Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Change Warhorses! Make them more interesting!
Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: June 3, 2014 23:01

ab
For example, replace Honky Tonk Women with Let It Bleed.

Umm, no?!

Posted by: hirschjaeger ()
Date: June 5, 2014 04:49

Re: Change Warhorses! Make them more interesting! new

Posted by: Jimmer ()

Date: June 3, 2014 07:26

I agree 100% with you Gazza!

Main classics/ war horses they play (and have played) virtually every show for many many years now:

Satisfaction
Jumping Jack Flash
Sympathy for the Devil
Honky Tonk Women
Brown Sugar
Tumbling Dice
It's Only Rock n' Roll
Miss You
Start Me Up

There are plenty of classics and other gems like Gazza said that could be rotated into the set on different nights while giving this list of 9 (and others they play frequently) some well needed rests. Some of these below, the band plays once in awhile (and some even a little more from time to time) but many are rarely if ever dusted off. I think it would keep the band fresh and energized too as well as the fans. Here is a sampling:

Route 66
Around and Around
Paint It Black
Flight 505
Ruby Tuesday
Out of Time
Street Fighting Man
Salt of the Earth
Can't You Hear Me Knocking
Let It Bleed
Dead Flowers
Moonlight Mile
Rocks Off
Loving Cup
Let it Loose
Shine a Light
Star Star
Dance Little Sister
Memory Motel
Some Girls
Worried About You (which they are doing on this tour stretch)
One Hit (To the Body)
Fancy Man Blues
Saint of Me
Out of Control
Tallahassee Lassie
Keep up Blues

And the list goes on and on... They clearly sell their incredible catalogue way too short. Having said that, I must say that I loved seeing them for the 40th time last year in Philly (# 2)! It was an amazing night and show! Would still have loved them to change it up more. But ultimately I was just very fortunate to get to see them again!

Right on, Gazza!

Jimmer

they should Play also 2000 light years from home that was so amazing in1990 before sympathy
i really hope they do another tour and than in smaller place, Stones have plenty of die hard fans who wanna hear difference, like bruce springsteen does it, he Change half of the set in every Show, why dont Stones, they have more big hits than anybody else
so lets hope for another tour and than they do something for us die hard fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!please Keith, Charly, Ronnie and mick thans from swiss

Date: June 5, 2014 11:00

Turning To Gold
"Tumbling Dice" has NEVER been right, ever since Keith STOPPED PLAYING the rhythm guitar part on the outro, and started soloing pointlessly over the end!!!!! The song completely falls apart without that open G, solid rhythm guitar backbone to it. Go back and listen to anY old live version of TD, pre-Vegas, '72, '75, '81/'82, where Keith is locked in with Charlie on that ending. Its hypnotic and mesmerizing and builds the song UP! Then listen to any modern version, any recent version, you'll hear him start wandering, playing clams, or stop playing completely and pose for the cameras, and the pulse and feel of the song is COMPLETELY lost. The best modern versions live, were with Blondie playing the lick in open G and Keith TURNED DOWN IN THE MIX.

He only does that for a little while, before going back to that rhythm.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 5, 2014 12:31

Don't ya know ya shouldn't change warhorses in mid-stream.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: June 5, 2014 16:23

My three short statements...

(A) I like the way they play the so called "warhorses" (their "classics").

(cool smiley Some fans would like faster versions, but in my ears the speed is not the factor that necessarilly makes a version great. Examples: I'm not dying for Hyde Park 1969 concert, but i really love HTW from this. And it was a slow version. I consider JJF fron "R'n'R Circus" superior than many faster versions. Under My Thumb from 1981/82 was an amazing fast version, IMO. On the same tour "Satisfaction" was almost horrible. Very fast and very bad, IMO. I know that many disagree, but this is my opinion.

(C) I can't imagine a Stones gig without JJF, HTW and some others, even I would like a few more 80s and 90s songs on the lists.

Date: June 5, 2014 16:31

laertisflash
My three short statements...

(A) I like the way they play the so called "warhorses" (their "classics").

(cool smiley Some fans would like faster versions, but in my ears the speed is not the factor that necessarilly makes a version great. Examples: I'm not dying for Hyde Park 1969 concert, but i really love HTW from this. And it was a slow version. I consider JJF fron "R'n'R Circus" superior than many faster versions. Under My Thumb from 1981/82 was an amazing fast version, IMO. On the same tour "Satisfaction" was almost horrible. Very fast and very bad, IMO. I know that many disagree, but this is my opinion.

(C) I can't imagine a Stones gig without JJF, HTW and some others, even I would like a few more 80s and 90s songs on the lists.

+1

And JJF from 1969 is the slowest ever. Just saying...

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: June 5, 2014 16:33

Exactly, Dandelion!

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: June 5, 2014 16:42

This is what happens when a rock and roll band has been around for over 50 years. People get tired of hearing the same songs over and over again. Most any performer has a core group of songs that are the foundation of their live performances, and the so-called warhorses are that for the Stones. Some people here are now apparently thinking the setlists need to be tailored to the hard core fan, and that just is never going to happen. Never, ever.

No one complains as much as this because McCartney always does Let It Be, Hey Jude, etc. But he does two and a half hours plus, almost three hours, of 30-35 songs each show. The songs are structured differently and he's not running from pillar to post across the stage, either. His drummer is 40ish compared to 73 though, and his guitar players are "only" in their late 50's, as is the keyboard player. Consequently, with the Stones, you are now only going to get 18-20 songs due to their ages and they're all going to seem familiar. I doubt they'll ever please everyone, so they got to please themselves.

Moreover looking at the latest picture of the four of them on the IORR home page, they just.look.tired. Two of them have all white hair now, and if the other two didn't color their hair I'd bet they'd all be white or gray. Then there's the paunches. Isn't one of them a great-grandfather now? The public needs to let them go. Let them rest. They deserve it. They've been "The Rolling Stones" long enough.

Date: June 5, 2014 16:44

Long John Stoner
This is what happens when a rock and roll band has been around for over 50 years. People get tired of hearing the same songs over and over again. Most any performer has a core group of songs that are the foundation of their live performances, and the so-called warhorses are that for the Stones. Some people here are now apparently thinking the setlists need to be tailored to the hard core fan, and that just is never going to happen. Never, ever.

No one complains as much as this because McCartney always does Let It Be, Hey Jude, etc. But he does two and a half hours plus, almost three hours, of 30-35 songs each show. The songs are structured differently and he's not running from pillar to post across the stage, either. His drummer is 40ish compared to 73 though, and his guitar players are "only" in their late 50's, as is the keyboard player. Consequently, with the Stones, you are now only going to get 18-20 songs due to their ages and they're all going to seem familiar. I doubt they'll ever please everyone, so they got to please themselves.

Moreover looking at the latest picture of the four of them on the IORR home page, they just.look.tired. Two of them have all white hair now, and if the other two didn't color their hair I'd bet they'd all be white or gray. Then there's the paunches. Isn't one of them a great-grandfather now? The public needs to let them go. Let them rest. They deserve it. They've been "The Rolling Stones" long enough.

I think people WATCHING YOUTUBE get tired of listening to the same songs over and over on their computers winking smiley

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1495
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home