Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Gimme shelter live 1969 - 1973
Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: June 19, 2014 10:38

OzHeavyThrobber
And something that I've meant to ask here but not gotten to: why is Bernard incapable of blowing the menacing harp on GS or scratching a washboard? Neither is difficult and he could get to one of them while Lisa is trying is busily being a pain in the ass and acting like a fool singing "rape, murder, it's just a shot away" (while smiling - I mean one can't help bit smile when thinking of either) and pointlessly annoying the guitarists all the while wearing footwear that looks as tho it struggles to hold the weight expected of them. She walks as if she's just had an accident in her knickers.

The more I think of it this song has become a travesty performed by the group that wrote and put it to record.

Ditch it for SFM. They're always on fire with that one and we don't have to endure Lisa.

Well.. these issues were discussed to death. Each person sees the issue from its own perspective - do not think anyone here in IORR changed his mind due to these debates.

I think the band like Lisa - the RS, for some 35 years now, is a machine - a winning army of Rock and Roll launching 2 blitzkrieg attacks every 4-5 years as an average. They are expected to win - and winning is measured by the amount of money/people in the boxes/stadiums. For this R&R war machine to keep winning you need as many parts of the machine to function properly - night after night. Since 1989 - and definitely since the late 1990's - there is also the element of continuations: these are aging people. Not so dynamic. Not so much adaptive anymore. You trust "your old mates" who gone with you for a long time. I think that evolution taught Mick, and others who have a say, that it is better to aspire for a safe sound and presentation of mostly safe songs, but achieving that night after night, than making changes that might take this or that song rocketing into the sky OR cause a total collapse. I think this is the main reason they keep & trust Lisa. This is the reason they restrain MT for one song (+his Cameo at Satisfaction which means something like "It might be the last RS gig for most of you, so here you can recall the last snapshot of the band you love as one big smiling family").

They can no longer "sell" as a band that is pushing the edge - they can function well only when all parts coordinate, and for this aspect they need all parts to play by the scrips. No more replacements. No more new parts. In nearly every show on this tour there was at least one "safe" song (like JJF - several times) where the band "lost it" in the middle for some seconds due to one element going off tracks. When they were younger such incidents could have ended with a nice live version we might think as improvisation. In today's situation it sounds, immediately, as a train wreck. And with 100 Youtube channel'S filled with high quality clips from your last gig within 4 hours - you just go for the safe place you already know: Lisa, Chuck etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-19 10:41 by Wroclaw.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 19, 2014 11:03

So it goes, Wroclaw, so it goes. But for such a modern war machine, they using a rather old gear, i.e. lots of war horses.... grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: June 19, 2014 11:16

stanlove
Poetry
Of course, the lead on the studio take was Keith, but did Keith ever play the solo live in the Taylor years?
I think the studio version has to be one of his best solos.
Love the atmosphere of it.

I don't think they ever did a decent live version until 1989..I can't believe anyone can listen to earlier ones and think it actually sounds good. Its awful

Well, actually I think Altamont version is the best live version of the song.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: June 27, 2014 20:28

The studio version can not be matched.

Merry Clayton is shouting without yelling (as french, I could explain the nuance easier in my language winking smiley.

Lisa is great, but IMO today her performance looks like a vocal performance.

The oppressive spirit of the song has completely disappeared.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: June 27, 2014 22:24

The studio version cannot be matched, I agree. The Winos came closest to create the tension of the intro from the studio version, imo. Then Keith started to sing... smiling smiley

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2008
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home