Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT: Recommended Aerosmith?
Posted by: Fillmore ()
Date: July 1, 2014 09:01

Athena
Love their single Jamie Got A Gun, don't know what album it's on or the year. smileys with beer

It´s from PUMP (around 1989), which I also like, esp. for The Other Side and What It Takes. Among hardliners probably branded as "MTV-stuff". But MTV aired the videos for Let The Music Do The Talking and Chip Away At The Stone as well, so who cares...

Cheers, Fillmore

Posted by: Adams ()
Date: July 1, 2014 11:23

shattered
Did they play Adams Apple in Berlin? Anyone know?

No, they didn't.
You can check out setlists on setlist.fm site

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: July 1, 2014 12:05

Thank you.

Posted by: Crazyhorse ()
Date: July 1, 2014 12:31

Berlin was a great show. They threw in a few extras than usual. No More No More was great along with Last Child, Big Ten Inch Record & Toys. First time I've seen them open with Train Kept A Rollin' usually played as an encore.

Essential albums
Rocks
Get Your Wings
Draw The Line
Aerosmith
Toys In The Attic
Night In The Ruts
Live Bootleg

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: July 1, 2014 14:03

I saw them in Stockholm and it was a good show as usual, but I was a little disappointed with the setlist. Too few 70s songs and too many warhorses. And the Tele2 Arena sucks sound-wise. The Stones will be playing there tonight. Wish I could be there.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: July 1, 2014 14:06

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: July 1, 2014 15:13

Mathijs
Sure the classic 70's albums are great, but they are very classic American 1970's rock, and quite outdated in my opinion. Mathijs

Nah, Rocks is one of those timeless records!

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: July 1, 2014 15:46

@ pepganzo: No doubt you gave it a chance. I was just curious more than anything as, like I said, it was headed to my personal “cut out bin” until I gave it repeated listening. Also, like I said, even though I can now enjoy the album on its own merits, it’s still ranked somewhere in the 13-15 range of their albums.

@ DeanGoodman: “The real tragedy with this album, after the years spent working on it and the huge drama, is that it will probably be their last.” - Well said.

@ DandelionPowderman : “It's pretty good hard rock, though.” - Again, Well said. I wish I hadn’t had such high hopes for that album. I do like it for what it is. I just can’t seem to get past the thoughts of what it isn’t and what it could have been. My loss for sure.

Personal Realization: When I saw “Fillmore” mention “hardliners probably branded as "MTV-stuff"” I realized that was kind of me. Although I do lump Pump, Get A Grip & Nine Lives together under that heading, to me, it’s more of an era that I’m referencing than a derogatory statement on the albums. I loved those albums when they came out and still enjoy them when they hit my playlist now. I think the biggest drawback on those albums is the fact that the ballads were so huge in America that I got burned out on them.

I like my Aerosmith to be “Raunch & Roll”. They have had a swagger & sway in their music since I can remember. Sometimes on the newer albums that “Aerosmithness” seems to get lost in the efforts to produce tracks for airplay.

Side note: Playing Joe Perry Project’s “Once A Rocker, Always A Rocker” at my desk right now. While that’s my favorite of the early Project albums, all three are worth a listen if you like Aerosmith. While it’s not Aerosmith, it is Joe. Some enjoyable stuff to be found.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: July 1, 2014 15:49

Adams
shattered
Did they play Adams Apple in Berlin? Anyone know?

No, they didn't.
You can check out setlists on setlist.fm site

this website is better for aerosmith setlists

[aerosmithsetlists.com]

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: July 1, 2014 21:27

dcba
Blueranger

What are the recommended albums?

I wouldn't recommend albums but I'd suggest you get the bunch of radio shows from the 1978 US tour. They're amazing!

