Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mick Taylor plays dem blues
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: June 24, 2014 20:07

Stumbled across this. Would love to hear the Stones get into some heavy duty blues with him on this tour. But, you can't always get whatcha want.... Enjoy.

Re: Mick Taylor plays dem blues
Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: June 24, 2014 20:14

dmay
Stumbled across this. Would love to hear the Stones get into some heavy duty blues with him on this tour. But, you can't always get whatcha want.... Enjoy.

Love it! thumbs up

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: June 24, 2014 22:24

Awesome! Great spank in that Strat!

Posted by: achilles77 ()
Date: June 25, 2014 01:14

Yeah, some killer playing.

Check out after/around 4:00 and 10:50....

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: June 25, 2014 01:17

Excellent work from MT

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: June 25, 2014 03:49

That was great. I've always liked Albert King.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: June 25, 2014 05:39

This show was during the Bluesbreakers' Reunion Tour of 1982. Joining Mayall and Taylor in the band are John McVie on bass & Colin Allen on drums. This show was on June 18 at the Capitol Theater in Passaic, New Jersey. The show also included Etta James; Buddy Guy and Junior Wells; and an ancient and adorable blueswoman Sippie Wallace. The DVD is called Jammin' With The Blues Greats.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: June 25, 2014 06:00

I was there... The DVD does not tell the entire story as the British musicians were more stoned than at any other concert I've ever witnessed including The New Barbarians at MSG . At one point John McVie threw his bass to the ground for some crazy reason, you can see in the video there's another bassist with Mayall for some songs. Taylor stared at his guitar rack between songs and acted very strange all evening. Still this DVD is excellent but seeing it live was very unsettling.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-25 06:05 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: June 25, 2014 10:51

DoomandGloom
I was there... The DVD does not tell the entire story as the British musicians were more stoned than at any other concert I've ever witnessed including The New Barbarians at MSG . At one point John McVie threw his bass to the ground for some crazy reason, you can see in the video there's another bassist with Mayall for some songs. Taylor stared at his guitar rack between songs and acted very strange all evening. Still this DVD is excellent but seeing it live was very unsettling.

Haha, dang! Thanks for sharing! The early 80s seems like a pretty rough period for many of the 60s artists ... coming down with some bad habits.

Posted by: Spodlumt ()
Date: June 25, 2014 14:22

I was there too. John McVie was whacked out of his mind. I remember him throwing down his bass and stumbling off stage. Mick Taylor just shook his head and kept on playing...weird night....

Posted by: smokeydusky ()
Date: June 25, 2014 16:34

The DVD is incomplete.
More of the show, perhaps the entire show, is on a video stream or audio download available on Wolfgang's Vault.
Wonderful to see and hear despite what some of the participants think.

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: June 25, 2014 16:59

LieB
DoomandGloom

Haha, dang! Thanks for sharing! The early 80s seems like a pretty rough period for many of the 60s artists ... coming down with some bad habits.

I know, it's really frustrating. Wish they never picked up those bad habits, but it was the 60's (and early 70's) afterall. Everyone was very naive and idealistic. Had fun for awhile I guess, but many paid a heavy price.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: June 25, 2014 17:31

pmk251
This show was during the Bluesbreakers' Reunion Tour of 1982. Joining Mayall and Taylor in the band are John McVie on bass & Colin Allen on drums. This show was on June 18 at the Capitol Theater in Passaic, New Jersey. The show also included Etta James; Buddy Guy and Junior Wells; and an ancient and adorable blueswoman Sippie Wallace. The DVD is called Jammin' With The Blues Greats.

I've got a couple shows from that tour at Toad's Place. MT and the whole band were on fire.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: June 25, 2014 23:20

StonesCat
pmk251

I've got a couple shows from that tour at Toad's Place. MT and the whole band were on fire.

Indeed! That tour is well documented with many fine recordings This is arguably some of Taylor's best and happiest playing. He fits nicely into the band. He is the star with out having to be the star, if you know what I mean.

To put this tour into a Taylor perspective...After leaving the Stones and then Bruce he did not do much until the release of his solo album in '79. Then he did not do much again. I am guessing that doing little is a sign he is not hurting for money. His coming out party was a short and odd tour with Alvin Lee in late '81. Then the BB Reunion Tour started in '82. That continued until Spring of '84 when Taylor left to join Bob. After that he eventually went out on his own. He did not start playing songs from his album until '86. Nice promotional planning, Mick. confused smiley

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 26, 2014 15:52

pmk251
StonesCat
pmk251

Indeed! That tour is well documented with many fine recordings This is arguably some of Taylor's best and happiest playing. He fits nicely into the band. He is the star with out having to be the star, if you know what I mean.

To put this tour into a Taylor perspective...After leaving the Stones and then Bruce he did not do much until the release of his solo album in '79. Then he did not do much again. I am guessing that doing little is a sign he is not hurting for money. His coming out party was a short and odd tour with Alvin Lee in late '81. Then the BB Reunion Tour started in '82. That continued until Spring of '84 when Taylor left to join Bob. After that he eventually went out on his own. He did not start playing songs from his album until '86. Nice promotional planning, Mick. confused smiley

Paul, I've always wondered why Taylor has played so few of his own songs, even since '86, while his first solo album has such great material to be performed on stage. As much as I do love much of his playing, he remains inscrutable to me until now, his curious, limited and capricious cooperation with the Rolling Stones on stage since the American tour 2013 included.

Btw I do miss his cooperation with Carla Olson in 1990 (live) and 2000 (studio) in your 'Taylor career list'. That cooperation has resulted in some of his greatest guitar playing imo: Sway live and Winter studio (2x) for instance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-26 17:05 by kleermaker.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: June 26, 2014 17:27

kleermaker
pmk251
StonesCat
pmk251

Paul, I've always wondered why Taylor has played so few of his own songs, even since '86, while his first solo album has such great material to be performed on stage. As much as I do love much of his playing, he remains inscrutable to me until now, his curious, limited and capricious cooperation with the Rolling Stones on stage since the American tour 2013 included.

Btw I do miss his cooperation with Carla Olson in 1990 (live) and 2000 (studio) in your 'Taylor career list'. That cooperation has resulted in some of his greatest guitar playing imo: Sway live and Winter studio (2x) for instance.

On a side note, enjoyed the Broken Hands live clip you've got.

Posted by: Mimi73 ()
Date: June 27, 2014 10:21

Really great stuff,
still love to hear
Mick Taylor...
smiling smiley

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: June 27, 2014 12:37

mick taylor's sound in this concert and tour looks like the lowell george one.
fantastic blues!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1458
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home