Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Voodoo Lounge 20th Anniversary
Posted by: Christos ()
Date: July 12, 2014 11:36

I was certain somebody would have started a thread on the 20th anniversary of the relase of Voodoo Lounge (11 July 1994) but was surprised not to find anyhting.

It wasn't their back catalogue that made me a true fan, but this amazing album!

LOVE IS STRONG

YOU GOT ME ROCKING

I GO WILD

OUT OF TEARS

Re: Voodoo Lounge 20th Anniversary
Posted by: milio77 ()
Date: July 12, 2014 12:16

That's the first Stones album that I bought as a teenager whenit came out. Also made me a fan. Wow, 20 years hace passed... Yes, a true classic for me!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 12, 2014 12:43

<<20th anniversary of the relase of Voodoo Lounge (11 July 1994) but was surprised not to find anyhting.>>

That must mean it's not considered a classic, certainly not around here.

It only took Exile a few years to become a classic--which it certainly was by the time I started listening in the early eighties.

I guess it depends on your starting point, which for my generation was Tattoo You. Many of my age would consider that a classic, and the band always plays Start Me Up, an indispensable part of their set list, and therefore a classic.

But is anything from Voodoo Lounge considered "indispensable"? Will the audience leave disappointed and feeling cheated if they didn't hear You Got Me Rocking?

Probably not.

Anything recorded after 1981 is considered "later" material.

But if you were just coming of age in 1994 and you were first becoming acquainted with the Stones at that time, then I'm sure it must take you back, as Tattoo you does for me.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: July 12, 2014 12:45

My first tour from this album. Was 14, or 15, and what memories.

Love the album and the tour!!!

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: July 12, 2014 12:54

A Classic!

Dylan at Stavern, Norway.
Posted by: s-asla ()
Date: July 12, 2014 12:55

Comletely new setlist this time. Awesome.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 12, 2014 12:56

I just really don't like this album. I find it very badly recorded, and it is very much a 'concept' album, with the Stones trying too hard to sound like the Stones. Strangely the only songs I like are Sweethearts Together and Mean Disposition. All else of fodder.

Mathijs

Date: July 12, 2014 13:33

I still like The Worst and Moon Is Up, and found LIS to be one of their strongest singles in a long time when it came out.

Yeah, there is something about Sweethearts Together indeed.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: July 12, 2014 14:26

stonehearted

But is anything from Voodoo Lounge considered "indispensable"? Will the audience leave disappointed and feeling cheated if they didn't hear You Got Me Rocking?

Probably not.

Anything recorded after 1981 is considered "later" material.

I would say the Love Is Strong are among their most immortal songs. If the Stones had continued to perform it live, we would have had a bonafide classic.
Still, I hear the song on the radio from time to time, which convince me that the song is still remembered.

Voodoo Lounge made me a fan of this band. A classic? Well, not quite, but then again it has become fashionable to talk negatively about any Stones studio album after 1978 or even 1972. Some people even claim that they will not hear these later albums because they are bad, which I find hilarious. How can people consider later period Stones bad if they haven't heard a note of it?

Please, take time and listen to Voodoo Lounge. I still find it very very good, with many good songs. Again, there is a fantastic 12-track album hidden in it.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: July 12, 2014 14:27

I remember buying this album the minute I got out of work the day it came out... but had to work again shortly after and didn't have a chance to listen that evening. I had to work the next morning, and got up at 5AM or so to have a first complete listen. I remember the goosebumps I felt with Mick and Keith's harmony on the chorus of The Worst... Saw both Foxboro, MA shows on that tour. It was a great time. First album without BW, though, which was a bummer. Still, while not a perfect album, definitely a decent one, diverse and much better, I thought, than Steel Wheels.

Posted by: HighwayBound ()
Date: July 12, 2014 14:28

I got into the Stones around 1991 at 16 so I fall into the class where this album is special to me. I vividly recall going out to buy it and the CD-single for Love Is Strong so I could get The Storm. I will have to play it a few times today.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: July 12, 2014 15:24

Well, i kinda like the album. Love is strong is a great song, hope hey play it next year in London. There are about 8 good songs on it, in my opinion. The worst is Great !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah , one of my favourite albums, maybe in the top 6.

