Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Bill Wyman
Posted by: mickjagger1009 ()
Date: June 9, 2005 19:27

Every tour now, even though I'm excited, I still miss Bill Wyman being in the band. To me, the Stones sound so much better with him than D. Jones. Also, I miss the Stones being a 5 man unit. I don't know, I can't explain it... its just seemed like all was right in the world when the Stones were 5 guys. Anyone else miss Bill?

"You'll be studying history and you'll be down the gym. And I'll be down the pub, probably playing pool and drinking."

Re: Bill Wyman
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: June 9, 2005 19:32

lotta folks are angered that he left...but when you take the emotional content out of it - I think we all agree with your assessment. Bill was an INTEGRAL part of the Stones sound - never more so than on the '81 tour. They really haven't sounded "quite right" since he left. Darryl's a fine player and all - but he doesn't have the "personality" and "lyrical" style of playing that Bill offered. I guarantee you that Charlie misses him dearly (as a friend and a stage partner).

Posted by: Manhattan ()
Date: June 9, 2005 19:34

Yeah, we all miss Bill and the constant grin on his face.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 9, 2005 19:35

Bill's work on Miss You and Just My Imagination (both live and studio) is superb. He is missed. Darryl a good player, but very technical, not much emotion.

Posted by: BostonStrangler ()
Date: June 9, 2005 19:53

Bill's new album is pretty good and makes me wish that he would at least be involved in the recording process..Peace.

Posted by: shidoobee ()
Date: June 9, 2005 19:54

Yes! I miss him. He was - and still is - a great musician. His bass lines were wonderfull, perfect for the Stones-sound. The right man in the right place. An underrated bass player. Brilliant! I was hoping he'd play with the rest of the boys at Twickenham the summer og 2003, or the Astoria, but it seems both sides have too much pride to just shake hands and say: OK, it was fun, lit's do it again. For the love of music, for the experience and joy for our fans... Wouldn't it be GREAT?

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: June 9, 2005 20:56

me too...as strange as he may be, he was a rolling stone..worts and all. i rather have them all back than fillers or fill in's...thats why i like it, if they had mick taylor back and ronnie on bass.. (taylor would have to lose some weight firsts)...
but still i would like to have bill back on board with the stones...bill is the only stone bass player...now he'a a stone alone! ha...

Posted by: Miss U. ()
Date: June 9, 2005 21:11

If the stones know a good thing when they see it, they should have Mick T and Bill Wyman guest on some shows this tour!

[p207.ezboard.com]

Posted by: shidoobee ()
Date: June 9, 2005 21:33

yES, OF COURSE THEY SHOULD! But they're too produ to beg. Even though they do a brilliant version of "Ain't to proud to beg"... There's pride and hurt feelings involved on the other side, too! Pride aside! Give it too us! Dammit.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: June 9, 2005 22:07

Love your avatar, Miss U. Love those Black & Blue cover photos. Anyone know where the photo session took place?

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: June 9, 2005 23:17

yeah and where can I find the photos? They are great!

Posted by: stones40 ()
Date: June 9, 2005 23:45

Stone alone Bill Wyman was the ultimate bass player for the Rolling Stones and he has not been replaced.
We need to remember that Bill decided after 30 years to quit the Stones and do his own thing which being in the band prevented him from doing.
Bill also had no money problems after he received his share for the Steel Wheels tour which made the decision easy for him to make.
Wish we were all in that position after working for 30 years.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 10, 2005 00:21

We should respect Bill for what he has done for and with the Stones but we should also respect him for his decision to quit in 1991 or 92. But I don't miss him anymore to be honest.

Posted by: Miss U. ()
Date: June 10, 2005 00:55

Thanks T&A and LA. I don't know where a collection of the photos are, just found this one. I also like the one on the inside cover of them at night on the beach with those glow sticks! Wonder if they were trying to spell something....

[p207.ezboard.com]

Posted by: Pserchia ()
Date: June 10, 2005 02:40

Is the photographer for Black and Blue named Hiro? I think that is true, but if someone knows for sure, please post a confirmation.

By the way, David Bailey's book Rock and Roll Heroes has some terrific outtakes of his sessions with the Stones, including Goats Head Soup and Jumpin' Jack Flash. It's an oversize, lavishly illustrated book --and pricey, but I scored one on eBay for $5.

Posted by: RankOutsider ()
Date: June 10, 2005 04:31

After listening to the recent PC stuff the 'only' thing I missed was Bill. (Where's the bottom baby!) Darryl has that 'too much treble' sound so typical of bass players that use Fenders (does he use a Jazz or Precision?). While you can get a heavy bottom sound with Fenders, some players just don't. Bill did even when he was using a Fender (Mustang).

And it's not just that, (his playing/sound), let's not forget his contribution to the song writing over the years, "Jumpin' Jack Flash" for one. He was a great contributor to The Stones overall sound, just as Charlie is. He is sorely missed.

Having said all that let's face it he ain't comin' back, so Darryl, pack those punches heavy, we are with you.

