Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: ot: Born In The USA 30 years ago
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 5, 2014 18:38

About "Dancing In The Drek"...

[goldenageofmusicvideo.com]

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: June 5, 2014 18:47

I had real mixed feelings about this record.

Never cared for IOF which I mentioned earlier. Also never really cared for Cover Me and Dancing In the Dark, but I loved everything else on that record.

...but i have to say, for me, live, Bruce can bring life into a song that I would normally pass over when assembling an mp3 compilation.

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: June 5, 2014 18:51

Great article. When you dance that poorly, it should be done in the dark.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: June 5, 2014 19:04

DGA35
Hey, the Dancing In The Dark video made a star out of Courtney Cox! As far as many other songs on the album go, I actually like the live versions found on the Live 75-85 triple album. I'm On Fire, My Hometown, Cover Me, No Surrender, Darlington County, etc.

Every time I would watch that video I would say to myself "at least her tampon is working properly"grinning smiley

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: June 5, 2014 20:16

I saw him play it start to finish in 2009 at his last ever show at the Philadelphia Spectrum. I had chills for most of it.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: June 5, 2014 20:31

Gazza
"This Hard Land" (one of the best half dozen Bruce songs ever),

In your opinion right? Doubt if many at all would agree with that.

You probably should say one of your half dozen Bruce favorites...

Date: June 5, 2014 20:33

dcba
trainarollin
Never understood why "Cover Me" was popular.

Me neither... "I'm on Fire" is a far superior song!

And that vid by the great John Sayles : when the posh lady in white drops the car keys in Bruce's hand, and in return Bruce drops the keys in the lady's mailbox, so he won't have to see her again!

Wow that's saying a lot in such a subtle way! thumbs up

Never ceases t amaze me that people always get things like this wrong..

Actually if you remember the video he went to ring the doorbell but chickened out and smiled a little about it..

Not sure where you got he went there so he didn't have to see her again.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: June 5, 2014 20:50

One of the worst Springsteen tunes. Overplayed!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 6, 2014 01:36

stanlove
Gazza

Everything in my post (likewise with everyone else's, including yours) was an opinion. I'd have thought that bloody obvious!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-06 01:37 by Gazza.

Date: June 6, 2014 02:44

Gazza
stanlove
Gazza

Everything in my post (likewise with everyone else's, including yours) was an opinion. I'd have thought that bloody obvious!

No actually I don't pass off my opinions as fact...Not sure why someone when talking about music just doesn't say my opinion when stating things..

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 6, 2014 03:29

The title track still gives me Goosebumps. Its annoying that 30 years later a lot of people don't realize what the song is really about.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: June 6, 2014 03:47

I like Born In the USA very much. I was just out of high school and for me it was so much better than the other 80's stuff coming out at the time. Sadly I think it took a lot out of Bruce in terms of I think he hated being a megastar and he did not want to go back to it. He has put out some very good material since. However for me Greetings to Nebraska is his best work. Born To Run and Darkness are my favorites. The Rising is his only later work that I can put in with his best work and Wrecking Ball was good. Unimpressed with magic and I even forget the other one he put out after Magic. Got rave reviews but I thought it was terrible.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: June 6, 2014 05:57

stanlove
Gazza

....NO I am with Gazza. A STUNNING song that somehow nearly slipped thru the cracks. You sometimes gotta wonder what Springsteen is/was thinking when he puts a song like that aside....

Great album, 80s production, but, well, it WAS produced in the 80s! Live, ALL these songs take on a life of their own.

Rgds
Rod
Perth

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 6, 2014 15:10

When Bruce started playing 'This hard Land' in 1993 (after being plagued by fans to perform it for years) he acknowledged on stage at shows I was at that it should have been on the record and was one of the best songs he'd ever written.

Of course he was only expressing an opinion and not a statement that could be scientifically proven....eye rolling smiley grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-06 15:11 by Gazza.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 6, 2014 15:41

Listened to it for the first time in about 10 years driving in to work this morning. There's 4 songs that spun my wheels - Downbound Train, I'm On Fire, No Surrender and My Home Town.

The rest was lazy, stadium rock by numbers that sounded too overblown. He was overdoing that blue collar rock a tad too much for my liking on this album but redeemed himself with the masterful Tunnel Of Love.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: June 6, 2014 15:47

stanlove
Gazza
stanlove
Gazza

No actually I don't pass off my opinions as fact...Not sure why someone when talking about music just doesn't say my opinion when stating things..
That's RIDICULOUS. It is absolutely self-evident that what Gazza offered up was opinion, just as 99% of what is posted on this site about musical taste is opinion.

It DOES NOT need to be explicitly stated. You're being a truculent jerk for no reason.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 6, 2014 16:51

stanlove

Hey, I got an even worse version : turn the sound off and you'd swear what happens is :
- the posh lady comes to the garage for the 1st time (cos hubby couldn't?)
- she drops the keys in Bruce's hand cos he doesn't want to touch the smelly working-class dork.
- said dork'd like to bang the posh lady (as a proletarian revenge) but he balks at the very last time (too bad).

Not bad huh? >grinning smiley<

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: June 6, 2014 17:23

stanlove
Gazza
stanlove
Gazza

DISCLAIMER: The following statement is an opinion which is defined by Merriam -Webster as "a belief, judgment, or way of thinking about something: what someone thinks about a particular thing". This in nw way should be interpreted as a fact.

