Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Guns and Roses and the Stones
Date: June 6, 2014 17:36

dcba
keefriffhard4life

yeah duff hates axl so much that here he is standing on stage with him this year

Duff's got two (gorgeous) teenage daughters who'll soon go to college... smoking smiley
So he needs to gather some cash.

current GNR bass player tommy stinson is back with his old band the Replacements, big hit was "i'll be you", for a reunion tour. axl called duff himself and asked if he would like to play until stinson returns and duff said yes.

Date: June 6, 2014 17:39

gibsonman
G&R is the only band from the 80s I listen to. Great rocknroll and in the 80s they were true rockers. The original guitarplayer Slash is a great guitarist and often plays wearing a Stones t-shirt.

Nowadays G&R is only a parody of what they used to be. And Axl Rose seem to care nothing about his fans. But their music from the early days still stands out as great rocknroll.....

you mean tracii guns?

Posted by: SilverBlanket ()
Date: June 6, 2014 18:03

His Majesty
Horrible.

smileys with beer

Posted by: 2000man ()
Date: June 6, 2014 18:07

some good songs,but what a bunch of poser phonies, anytime there was a camera near by they'd make sure the cigarette was just so and a bottle of JD in hand, unlike someone else I can think of - who at one time just always looked like that...

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: June 6, 2014 18:09

When Izzy quit it was all down hill from there! You cannot lose your best songwriter and go on as before.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 6, 2014 18:54

muffie
Don't bother going to see the current lineup of Axl Rose and his Guns'n'Roses. It's hardly the same band. If want to see what they were, watch the Ritz '88 show. Their finest hour, just like some may say that Brussels '73 was the Stones'.

Ritz was good but the late'88 Japanese shows were even better! thumbs up

Posted by: rolnstn2 ()
Date: June 6, 2014 19:26

Wow, let the crucifixion begin…

I just saw Axl and his band 5/31/14 here in Las Vegas and it was decent. In fact, this show had Duff subbing in on bass which was cool.

Saw this same incarnation (minus Duff of course as Stinson was available) on 12/31/11 (New Year’s Eve) again same location The Joint at the Hard Rock and it was about 3 hours long. (Clearly making up for all of those abruptly ended shows over the years)

No, it’s not the original G N’ R but if you like these tunes and want to hear them sung by the original lead singer than this is all you have.

Slash is opening up for Aerosmith this summer on selected dates and I’m looking forward to seeing him perform but Myles Kennedy is no Axl, and quite frankly his biggest success is singing lead for Slash’s band which live includes a healthy dose of G N’R songs.
The original band was great, and nostalgia is what both of these artists (Axl/Slash) are making their living on.

The music speaks for itself.

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: June 6, 2014 21:45

fahthree
A band that was on the cusp of ruling the world but never made it there because Rose was crazy. A real shame.

Stones blew them of the stage in LA/1989

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: June 6, 2014 22:10

Haven't we slagged them off on this forum before???
C'mon...

They were @#$%& GREAT!
A true Rock N' Roll band that played some @#$%& GREAT music.
They imploded in spectacular fashion at the top of the world,
for all eyes to see.

Top notch shit, in my book.

I'll take Slash and his band over Axl and his nowadays, but those LA Coliseum
shows in '89 were an outright BLAST!

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: June 6, 2014 22:23

I just recalled that back in 1989 I read in some newspaper about the Stones tour of North America where G&R were the opening act. The article said that "by choosing them (G&R) as their opening act the Rolling Stones are crowning them as their inheriters, just as Cream did with Yes".

Well... 25 years pass and G&R are broken to pieces, while the Stones are still here...grinning smiley

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: June 6, 2014 22:24

His Majesty
Horrible.

smileys with beer
Brilliant!

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: June 6, 2014 22:39

Kurt
C'mon...

They were @#$%& GREAT!
!

In other words you liked them, so your opinion is they played great music...I for one can't stand thier music and think it was way over the top...turn the station as soon as I hear them come on.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: June 6, 2014 22:48

In my humble opinion,
yes.
winking smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 6, 2014 23:02

Dreamer
His Majesty
Horrible.

smileys with beer
Brilliant!

Thanks.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: June 6, 2014 23:07

I know plenty of G&R fans but MAN I HATE THAT BAND. I dislike their style and sound in totality. Screamy irritating vocals, shrill guitars and drums that are way too busy and straight. No groove. Just bang your head dumb jock rock.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: June 6, 2014 23:10

Think I'll leave these right here....

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: June 6, 2014 23:19

Kurt
C'mon...

They were @#$%& GREAT!
They imploded in spectacular fashion at the top of the world,
for all eyes to see.

Top notch shit, in my book.