I ain't stupid, I'm just guitarded.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: June 10, 2005 10:28

I remember those pics from Miss U's avatar came out right around the release of B & B. They were inside the songbook for B&B. There is a great solopic of Keith where he looks just terrible. Real bad skincomplexion. And that jacket...that is so Keith!
The inside pics on the album: for a long time I used to see each Stone's personality in the pattern of the cigarette tip. Each of the five whirls had a distinctive quality to it that matched the function within the Rolling Stones.

Posted by: Georges ()
Date: June 10, 2005 18:25

Yes, I miss Bill Wyman, me too. He is THE bass player of the Stones.
I saw him eighteen times with the Rhythm Kings. Each time, he was great. Today, the Stones would be greater with him.
I also could talk with him several times and take photos with him. Each time, he was very friendly. He is a nice person and a great musician... He is the man to play with Charlie.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: June 10, 2005 19:15

Yes, I agree Bill was A STONE par excellence, whatever he thinks/feels or the others think in terms of personality/'group dynamic' issues. He was to the Stones (as bassist) what McCartney & Entwistle were to their bands - playing w/ distinct personality (B's dark, deep, bluesy sound 'melting into the drums' as he put it) & looking great most of the time too. When he left the Stones in '93, he'd already released 4 solo albums, a Willie & Poorboys album, 2 soundtracks, & back to '64 or '65, many, many sessions & productions - so I don't think not being able to explore outside projects is the issues - I assume he didnt want to tour w/ the RS, or had a new wife & kids etc. I miss him, but I like the albums they've cut since '94 too. I recall, during '94-95 all those Voodoo b-sides came out, hearing "So Young" & immediatly his style/presence just jumped out at me - it felt like home again!

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: June 10, 2005 21:12

Well I dont miss him.

I love his playing & his time with Stones, he was a
irreplaceable fifth (or sooner sixth with Stu counted).

Soont time we regard Darryl as a Stone (maybe even Ronnie?!).

I long to see Bill playing in my olĀ“ hometown Sundsvall
(note he did pick his wife from these neighborhoods);
but for the missing part its with my ex... The one I got my first
kid with... No feelings at all, have a good life.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: June 11, 2005 21:15

He will be back.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: June 11, 2005 21:17

In heaven he will.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: June 11, 2005 21:23

Bro: You don't think he will go back. Heck, this is the ace card to continue touring.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 11, 2005 21:34

>>Is the photographer for Black and Blue named Hiro? I think that is true, but if someone knows for sure, please post a confirmation.<<

Hiro is for sure the photographer of Miss U's avatar.
interesting interpretation of those glowsticks, Chelsea Drugstore!
i'll have to ponder that. :E

and yeah, Bill is a real rock & roller for sure, and a great great bass player.
i always wondered if the Stones covering Like a Rolling Stone at that particular point wasn't meant as a sideways sort of farewell to Bill:
how does it feel to be on your own?
(if Chelsea Drugstore can read personality profiles into glowstick squiggles, i reckon i'm entitled to read skewed messages into cover songs!)

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: June 11, 2005 23:56

Yeah come back Bill.A great musician,brilliant archivist,walking encyclopedia,rebel with a cause.

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: June 12, 2005 01:41

Neither Bill nor Mick T regretted leaving the band, so any fan-related desires to bring them back is Quixotic leveling against windmills. Give it up, people.

We have their legacy, and we have the future--it would serve most of us better to not dwell upon the former, and look forward to the latter.

Posted by: RankOutsider ()
Date: June 12, 2005 06:02

We're lucky to still have the band in any form. And, even though I can accept the fact that Bill ain't comin' back, it still pains me that he's not.

I ain't stupid, I'm just guitarded.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: June 13, 2005 03:27

Chelseadrugstore I used to look at the Stones' cigarette-tip doodles in the same way - expressive of personality. BTW I recall reading the Black & Blue cover was shot somewhere in Florida in January 1976. And Bill and Charlie and Ian Stewart sound great together on the London Howlin Wolf sessions, too...

Posted by: rknuth ()
Date: June 13, 2005 14:30

RankOutsider Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> After listening to the recent PC stuff the 'only'
> thing I missed was Bill. (Where's the bottom
> baby!) Darryl has that 'too much treble' sound so
> typical of bass players that use Fenders (does he
> use a Jazz or Precision?). While you can get a
> heavy bottom sound with Fenders, some players just
> don't. Bill did even when he was using a Fender
> (Mustang).
>

Darryl played a 56 Fender Jazz (the white one), Lakland and A-Basses.
But I can ashure you it's not a Fender problem. I play a 78 Fender Jazz Bass and it has bottom! I think the problem with Darryl is more the amp and cab. At least at Drury Lane he played an ampeg cab but his sound still doesn't work with the Stones and also his playing doesn't groove nor does it swing. I guess he's better off playing jazz.

Bass and dancing - Bill Wyman !!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2061
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home