Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones Playing
Posted by: rvfowler ()
Date: June 23, 2014 17:47

This gets debated on here all the time but I wanted to make an observation. For whatever reason be it shaking off the rust, getting along better or what not the have really seem to be hiiting their stride during the European Tour. I make this observation from YouTube videos. I saw them at The Prudential Center last in Dec 2012 and while they were good as always I had some real concerns about their ability to do a full fledge tour as Keith did not look in good shape. He seems fine from what I've seen and really seems to be enjoying himself and in my opinion playing pretty well. Not perfect, but when were the Stones ever technically perfect live? This has renewed my hopes that they will come back to the US either in between Europe and the Aussie show or after the Aussie shows.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-23 17:48 by rvfowler.

Re: Stones Playing
Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: June 23, 2014 18:41

I understand your view but I would counter that it really depends on the gig. If you were to compare Zurich to Prudential, you'd argue that they've lost their edge. I think it comes in waves.

Admittedly our bias as YouTube attendees rather than being there in person is certainly coming through. Also, as hardcore fans it is easy to get burned out on these setlists. If they had a b-stage with a Little Queenie > Let It Bleed > Stray Cat Blues setlist, we might feel very different about the performances. Right now, the first half is the most exciting part of the show.

The adventure and edge is gone.

In other words, I personally could care less whether the version of Satisfaction in Europe is better than the version in the US. If they were celebrating by performing a wide range of songs to treat/reward fans across the globe, we would all be looking forward to every show! We would see a more spontaneous band having more fun on stage. Right now they are playing 'ok' and taking zero chances.

Maybe I need to become a casual fan who doesn't listen to them on the regular. That way hearing HTW/MY/YGMR/Dice/SMU/BS/JJF would actually be a novel experience.

In conclusion... it is hard for a fan like myself to view the performances objectively. The Stones are not playing for me. They are playing for casual fans who are pleased with the hits. Or hardcore fans who are just happy they are still alive and playing.

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: June 23, 2014 23:14

I went to Berlin and thought the shows I saw in 2013 were better. That being said, Berlin was still very good.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 24, 2014 00:02

fahthree
I went to Berlin and thought the shows I saw in 2013 were better. That being said, Berlin was still very good.
it also depends if you only consider the quality of playing or if you factor in the fun they have onstage too. i do. it's something that really only comes across at the gig itself, not on youtube, no matter what with HD and everything. putting things into perspective, i conclude we're experiencing a tour miles better than what went down in 2013. if you're US, i strongly suggest you hop on a plane this instant

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: June 24, 2014 00:21

I agree completely Drake!

Date: June 24, 2014 00:49

Nikkei
fahthree
it also depends if you only consider the quality of playing or if you factor in the fun they have onstage too. i do. it's something that really only comes across at the gig itself, not on youtube, no matter what with HD and everything. putting things into perspective, i conclude we're experiencing a tour miles better than what went down in 2013. if you're US, i strongly suggest you hop on a plane this instant

We all have our opinions. The Mick/Keith interaction in Berlin was great but the question was about playing. I think they played better in 2013. Keith didn't screw up, or should I say "rearrange", Start Me Up. I did see a brutal Gimmer Shelter in Toronto.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 24, 2014 01:12

fahthree
Nikkei
fahthree

We all have our opinions. The Mick/Keith interaction in Berlin was great but the question was about playing. I think they played better in 2013. Keith didn't screw up, or should I say "rearrange", Start Me Up. I did see a brutal Gimmer Shelter in Toronto.

Which Toronto show was that...I thought GS worked well.

Rocks Off on the other hand was completely shambolic.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 24, 2014 01:14

Honestly the only real difference I've seen between the 2012 (O2), 2013 (HP) and 2014 (Paris) shows is that Mick seems a lot more relaxed this time around. In fact he looks like the "Trabendo" Mick, smiling, joking, eyes rolling, etc...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: June 24, 2014 01:18

treaclefingers
fahthree
Nikkei
fahthree

Toronto 1 - the beginning was dreadful. He eventually found his way.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: June 24, 2014 01:28

They have been playing on the same level since 50+ began. Some of the O 2 was the best I've seen, Anaheim, Philly all great...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 24, 2014 01:48

fahthree
treaclefingers
fahthree
Nikkei
fahthree

Toronto 1 - the beginning was dreadful. He eventually found his way.

OK, I was at Toronto 2. Mick kind of lost it in Rocks Off in the same way. Utterly horrible take on one of my favourite songs.

Just doesn't seem to work well live.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1974
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home