Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Passages that made you replay over & over
Date: August 1, 2014 05:19

I was driving today, and was thinking about passages in Stonesmusic that made me hit replay or rewind gain and again. Mostly while still discovering songs when they were new that made me sit up and go "this is the best thing I have ever heard!"
There are 3 that come to my mind.
The intro to "Talkin About You". That guitar line with the sustained note that then slinks into the beat, and "Let me tell you bout a girl I know..."

Second, is in "Fingerprint File" @ 3:30 when Jagger's guitar comes back in after the first quiet-down section.

And third is on "Ya-Ya's" when Jagger says "Ah NYC you talk a lot, let's have a look at ya". Mainly because for a long time I couldnt figute out what he was saying. But it sounded incredibly cool.

Re: Passages that made you replay over & over
Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: August 1, 2014 05:29

for me, it's all about guitars

- the Start me up intro is eternal and I can't get tired of it. I must have listened to it a thousand times.

- the live version of Happy in L.A 1975 july 11th. I love the slide guitar of Ronnie

- the live version of When the whip comes down in 1978 (sucking in the 70's version) and here again the two Ronnie's solos and also the part with both Keith and Ron quitars a little bit before the 1st solo.

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: August 1, 2014 06:52

jpasc95

- the live version of When the whip comes down in 1978 (sucking in the 70's version) and here again the two Ronnie's solos and also the part with both Keith and Ron quitars a little bit before the 1st solo.

Wow, you nailed it here. This version (from Detroit, btw) is the single best live recording of the Stones in the Wood era. IMO. I know the Hampton 81 version of Whip gets a lot of love on this board, but man, to me, the this '78 version makes those guys at Hampton sound like they are wearing Depends. Smokin' hot rock on this track from Sucking in the 70's.

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: August 1, 2014 08:41

rocker1
jpasc95

Wow, you nailed it here. This version (from Detroit, btw) is the single best live recording of the Stones in the Wood era. IMO. I know the Hampton 81 version of Whip gets a lot of love on this board, but man, to me, the this '78 version makes those guys at Hampton sound like they are wearing Depends. Smokin' hot rock on this track from Sucking in the 70's.
hi rocker1,
Are you sure it's from Detroit ?
I may be wrong but on my cd (TSP-CD-200-1), it's written Midsouth Coliseum, Memphis, Tennessee, june 28, 1978
Can someone confirm ?

Date: August 1, 2014 09:54

- Ronnie's bass run and Keith's run in the ending of Tie You Up
- Keith's bass at 1:46 here!

Posted by: Raymond82 ()
Date: August 1, 2014 10:31

I can't put my finger on why it's these 5 but here goes;

Rocks Off - after the breakdown when it comes back in with "The sunshine bores the day lights outta me!" That piece of music makes me feel great. It's so powerful.

Brown Sugar - "I bet your mama was a tent show queen..." This to me is the essence of rock and roll. The swagger of the band, the energy, it's a masterpiece. I also love the very end when it stops & Keith says, " Yeah!"

Faraway Eyes - "And life ain't worth a dime..." Don't know about anyone else but I think it sounds desperate and tired and just totally sincere. I love it.

Silver Train - "and I did not know her name!" I could play that all day. The slide guitar on it is so great too.

Waiting On A Friend - The guitar at the start and the first chorus. Man...breaks my heart. It's easily in my top 5 Stones tracks. Flawless. Although, loses a couple of points because Bobby isn't on sax!!

By the way, I could write you a note for most of their songs, these were the first to mind.

Great thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-01 10:38 by Raymond82.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: August 1, 2014 10:35

The first 10 seconds, 20 seconds, 30 seconds of Monkey Man.

Date: August 1, 2014 10:35

I like the one in BS as well thumbs up

But it is: "I bet your mama was a tent show queen" smiling smiley

Date: August 1, 2014 10:38

Noted. Edited! cool smiley

Date: August 1, 2014 10:38

Noted. Edited! cool smiley winking smiley

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: August 1, 2014 10:52

Start Me Up live at Wembley '90 radio broadcast. Just before Mick starts with the 'You and You, you'd make a grown man cry' the guitar onslaught is phenomenal.

