Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Credit where credit is due
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 9, 2005 19:50

I don't think the Stones get enough credit for working with such a diverse group of musicians. Racial, sexual, and national lines are all crossed. Lots of performers talk a good game in these areas, but very few back it up.

Re: Credit where credit is due
Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: June 9, 2005 20:00

I was thinking about this very subject the other day because a Blue Magic song came on Launch Cast Radio (Yahoo) and I started to think about people that have played with the Stones both studio and live. Except for recent tours, it seemed they weren't having guests artists for commercial reasons but more because the Stones were fans of those people.

I always hated Dave Matthews on Memory Motel...I mean, it was just silly. But then playing with John Lee Hooker, Bukka White, and Buddy Guy,Page, is outstanding. And let's not forget EC.

Date: June 9, 2005 20:06

Yeah, Dave ruins MM. I thought I was the only person in the world who didn't dig this guy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-06-09 20:07 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: Miss U. ()
Date: June 9, 2005 21:07

They passed on Georgio Gomelsky in favor of Andrew because Andrew was English. They passed on Harvey Mandel for the same reason.

[p207.ezboard.com]

Date: June 9, 2005 21:25

True, but they have tried to give credit to the musicians who inspired them (Muddy, Chuck, Howlin' Wolf, etc.) and have not let the usual barriers affect this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-06-09 22:09 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: June 10, 2005 00:09

I don´t thnink MM versio in No Security is THAT BAD!!

Really c´mon don´t exagerate!!

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: June 10, 2005 10:35

The Stones have done MONUMENTAL work in getting various people recognized by the masses. As far back as Howlin Wolf on "Shindig" with Brian introducing him and then sitting on the floor like the fabs nodding his head in time. Chuck berry as much as he hates to admit it owes a huge debt to Keith and the Stones. Jagger's singing and choices of covers e.g Solomon Burke,. Session people like Plummer, Keys, Price, Hopkins, the jazz great Sonny Rollins, Sugar Blue, oh man I can't even begin to name how many.

Posted by: Milo Yammbag ()
Date: June 10, 2005 10:41

I have always thought that the Stones were very generous to all the musicians who influenced them and played with them. They were almost always credited and spoken of very highly by band members.

The only person I know who has bitched about the Stones is Ry Cooder, who seems to feel that he "created" G-Tuning. G-Tuning was an off-shoot of banjo playing and the boys down in the Delta, once they got a guitar tuned it like a banjo.

Milo, NYC
I taught you everything

Date: June 10, 2005 15:42

They did list Robert Johnson's "Love in Vain" and "Stop Breaking Down" as Traditional originally. I guess this allowed Jagger/Richards to receive songwriting royalties. They had to know that Johnson wrote these. Ry Cooder = great guitar player, but he always claims he wrote "Honky Tonk Women". No way!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1858
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home