Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314Next
Current Page: 10 of 14
Re: Why no Mick Taylor in final bow?
Date: May 31, 2014 22:21

Powerage
Apparently, not introduced by Jagger in Lisbon. Strange. sad smiley

Is that true? He is always introduced like this "thank you, Mick Taylor".

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 31, 2014 22:43

Chacal
DoomandGloom
When MJ asked me to do something I did it without question, always. He has earned that respect and loyalty by producing the greatest rock music. I love Taylor but I don't think he shows that respect and that's maybe the issue.

Unless you were once a member of the Rolling Stones, the two situations can just not be compared at all.
Are you saying that MJ can only deal with yes-men ? Taylor might have his own opinion, but that's only to be expected after the significant contribution he made to the band's music.

Besides: does Taylor not deserve to be treated with respect ? Maybe that is exactly what's been lacking.
Back in the 60's early 70's bands hired guys and made them members as a matter of course, eventually that changed and players like Wood and Warren Haynes had to make themselves invaluable to get the nod. Still the "member" status comes with conditions and thus they are "members" with conditions. Taylor was and is brilliant with his guitar but he is not in the special class of Jagger who sits up there with Elvis, Lennon, Macca and Keef. I've been around great famous people and when Mick or Yoko or Miles or Dylan was around they got special respect, you see it from Chuck, Ronnie, Bobby and the rest of the players. Taylor not so much, he pushes Mick's buttons and challenges him in MR, directs Keith in CYHMK. Great as he is he is not their contemporary, we may think it's great music but they don't like it, Clapton arguably the biggest guitar legend of all always approaches the RS stage with courtesy.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 31, 2014 22:46

Chacal
andrewt
Ah, the good old days. I was at this show and can tell you the crowd went ballistic for this. Looks like MJ was quite pleased with it too at the end.

[video]

Were you at the second Staples Center (20 May 2013) gig as well ?
The applause after CYHMK nearly blew the roof off.

In both cases it was clearly more than '200 to 500 max at each show' (estimate from Dreamer, see above) that had been waiting for a loooong time to hear a song from the 'El Dorado era' performed properly.

No I wasn't there. My two hometown Toronto shows cost me enough. I'm sure it must have been quite intense to have been there, when it first happened.

Although as far as most of the crowd in T.O was concerned it was a mind blowing surprise as well. The were actually waves of applause during the solo after certain passages. People were captivated and listening.

Date: May 31, 2014 23:00

andrewt
Chacal
andrewt
Ah, the good old days. I was at this show and can tell you the crowd went ballistic for this. Looks like MJ was quite pleased with it too at the end.

[video]

In both cases it was clearly more than '200 to 500 max at each show' (estimate from Dreamer, see above) that had been waiting for a loooong time to hear a song from the 'El Dorado era' performed properly.

No I wasn't there. My two hometown Toronto shows cost me enough. I'm sure it must have been quite intense to have been there, when it first happened.

Although as far as most of the crowd in T.O was concerned it was a mind blowing surprise as well. The were actually waves of applause during the solo after certain passages. People were captivated and listening.
I wish I was there but have enjoyed the UTUBE and shared it with many people. It's just great to see someone watch it for the first time. I recall taking home Yes "Fragile" as a kid and going wow.... This was sort of the same, first time for me in maybe 30 years that I was amazed and entertained in that way. People here are pissed they're getting shortchanged on that, sort of an entitlement issue but it's heartfelt.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: May 31, 2014 23:09

DoomandGloom
I wish I was there but have enjoyed the UTUBE and shared it with many people. It's just great to see someone watch it for the first time. I recall taking home Yes "Fragile" as a kid and going wow.... This was sort of the same, first time for me in maybe 30 years that I was amazed and entertained in that way. People here are pissed they're getting shortchanged on that, sort of an entitlement issue but it's heartfelt.

Yeah, and that's all there is to it. You may think Taylor's not a very nice guy (although he's always seemed perfectly genial to me) or that he pushes Mick and Keith too much for their liking, but ultimately this is a question of the band they are versus the hypothetical band that they could be were he restored full-time. Lots of us here have been trying and failing to separate the Stones as a band from the Stones as a business organisation. The way in which Taylor is used is fundamental to that, which is why the subject dominates this board - even amongst people who aren't Taylorites. With him on stage permanently it would, indubitably, be about the music once again.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: May 31, 2014 23:44

bv
Nine - 9 - pages of speculations about "the final four" bow! Say when was Darryl Jones in the final bow. This is a quiz. I do remember it. Once. A great moment, but guests are still guests. May be Bobby Keys should be in the finan 4+ bow? At least he has been with them since I was in kindergarten (well almost).