I'll take Slash and his band over Axl and his nowadays, but those LA Coliseum
shows in '89 were an outright BLAST!

Yep, a great band. The supergroup w/the GnR guys, Joe Elliott, the Deep Purple singer, etc etc. tried to to get Keith to sit in with them last year, but no.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 6, 2014 23:32

flacnvinyl
No groove.

No groove? Adler was the grooviest drummer or the 80's... confused smiley
Okay Sorum was a lot stiffer but Adler, wow!

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: June 6, 2014 23:43

[www.youtube.com]

izzy stradlin with ronnie wood in his first album of 1992.

and this is a track from 2002 album that is very similiar to crazy mama

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-06 23:48 by pepganzo.

Date: June 6, 2014 23:44

flacnvinyl
I know plenty of G&R fans but MAN I HATE THAT BAND. I dislike their style and sound in totality. Screamy irritating vocals, shrill guitars and drums that are way too busy and straight. No groove. Just bang your head dumb jock rock.

thumbs up

Date: June 6, 2014 23:46

keefriffhard4life
gibsonman
G&R is the only band from the 80s I listen to. Great rocknroll and in the 80s they were true rockers. The original guitarplayer Slash is a great guitarist and often plays wearing a Stones t-shirt.

Nowadays G&R is only a parody of what they used to be. And Axl Rose seem to care nothing about his fans. But their music from the early days still stands out as great rocknroll.....

you mean tracii guns?

Yep, Tracii, whom I once had the pleasure touring with. Such a sweet guy thumbs up

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: June 6, 2014 23:54

flacnvinyl

I don't know that I could have come up with a better description of my own feelings for G&R. Only possibly to add that I actually TRIED to like them as many of my friends did/do. Came close a couple of times, but I just couldn't get there.

Thanks for the videos as well, Drake. Funny stuff! Did you make 'em or just find 'em?

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: June 7, 2014 00:00

I liked them for a short while when I was about 12, but then I wised up.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: June 7, 2014 00:01

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-07 00:04 by pepganzo.

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: June 7, 2014 00:56

Never shy to inject a liberal dose of controversy...

I saw the original GNR line-up at Wembley Stadium at the time of UUI world tour and they were a train wreck as a cohesive band. The "edge" made up for the dishevelment though.

I have seen the Axl and "friends" version of GNR several times and thought they were infinitely superior in every way than the original band. The last time I saw them, I saw Slash and his band (with Myles Kennedy on vocals) the next night. Considering the two gigs, I was shocked to find how bored I was with the Slash band overall and how fired I was by the GNR show in contrast. It struck me how much the GNR, is Axl, original line-up song writing contributions aside. He has the "X" factor that Myles Kennedy lacked, despite Myles being a technically far better singer.

Cheers,
Indi

Date: June 7, 2014 01:56

DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life
gibsonman

you mean tracii guns?

Yep, Tracii, whom I once had the pleasure touring with. Such a sweet guy thumbs up

wow really? he is one of my favorite guitar players. very underrated and much more versatile then slash

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: June 7, 2014 02:35

[deleted]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-07 02:52 by MILKYWAY.

Date: June 7, 2014 02:38

MILKYWAY
Wroclaw
I just recalled that back in 1989 I read in some newspaper about the Stones tour of North America where G&R were the opening act. The article said that "by choosing them (G&R) as their opening act the Rolling Stones are crowning them as their inheritors, just as Cream did with Yes".

Oh my. I am absolutely speechless. Sunshine of Your Love compared with Take the Long Way Home.[/quote

take the long way home is supertramp

Posted by: gibsonman ()
Date: June 7, 2014 02:41

keefriffhard4life
DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life
gibsonman

you mean tracii guns?

wow really? he is one of my favorite guitar players. very underrated and much more versatile then slash

Have to admit I was wrong here. But Slash was the original guitarplayer in their commercial succsess, right? I saw a documentary about g&r a while ago. Must remember their story wrong. Anyway, Slash is a very good guitarplayer in my opinion ....smileys with beer

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: June 7, 2014 02:46

keefriffhard4life
MILKYWAY
Wroclaw
I just recalled that back in 1989 I read in some newspaper about the Stones tour of North America where G&R were the opening act. The article said that "by choosing them (G&R) as their opening act the Rolling Stones are crowning them as their inheritors, just as Cream did with Yes".

Oh my. I am absolutely speechless. Sunshine of Your Love compared with Take the Long Way Home.

take the long way home is supertramp

Of course. I knew that. Sorry. I meant Owner of a Lonely Heart. What's wrong with me tonight?

Off topic: Has anyone ever get warning that says something like, POSSIBLE HACKING ATTEMPT?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-07 02:55 by MILKYWAY.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1633
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home