Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: June 1, 2014 22:45

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-02 00:01 by Max'sKansasCity.

Re: Mick's year just keeps getting worse - hit by massive mansion tax
Posted by: blivet ()
Date: June 1, 2014 22:52

triceratops
Straycat13
dcba
Straycat13

"]Choose to hope. Climb up out of the debris of your life, flap your bony wings, and announce to the world that you've entered a new day. God has programmed you to hope, to overcome, and to win!"

I suspect Mick is a fierce atheist! smoking smiley

I don't. I suspect he believes in God. Otherwise, he wouldn't be searching in India and in his world travels.

Off and on one reads about him in Asia meditating in addition to just plain traveling. It seems like he does it on and of. If he was dedicated-committed to it we would have heard. So I would put him in the "God camp"... a believer even if sporadic.

Around the time Some Girls came out an interviewer asked him point blank if he believed in God. Mick replied. "Yes, all my life."

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: June 1, 2014 23:56

Gazza
proudmary
Gazza
proudmary
Friends fear for grieving Mick Jagger
[www.express.co.uk]

"confided the friend"

= Tabloid-speak for "we're making this bollocks up to fill a page"

the fact is,unfortunately, that the tabloids are alive and thriving precisely because they are able to gather information and do not hesitate to publish it. their style is repugnant but they often hit the mark.

And they often dont hit it or (more commonly) they exaggerate it for dramatic effect.

He'd be absolutely abnormal and inhuman if he wasnt depressed in some way after an ordeal like that.

So, in that context, its a non-story.

Overdramatising the extent of it and justifying it with unsubstantiated and anonymous quotes though is standard tabloid behaviour because they cant be sued for stuff like that nor (due to the anonymity of the 'source') can it be disproven.

Your earlier comment about 'a grain of truth' in these stories is fair enough. How big that 'grain' is though and how much of it gets mixed in with utter fiction is another issue.

Exactamundo. I used to have a friend who worked for the National Enquirer during college vacations, and the stories he told of how they manufactured stories while staying just on the right side of the libel line were equal parts scary and hilarious. There's no denying those writers had amazing imaginations.

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: June 2, 2014 00:13

blivet

Around the time Some Girls came out an interviewer asked him point blank if he believed in God. Mick replied. "Yes, all my life."

thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: June 2, 2014 00:17

Taxile on Main Street.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: June 2, 2014 00:33

Most of the story is old news. He is on tour now, not just facing the death. Later, in between tour legs or afterwards,
his feelings may surface differently, whether we know about any of that or not

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 2, 2014 00:54

proudmary
Gazza
proudmary
Gazza
proudmary
Friends fear for grieving Mick Jagger
[www.express.co.uk]

"confided the friend"

= Tabloid-speak for "we're making this bollocks up to fill a page"

the fact is,unfortunately, that the tabloids are alive and thriving precisely because they are able to gather information and do not hesitate to publish it. their style is repugnant but they often hit the mark.

And they often dont hit it or (more commonly) they exaggerate it for dramatic effect.

He'd be absolutely abnormal and inhuman if he wasnt depressed in some way after an ordeal like that.

So, in that context, its a non-story.

Overdramatising the extent of it and justifying it with unsubstantiated and anonymous quotes though is standard tabloid behaviour because they cant be sued for stuff like that nor (due to the anonymity of the 'source') can it be disproven.

Your earlier comment about 'a grain of truth' in these stories is fair enough. How big that 'grain' is though and how much of it gets mixed in with utter fiction is another issue.

I'm not sure what I prefer - over dramatization or hushing up. Many fans here think that Jagger has no other worries except to plot against Taylor

Hushing up. Every time.

I'd prefer it if they didnt write about his (or anyone's) private life at all unless it was absolutely necessary and in the public interest. If he wants to keep his personal life private, thats his right. We dont have a right to know anything.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 2, 2014 00:59

Straycat13
dcba
Straycat13

"]Choose to hope. Climb up out of the debris of your life, flap your bony wings, and announce to the world that you've entered a new day. God has programmed you to hope, to overcome, and to win!"

