Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Stones museum in the works?
Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: July 2, 2014 16:56

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 2, 2014 19:55

The Rock and Roll hall of fame and museum did a great job for the Stones 50th. 3 floors full of stuff you can only dream of seeing.

Date: July 2, 2014 20:37

More Hot Rocks
The Rock and Roll hall of fame and museum did a great job for the Stones 50th. 3 floors full of stuff you can only dream of seeing.
thumbs up It was amazing! And the book available at the store there wasn't too bad, either!

Posted by: Stonesfan2146 ()
Date: July 2, 2014 20:48

stonehearted
<<The tour will launch next year in London and is essentially a mobile museum of personal items connected to the Rolling Stones.>>

So, does this mean that next year, in lieu of a concert tour, they'll instead be sending around a collection of their stuff, the way Elvis once sent his car on tour, just as a means of keeping the brand up front in the public eye while they take a year or two off with solo projects?

According to rumors going around it could be that they do South America in Feb/mar then move to North America for another run and after closing the tour in London officially it's a good time to start this museum tour until they'll be on the road again. smiling smiley

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 2, 2014 21:10

Stonesfan2146

According to rumors going around it could be that they do South America in Feb/mar then move to North America for another run and after closing the tour in London officially it's a good time to start this museum tour until they'll be on the road again. smiling smiley

After this Tour better a new album, then a new Tour (55th anniversary) and later on the museum. smiling smiley

Rolling Stones museum
Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: July 6, 2014 01:30

Not sure if this has been discussed here or not but I heard on the local radio here in Colorado that Mick Jagger recently visited a museum in Sweden, it was a band's museum didn't catch the artist, maybe ABBA. And that Mick has been in touch with people in London about making one for the Stones. Mick said he would provide access to person things of his and the Stones and that he said they have warehouses full of stuff.

Never heard of this before.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 8, 2014 10:20

Sorry if this was already posted.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 8, 2014 10:29

Irix
rollingon
I wonder as which Abba member he performed, was it Benny?
More likely Agnetha - showing a nice Butt...
that would have also been my bet. with his two blonde swedish girls and all...
bye bye johnny

Mick Jagger visits the ABBA museum, June 30.
does anybody know the name of the Stones Management Woman walking behind Mick?
I met her at Stockholm Grand Hotel and for some reason quite liked her.
very strict (has to be) but also very cheerfully talking to fans,
sounding like she's riding on a wave as well!

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 8, 2014 10:34

oh, and while planning is all right,
in my opinion an official Stones Museum
should only ever be opened posthumously.

Posted by: Athena ()
Date: July 12, 2014 08:34

swiss
Cristiano Radtke
Now this makes some sense:

“The interesting thing to come out of it is that we are now exclusive representatives for the Rolling Stones Memorabilia Tour which is a very exciting project.” The tour will launch next year in London and is essentially a mobile museum of personal items connected to the Rolling Stones. The tour is run by iEC and Rush has been appointed to secure a suite of sponsors including the presenting partner and other brands which get category exclusivity. It doesn’t stop there.

[www.forbes.com]

Thanks so much for sharing, Cristiano! Completely fascinating.

They got the idea from the Hard Rock Memorabilia Bus that toured America in 2011.
I checked out the bus when it was in San Francisco -- tons of fun! As well as a party
afterward where I tuned and held Jimi's guitar and my friend played Brian's Jones' Vox
Phantom teardrop guitar. Not sure my photos here on Facebook will show up or not,
but some are pretty cool.

- swiss

Saw some great memorabilia @ the Hard Rock. Stones & many others! Plenty of 'wows!' cool smiley

Greek Goddess of Wisdom, Skill...& War

a museum for the Stones one day?
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: January 5, 2015 23:58

After 50 years, countless concerts, 29 studio albums, and millions of records sold, the Rolling Stones have acquired several warehouses’ worth of memorabilia. Shouldn’t there be a place where the public can line up to buy tickets and look at it?

That’s reportedly the line of thinking currently being pursued by Stones frontman Mick Jagger, who’s rumored to be mulling plans for a museum dedicated to the band after being inspired by a visit to the interactive ABBA tribute hosted in Stockholm, Sweden. The U.K.’s Daily Star tabloid has the scoop, which includes quotes from ex-ABBA member Bjorn Ulvaeus.