With all respect, he *was* in the final bow for most previous shows, now he's not. You even made it the home page pic for a while and it was great to see. People are just curious as to why this has changed.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 31, 2014 23:49

Well according to the band they were at their best during the Mick Taylor era thanks to one mr Mick Taylor. He is of course way more important than Bobby Keys.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 31, 2014 23:55

bleedingman
bv
Nine - 9 - pages of speculations about "the final four" bow! Say when was Darryl Jones in the final bow. This is a quiz. I do remember it. Once. A great moment, but guests are still guests. May be Bobby Keys should be in the finan 4+ bow? At least he has been with them since I was in kindergarten (well almost).

With all respect, he *was* in the final bow for most previous shows, now he's not. You even made it the home page pic for a while and it was great to see. People are just curious as to why this has changed.

Sure, but may be they just did it to signal the fact to fans that he will NOT be on 10 or 15 songs, just a guest on Rambler, Satisfaction and may be one more if it happens. Just to make it clear I mean.

Bjornulf

Date: May 31, 2014 23:56

Stoneburst
DoomandGloom

Yeah, and that's all there is to it. You may think Taylor's not a very nice guy (although he's always seemed perfectly genial to me) or that he pushes Mick and Keith too much for their liking, but ultimately this is a question of the band they are versus the hypothetical band that they could be were he restored full-time. Lots of us here have been trying and failing to separate the Stones as a band from the Stones as a business organisation. The way in which Taylor is used is fundamental to that, which is why the subject dominates this board - even amongst people who aren't Taylorites. With him on stage permanently it would, indubitably, be about the music once again.
It was talked about in 1978 when I first saw them, years later it came up often when I was around their crew, you didn't have to ask and got the whole story, different from everyone but a hot topic even in the mid 80's... The Glimmers feel they could have had most any guitarist in the world after Brian. They gave the ultimate job to him, he left when they were struggling, searching for new sounds giving him ample opportunity to contribute. Taylor could not handle the drugs and pressure, shattered his guitars, looking something like the character in "The Wall." In 2013 they brought him back and instead of being the subdued bluesman we all expected he danced around the stage dressed like Capt. Kangaroo. Jagger and co. had to expect a more professional presentation as well. He is still really great more times than any guitarist on stage now even with one song a night. That's the wonderful part but they are amused by him and see him as weak for the way he hit bottom. These are after all very strong people, it's hard to keep pace with them but they are kind in their own way. People don't necessarily get fired just punished, in this way the music business is much, much nicer than the film business which is really viscous.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-01 00:00 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: June 1, 2014 00:01

the final bow doesn't bother me that much but was does bother me is the lack of songs taylor plays per show its almost like he is being wasted, give him 8-10 songs a show whats the problem with that?

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: June 1, 2014 00:03

melillo
the final bow doesn't bother me that much but was does bother me is the lack of songs taylor plays per show its almost like he is being wasted, give him 8-10 songs a show whats the problem with that?

Christ this is seriously starting to get annoying now. STOP REPEATING YOURSELVES.

Date: June 1, 2014 00:04

sorry I didn't read all ten pages there bastion take a chill pill dude

Date: June 1, 2014 00:07

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-01 00:12 by Bastion.

Date: June 1, 2014 00:09

I said nothing about the setlist next time read carefully before you post

Date: June 1, 2014 00:12

True, I apologise.

What I meant is for the Taylor complainers to stop repeating themselves. We get it. You want more Taylor.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: June 1, 2014 00:13

...Taylor's not in the band. He's a guest....what's so difficult to understand about that?

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: June 1, 2014 00:14

bv
Say when was Darryl Jones in the final bow. This is a quiz. I do remember it. Once.

Second Rotterdam show in 1995?

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: June 1, 2014 00:19

This thread reads like "2 + 2 = 147" . . .

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: June 1, 2014 00:25

triceratops
DiamondDog7

I think some of us expected that MT would be used the right way on the RIGHT songs during this tour. We've accepted him as a special guest. Fine by us. But we as REAL Stones-fans know that MT played a crucial role on Sway, CYHMK, TWFNO, Ventilator Blues etc etc. NOT on acoustic guitar on Satisfaction. I think it bothers us the most... MT not playing the right songs and the ammount of songs. It doesn't have to be the whole concert. But a little bit more than 2 songs.

Agreed! I was surprised when it did not turn out this way. By now its a farce. Why even bother taking him along? Just give MT a payment for past songwriting he did not get credit on and be done with it.

