Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Voodoo Lounge 20th Anniversary
Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 19, 2014 09:23

As time goes by we're going to see more and more people who for whatever reason have come late to the party and have not experienced the albums in chronological order. The soundtrack-to-my-youth effect will wear out and people will learn the Stones the way they learn other classics - beginning with the best known stuff and discovering the rest in more or less random order. It'll be interesting to see what judgements they come up with about the relative value of the different eras, but by then I won't be around to see it.

Posted by: LastStopThisTown ()
Date: July 19, 2014 21:51

Good strong album... was always disappointed with follow up BtB, THAT was over produced IMO.
Also enjoyed the MTV specials they had on at the time, the making of documentary, the part with Charlie in the stairwell recording drums smiling smiley

Posted by: Gooo ()
Date: July 20, 2014 00:25

I even like the perfecto disco mix of you got me rocking

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: July 20, 2014 00:43

Just gave it a listen this evening - first time in years - and thoroughly enjoyed probably 90% of it. As others have said, there's an excellent 40 minute album there. Perhaps it's time to revisit Steel Wheels next. I remember REALLY liking that when it came out.

Date: July 20, 2014 00:58

Gooo

+1. One of Paul Oakenfold's best remixes. Still sounds great today.

Date: July 20, 2014 01:01

Love the girls singing

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: July 20, 2014 01:41

LastStopThisTown
Good strong album... was always disappointed with follow up BtB, THAT was over produced IMO.
Also enjoyed the MTV specials they had on at the time, the making of documentary, the part with Charlie in the stairwell recording drums smiling smiley
Agree all around

Date: July 20, 2014 16:02

Also love the remixes of love is strong and I go wild

Date: July 20, 2014 16:03

Gooo
Also love the remixes of love is strong and I go wild

The disco mix of LIS on the B-side of the single?

Date: July 20, 2014 16:05

Yes and there is a good rock mix too

Date: July 20, 2014 16:10

Yeah, the Clearmountain mix. I like that one better than the Teddy Riley mix.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-20 16:12 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: July 20, 2014 18:36

Yeah it cranks, guitars are awesome

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: July 20, 2014 22:56

I always liked this album, quite a lot actually. I thought the material was pretty strong, Keith's in particular, and it really sounded like they were working hard to put together a strong collection of songs-- they were working with a new producer who obviously wasn't afraid to offer direction, and they
did a really good job. What I like about it most, was that it sounded like real songs-- not just things built around a riffs.
The Voodoo Brew and other cool Voodoo bootleg box sets released around that time also contain a wealth of different versions( Sparks Will Fly w/ Keith on lead vocals , etc ) as well as different mixes, added tunes, etc--
Well done in my opinion !

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: July 21, 2014 00:22

Probably my favourite Stones albums and the one that made me a fan. My dad worked at Volkswagen at the time and we had VIP tickets to the gig in Zeltweg/Austria. My first gig, I must have been 11-12. Great memories.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 21, 2014 01:49

LittleRockFitToTop
Gooo

+1. One of Paul Oakenfold's best remixes. Still sounds great today.

I really dug that, and put it on a cassette compilation in 1994.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 21, 2014 01:56

bob r
I always liked this album, quite a lot actually. I thought the material was pretty strong, Keith's in particular, and it really sounded like they were working hard to put together a strong collection of songs-- they were working with a new producer who obviously wasn't afraid to offer direction, and they
did a really good job. What I like about it most, was that it sounded like real songs-- not just things built around a riffs.
The Voodoo Brew and other cool Voodoo bootleg box sets released around that time also contain a wealth of different versions( Sparks Will Fly w/ Keith on lead vocals , etc ) as well as different mixes, added tunes, etc--
Well done in my opinion !

I think they were trying to regroup after Bill quit. There hadn't been a lineup change in 20 years and I think they were worried about chemistry, and quite frankly, being relevant. It was a little weird that first cover of Rolling Stone where they were now a quartet. I think that vulnerability led them to be overly retro. But who knows? They might have been calculating to introduce themselves to a new audience. There's a few great songs on Voodoo Lounge. When they did try, or Mick did, to be relevant on the BTB album, it didn't work out that well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-21 09:37 by 24FPS.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2014
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home