Jeroen

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: July 12, 2014 15:26

It had occurred to me, I remember picking the CD up the day it was released....then it occurred to me that I've been a real fan of this band since 1981!...33 years and counting

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Date: July 12, 2014 15:31

My first contemporary studio album and tour as well - the LIS video was all over MTV and VH1. This was the era of big-budget MTV videos and David Fincher and the Stones delivered.

I think it is a fine, fine album. It does include one of Mick's last "go-to" live songs, "You Got Me Rocking." Mick's penchant for keeping current also resulted in a great remix by Paul Oakenfold. (Which helped to balance out the over-all retro sound of the record)

I know most of the old timers won't consider it a "classic" per se, but it did make a fairly big splash in an era dominated by Seattle grunge and alternative music and turned a lot of Gen Xers onto the Stones. Along with Bridges to Babylon, it was probably the last contemporary material they released to reach a younger audience. I personally think Bridges to Babylon is a stronger record, but "Saint of Me," "Anybody Seen My Baby," or "Out of Control" didn't seem to make the same splash as LIS did when the video came out.

I can't get over all of the 20th anniversaries this year:

VL - the Stones
Mellow Gold - Beck
The Downward Spiral - NIN
Parklife - Blur
American Recordings - Johnny Cash
Last of the Independents - the Pretenders
Ill Communication - the Beastie Boys
Sleeps With Angels - Neil Young
Dummy - Portishead
Definitely Maybe - Oasis
From the Cradle - Eric Clapton
Protection - Massive Attack
Monster - R.E.M.
No Quarter - Jimmy Page & Robert Plant
Wildflowers - Tom Petty
MTV Unplugged - Nirvana
Pulp Fiction - OST
Reality Bites - OST

1994 was such a great year for music. (And my freshman year of college) Such a blur now, lol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-12 15:32 by LittleRockFitToTop.

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: July 12, 2014 16:53

Voodoo Lounge was and remains a really great album, i bought it the day it came out and it basically soundtracked that summer and the next one too when i saw the Stones at Wembley with my other favourite band the Black Crowes who let us not forget brought out the magnificent Amorica in autumn 94. 94 was indeed a great year for music, personally i was glad to see the back of grunge and loved the whole Britpop scene as well as the Crowes and ofcourse the Stones. Happy memories.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: July 12, 2014 17:25

20 years already?? WOW I sure am getting old as this seems like it just came out a few years back to me.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 12, 2014 17:27

I wanted so much to love this album after the lukewarm Steel Wheels. However, VL just feels incomplete and erratic. Some great stuff on it, like The Worst and Mean Disposition, but some total vacuous crap. And I agree, the production was not too great. Hollow sounding. They could have edited this down to a pretty good single album, but not sure I would trust them to pick the strongest material!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-12 17:59 by whitem8.

Posted by: The Mez ()
Date: July 12, 2014 17:35

I really like the album overall.

Favs: Love Is Strong, The Worst, Brand New Car, Moon Is Up, Sweethearts Together, Baby Break It Down, Thru & Thru, Out Of Tears, Sparks Will Fly

Enjoy / avg: You Got Me Rocking, Blinded By Rainbows, New Faces, Mean Disposition

Poor: I Go Wild

Awful: Suck On The Jugular

I really like the sound/ production of the album

MEZ

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: July 12, 2014 18:46

I really enjoyed the album when it came out. It's not one that I revisit that often. I'm not sure why. 1994 was a fantastic year for movies and music. Cannot believe it's been 20 years!

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: July 12, 2014 19:05

The Mez
Poor: I Go Wild

Have you tried listening to the Brixton Academy version? That's what made me love the song.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-12 19:14 by Bastion.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 12, 2014 19:10

Mathijs
I just really don't like this album. I find it very badly recorded, and it is very much a 'concept' album, with the Stones trying too hard to sound like the Stones. Strangely the only songs I like are Sweethearts Together and Mean Disposition. All else of fodder.