This one for example :

Title: King's Chronicle
Date: March 23, 1978
Venue: The Aragon Ballroom, Chicago, IL, USA
Label: Bondage Music

Disc 1
01.Rats In The Cellar
02.I Wanna Know Why
03.Big Ten Inch Record
04.Walk This Way
05.Sight For Sore Eyes
06.Seasons Of Wither
07.Sweet Emotion
08.Dream On
09.Chip Away The Stone
10.Get The Lead Out
11.Get It Up
12.Draw The Line
13.No More No More
14.Same Old Song And Dance
15.Toys In The Attic
16.Milk Cow Blues
17.Train Kept A Rollin'

Is this setlist really from one show? It's like my wish list. To hear these in one concert particularly would be beyond the Rubicon:

02. I Wanna Know Why
03. Big Ten Inch Record
06. Seasons Of Wither
09. Chip Away The Stone
10. Get The Lead Out
12. Draw The Line
13. No More No More
16. Milk Cow Blues
17. Train Kept A Rollin

I just saw them at Clapham Common in London. The whole band were on fire; best show I've seen them do since Livingston Forum, Scotland in 1989.

Cheers,
SonicD

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: July 1, 2014 22:37

Interesting comments SonicD. I was disappointed with the Livingston show in 89. thought they were way better in Birmingham a few nights earlier. I have seen them a few times in the years since, including Donington and a festival in Germany 7 years ago. But nothing touched London Calling a few nights ago. They were simply astounding. I had got separated from my mates in the crowd but it didn't matter. NOTHING mattered. I was rooted to the spot in awe for two hours. It was pure and total magic, with a setlist to keep everyone happy. Wonderful.

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: July 1, 2014 22:52

VoodooLounge13
I'm shocked at how much love Honkin On Bobo is getting here. Wish I had it to give it another listen, but alas my ex-wife won't give me any of my stuff and it's still at my old house. Anyway, I stopped buying their albums when this one came out. Absolutely horrible IMO. But then, I absolutely love Nine Lives and don't see that mentioned once.
Yep Nine Lives imo is their best of the reincarnation albums and the tour of the same name was fantastic!

Posted by: Crazyhorse ()
Date: July 1, 2014 23:25

I saw them at the MGM in Las Vegas in 2006 a great show (anyone got a recording?) before the Berlin show and many times in the UK. And from an earlier post (Once A Rocker...) always liked Joe Perry's Let The Music Do The Talking album

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 2, 2014 03:53

I really liked I've Got the Rock and Rolls Again. A great hard rock/blues album. I saw him live for this album in a small club in Ann Arbor way back in the day. Joe was wasted! You could see him doing lines of coke off his amp. But man did they rock! Great show and blood curdling loud.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 2, 2014 04:00

I saw Aerosmith several times. The first time was for the Night in the Ruts tour, Joe had left and Jimmie Crespo was playing lead. I very loud, but good show. We were sitting front row on the left side of the stage at Pine Knob, and when the curtain came down we could see Steven Tyler pass out. Several road crew came and carried him back. Yet low and behold they came back for an encore!

I saw them years later after Joe was back in the fold and it was a great show as well. It was for the Permanent Vacation Tour, one of their best later day albums and again it was a fantastic show! They did several gems which really livened up the show.

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: July 2, 2014 04:09

NONE!

There is nothing to recommend in my opinion! This is one of the worst bands I've ever heard in my opinion. I could never listen to them

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Date: July 2, 2014 05:42

Marhsall
NONE!

And now you know the rest of the story.

Seriously though, nice to see a couple of other's enjoying JPP. They were actually my first rock concert. 14 years old in the gymnasium of my school. Saw Aerosmith for the first time at the video shoot for "Let the Music Do The Talking" at (I think) the Orpheum theater in Boston. Bunch of other times since.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 2, 2014 06:10

Date: July 2, 2014 17:59

Thanks Tatters. That was fun. I don't know why I haven't thought to look for JPP stuff on youtube... I'll be doing some searching over the weekend for sure.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: ifyacantrockme ()
Date: July 3, 2014 04:42

Love the Joe Perry Project, especially the first 2 records, the guitar is loud and dangerous on both of those albums. A lot more than the Tyler schmaltz fest the past 15 yrs.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1541
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home