“I had heard he wanted to build a similar thing in London. That is why he wanted to come here and look,” Ulvaeus said of Jagger’s recent trip to the site, which found him driving up in “a blacked-out Mercedes” and being “whisked inside through a hidden entrance.” Continued Ulvaeus, “It was an inspirational visit. Mick has saved lots of clothes which they can display [Editor's note: he didn't save all his clothes]. He is planning a Rolling Stones museum.”

Although Jagger’s reps haven’t responded to requests for comments, ABBA museum visitors shouldn’t be surprised if the eventual Stones exhibit borrows from its layout. “He had thousands of questions,” added Ulvaeus. “Mick took loads of photos.”

Read More: Mick Jagger Rumored to Want Rolling Stones Museum | [ultimateclassicrock.com]

just imagining, after visiting Nashville TN, and the Country Music Hall Of Fame museum..

suit after suit worn by this or that country star, dress after dress worn by the great ladies of country, guitars, mandolins, even a few basses...the piano played in Studio B which is itself (the studio) part of the museum..

cars, hats, handwritten lyrics...

will there one day be a Stones Museum?

with Blue Lena..

Micawber and Malcolm...

Jagger's stage costumes..

Keith's scarves..

one of Charlie's kits?

Bill's amps he lent, which got him in the band?

nah probably not..

Re: a museum for the Stones one day?
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 6, 2015 00:06

Love the idea, but like anything it would have to make money to be viable.

Would it make money?

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: January 6, 2015 00:15

If I could humbly suggest a location... grinning smiley

Date: January 6, 2015 00:25

OH! I KNOW! Original vinyls of Some Girls, TSMR, & Sticky Fingers! winking smiley

Date: January 6, 2015 00:30

treaclefingers

Would it make money?

you know it would..

there'll be bus tours and everything..

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 6, 2015 00:33

YEAH...go in Little Boy Blue and come out thee other end with a Bigger Bang!!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 6, 2015 00:41

The rock and roll Hall of fame and Museum did just that last year. 3 floors of the coolest Stones stuff you wanted to see. A lot of stuff from their personal collection. It was well worth it.

Date: January 6, 2015 00:45

duke richardson
treaclefingers

Would it make money?

you know it would..

there'll be bus tours and everything..

I know it would be initially popular, but would it say in 1 year? Five years? Enough attendance to keep the exhibits fresh, pay the staff, keep the lights on?

Stones 'fans' don't even buy the new album when it comes out every decade or so...just pointing out that this might be a problem.

I'd go, but I'd doubt I'd fly to say London, just to go to the museum.

I know, I'm an unworthy fan.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: January 6, 2015 00:47

I thought Bill had it all.

Date: January 6, 2015 00:51

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
OH! I KNOW! Original vinyls of Some Girls, TSMR, & Sticky Fingers! winking smiley

I could conduct tours of my home.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 6, 2015 01:11

I think it would be to expensive for me to visit it confused smiley if run by the Stones

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 6, 2015 01:17

NICOS
I think it would be to expensive for me to visit it confused smiley if run by the Stones

thumbs up

If it were modeled somewhat like The Experience museum in Seattle I think it would be great. Some interactive stuff, some historical stuff, some theaters to watch Stones concert footage and a good bar and restaurant (serving Shepard's pie of course). Some changing exhibits to honor other bands or historical events. Basically a place to get lost in for a day for $6 or so.

peace

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 6, 2015 01:37

Naturalust
NICOS

thumbs up

If it were modeled somewhat like The Experience museum in Seattle I think it would be great. Some interactive stuff, some historical stuff, some theaters to watch Stones concert footage and a good bar and restaurant (serving Shepard's pie of course). Some changing exhibits to honor other bands or historical events. Basically a place to get lost in for a day for $6 or so.

peace

Man that was a shock the thread was gone.........but I see that it's added to an older thread grinning smiley

And don't forget the original guitars an the wall...and maybe a copy of the studio from the On Plus One movie...........

Date: January 6, 2015 03:26

yeah, merged with a previous thread.. whoops! Didnt see the earlier one..