I don't. I suspect he believes in God. Otherwise, he wouldn't be searching in India and in his world travels.

Hang on, Mick's searching for god in his world travels?

I thought he was on tour?!

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: June 2, 2014 01:09

treaclefingers
Straycat13
dcba
Straycat13

From a 2007 interview in the Independent:
"Like most English people I’m not a great believer. I’ve read Richard Dawkins’ book and it’s very
persuasive. I’m more in awe of the universe and that’s not really a belief in God… Killing for ideas
is the most dangerous form of killing at all… dying for an idea, like in religion, is absurd."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-02 01:10 by swiss.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: June 2, 2014 03:42

swiss

... dying for an idea, like in religion, is absurd.

I believe some ideas are worth dying for. Like the idea that one should have the freedom to speak out against the government if one disagrees with it.

Thankfully, my forefathers felt the same way.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: June 2, 2014 03:56

"Many fans here think that Jagger has no other worries except to plot against Taylor" Gazza that is an astute comment.... Like you I don't care about his personal life, he's got many layers and it's not my sport to peel them off... He's got the money or will get the money, has plenty of kids, wives and extorters I'm sure.

Date: June 2, 2014 03:59

DoomandGloom
"Many fans here think that Jagger has no other worries except to plot against Taylor" Gazza that is an astute comment.... Like you I don't care about his personal life, he's got many layers and it's not my sport to peel them off... He's got the money or will get the money, has plenty of kids, wives and extorters I'm sure.

Thanks, but that was Proudmary's quote. Not mine. :-)

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: June 2, 2014 04:01

Gazza
DoomandGloom

Thanks, but that was Proudmary's quote. Not mine. :-)
well you're cool too. peace baby!

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: June 2, 2014 05:32

If I were Mick, I would say to the tax man...how much money would you collect and how many jobs would not exist if I don't tour?

Zero and Zero.

So let's start there...as much as these guys take home..do you know how much revenue,jobs and taxes these guys create on tour between gas, tolls, hotels, restaurants, parking, concessions, merchandise, plane tickets, etc...

These guys on a 3 month tour probably generate more economy than half of the recognized nations in this world.

If I were Mick, I would ask the governments...how much are you going to pay me to tour your country?

Hey...It's Only Rock N Roll...but it's grown up...and that's the way it is...

In the 1960's...they tried to banish the Stones...now every country wants a Stones tour...

Pecman

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: June 2, 2014 05:52

swiss
treaclefingers
Straycat13
dcba
Straycat13

From a 2007 interview in the Independent:
"Like most English people I’m not a great believer. I’ve read Richard Dawkins’ book and it’s very
persuasive. I’m more in awe of the universe and that’s not really a belief in God… Killing for ideas
is the most dangerous form of killing at all… dying for an idea, like in religion, is absurd."

Interesting. I guess he was just pulling the interviewer's leg in the interview I mentioned reading above.

Posted by: Stoner72 ()
Date: June 2, 2014 08:02

I'm not too worried. And neither should Mick.

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: June 2, 2014 08:12

To answer the questions/statements above: That was 2007. I wonder how RD thinks the universe came into being and how it continues to expand.

This is 2014. If MJ was "a fierce atheist", he might want to re-think mentioning Psalm 23 and Amazing Grace on his website.

The reason people fight over beliefs, as MJ mentioned, is because we're in the middle of a spiritual war. It's Good vs evil.

When I said he seeks out the truth in his world travels, it's because I have seen pics of the Stones with the Maharishi dude, read about the satanic guy who tried to influence him, pics in India w/ L'Wren all dressed in white going into the Hindu temples, and travels to Peru, etc. He wrote a song called, "Joy". He's been seeking. Seek and you shall find.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: June 2, 2014 11:18

I find it totally impossible to have the tiniest bit of sympathy when the fabulously wealthy have another tax loohole closed!

Get this straight... these people are avoiding tax by living in houses that are owned by companies that are set up with the sole aim of avoiding paying tax.

How many registered users of IORR have basic incomes in the millions of dollars per year, and then live (rent/mortgage free) in the sort of house that all of us can only dream about.

