Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: any fans of emerson,lake and palmer?
Date: August 5, 2014 02:40

i know pretty opposite of the stones but anyone else a fan of ELP?

Re: OT: any fans of emerson,lake and palmer?
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 5, 2014 02:54

I like some of the lighter, acoustic stuff; From The Beginning, Still ... You Turn Me On. The rest of it, not so much.

Posted by: BIGJAMFAN ()
Date: August 5, 2014 03:12

I have all of their stuff up to Works vol. 2. They are not among my all-time favorites but I think Brain Salad Surgery and Welcome Back My Friends are GREAT!grinning smiley

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: August 5, 2014 03:46

yuk! to each his own. i'm pretty sure i like stuff you wouldn't care for. smileys with beer

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: August 5, 2014 04:08

Jerusalem and Tocatta are great off of BSS. Now most everyone knows Jerusalem but I'm not so sure if it was as popular before the ELP version.

And they certainly did "Fanfare for the common man" and then, a bit later, the Stones put the same instrumental opening their Paris show on Love You Live. Fanfare seemed to show up in a few places after ELP did it.

Trilogy is pretty good, they are one band that I think hit some real highs but could not keep up such quality.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 5, 2014 04:12

Yeah big fan of the first ELP album. Take a Pebble was a masterpiece. Greg Lake was just as good as a guitarist as he was a bass player. Listen to the lead in Karn Evil #9. A lot of guys couldn't hold a candle to that solo.
Saw them in 1978 with quad sound. Great show for the time.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: August 5, 2014 04:19

From the Beginning was one of the first songs I learned to play on guitar. Still a great song, as is Lucky Man. I had the Trilogy album. Those were the days where you had to buy the whole album to get a few songs you liked.

Date: August 5, 2014 04:57

whats more amazing is the band sold millions of albums in america and tons of concert tickets but only had 1 top 40 hit. you read that right folks ELP is a ONE HIT WONDER. truly a band who had such a reputation at being good musicians that they were able to gain fame and popularity pretty much based off of just their skills

Date: August 5, 2014 04:59

More Hot Rocks
Yeah big fan of the first ELP album. Take a Pebble was a masterpiece. Greg Lake was just as good as a guitarist as he was a bass player. Listen to the lead in Karn Evil #9. A lot of guys couldn't hold a candle to that solo.
Saw them in 1978 with quad sound. Great show for the time.

i think he is a better bass player. he is good enough on guitar to take lead but they were smart in letting emerson lead with the keyboards most of the time

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 5, 2014 05:12

Some of you might be interested to know that Greg Lake played on the 2004 Who studio track Real Good Looking Boy.

What was it like for you to work with The Who on “Real Good Looking Boy” in 2004?
I’ve worked with Roger Daltrey quite frequently because we do a yearly show for the Teenage Cancer Trust. We know each other very well from those. One day, I got a call from Roger. He was talking to Pete Townshend and said “We wondered if you wouldn’t mind coming in and playing on this song?” So, I went in and played with them. It’s remarkable because I knew all of The Who during my lifetime, including Keith Moon and John Entwistle. They were fantastic characters and musicians. People tend to forget how good John was as a bass player. He was fantastic. Keith was also tremendous as a drummer. He clowned around and did all sorts of mad stuff, but he could really play those drums. But when you work with Pete and Roger, you definitely know where the sound of The Who really comes from, because Pete writes all the stuff and Roger sings it. The combination of the two of them still has that unmistakable hallmark of The Who.
Pete is an extraordinarily talented musician and really knowledgeable. His musical scope is much broader than people might think. He understands orchestras and big bands. If you look at the range of things he’s written over his lifetime, you can see that he’s a very innovative artist. He’s also a very calm guy. He goes about his stuff in a quiet way. He’s a perfectionist and a dynamic presence.

How did you fit into that song?
Pretty well, because I play very accurately, and so does Pete. We both play very percussively too. That particular song didn’t have a lot of banging around, but it was a good and pleasant experience. We cut the song in just one day—it was really quick. It was fun. The drummer was Zak Starkey, which was nice, because I had toured with his dad Ringo.

Full interview at: [innerviews.org]

Date: August 5, 2014 05:24

keefriffhard4life
whats more amazing is the band sold millions of albums in america and tons of concert tickets but only had 1 top 40 hit. you read that right folks ELP is a ONE HIT WONDER. truly a band who had such a reputation at being good musicians that they were able to gain fame and popularity pretty much based off of just their skills

They were/are sort of a progressive rock supergroup:

Of course, Greg Lake on the Court of the Crimson King album, Wake of Poseidon as well I think. Sings 20th Century Schizoid Man, Court of the Crimson King lead singer, what a song.

Keith Emerson, Nice Keyboardist, Pictures at an Exhibition.

