Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Rare Thread
Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: June 17, 2014 17:50

I thought it would be a cool idea if there was a dedicated thread to lesser known Rolling Stones material; Videos, interviews, concert clips & alternate song versions or demos that anyone comes across to post here.

I always come across something I've never seen/heard before, so I'm pretty sure everyone else is too.

Here's one to start I found on YouTube

[m.youtube.com]

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Re: The Rare Thread
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 17, 2014 17:55

Here's another one to add:

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: June 17, 2014 17:59

OK, you read my mind. I was just about to post this:

hiro and black and blue

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: June 17, 2014 17:59

thanks to mightystork who posted this

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 17, 2014 18:00

B-Side of the second single. i can't really comment
on the rareness of it, but when i found it it didn't
only make my day, rather my whole month. love everything
about it, Piano, Harmonica, Keefs Solo. the spoken words
really cracked me up the first time. Bill Wyman shrugs it
off as a "groovy Instrumental" even though
his line is the most essential.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-17 18:44 by Nikkei.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: June 18, 2014 02:56

Stoned, misspelled Stones on the first few hundred copies of the single. Keith said it was basically a rip off of Booker T's Green Onions (which it is)!

Date: June 25, 2014 05:19

just listened to Green Onions and have to agree. but this
has been in countless movies and is therefore difficult not
to rip off in some way. because of the prominent bass, Stoned
reminded me more of LZs How many more Times (which is of course
some years later, as typical for LZ) anyway, as a 3rd generation fan,
my mind was blown when Mick turned up the reverb and said "Stoned".
their second B-side, they had never even inhaled, i had to love it.

here's another one. and it's rare. bloody rare guitar sound,
considering it was the Buttons-Sessions or something.

Date: July 5, 2014 23:34

Date: July 6, 2014 00:03

Houston 1981

video: [www.google.es]

Date: July 6, 2014 00:40

Here's an audio clip of the 2012 Paris rehearsals-
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 6, 2014 04:17

DGA35
Stoned, misspelled Stones on the first few hundred copies of the single. Keith said it was basically a rip off of Booker T's Green Onions (which it is)!

I have a couple of copies of that one!

Date: July 6, 2014 12:02

treaclefingers
DGA35

I'll give you $2.50 for two of them! That's being generous, really. After all, they're misspelled copies! winking smiley

Date: July 6, 2014 13:35

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
treaclefingers
DGA35

I'll give you $2.50 for two of them! That's being generous, really. After all, they're misspelled copies! winking smiley
be careful about that. you don't wanna lose that kind
of money on a single that is probably badly scratched!

Posted by: Stranger09 ()
Date: July 6, 2014 15:01

"alternate song versions"...well this is an alternate mix, there is not widely circulated that got me exited recently, and it's not widely available only on the B-side of a US only single.

I have finally experienced the concept of the mono mix, one that a band has worked on (or they often did anyway), being an exciting and different thing to the familiar stereo mix.

This one is from the tail-end of the mono era - Sway, on the b-side of Wild Horses.

I shopped around (got it from discogs) to avoid paying an absolute fortune, and it still wasn't cheap.

The mix is such that the roughness of the rhythm guitar is far more prominent, and most importantly - aside from a different vocal by Jagger - the backing vocals are much clearer.

Now, the track retains its gentle drawl, but despite that, the boxy sound, the rough guitar, the rough backing vocals (the fact they are spirited, up to a point, rather than perfectly sung - it has an almost 'garage' sound to it, as much as a rock ballad by the Stones in their eighth year could, anyway.

It's very much of its time, but in a very good way.

The strings and keyboard are barely heard, but that's no bad thing, it captures a different, rougher side to the track than the more polished album mix. Is it better? Not necessarily, it's a different mix, but damn good to hear, and went through my mind a lot, making me feel happy.
smiling smiley

[nb and if anyone rushes to track it down and feels I'm being hyperbolic...the stereo version has kicked in just afterwards on my vlc player...the aforementioned guitar and vocals are arguably just as clear on the stereo version, but less of a focus...and the backing vocals, while essentially the same, do sound different in the context of the mono mix...I have been very impressed with the subtleties that are brought out in the original vinyl pressings, and how hard the engineers worked on the mixes (for example how much better the albums mixes sounder than later CD pressings - with all the emphasis on the wrong details - the thwack on the drum rather than the resonance, as a friend who grew up on vinyl more than I did pointed out...he lived thru the sixties unlike me).

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 6, 2014 17:14

Stranger09
"alternate song versions"...well this is an alternate mix, there is not widely circulated that got me exited recently, and it's not widely available only on the B-side of a US only single.

I have finally experienced the concept of the mono mix, one that a band has worked on (or they often did anyway), being an exciting and different thing to the familiar stereo mix.

This one is from the tail-end of the mono era - Sway, on the b-side of Wild Horses.

I shopped around (got it from discogs) to avoid paying an absolute fortune, and it still wasn't cheap.

The mix is such that the roughness of the rhythm guitar is far more prominent, and most importantly - aside from a different vocal by Jagger - the backing vocals are much clearer.

Now, the track retains its gentle drawl, but despite that, the boxy sound, the rough guitar, the rough backing vocals (the fact they are spirited, up to a point, rather than perfectly sung - it has an almost 'garage' sound to it, as much as a rock ballad by the Stones in their eighth year could, anyway.

The strings and keyboard are barely heard, but that's no bad thing, it captures a different, rougher side to the track than the more polished album mix. Is it better? Not necessarily, it's a different mix, but damn good to hear, and went through my mind a lot, making me feel happy.
smiling smiley

[nb and if anyone rushes to track it down and feels I'm being hyperbolic...the stereo version has kicked in just afterwards on my vlc player...the aforementioned guitar and vocals are arguably just as clear on the stereo version, but less of a focus...and the backing vocals, while essentially the same, do sound different in the context of the mono mix...I have been very impressed with the subtleties that are brought out in the original vinyl pressings, and how hard the engineers worked on the mixes (for example how much better the albums mixes sounder than later CD pressings - with all the emphasis on the wrong details - the thwack on the drum rather than the resonance, as a friend who grew up on vinyl more than I did pointed out...he lived thru the sixties unlike me).

Well, if he remembered the sixties, he didn't actually 'live' through them.

Posted by: Athena ()
Date: July 12, 2014 08:54

treaclefingers
Stranger09

smiling smiley

Well, if he remembered the sixties, he didn't actually 'live' through them.

yes, yes as the saying goes! winking smiley

Greek Goddess of Wisdom, Skill...& War

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 12, 2014 09:01

.... when do we get to theee steak ???

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Athena ()
Date: July 12, 2014 09:06

Rockman
.... when do we get to theee steak ???

soon I hope, steak sounds good! smileys with beer

Greek Goddess of Wisdom, Skill...& War

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1655
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home