Because the crowd in the cities they're visiting haven't seen him yet. They're not watching YouTube clips and reading set lists. It's the same tour still.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 1, 2014 00:59

erikjjf
bv
Say when was Darryl Jones in the final bow. This is a quiz. I do remember it. Once.

Second Rotterdam show in 1995?

I think thats right. Definitely was a tour finale that I was at.

Posted by: champ72 ()
Date: June 1, 2014 01:01

TeddyB1018
triceratops
DiamondDog7

I think some of us expected that MT would be used the right way on the RIGHT songs during this tour. We've accepted him as a special guest. Fine by us. But we as REAL Stones-fans know that MT played a crucial role on Sway, CYHMK, TWFNO, Ventilator Blues etc etc. NOT on acoustic guitar on Satisfaction. I think it bothers us the most... MT not playing the right songs and the ammount of songs. It doesn't have to be the whole concert. But a little bit more than 2 songs.

Agreed! I was surprised when it did not turn out this way. By now its a farce. Why even bother taking him along? Just give MT a payment for past songwriting he did not get credit on and be done with it.

Because the crowd in the cities they're visiting haven't seen him yet. They're not watching YouTube clips and reading set lists. It's the same tour still.

Well I live in Sydney. I spent $1100 for 2 tickets or whatever it was.
I have seen the Stones 5 times before, not much compared to some I guess.
But the reason I parted with so much cash this time around was to see Mick Taylor playing with the Stones. I am trying to set my expectations low, so that I don't expect anything more than MR. Satisfaction doesn't count.
CYHMK would be a dream come true, but with only 1 show in Sydney, that's not going to happen. So I will enjoy MR.
He'd better still be on the part of the tour, or I will be gutted.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 1, 2014 01:04

<<Stones started as anti-establishment, then became it. A hierarchical rock monopoly.>>

Whatever they represented to media and fans, in terms of image, right from the start and all through their careers they have always been a part of... show business.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: June 1, 2014 01:14

Forget about the final bow. Wanna have some fun? Watch this. I love the atmosphere on stage, CYHMN starts a bit odd, maybe Taylor's guitar is out of tune in the beginning, then Taylor acts like Jagger..Taylor's sound is excellent. No expectations is brilliant.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: June 1, 2014 01:24

Has there ever been a "Why No Chuck in Final Bow" thread? Don't recall seeing one.winking smiley

Posted by: Chacal ()
Date: June 1, 2014 01:30

bleedingman
Chacal

They all seem happy with this:

As Chuck Leavell would say: 'quite a cool jam'. eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Chacal ()
Date: June 1, 2014 01:45

bleedingman
Has there ever been a "Why No Chuck in Final Bow" thread? Don't recall seeing one.winking smiley

That would be pointless.
Everyone knows there are no wickedly grinning beards allowed in the final bow.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: June 1, 2014 02:43

Chacal
bleedingman
Chacal

They all seem happy with this:

As Chuck Leavell would say: 'quite a cool jam'. eye rolling smiley

It still boggles my mind how they can't find a spot in the setlist for that occasionally, if not every, night.

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: June 1, 2014 03:09

Taylor was a member for only about five years even if they were the bands best.

Posted by: muffie ()
Date: June 1, 2014 03:54

How about a 'More Mick Taylor Pls' message being held up by a number of ppl at the front of numerous shows campaign? Ensure the TV crew sees it and broadcasts it on the concert screen. Could be a way to get the point across.

For me, if are no further live examples of CYHMY, Sway, ST, TTNG, LIV, TWFNO then I'll be seeking a refund from my Aussie concert.

Saw the '4 stones' back in 1995 when even then they were a pale imitation of their '72/'73 heyday. Pretty disgusting to know they've amassed a fortune touring since '89 in that subpar form. Maybe they think that the amount of $$ obtained means they've been musically great? Hardly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-01 04:05 by muffie.

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: June 1, 2014 06:01

I just read the first and last page, since I can't believe there is so much speculation.

50 and Counting was a different tour celebrating the history of the Stones. 14 on Fire is a new tour. Mick T. is their guest, and I'm glad they kept him on.

It would confuse people to have him in the final bow. Even Daryl isn't in the final bow. Maybe the Stones didn't work that all out during the 1st leg of the tour in Asia, but it makes sense to me and it seems right. Mick is a former member of the Stones.

I hope he continues playing with them, because so many people love him and appreciate his great contribution. I hope there aren't any hurt feelings going on and I hope he feels that he is wanted on the tour. I know Keith has a strong personality and has a habit of feeling threatened and acting out, and Ronnie loves everybody.

Harmony, guys! Please keep it together.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314Next
Current Page: 10 of 14

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1766
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home