Carl Palmer, I'm not sure of his roots, Atomic Rooster percussionist?

Date: August 5, 2014 05:29

BroomWagon
keefriffhard4life

They were/are sort of a progressive rock supergroup:

Of course, Greg Lake on the Court of the Crimson King album, Wake of Poseidon as well I think. Sings 20th Century Schizoid Man, Court of the Crimson King lead singer, what a song.

Keith Emerson, Nice Keyboardist, Pictures at an Exhibition.

Carl Palmer, I'm not sure of his roots, Atomic Rooster percussionist?

they were in bands before that but those bands were pretty much unknown in the usa when ELP released its first album. only king crimson had some fame prior to ELP forming

Date: August 5, 2014 05:30

tatters
I like some of the lighter, acoustic stuff; From The Beginning, Still ... You Turn Me On. The rest of it, not so much.

Peter Gunn is another tune that they brought into the vogue or at least, resurrected for a new generation to listen to.

But now, ELP's version to me sounds a bit dated and the original sounds even better.

Tarkus is a cool concept, a bit pretentious to hear nowadays with some good parts nonetheless.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: August 5, 2014 06:30

Date: August 5, 2014 06:37

that article by bill wyman is silly. these are jazz and classically influenced musicians. they play in they style that influenced them.thats like saying the black crowes should have played grunge music because being influenced by classic rock was not cool in the 90's

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: August 5, 2014 10:35

Liked them a lot the first half of the 70's.
Haven't listen to them for ages, don't they sound pretty dated today?
Think Tarkus is the album that has survived best.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: August 5, 2014 11:08

I have Pictures At An Exhibition and Brain Salad Surgery, both of which get dusted off every few years and I enjoy them. I've never felt the need to expand the collection though.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: August 5, 2014 11:58

Fanfare For The Common Man on Works by Emerson, Lake & Palmer I used to listen to a lot and the Love You Live intro thumbs up,

Copland's Fanfare was used in 1977 by British rock band Emerson, Lake & Palmer on the album Works Volume 1. The track became one of the band's biggest hits when an edited version was released as a single that year. It peaked at No. 2 in the UK. Keith Emerson had long been an admirer of Copland's Americana style, previously using Copland's Hoedown on the band's Trilogy album in 1972.

An excerpt of Fanfare for the Common Man was used on the Rolling Stones "Love You Live" Album.

Posted by: Gemini ()
Date: August 5, 2014 12:15

runaway
Fanfare For The Common Man on Works by Emerson, Lake & Palmer I used to listen to a lot and the Love You Live intro thumbs up,

Copland's Fanfare was used in 1977 by British rock band Emerson, Lake & Palmer on the album Works Volume 1. The track became one of the band's biggest hits when an edited version was released as a single that year. It peaked at No. 2 in the UK. Keith Emerson had long been an admirer of Copland's Americana style, previously using Copland's Hoedown on the band's Trilogy album in 1972.

An excerpt of Fanfare for the Common Man was used on the Rolling Stones "Love You Live" Album.

Copland heard their recording of Fanfare and loved it.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: August 5, 2014 13:56

Wasn't a big fan but they were huge in Germany in the early 70's.Saw them live on the Tarkus tour.

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: August 5, 2014 16:49

I've really been enjoying the recently released 5.1 version of BSS!smiling smiley

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: August 5, 2014 18:30

Never had the chance to see the 3 of them together.

I did see Emerson and Lake in a theater a couple years ago. Before each number, they explained the origin of what they were about to play. In the middle of their set, they passed around a microphone and took questions from the audience.

Date: August 5, 2014 19:26

BluzDude
Never had the chance to see the 3 of them together.

I did see Emerson and Lake in a theater a couple years ago. Before each number, they explained the origin of what they were about to play. In the middle of their set, they passed around a microphone and took questions from the audience.

wow that sounds really cool. maybe they will do a 45th anniversary tour next year

Date: August 5, 2014 19:37

Love this.

Date: August 5, 2014 19:44

Thommie

Think Tarkus is the album that has survived best.

The Tarkus suite is amazing.

I think they went too far later on, but that's par for the course for musicians that push the boundaries.

Posted by: Floorbird ()
Date: August 5, 2014 21:37

To each his own, I grew up in the sixties when music was made to dance to.
I find Art rock too complicated, they took the fun away and it's way too hard to dance to.

Date: August 5, 2014 23:45

Floorbird
I find Art rock too complicated, they took the fun away and it's way too hard to dance to.

bit of a silly reason. to you go to a symphony and expect to dance too?

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 5, 2014 23:52

I really was a fan of Pictures Of An Exhibition" (I also have the Original By Mussorgsky)..........and of course America

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: August 5, 2014 23:58

Floorbird

[youtu.be]

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 5, 2014 23:58

This is probably their greatest HIT...................

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1889
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home