Taylor's solo's on YCAGWYW and Angie on the Brussels Affair boot. Likewise, Dead Flowers on L&G.

The whole of Beast Of Burden on Texas '78. My favourite live track ever.

For energy and power, LARS from Brixton '95 and Can't Turn you Loose from Four Flicks. The music elevates everything. Perfection.

She Was Hot from Shine A Light. Where Mick's dancing by Lisa and she screams. Again, it's that Stones magic.

There's a few, I could go on for years!

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: August 1, 2014 11:12

The guitar part of YCAGWYW Brussels Affair when Mick T and Keef are in rhythm and the crescendo at the end of SFM. Also the guitar solo on SFTD from Ya-Ya's. These destroy me the same way no matter how often I play them. Come to think of it JJF (studio version) does the same for me.

Posted by: mudbone ()
Date: August 1, 2014 15:17

Can't you hear me knocking...not the intro, wich is freakin'amazing by itself and some of the best licks keith ever played.

....But, the first C note he hits on the open g tuning right before mick starts singing. Best sound i heard in my life!

ahaha...and it's just 1 note. massive power!

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: August 1, 2014 15:58

swiss

yes, yes, and hell yes!

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: August 1, 2014 16:01

The Intro of Can't you hear me knocking...I love it LOUD.

Date: August 1, 2014 16:15

The intro + the little passage in the instrumental bridge on this one (between 2:31 and 2:44):

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: August 1, 2014 16:26

Its possible, and obviously its an exaggeration, but the guitar solo on You Can't Always Get What You Want from Brussels Affair might be the most beautiful piece of music ever. Literally could listen to Mick Taylor's playing on that for DAYS! He just has perfect tone and his playing is so insanely fluid that its incredible.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 1, 2014 16:29

swiss

yeah that whole intro is quite amazing

Posted by: Hanns Rainsch ()
Date: August 1, 2014 16:52

- the last 3 minutes of Gimmie Shelter from the O2 comeback show (killer killer version)
- the "down the avenue, into the tall bamboo..." part of She Was Hot, especially the live versions

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: August 1, 2014 18:03

Keith's solo in Sympathy. Beggars Banquet but that one on Ya Yas too..

Posted by: moonlightaffair ()
Date: August 1, 2014 18:14

RollingFreak
Its possible, and obviously its an exaggeration, but the guitar solo on You Can't Always Get What You Want from Brussels Affair might be the most beautiful piece of music ever. Literally could listen to Mick Taylor's playing on that for DAYS! He just has perfect tone and his playing is so insanely fluid that its incredible.

+1 thumbs up

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: August 1, 2014 18:24

treaclefingers
swiss

yeah that whole intro is quite amazing

That's one of mine, just nasty, nasty sound on that. My other two are kind of oddball choices:

The ascending/descending flourishes that come in midway thru Crazy Mama as the pace picks up, and continue on through the end.

The main Soul Survivor/Must Be Hell riff in Must Be Hell, towards the end where it repeats over and over as Mick repeats his lines. The verses are not much, but I could listen to the chorus and run out repeatedly.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 1, 2014 18:37

the intro to heartbreaker and the wah wah =pure bliss to my ears.keith hitting the open g chord intro to honky tonk followed by keith's solo in honky tonk (does not get any better in my ears ( the best) the opening verse of sympathy when mick sings "please allow me to introuduce my self" best lyrics ever !!!!!!!!!!! the whole song !to me that is a perfect example of the songwriting genius of Jagger/Richards.midnight ramblers lyrics are out of this world breathtaking .as songwriters Jagger/Richards paint such a wonderful landscape and tell such great stories .to me that is what it is all about !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! p.s. such great guitar work that still to this moment turns me on so much !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-01 19:21 by TheGreek.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: August 1, 2014 19:04

For some reason this one comes back to mind: Back in the day before you had easy access to lyrics, in a car, listening to some tape configuration (cassette, 4 track, 8 track?), in some sort of state of acute heightened awareness, listening to Monkey Man, over and over, asking "What is he saying? Is he saying f***?"

Otherwise the last 2 minutes of this one always make me happy:

Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: August 1, 2014 19:24

The Nicky Hopkins piano breakdown on "Soul Survivor" out to the fadeout. I have literally been listening to it, and BEFORE it fades I will back the CD up to the break, just to ride through it again a second time!

