Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Guns and Roses and the Stones
Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: June 6, 2014 04:25

By chance, I tuned in to Palladia television on June 5 to see part of an awards ceremony, celebrating the greatest bands of all time. Nicholas Cage in person stated that G and R, and Axl Rose, were the Gods of Rock. Being unfamiliar with this group, I am not sure if the band members were original members of the group, but I will tell you this. It was terrible. Axl's voice was loud and squeaky, and his movements were not fluid. The guitarists thought that playing ten notes per second, in as high a register as possible, was the only way to play a guitar. The drummer banged away at his drum kit, as a carpenter might bang on a nail. Ironically, he was wearing a shirt with the Stones disembodied tongue. Also, I could not discern any melody in the songs he sung. In one word, lousy.

The Stones songs have discernible melodies, and Keith plays in a fluid style and is not afraid of pauses. It is soulful and very different from anything I have heard from any other band. Last night I learned why I have liked the Stones for so many years.

Re: Guns and Roses and the Stones
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: June 6, 2014 04:36

Yes! succinctly stated.

however, if Nicholas cage is a g& r fan, whatever.

Posted by: OCarol ()
Date: June 6, 2014 06:04

Unfamiliar with G&r... how can that be?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-06 06:05 by OCarol.

Date: June 6, 2014 07:04

OCarol

thats what i was thinking. living under a bridge or something

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: June 6, 2014 10:00

keefriffhard4life
OCarol

thats what i was thinking. living under a bridge or something

...or born after 1991, f.i.?!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 6, 2014 10:15

flilflam
I am not sure if the band members were original members of the group

The answer is : no!
So your judgement is unfair, it's like picking a Jagger'88 vid on YT and say "boohoo, the Stones sucked didn't they?"

In both cases only the singer remains... the rest are expandable hired hands.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-06 10:57 by dcba.

Date: June 6, 2014 10:18

flilflam
By chance, I tuned in to Palladia television on June 5 to see part of an awards ceremony, celebrating the greatest bands of all time. Nicholas Cage in person stated that G and R, and Axl Rose, were the Gods of Rock. Being unfamiliar with this group, I am not sure if the band members were original members of the group, but I will tell you this. It was terrible. Axl's voice was loud and squeaky, and his movements were not fluid. The guitarists thought that playing ten notes per second, in as high a register as possible, was the only way to play a guitar. The drummer banged away at his drum kit, as a carpenter might bang on a nail. Ironically, he was wearing a shirt with the Stones disembodied tongue. Also, I could not discern any melody in the songs he sung. In one word, lousy.

The Stones songs have discernible melodies, and Keith plays in a fluid style and is not afraid of pauses. It is soulful and very different from anything I have heard from any other band. Last night I learned why I have liked the Stones for so many years.

G&R was probably the best rock'n'roll band to come out of the hair metal era. In a time with tasteless production, and less focus on the music, they were a breath of fresh air.

It was still the 80s, mind you, and some of the trends of the time were still within their sound. But luckily, they kinda saved it all for a while.

Melodies? yes, plenty!

And of course, they are big Stones fans smiling smiley

Posted by: gibsonman ()
Date: June 6, 2014 11:44

G&R is the only band from the 80s I listen to. Great rocknroll and in the 80s they were true rockers. The original guitarplayer Slash is a great guitarist and often plays wearing a Stones t-shirt.

Nowadays G&R is only a parody of what they used to be. And Axl Rose seem to care nothing about his fans. But their music from the early days still stands out as great rocknroll.....

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: June 6, 2014 11:51

I'm not exactly a fan of Guns'n'Roses but, like Dandie said, they were a cut above anything else that came out of Los Angeles around that time. Slash is an extremely talented guitar player with a fine sense of melody and phrasing, which is all the more impressive when you consider that all his 80s contemporaries were focused on shredding and technique. He's cited Mick Taylor as his favourite guitar player on a few occasions. Some of the guitar interplay between Slash and Izzy Stradlin was very good indeed, not to say heavily influenced by the Stones. Indeed, G'n'R in their prime - in this case, after Gilby Clarke replaced Stradlin on second guitar - were one of the few bands that could play Stones music with real conviction:

Basically, as others have said, it is important not to confuse the original G'n'R - a flawed but nonetheless estimable band - with today's incarnation, which is literally just Axl Rose and a bunch of session musicians playing dull, generic heavy metal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-06 11:55 by Stoneburst.

