Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Cultural glue...
Posted by: shidoobee ()
Date: June 10, 2005 19:37

I've come to see The Stones as some sort of cultural glue... Building relations between 4 generations, all sexes, races, cultures. When we travel around the world to see the Stones, we meet people from every continent, and the only thing we have in common? The Rolling Stones! But that's enough! Wherever in the world you may choose to go, bring a Stones T-shirt. Nice people will always approach you, and the cultural glue starts working. Its world wide, contageous, one of very few excisting things we can call CULTURAL SHARE WARE. Let's hear your stories, people you've met, friends you've made, just because you're a die hard STones-fan!

Re: Cultural glue...
Posted by: mark ()
Date: June 10, 2005 22:35

Shidoobee...excellent thought and insight.

As a fifty year old Stones lifer I love commenting to some teen..."nice shirt". It opens up allot of conversation sitting in waiting rooms. Usually brings the parent into the conversation as well.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 10, 2005 23:11

all right, since you ask ... last week i did two workshops for English teachers and future English teachers, entitled (ta da):
The Rolling Stones & Their Cultural Impact.
i doubt that would've happened if i weren't so Stoned. :E
the workshops went over really well. one of the cool comments afterwards was from a 20-year-old girl who came up to me all excited and said: "up until now i thought the Stones were an *old* band! boy was i wrong!"

~*YEAH!*~
so glad i was able to correct that misunderstanding!

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-06-10 23:11 by with sssoul.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: June 11, 2005 22:09

Cultural Epoxy is more the subject. This whole thing reminds me of the Grateful Dead only it spans the generations and countries.

I was on a bus trip. A guy came and sat next to me - never met him before in my life. He said: "The best Rolling Stones album is Exile on Main Street" Very Bizarre. Didn't even say Hi.

So, the whole trip we talked about the boys. Never will forget that. Happened in Europe.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 12, 2005 00:13

About a week ago saw a young guy about 18, wearing a Stones T-shirt. So I said to him "Hey man great band" He stopped and told me he only had two Stones albums but loved them and hoped to see them live this time around. We yacked on about the Stones for several minutes then wished each other all the best...seemed like a nice kid.

ROCKMAN

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1199
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home