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: August 1, 2014 20:54

I Got The Blues is one of the sounds I like most...that organ blues part...
Moonlight Mile...Sistr Morphine...? Same thing...organ or guitar or..

The very first time they played Like A Rolling Stone...at the Paradiso.. the first 10 or 15 seconds gave more than goose bumps..finally they were at home when singing that song the first time in by far the best location they ever played...best show ever (as they all agree including crew).
Those 20 seconds or so gave something in my eyes and it still does when I hear that (almost the same splendid) version from Brixton just eight weeks later ...

From 00:50 seconds to 01:10 Coming Down Again...it remembers me to my own experiences with a girlfriend and a friend; almost the same story...love can be beautiful even when it hurts.

Loving Cup...piano intro...pampam-pampampam-pupupuw..oh man...those days...
Get me outta here!

Winter..first 30 seconds or so...everything including MJ's nasal or too much throat sort a voice...
Melancholy. Pure melancholy...you have to like that as much as anything new that makes you horny: it's almost the same. Got that you hipsters?? :-)

Plundered My Soul...the best of the last few years or decades. Because it's almost entirely from the seventies probably...the best era for the Stones: filled with melancholy in ballads, blues, rock, country etc.
That sound man with those feelings...Voodoo Lounge has something of that (yeah not much but it does!).

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: August 1, 2014 22:42

2nd half/outro of the original Gimme Shelter made me press rewind a couple of times on a cloudy morning in E. TN last spring... Merry Clayton got to me that morning. Sat there in my car with my eyes closed & the earbuds turned up LOUD! My first student of the day actually came over to my car and knocked on my window (I made myself late for his lesson) to make sure I was OK. I apologized and explaind that I was "lost in a world of Merry Clayton & Keith Richards". He was confused. When we got into the studio, I played him what I was listening to and he said "Got it." Passing it on... I love it!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: August 1, 2014 22:45

Great idea for a thread.

I made this list years ago, but it´s still valid:

There are a few moments during a lot of

Stones tracks where I get shivers everytime I hear it.

MAGIC MOMENTS!

Here are a few (not a ranking):

1. Start Me Up (Still Life):

a) Keith´s riffs in the beginning;

b) Charlie joining him;

c) the first riff after "You make a grown man cry" Arrrgggh!

2. Imagination (Still Life):

a) Keith´s riff after "Running away with me" in the second refrain;

b) Keith´s riff again after "Ev´ry night I hope and pray"

3. Saint Of Me (Bridges To Babylon):

a) Mick´s lyrics and voice;

b) Ronnie´s guitar;

c) Billy Prestons organ, especially at the end;

d) Charlie´s drumsound

4. Street Fighting Man (Beggars Banquet):

a) the second acoustic guitar joining at the beginning (sounds like a bell);

b) the instrumental preludes before a new verse starts, especially the last one after "Get down!"

5. Gimme Shelter (Let It Bleed):

a) the whole beginning incl. Charlie joining with his entire set;

b) the lines "Mmh, the flood is threat´ning my very life today";

c) the words "Gimme, gimme shelter!";

d) Mick´s harmonica

6. Beast Of Burden (Some Girls):

a) "You can put me out";

b) the chords after that;

c) "...on the street"

7. You Got The Silver (Let It Bleed):

a) Al Kooper´s organ during the instrumental part between second and third verse

8. Rocks Off (Exile On Main St):

a) the piano joining the song shortly before "What´s the matter with the boy?"

b) getting back to the hard beat: "The sunshine bores the daylight out of me!"

9. You Got Me Rocking (Voodoo Lounge):

a) Keith´s killer riffs;

b) Ronnie´s slide, especially during the last 30 seconds

10. Sister Morphine (Sticky Fingers):

a) the piano after 2nd verse;

b) slide and drums joining in

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-01 22:46 by TooTough.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 1, 2014 23:19

Nobody's mentioned "Slave" yet? confused smiley This one's hypnotically good. The intro, or the guitar breaks or Jagger's vocals.

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: August 2, 2014 00:13

Gotta go with the guitar solos in Ya-Yas Sympathy. That's where I first perfected my dueling air guitar chops.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1933
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home