Posted by: tussler ()
Date: June 6, 2014 11:52

GN`R was a fantastic band and they ended in 94/95. After that it has been Axl project, not the "real" GN`R. GN`R was one of the bands who was able to master stadium-concert. Great band-sad story.

Posted by: tussler ()
Date: June 6, 2014 11:59

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: June 6, 2014 12:04

tussler
GN`R was a fantastic band and they ended in 94/95. After that it has been Axl project, not the "real" GN`R. GN`R was one of the bands who was able to master stadium-concert. Great band-sad story.

Spot on!

Everyone who thinks they see GNR these days...forget it!

It´s that pathetic man Axl with his pathetic band!

GNR was a fantastic band but it all ended because of Axl 94/95, it´s one of the few bands with all original memebers still alive that would fill stadiums all over the world over and over again if they would reunite. That wont happen though because of Axl. Slash, Duff, Matt and the others can´t stand him and i don´t blame them at all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-06 12:07 by JumpinJeppeFlash.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 6, 2014 12:05

Yeah, great band and seeing them play an instrumental "Wild Horses" in 1992 in Vincennes remains a great memory.

What's a bit sad is that they're getting this "Lifetime" award now when they're probably the worst parody of a band that you could come up with if you tried. Axl can't carry a tune anymore, he looks hideous and he plays with hired hands. And it gets worse...I almost puked when I read that Axl was of the opinion [music.yahoo.com] that Mick ALSO deserved a lifetime award, really ?! Ok, rereading the statement now it's not as "pompous" as I remembered it but still...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: June 6, 2014 12:41

tussler
GN`R was a fantastic band and they ended in 94/95.

Make that 91... when Izzy Stradlin left. He was the backbone and the moral compass of the band (as well as being the main song-crafter).

After that G&R was a pathetic freak-show.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: June 6, 2014 13:42

Saw them twice, in 92 and 93. So i just missed Izzy. Both shows were absolutely great. Not exactly low profile, but wtf. Appetite still gets heavy rotation here. The two Illusions didn't age as well.

C

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 6, 2014 13:54

love guns and roses .but motley crue has stood the test of time .crue is by far the better band also from L.A. .why because crue does not have a@# h$%^ axhole rose. slash a great guitar player ,too bad he got mixed up with axel rose .crue made more albums and had more hits and was a real functioning band

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: June 6, 2014 13:57

A band that was on the cusp of ruling the world but never made it there because Rose was crazy. A real shame.

Date: June 6, 2014 14:01

JumpinJeppeFlash
tussler

Spot on!

GNR was a fantastic band but it all ended because of Axl 94/95, it´s one of the few bands with all original memebers still alive that would fill stadiums all over the world over and over again if they would reunite. That wont happen though because of Axl. Slash, Duff, Matt and the others can´t stand him and i don´t blame them at all.

duff can't stand him? maybe you should tell that to duff then since he has been playing bass again for the current GNR tour while tommy stinson is out. duff and izzy both still play with GNR from time to time and duff's newer band LOADED even opened for GNR a few years ago.

Date: June 6, 2014 14:02

gibsonman
G&R is the only band from the 80s I listen to. Great rocknroll and in the 80s they were true rockers. The original guitarplayer Slash is a great guitarist and often plays wearing a Stones t-shirt.

Nowadays G&R is only a parody of what they used to be. And Axl Rose seem to care nothing about his fans. But their music from the early days still stands out as great rocknroll.....

i suggest you check out the band CIRCUS OF POWER. go to youtube and check out the song "motor"

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: June 6, 2014 14:08

keefriffhard4life
JumpinJeppeFlash
tussler

Spot on!

duff can't stand him? maybe you should tell that to duff then since he has been playing bass again for the current GNR tour while tommy stinson is out. duff and izzy both still play with GNR from time to time and duff's newer band LOADED even opened for GNR a few years ago.

