Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

A special "review" from someone who saw the Stones for the first time
Date: July 8, 2014 21:32

We all know some younger fans. But this woman at approx 22 imho made a goosebump-text about her experience at the Roskilde Festival. I personally met - and spoke with a lot like her before the show. I was standing up front with lots of them watching how they enjoyed the concert. If this happens to be my last Stones-concert eever I will have just sweet memories of the musical torch carried by the band since my early childhood to the very day at Roskilde.

The original text in Danish can be found here: [www.denfri.dk] - I hope I did a proper translation. Hope you enjoy these words as much as I do:

TITLE: I’ve lost my ironic distance in front of the Orange Stage (Roskilde Festival main stage)

Dear Mother. Yesterday I attended a concert with a band named The Rolling Stones. Perhaps you know them.

They’re about 300 years old and have performed for such a long time that they don’t know how to stop. Now they were about to perform at the Orange Stage. There’s been a lot of talk about this. The tickets for this Thursday were the first to sell out.

We – the young ones – laughed and said that now the old folks would head for Roskilde. And so they should. Already early Thursday morning an older rather drunk gentleman in his fleece jacket put his hand on my arm and confessed he had got his ticket on his 58th birthday as a present.

Me, well I just thought I would stroll by. Just take a look at them for myself ( : literally, take a look at the giraffe – Danish expression). We were many who thought so.

I believe the whole of Jutland was at that concert. Everybody at the Festival was for sure. The one-day ticket holders were wearing cowboy-hats and were drinking their 16th pint. The young ones stood with their smartphones and convulsive ironic smiles on their lips.

“It’s gonna be shit”, one of them said. “It’s gonna be fantastic, but it’s gonna be shit”.

I was also armed with my smartphone and ready to tweet my whole experience ( it’s got to do with the internet, Mum ). I should meet up with some friends, who just wanted to stroll along – just to claim they have been there, ya know. Already before the concert I imagined how I would tell about it.

But I got away from my friends. And I lost the signal on my phone. And when The Rolling Stones finally took the stage I was all alone and defenseless – without any other screens to watch than the Big Screen.

The one-day ticket people were standing with tears in their eyes and memories of their youth. The young ones were about to fall over astonished at the fact that people so old managed to stay at their feet (well, I’m just quoting, Mum). A lightshow of smartphone screens played around me: Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, video, video, video. Look at us. We were here.

I couldn’t even make a poor selfie, Mum. But while people were busy documenting the concert, the band started to play.

The Rolling Stones entered their old canopy-stage with an arsenal of classics, performed with virile energy, which even the most playful/frisky festival guest couldn’t match.

“Holy shit”, the guy next to me shouted. “They sure can @#$%& play”.

No, nobody saw this coming. And while the Stones played and played and played and the large crowd close to me danced, sang, kissed, and a man with his cowboy hat poured beer down my thighs, and a teenage boy said: “I wish my father would have been here” – while all this happened I stopped thinking about how I would tell about this concert when it was over. I just enjoyed it.

“Now he must be getting tired”, the guy next to me said pointing at Mick Jagger. But Mick wasn’t tired.

They played for two and a half hours, Mum. Are you aware of the fact how hard it is to get my attention for that long? ( Yeah, I bet you are).
I’ve lost my ironic distance somewhere in front of the Orange Stage, Mum. Thank god nobody took any notice.

I went to watch The Rolling Stones just to say I’ve been there. To giggle with my friends while we were wathing our parents ( and Grandparents ) music from the outside. A look at another age in time.

You can’t always get what you want, ya know. Perhaps I got something else instead.

Re: A special "review" from someone who saw the Stones for the first time
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 8, 2014 21:37

nonervousbreakdown
And while the Stones played and played and played and the large crowd close to me danced, sang, kissed, and a man with his cowboy hat poured beer down my thighs, and a teenage boy said: “I wish my father would have been here” – while all this happened I stopped thinking about how I would tell about this concert when it was over. I just enjoyed it.

Best sentence in a review ever. smoking smiley

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 8, 2014 22:01

yep,

the Stones can still do that to people.

...and some of the miserable old cynics who regularly post around here would do well to remember it winking smiley

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: July 8, 2014 22:08

Yeah; beautiful.
Hope she joins IORR... smoking smiley

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: July 9, 2014 01:05

Same for me in 1978.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: July 9, 2014 01:19

Spud
yep,

the Stones can still do that to people.

...and some of the miserable old cynics who regularly post around here would do well to remember it winking smiley

thumbs up

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: July 9, 2014 01:22

Brilliant...Wonderful!

Thanks for posting.

Date: July 9, 2014 01:24

She was one of the MANY 20 somethings FOS. They really dug the Stones at Roskilde.

Posted by: zgubi ()
Date: July 9, 2014 01:32

to me it looks like it's not written by a 22 year old, it's a nice story but it sounds written by someone older acting as a 22 year old.

still...

I make daily videos on the tour at [youtube.com]
Going to: London - Manchester - Twickenham - Berlin - Marseille - Prague - Warsaw

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: July 9, 2014 05:05

NOW, you disillusion me!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-09 06:17 by stonesrule.

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: July 9, 2014 06:33

zgubi
to me it looks like it's not written by a 22 year old, it's a nice story but it sounds written by someone older acting as a 22 year old.

still...

The person who posted it says that it is a translation from Danish to English, so how it comes off depends on the translator.

Date: July 9, 2014 11:54

(I'm quite sure I've found enough evidence that the writer - Mikka Tecza - is a real person and that she's young - holds a bachelor degree in communication studies from Roskilde University. Mikka Tecza is not a typical Danish name of course, but she's actually a member of a Tecza-family group on facebook...and they do indeed seem very Danish and real. I've shown her text to friends and nobody has questioned her age or authenticity. I do however understand the doubt...there're many fakes out there).

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: July 9, 2014 14:01

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-06 12:29 by colonial.

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: July 9, 2014 14:31

carlorossi
zgubi

still...

The person who posted it says that it is a translation from Danish to English, so how it comes off depends on the translator.
This sounds exactly how my daughter age 21 could write to me - particularly the title.
Incidentally very similar sentiments to her 21 year old friend who had tickets to HP2 " just to be there" as we all though it was probably the last RS concert ever He also sold me a ticket for my first live concert (age 60) my having had no interest in the stones at all. I went with extremely low expectations and like all first timers, was blown away - scarf me up and all - and so an unexpected IORR addiction started.....

Posted by: MarthaTuesday ()
Date: July 9, 2014 14:36

EJM
carlorossi
zgubi

still...

This sounds exactly how my daughter age 21 could write to me - particularly the title.
Incidentally very similar sentiments to her 21 year old friend who had tickets to HP2 " just to be there" as we all though it was probably the last RS concert ever He also sold me a ticket for my first live concert (age 60) my having had no interest in the stones at all. I went with extremely low expectations and like all first timers, was blown away - scarf me up and all - and so an unexpected IORR addiction started.....

It's great reading things like this. smileys with beer It reminds me of trying to persuade friends to come along to a show - I'm so sure they would be blown away and finally understand my stones passion!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1988
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home