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 6, 2015 20:10

In the UK, a National Museum devoted to the history of popular music opened in Sheffield.
About 15 years ago, not certain.Lasted a few years before it closed.
Conversley, the UK National Museum of Film, Photography and Television opened up earlier, also in the county of Yorkshire, my home town of Bradford actually.
A big success, some of the Stones attended the premiere of "At the Max" of course.
The Stones Advisers could do well to look at how its managed and maintaned its momentum.
I would be cautious, once the Stones are no more I cant see much interest. Were not talking about Graceland and the Elvis phenonemen or the Beatles (Liverpool Museum bus tours etc) after all.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: January 6, 2015 21:09

MJ has been collecting stuff for decades...

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: January 7, 2015 00:00

treaclefingers
duke richardson
treaclefingers

Would it make money?

you know it would.

I know it would be initially popular, but would it say in 1 year? Five years? Enough attendance to keep the exhibits fresh, pay the staff, keep the lights on?

Stones 'fans' don't even buy the new album when it comes out every decade or so...just pointing out that this might be a problem.

I'd go, but I'd doubt I'd fly to say London, just to go to the museum.

I know, I'm an unworthy fan.

I'm sure this is exactly what's being figured out now. Obviously the Stones would never do something as a pure labor of love, for legacy, for history, or "for the fans." It has to be insanely monetizable, in perpetuity, or with an end-date in sight, or they would not "go there."

There have been mixed results with museums of popular culture. Part of the reason the Seattle EMP Museum is "viable" is it's underwritten by its quirky b'zillionare founder. And $6? Naturalust!! The Stones would charge at least $30-40.

Museums that standalone without some kind of research-oriented institution associated with it can become very shallow. The Rock n Roll Hall of Fame Museum has a [fairly] serious library and archives. Take The Liberace Museum, which is one of many pop culture Museums that got off to a booming start, and fizzled out--which is an unfortunate thing to happen to a Collection like that. The Spy Museum and the Newseum in Washington DC are the best examples I can think of. The Newseum has a public-interest mission, but is funded by corporate news concerns and private foundations---their board is strong and ensures that the content/exhibitions adhere to their mission---they too have an impressive library and archive, which support scholarship in journalism. The Spy Museum I don't know much about, but is a little different. What I do know is they charge $20+ a head, which does not go over well with many in the Washington DC/Smithsonian cognoscenti (95% of museums in Washington DC are free). However, The Spy Museum just made a shrewd decision to move to the grand, former Carnegie Library space in DC, which it will share with the DC Historical Society.

Anyway, a Stones Museum could be run as a for-profit, but would run the risk of being like the crass "Ripley's Believe It Or Not Museum." If it were run as a nonprofit, that means a HUGE amount of dedication and work for members of the Stones and/or their chosen "people" to run and govern it.

If I were they, for now, I wouldn't do it. Huge hassle, uncertain ROI.

Stones Museum
Posted by: herecomesrichard ()
Date: April 3, 2015 15:53

Has anyone heard any more about the plans for a Stones museum? There was press coverage of Mick's visit to the ABBA museum in Stockholm last year and a suggestion that he took photos with a view to developing a Stones version. I visited the ABBA museum the day after Mick and have to say the museum makes a lot out of very little. There's got to be enough Stones ephemera - and certainly there's enough of a history - to fill a building ten times the size of the ABBA one.

Re: Stones Museum
Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: April 3, 2015 20:18

Soon the Stones Museum will be touring 15 North American cities. For the price of admission, one will get to see and hear a musical history of the group.

As for an actual museum: maybe after the group has played it's last gig, recorded it's last song.

Re: Stones Museum
Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 3, 2015 22:52

DaveG
Soon the Stones Museum will be touring 15 North American cities. For the price of admission, one will get to see and hear a musical history of the group.

As for an actual museum: maybe after the group has played it's last gig, recorded it's last song.

My opinion only, but I dont see much enduring interest in the Stones to commercially suport a museum after they have done their last gasp.
A few items from the vaults, audio and video. Some documentarires and an endless stream of books from anyone whk has had the remotest contact with the group and individuals.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1843
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home