Mathijs

Blah blah blah blah. Always complaining.

Date: July 12, 2014 19:15

geordiestone
94 was indeed a great year for music, personally i was glad to see the back of grunge and loved the whole Britpop scene as well as the Crowes and ofcourse the Stones. Happy memories.

I agree with this in general. I was never a huge fan of the Seattle grunge scene (too much angst), but I did like a of other alternative bands at the time. R.E.M. was my favorite, but they had been around for a long while.

The artists that rose in the wake of that whole scene are the ones I really connected with. It was sort of like the whole post-punk scene after the Sex Pistols. Brit Pop was almost a reaction to the whole earnest Seattle scene. In the UK you also had the rise of trip-hop, and in the US more artists incorporated sampling and hip-hop beats into their music. (Which of course the Stones would finally do when they collaborated with the Dust Brothers on BTB )

'94 was also a big roots revival year - Clapton's From the Cradle, Bonnie Raitt's Longing in Their Hearts, the Black Crowes' Amorica, and I would put VL in that category as well. Even Nirvana covered Leadbelly on their MTV Unplugged album.

I also forgot that Grace by Jeff Buckley was released in '94. Man, what a year.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-12 19:17 by LittleRockFitToTop.

Posted by: winter ()
Date: July 12, 2014 20:12

This album suffered like a lot of bands records since the late 1980's; namely, everybody put out an hour or more of music because they could on CD. But very very few bands have more than a decent 40 minute record in them for each release. This album, along with SW, B2B, aBB would have been much stronger if it was just 40 minutes long.

I dug VL out the other day (I have it on cassette, hah, because I didn't have a turntable or cd player in 1994 and had to hear it) and found some of the songs refreshing. We know from VoodooStew boots, etc that there were some other songs and stuff that they were working with, but even with the songs they put on the release they could have pared it down to a much stronger 9-10 song album. Would have strengthened their post-TY studio output legacy to have all their post-DW records only 40-ish minutes really.

I really enjoyed listening to Moon Is Up and Thru and Thru today, and yes, LIS should have been a warhorse played on every tour since. Happy 20th, VL!

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: July 12, 2014 20:43

They play one song off that album what a shame. the best lead track is never played what a shame

Posted by: Gooo ()
Date: July 12, 2014 20:43

I love sweet hearts together

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: July 12, 2014 20:54

IF any album deserves a deluxe box treatment its this one. A real lost opportunity at a latter day classic because the material was there. The selection process was off on this one.

Posted by: Mabru ()
Date: July 12, 2014 21:11

Still a great album!! I play it very often even all The great outtakes boxes of the album!

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: July 12, 2014 21:24

I like this album but I agree that it's perhaps too long. Take few songs off and it would be much better. I have the LP version so to me Thru & Thru is the only song to end it. Infact, I think I've never even heard of Mean Disposition. If it's not on the LP, it doesn't exist grinning smiley Okay, it was eventually released in 2010 LP version.

My 1 LP version:
1. Love Is Strong
2. You Got Me Rocking
3. Sparks Will Fly
4. Moon Is Up
5. Out Of Tears

1. I Go Wild
2. Brand New Car
3. Blinded By Rainbows
4. Baby Break It Down
5. Thru And Thru

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-12 21:31 by Single Malt.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: July 12, 2014 21:31

My favorite modern day Stones album. Love Is Strong destroyed me immediately and still does. Only thing comparable for me is Plundered My Soul. VL was also a great tour for me, the first time I saw them more than once. Turned out to be 9 concerts around Germany. I was on a voodoo high all the way up to Babylon. The only time in history something like that happened to me with any band.smiling smiley

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: July 12, 2014 21:52

Great album, maybe their last full album as band (B2B was two solo albums combined and ABB was a Mick's solo album with Keith on guitar with Charlie and Ronnie playing their part at deadline), 1994 was a great year for music, one of the last before the R&B/Rap buried the rock from the mainstream radio or tv forever.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2630
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home