I don't begrudge them their earnings, nor their assets, but their tax policies drive me crazy!

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: June 2, 2014 14:20

Pecman
If I were Mick, I would say to the tax man...how much money would you collect and how many jobs would not exist if I don't tour?

Zero and Zero.

So let's start there...as much as these guys take home..do you know how much revenue,jobs and taxes these guys create on tour between gas, tolls, hotels, restaurants, parking, concessions, merchandise, plane tickets, etc...

These guys on a 3 month tour probably generate more economy than half of the recognized nations in this world.

If I were Mick, I would ask the governments...how much are you going to pay me to tour your country?

In the 1960's...they tried to banish the Stones...now every country wants a Stones tour...

Pecman

By that yardstick, the royal family shouldnt pay taxes either. Or any major entertainer or entrepreneur. Good luck convincing the public with that argument.

Should be the same rules for everyone. The Stones pay almost no income tax at all due to their complex offshore investments. Which considering they have a collective worth of about a billion dollars, is pretty ridiculous.

Date: June 2, 2014 14:22

Gazza
Pecman

Zero and Zero.

Pecman

By that yardstick, the royal family shouldnt pay taxes either. Or any major entertainer or entrepreneur. Good luck convincing the public with that argument.

Should be the same rules for everyone. The Stones pay almost no income tax at all due to their complex offshore investments. Which considering they have a collective worth of about a billion dollars, is pretty ridiculous.

Hmm, politics... Although I agree wholeheartedly smiling smiley

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: June 2, 2014 15:13

DandelionPowderman
Gazza
Pecman

Zero and Zero.

Pecman

You can add me too. Around the World the super-rich seem to view tax as voluntary when to me they are duty bound to put something back into the same society that made them rich in the 1st place. Such people have many means of 'offshoring' themselves, means not readily available to the commom man and woman. It's immoral.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 2, 2014 15:18

grzegorz67
DandelionPowderman
Gazza
Pecman

Zero and Zero.

Pecman

You can add me too. Around the World the super-rich seem to view tax as voluntary when to me they are duty bound to put something back into the same society that made them rich in the 1st place. Such people have many means of 'off-shoring' themselves, means not readily available to the common man and woman. It's immoral.

Good reason to live in Florida. I'm on a project in California and these folks tax Everything!!!!

Re: .
Posted by: CBII ()
Date: June 2, 2014 15:42

With me not being very versed in British tax law I can only use USA Tax law as a gauge. Here, a business property can be depreciated overtime which means the property can actually be used as a tax write off whereas a personal home cannot. The UK has apparently figured out very wealthy people had been listing homes as a business property and figured it was time to address it.

It's one of those loop holes that can easily be fixed, put the property in the individuals name instead of a business.

CBII

Re: Mick Jagger - hit by massive mansion tax
Posted by: firebird ()
Date: June 2, 2014 16:33

Don't you think you make this thing bigger than it is?

Total for Great Britain was 210 million pounds, i guess there are thousands of these houses owned by companys which means Micks share of it is relativly small, nothing he would worry about longer than a couple of minutes.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 2, 2014 16:42

--

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-02 16:44 by ryanpow.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: June 2, 2014 17:30

i think its only fair that rich people have to pay a lot of taxes. So, i dont have , or want to pity Jagger. he has got money to burn, and does not need our tears on this matter.

Jeroen

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: June 2, 2014 23:19

Pecman

Zero and Zero.

Pecman

Living in S. Calif., I've had film business friends say, "I'll see you in a few months. I'll be shooting a film in [some other state or country]" I've said, "Oh, you need a certain backdrop for some scenes?" "No, we'd shoot the whole film in California but for the taxes."

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 2, 2014 23:46

I know it's only dollar bills, but I like it, like it, yes I do....

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: June 3, 2014 01:47

latebloomer
I know it's only dollar bills, but I like it, like it, yes I do....

smileys with beer

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: June 3, 2014 01:58

Ummm, Pound Coins actually as we are talking about the BRITISH Government. The Law change was anounced over a year ago so it really isn't news...

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1992
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home