When talking about music any rational human being knows it's someone's opinion.

I agree with Gazza. It's a great song.

Date: June 6, 2014 19:00

fahthree
stanlove
Gazza
stanlove
Gazza

DISCLAIMER: The following statement is an opinion which is defined by Merriam -Webster as "a belief, judgment, or way of thinking about something: what someone thinks about a particular thing". This in nw way should be interpreted as a fact.

When talking about music any rational human being knows it's someone's opinion.

I agree with Gazza. It's a great song.

I am stickler for accuracy. No reason for anyone to stat any music opinion as fact. He could just as easily written in his opinion its one of the 6 best Springsteen songs ever..

Any rational human being could wonder why anyone passes off opinion as fact..

Date: June 6, 2014 19:03

keefriff99
stanlove
Gazza
stanlove
Gazza

That's RIDICULOUS. It is absolutely self-evident that what Gazza offered up was opinion, just as 99% of what is posted on this site about musical taste is opinion.

It DOES NOT need to be explicitly stated. You're being a truculent jerk for no reason.

I don’t know what 'truculent' means, but if it’s good, it’s me.

Date: June 6, 2014 19:13

bitusa2012
stanlove
Gazza

....NO I am with Gazza. A STUNNING song that somehow nearly slipped thru the cracks. You sometimes gotta wonder what Springsteen is/was thinking when he puts a song like that aside....

Great album, 80s production, but, well, it WAS produced in the 80s! Live, ALL these songs take on a life of their own.

Rgds
Rod
Perth

I think the song is average at best. I have never heard many Springsteen people talk about it at all. I think you are way out in left field claiming its among the top 5 greatest Bruce songs ever and I am sure the great majority of people who know Bruce songs would agree with me on that.

See now if it was just stated that it was a top 5 favorite of Springsteen then I wouldn't feel the need to respond, There is no disagreement or argument there. But when someone claims its a top 5 greatest Springsteen songs then there is a reason to reply...Understand...

If you have a friend who likes the band Ratt and he tells you he likes them better then Dylan,Stones, and the Beatles combined there is nothing to respond to. You know he has shit taste in music but everyone has their preferences..But if he goes around telling you they are greater then Dylan,Stones, and the Beatles combined then there is something to respond to...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-06 21:34 by stanlove.

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: June 6, 2014 20:16

dcba
stanlove

Hey, I got an even worse version : turn the sound off and you'd swear what happens is :
- the posh lady comes to the garage for the 1st time (cos hubby couldn't?)
- she drops the keys in Bruce's hand cos he doesn't want to touch the smelly working-class dork.
- said dork'd like to bang the posh lady (as a proletarian revenge) but he balks at the very last time (too bad).

Not bad huh? >grinning smiley<
Bruce in the video is the cleanest car mechanic in the world. His pristine white t shirt and jeans cling to the right place. The posh lady should have treated him better and not looked down on him in such a snooty way. She might then got somethings more substantial than her car keys dropped into the mail box!>grinning smiley<

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: June 6, 2014 21:16

IMO it's a fact that DITD is to Courteney Cox as ASMB is to Angelina Jolie, and FWIW i do like what the Boss did there with BITU.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: June 7, 2014 02:25

Gazza
I remember getting a collection of outtakes a few weeks/months after its release and being astounded at how superior the songs were that had been omitted.

An alternative album featuring most (or all) of the following songs - "Murder Inc", "This Hard Land" (one of the best half dozen Bruce songs ever), "Frankie", "My Love will not let you down", "Shut Out The Light", "A Good Man is hard to find", "The Klansman", "Brothers under the bridges", "County Fair", "Richfield Whistle", "None But The Brave" and "Richfield Whistle" would have made for a very different and darker album which probably wouldnt have sold as well, but which would have been far superior.

In many ways, its a sort of 'flip' to Darkness, where he ditched the pop material (a lot of which ended up on 'The Promise' and 'Tracks') in favour of the darker songs.

At the time it came out, I found many of the songs trite and overproduced compared to what I'd heard from him before and still do, to some extent (I wouldnt put it in his top 12 studio albums). My next reaction on hearing it was to realise that the genie was out of the bottle and this was the album that would make him a megastar.

I have a bootleg collection somewhere around the house(?) of those tracks that had been omitted, and yes, Born in the USA would have taken on a different dynamic with those tunes. What amazes me is how prolific Bruce is that he still has so many quality songs that he can choose to disgard. I bought the 4 CD Tracks when that came out and that compilation attests to how prolific a writer Bruce is.
Regarding Born in the USA, yes it was a commercial departure for Bruce, but at the same time, it was this album that took him from cult to mega pop star status and also introduced a whole new audience to the Boss's work. Born in the USA was the album (and tour) that got me hooked. Regarding the song Born in the USA itself, I actually prefer the stripped down "Nebraska" version that is featured on the Tracks box set over what was officially released in 1984.

Posted by: superglen ()
Date: June 7, 2014 11:02

I suggest everybody to watch the BITUSA London 2013 official live DVD. full performance of the album top to bottom, with the expanded ESB (horns, choir, violin). simply amazing, and it attests what a great record it is.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2227
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home