Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

45 years for Brian being gone
Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: July 3, 2014 15:34

Hard to believe. He's talked about often about these parts but would be weird that his anniversary go unnoticed here anyways.

Visited his grave nine years ago. Had mixed feelings but mainly sadness prevailed over what might have been had he not been his own worst enemy.

Re: 45 years for Brian being gone
Posted by: MarthaTuesday ()
Date: July 3, 2014 15:42

Ronnie's been in the band longer than I've been alive - but when I first got into the Stones, it was the Brian Jones years that hooked me. It is so sad, and it's good to remember him here.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: July 3, 2014 15:53

RIP---Sad Brian has been gone longer then he was alive.

Posted by: petewasbristol ()
Date: July 3, 2014 15:57

Brian is buried in the same plot as my grandparents and uncle in Cheltenham. I don't get to visit very often as it's a bit out of the way, but it's hard not to feel sad about how his life ended whenever you are there. He left behind some wonderful music, so that's how we the fans should remember him.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: July 3, 2014 16:02

I love so much the pre-1968 Stones!

Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: July 3, 2014 16:25

Interesting to hear Mick's little comment in the Python video -- what was the exact quote he said, "the best one's been dead for years"?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 3, 2014 19:14

RIP Brian

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 3, 2014 19:29

Turning To Gold
Interesting to hear Mick's little comment in the Python video -- what was the exact quote he said, "the best one's been dead for years"?

Was he referring to Graham Chapman? Or a maybe a parrot?

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 3, 2014 19:39

Koen
Turning To Gold

Since the comic point of the video was that everything he said about the Pythons could also apply to the Rolling Stones - well, you guess what he meant...

I hope they play one or two 60s numbers tonight, whether they say it's a Brian tribute (they won't) or not.

Posted by: SilverBlanket ()
Date: July 3, 2014 20:16

The reason I fell in love with the stones and remain inspired by them to this day.Too often maligned or not given enough credit for his contributions to the band he co-founded and named.The best stone of them all.RIP Brian x

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 3, 2014 20:31

"Lose your dreams and youth....may lose your mind.......Ain't life unkind?...."

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: July 3, 2014 20:31

Thank you Brian.

Love all the eras and I don't have a favorite, but the Jones-era is so @#$%&' special.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: July 3, 2014 22:14

I've been twice in Cheltenham, in 1999 I exhibited my Artworks during the BJ Memorial and second time around the unveiling of the BJ Bust in 2005. Unfortunately for the BJ Statue for which I created several sketches.
A Brian Jones Statue in the centre of Cheltenham would have been great!grinning smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 3, 2014 22:25

runaway
I've been twice in Cheltenham, in 1999 I exhibited my Artworks during the BJ Memorial and second time around the unveiling of the BJ Bust in 2005. Unfortunately for the BJ Statue for which I created several sketches.
A Brian Jones Statue in the centre of Cheltenham would have been great!grinning smiley

Maybe someday when he gets recognized for his musical contribution over his lifestyle issues.

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: July 3, 2014 22:31

RIP Brian Jones

and thanx so much for what you've done with The Rolling Stones

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: July 3, 2014 22:56

24FPS
runaway

Maybe someday when he gets recognized for his musical contribution over his lifestyle issues.

We know his musical contributions but I think that not all do understand the essence of being an artist in Cheltenham.

Posted by: Jayce ()
Date: July 4, 2014 01:37

My favorite Stone, who made my favorite contributions to their music. One of the saddest cases of "what might have been," but I am grateful for his art.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: July 4, 2014 03:45

L

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-17 03:06 by MILKYWAY.

RIP Brian Not Fade Away.
Posted by: ukheart ()
Date: July 4, 2014 02:22

Time has gone so fast
Thank you to those that bought my book
'Not Fade Away' WWW.notfadeawaymemoir.com

Re: RIP Brian Not Fade Away.
Posted by: Bassid6 ()
Date: July 5, 2014 23:19

Thank you, Mr. Jones. Thank you for my entire family.

Date: July 5, 2014 23:29

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: July 6, 2014 01:07

brian lives in our hearts with all the good music he made and stones have kept his band going,R.I.P BRIAN YOU ARE MISSED.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 6, 2014 02:23

45 years ago today the Stones were playing at the Hyde Park on his memory. He's long gone, but will never be forgotten.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: July 6, 2014 12:35

Koen
Turning To Gold

Referrence to Taylor, maybe. smoking smiley

Posted by: Jon Lasaa ()
Date: July 6, 2014 20:04

Hi all.

Cristiano Radtke said: "He's long gone, but will never be forgotten."

Completely right.

Re: RIP Brian Not Fade Away.
Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 10, 2014 23:31

45 Years Ago: Brian Jones Laid to Rest

It was the last act of one of the saddest chapters in rock history. On July 10, 1969, former Rolling Stones guitarist Brian Jones was laid to rest in a well-attended ceremony at Cheltenham Cemetery. He was only 27 years old.

When the news broke eight days earlier that Jones had drowned in his pool, it sent shock waves through the London cultural scene. Even though he’d exhibited somewhat erratic behavior in the months before his death, no one had expected that he’d leave so soon.

Many wondered aloud if foul play may have been responsible, and much speculation descended upon a handy man hired by Jones named Frank Thorogood as the man responsible, but after a thorough investigation, the police declared the musician’s demise as a “death by misadventure.”

Two days after his passing, his former band the Rolling Stones played a massive free concert in London’s Hyde Park that was reformatted as a tribute show to their fallen comrade. Just before the band hit the stage, lead singer Mick Jagger came out and read from the Percy Shelley poem ‘Adonais,’ in tribute to Jones after which hundreds of white butterflies were released into the summer air. “We wanted to see him off in grand style,” Keith Richards wrote in his autobiography ‘Life.’ “The ups and downs with the guy are one thing, but when his time’s over, release the doves, or in this case the sackfuls of white butterflys.”

July 10, 1969 was a hot and sunny day in Jones’ hometown of Cheltenham. Thousands had descended upon the small town to bid farewell to the guitar player and lined the streets to watch as the 14-car funeral procession made its way to his final resting place. Former band mates Charlie Watts and Bill Wyman were there, but Mick and Keith were unable to make it. The whole band chipped in for an enormous eight-foot flower arrangement of yellow and red roses with the phrase “Gates of Heaven” written in flowers.

In spite of the tragic occasion, the preacher delivered a somewhat caustic eulogy, using it as a platform to decry Jones’ seemingly destructive lifestyle. “He had little patience with authority, convention and tradition,” Canon Hugh Evan Hopkins said. “In this he was typical of many of his generation who have come to see in the Stones an expression of their whole attitude to life. Much that this ancient church has stood for in 900 years seems totally irrelevant to them.”

The press was out in droves and snapped photo after photo of friends, family, the procession, even the empty hole that had been dug for Jones’ shining bronze casket. As he was lowered into the ground, people crowded to the front in an attempt to cast a flower down with him. It was a sad final act for a star who’s light burned out far too quickly.

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Posted by: Athena ()
Date: July 12, 2014 07:48

My favorite Stone. Luv ya Brian! Gone too soon. sad smiley

Greek Goddess of Wisdom, Skill...& War

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2216
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home