout pop music... there are some terrific pop artists). U2 is a rock band without a narrow view.

Just stop comparing. It sounds like jealousy. Frustrated Stones fans that hate to admit that U2 is more succesful these days.

New stones releases will be of the same calliber as VL, SW or B2B. Nobody thinks they can pull off another Exile.

While you can still expect a new U2 release that can compete with Joshua Tree or AchTung Baby. A band not over his prime. The Stones are.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-06-13 15:35 by BowieStone.

Posted by: Rutger ()
Date: June 13, 2005 16:12

I agree on some points. The Stones will never release another Exile, but that's not the point here. NOBODY will. Achtung baby is very good, but I certainly wouldn't call it rock 'n' roll. Maybe you could call it pop/rock, but that's it. Achtung baby doesn't rank up there with with Exile, Sticky, Who's Next, etc. in terms of innovation, depth, desperation, power and sheer brilliance! It's a good attempt though.

U2 may have reinvented themselves, but that wasn't my point either. I just wonder why people keep on comparing U2 to the Stones (you don't hear people comparing them to Led Z. the Who, Dylan or the Beatles, etc). The Stones are the top in music, together with the all time greats. People are comparing U2 with the Stones only because the Stones are in their sixties and playing world wide stadium tours like they do. The Stones aren't as good as they once were, but at that time the made themselves timeless! U2 is very good pop/Rock band, but don't compare the music to the cream of rock 'n' roll.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2005-06-13 16:19 by Rutger.

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: June 13, 2005 17:32

achtung baby is a terrible album,and comparisons with the best albums ,stones,dylan pink floyd etc. must be a joke.in my opinion they never made a good album.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: June 13, 2005 17:34

"New stones releases will be of the same calliber as VL, SW or B2B. Nobody thinks they can pull off another Exile."
(Bowie Stone, above ): ...What kind of fan are you, Bowie Stone?

Posted by: Rank Outsider ()
Date: June 13, 2005 18:01

Baboon Bro Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------
> (Bowie Stone, above ): ...What kind of fan are
> you, Bowie Stone?

BowieStone has got a very realistic view on this matter,
unlike some of you pathetic dreamers out there who think
they'll release new songs that are as good as JJF or BS.
A new VL, SW or B2B would make be more than satisfied.
You can be a genuine fan without worshipping everything about them Stones.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: June 13, 2005 18:14

Never liked their pop/trendy sound. And to me Bono sounds exactly the same in every song he songs, never changes his tone.

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: June 13, 2005 19:14

U2 suck incredibly much. Plain shit.

Date: June 13, 2005 19:25

"pathetic dreamers" (Rank, above).

And you: are a fan? Right?
If your a fan - well, then I´m not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-06-13 19:44 by Baboon Bro.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: June 13, 2005 19:26

Baboon Bro Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What kind of fan are you, Bowie Stone?

A realistic one, like many.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: June 13, 2005 19:37

Erikjjf is going to "teach" me U2 first hand here in Gothenburg in July.
I saw them in the 80:s here in Gothenburg, but back then, it was more of a happening to me, you could say I went as a "tourist".

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: June 13, 2005 19:39

mickijaggeroo Wrote:
> Erikjjf is going to "teach" me U2 first hand here in Gothenburg in July.

No no! I too am just a "tourist"!

Date: June 13, 2005 19:41

Ok, as two tourists then!

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Date: June 13, 2005 19:44

erikjjf Wrote:
> Baboon Bro Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > What kind of fan are you, Bowie Stone?
>
> A realistic one, like many.

Horray! We´re all believin´ in the Stones:
so everything fine. Or?

Date: June 13, 2005 20:02

BowieStone is absolutely right, as much as I hate to admit it. There will never be another "Golden era" Stones album. But it will be good in it´s own way, I even liked Dirty Work, I like them all. That´s what makes me a Stonesfan.
But hope is the last thing to go, Stonesfans are experts in that area.
Whatever product that will emerge from the Stones, I will love it, and wait for the next one, as I always have.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Date: June 13, 2005 20:47

Well, Ville... Fanship somes and goes, hopefully among us on this board - stays. I believe we´re all goin thru different phases, not always simultaneously.
I´m in my first enthusiastic phase, not thanks to my age (in spite of it, really) because I´m 41 - I admire Kent a lot, young but fan since not so short time; and the entusiasm´s there.

One of the most burning fans I´ve met was Ove - the mythological & one & only Tingvall - met him at the same time as I met Ville, and we tried to drain the nameless bar in the Avenyn in Göteborg 1½ weeks ago. Ove is worried about the new album, tensed. I think I can sense the same thing at Ville... I amire both of you, cool, scarred geezers; not easily touched. But now you´ll be. Touched and moved.

BowieStone will be proved wrong. And erikjjf. And Rank Outsider. And you, Ville; though - smart done - you have left a space for a Surprise Surprise... We all saw the 10th of May, PC-concert that is. And most of us have seen the rehearsal video clip at Rs.com or at other sites.

Remember where you read it: Here & now.

I said the same before PS; everyone did surrender - for some days everybody was on my wavelength. Then suddenly many here forgot the groove & roll at the PC-show.

The boys have a f*ckng atom bomb in their pockets; just like the one Jagger once (back in Dartford early classes) said he was going to build & blow up the world with.

Regards; the Stones profet Evangelista: BB smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1507
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home