It's not GNR it's Axl with his little band, nothing else. It's pathetic to see someone else play Slash riffs as much pathetic it was to see Joe Satriani play Keiths Rifs.

Posted by: muffie ()
Date: June 6, 2014 14:22

Don't bother going to see the current lineup of Axl Rose and his Guns'n'Roses. It's hardly the same band. If want to see what they were, watch the Ritz '88 show. Their finest hour, just like some may say that Brussels '73 was the Stones'.

GNR was a blues-rock band with punk influences. They rocked nicely during the hair band era, being pretty much the biggest rock touring band of the early 90s. Some related Stones tidbits:

- Per Slash's biography, Keith advised him to 'not leave the band'. He did and so the GNR brand by default remained with Axl.

- Per Slash's biography, the 1994 GNR remake of the Stones classic "Sympathy For The Devil" for the Interview With A Vampire soundtrack was the final catalyst that caused the band to disintegrate. Slash didn't appreciate having his guitar work dubbed over by another guitarist under direction of Axl.

- Per Slash's biography, Axl modelled their early 90s world tour on the 1972 Stones STP tour, complete with extravegant afterparties.

- Dead Flowers studio version has one of Slash's favorite ever guitar solos.
MT being one of Slash's favorite guitarists.

- "No Expectations" was the inspiration behind the GNR hit "Patience".

- Guns N Roses co-headlined some LA Stones gigs in 1989.

- Slash has collaborated with Ronnie Wood in the studio.

There's a lot of love for the MT-era Stones by GNR or ex-members inc Velvet Revolver. Consider:

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-06 19:14 by muffie.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 6, 2014 14:36

Horrible.

Date: June 6, 2014 14:44

JumpinJeppeFlash
keefriffhard4life
JumpinJeppeFlash
tussler

Spot on!

It's not GNR it's Axl with his little band, nothing else. It's pathetic to see someone else play Slash riffs as much pathetic it was to see Joe Satriani play Keiths Rifs.

what does that statement have to do with you saying duff and izzy can't stand axl. izzy left because he hating touring and duff left because he didn't like the musical direction the band was taking.

yeah duff hates axl so much that here he is standing on stage with him this year

Posted by: Jelly Face Joe ()
Date: June 6, 2014 14:47

I remember reading an article about them touring in their heyday. Right before they hit the stage, the Stones "Stupid Girl" was blaring in their dressing room.

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: June 6, 2014 14:50

Saw them at Manchester Apollo when Appetite for Destruction came out. They didnt even open the Circle. Faster Pussycat supported.
Then was down the front at the infamous Monsters of Rock at Donington when 2 kids died. Genuinely terrified. Lost interest when Use your Illusion came out and the original band splintered but for that first 18 months or so they were the most exciting, best Rock and Roll band on the planet.

Date: June 6, 2014 14:51

for those who think GNR was the only new band in the 80's that rocked. check out these 2 bands

circus of power

quireboys

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: June 6, 2014 14:55

Slash's two most recent 'solo' albums are excellent.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: June 6, 2014 16:08

DandelionPowderman

G&R was probably the best rock'n'roll band to come out of the hair metal era. In a time with tasteless production, and less focus on the music, they were a breath of fresh air.

It was still the 80s, mind you, and some of the trends of the time were still within their sound. But luckily, they kinda saved it all for a while.

Melodies? yes, plenty!

thumbs up

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: June 6, 2014 16:13

gibsonman

and he's a friend of Ronnie's ...

Date: June 6, 2014 16:29

keefriffhard4life

yeah duff hates axl so much that here he is standing on stage with him this year

Duff's got two (gorgeous) teenage daughters who'll soon go to college... smoking smiley
So he needs to gather some cash.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1389
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home