Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Matt Clifford
Posted by: winos ()
Date: June 23, 2014 08:39

I noticed that Matt Clifford appeared on one of the earlier Euro gigs I can't remember which one maybe Oslo and also noticed that he had signed the tour poster.

What's his role this tour? Extra guitarist, keyboards or extra horns or just an extra extra??

pool's in but the patio ain't dry

Re: Matt Clifford
Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: June 23, 2014 08:45

He plays the horn intro on You Can't Always Get What You Want.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Date: June 23, 2014 08:49

Musical integrator...

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: June 23, 2014 08:58

Chuck-light.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: June 23, 2014 09:10

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: June 23, 2014 09:12

He announces the band.

He also plays electric piano on Worried about you (from the moment when Jagger gets up onwards) and on other songs (You Can't Always Get...e.g.).

And I think he also rehearses the choirs, travelling a few days ahead sometimes.

He's a skilled and talented musician and I always think "this seems to be a nice guy" when I see him on stage.

So, thank you Matt!

Posted by: winos ()
Date: June 23, 2014 09:24

Thanks Papo I'm sure he's a nice guy - he worked with mick on his solo tours and albums, I was just curious to find out what he's doing this tour.

Maybe he could talk to Mick about the set list.....mix it up by the time they get to Australia.

pool's in but the patio ain't dry

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: June 23, 2014 09:48

He also plays keyboards on Can't Be Seen.

Posted by: Shezeboss ()
Date: June 23, 2014 09:50

he plays some keyboard on out of control (Paris) I do like the Artist, his work on Goddess is just fantastic.

Date: June 23, 2014 09:51

he plays some keyboard on out of control (Paris) I do like the Artist, his work on Goddess is so good.

Date: June 23, 2014 09:53

Twice 'cause a bug on iorr

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 23, 2014 10:03

On "Worried About You" it's Tim Ries on Keyboards, not Matt. Didn't notice him playing on OOC in Paris but he was quite to the fore on CBS.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: thecitadel ()
Date: June 23, 2014 10:05

He plays keyboards on Can't be Seen - and seems to have a good relationship with Keith from the smiles going both directions.

Date: June 23, 2014 10:18

thecitadel
He plays keyboards on Can't be Seen - and seems to have a good relationship with Keith from the smiles going both directions.

That's because Keith needs him on that one smiling smiley

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 24, 2014 10:44

Matt and Chuck in Paris :

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: thecitadel ()
Date: June 24, 2014 11:58

gotdablouse

this is during CBS - both keyboard players watching to see where Keith heads next

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: June 24, 2014 12:15

I did not like those "Miss You" fake-harmonica parts either, but I'm sure you can't blame Matt for it alone, as their are many others on stage that could have opposed. Furthermore, maybe Mr Clifford dislikes some of the stuff he did back than today as well.
E.g., I don't like the clothes I wore back then and I HATE the yamaha electric guitar I bought in 1990, some ugly heavy metal signature model.

Posted by: TurkuStonesFan ()
Date: June 24, 2014 13:08

thecitadel
gotdablouse

this is during CBS - both keyboard players watching to see where Keith heads next

I kmow it's just one photo but I think it says so much.
Matt has a look of "ok, I'm with you where are we going here" while Chuck seems pissed that Matt is up there ans he's thinking "what is the Keith set about?".

I know Chuck has the chops but Matt is a better all around producer and arranger of music and I it shows in his multi-tasking on this tour. I agree with comments about his work on Godess. Plus, he gets Mick and is a pal in London and I think maybe he allows the band to play more without it being the Chuck Show.

Date: June 24, 2014 17:51

Does he audition the choirs or are they already arranged via demo tape and then he rehearses them?

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: June 24, 2014 18:05

my favorite Matt Clifford pic..

Date: June 24, 2014 18:35

duke richardson

Is this why Bill left the band?

Discuss

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: June 24, 2014 18:39

TurkuStonesFan
duke richardson

Is this why Bill left the band?

Discuss

He's afraid to fly. To high for him.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: June 24, 2014 18:41

Getting back to Matt. He's there to do all the things that were mentioned above. And probably another 50 thing that we don't know about.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: June 24, 2014 19:05

Matt Clifford also was involved in concerts behind the scenes with the soundboard and inserting electronic bits. IIRC from reading it at the time

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 24, 2014 23:36

ab
that awful section between 2000 Light Years and Sympathy.

That interlude was necessary to let Mick climb at the top of the stage before the start of SFTD.
Ab what did you want instead? A Bill Wyman bass solo? eye popping smiley

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: June 25, 2014 07:27

Yes, ab. It was an amazing moment because back then we didn't know every detail of what would happen like we do today -- especially as I saw them very early in the tour. The synths were playing, the lights on the AWESOME (and nothing like it before) Steel Wheels stage were going wild, and suddenly the Mickster is like 5 stories off the ground.

Totally worth it.

TeaAtThree

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2114
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home