Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Track Talk: Sittin’ On A Fence
Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: December 22, 2014 14:59

I mean that is not a warhorse, even it is not a popular one amongst people outside RS hard fans. But it is a perferct song

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: December 22, 2014 22:07

..a pity it was not in place of 'take it or leave it" on "Aftermath" LP

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 22, 2014 22:11

This is the earliest Stones song that I love. Probably tempered somewhat by my love for my older sister who pretty much crammed it down my throat before I had a chance to decide for myself.

peace

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: December 30, 2014 07:08

BTW it is mentioned in the lyrics of "Big Day Coming" by Yo La Tengo:

Let's wake up the neighbors, let's turn up our amps
The way that we used to without a plan
We can play a Stones song, "Sitting On a Fence"
And it'll sound pretty good, 'til I forget how it ends

Date: December 30, 2014 13:44

Naturalust
This is the earliest Stones song that I love. Probably tempered somewhat by my love for my older sister who pretty much crammed it down my throat before I had a chance to decide for myself.

peace

Not Satisfaction, Get Off Of My Cloud, Under My Thumb, I Am Waiting, High And Dry, I'm Free, The Last Time or The Spider And The Fly? smiling smiley

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 30, 2014 21:19

DandelionPowderman
Naturalust

peace

Not Satisfaction, Get Off Of My Cloud, Under My Thumb, I Am Waiting, High And Dry, I'm Free, The Last Time or The Spider And The Fly? smiling smiley

Under My Thumb is right up there for sure but since it was recorded a few months after Sittin' on a Fence I guess I'm still technically correct. But thanks for reminding me that I really need to explore more of the Stones earlier material. I think I liked Satisfaction better when I first heard it sometime in the 70's but like a lot of overplayed songs, it's kinda fallen out of favor. I'm sure it was friggin' amazing in 1965 .

peace

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: December 30, 2014 21:49

Silver Dagger
drewmaster

As a confirmed bachelor, I particularly enjoy the line, “They just get married ‘cause there's nothing else to do”. A modest yet brilliant track.

Drew

I always loved that line too, in my batchelor years. And I always felt a chill when Mick sung the final verse:

The day can come when you get old and sick and tired of life
You just never realize
Maybe the choice you made wasn't really right
But you go out and you don't come back at night

To me it implied a possible suicide which was way out of the ballpark as far as pop lyric writing was concerned. In fact Mick touched on some really dark subject matter around this time with Mother's Little Helper and Paint It, Black. Perhaps he was even the first goth rocker.

Yikes! I figured that line was about walking out on a marriage, i.e. having an affair. But the dark interpretation works too, it certainly adds an edge to it.

Outstanding song, btw, right up there with Mother's Little Helper etc.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2397
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home