Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314Next
Current Page: 9 of 14
Re: Why no Mick Taylor in final bow?
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 31, 2014 12:41

DoomandGloom

Here's the best evidence for Taylor playing in the band. Last night Keith and Ronnie both played the same part trading Chuck licks, neither one holding down the song.

You might have a point but look at the implications of your comment :
the band needs MT to strengthen the live sound -----> the Stones have never been better with Taylor -----> the 1975-2007 "Ron Wood" years have been years of mediocrity

Obviously that's not sth Jagger's willing to accept, hence the one-song slot offered to MT.
Whether we like it or not "Live With Me" will be played the way it's been played since 94-95, that is with Keef and Ron. If you want MT on it listen to GYYO.

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: May 31, 2014 14:16

DandelionPowderman
DiamondDog7
stonehearted

What is it about the concept of "special guest" that so many here don't seem to understand?

I think some of us expected that MT would be used the right way on the RIGHT songs during this tour. We've accepted him as a special guest. Fine by us. But we as REAL Stones-fans know that MT played a crucial role on Sway, CYHMK, TWFNO, Ventilator Blues etc etc. NOT on acoustic guitar on Satisfaction. I think it bothers us the most... MT not playing the right songs and the ammount of songs. It doesn't have to be the whole concert. But a little bit more than 2 songs.

For many fans (who's "real" anyway?) MR w Taylor on Brussels is the holy grail. Why should he play on Ventilator Blues instead, a song he's not playing a lot on?

Sway and CYHMK are cool, but the band needs to rehearse those songs more, imo.

IMO, it would have been cool having Taylor on the newer songs as well - OOC, for instance.

This

For me its not neccesarily about bringing back the 70s, its abut exploring the possiblities of the 3 guitar approach, everytime its been done the band in general sounded better, played better, more dynamic, more light ans shade, more depth. ie the band steps up a notch, the band improves and it gets exciting

its not about the old songs, its about seeing and hearing the above
(and no, inaudible ac on satisfaction doesnt apply, slipin away does tho)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-31 14:17 by Captainchaos.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 31, 2014 14:32

Dreamer
surprise,surprise! smiling smiley I like that one! Yeah, but it's still a fun thing...

It's the WHY and the HOW that people are mixing up sometimes.
This is an interesting thesis about the how. Concepts fly around in that process so you can imagine someone came up with the idea to have them join as a suprise guest and others came up with the idea to do that on every show...that evolved into what it's happening now I guess.
Born out of a good and nice idea.
At the same time there is a why (the need) because maybe some problems elsewhere created that question. So the how and the why meet. That's where creativity and business meet. The guy who's steering this is someone who always comes with a solution. He's doing a great job handling calculated risks and anticipating uncalculated risks. With the intention of producing a great tour. With just a few left unhappy. And they can feel used and I understand that...
But again: when you sign the deal you deliver. Even if you just signed because you need the cash. And you know they take it away out there with huge promotion and stuff: shake things up...that's how it works and you know that. That business can be fun man...RW is having fun for years and years even when he wasn't a full member. He never complained but had fun. So it's an attitude thing as well. There's the business, the music, the attitude. He doesn't like the business but makes a deal with them because he needs the cash. We talk about his attitude and his music is, oops spoiler alert, not as legendary good on all songs he plays as people like us to believe... Above all it's not what the audience is used to for decades so it's a smart move to limit him to MR and one or two other songs.
And he knew that before he signed...

Would that guy me one Mick J. ?

Lost of good posts here and it seems we've looked at it from all possible angles now. The bottom line is that every fan's "dream" of seeing Taylor play on more songs that once seemed possible after he was involved in the LA rehearsals, got a third song at Echoplex and even four at LA/3, and got involved again in the Paris 2014 rehearsals with "new" songs from his era, ST and TTNG, is gone. Instead with the recent events it seems the best we can hope for is that he'll stay on board with his two songs, well one really.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 31, 2014 14:36

I wonder if the average Stones tourist even know if he's on? He isn't even properly introduced. With the limited spot he is given he doesn't make a difference. Whether he's on or not doesn't matter.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: May 31, 2014 15:14

gotdablouse
Dreamer
surprise,surprise! smiling smiley I like that one! Yeah, but it's still a fun thing...

It's the WHY and the HOW that people are mixing up sometimes.
This is an interesting thesis about the how. Concepts fly around in that process so you can imagine someone came up with the idea to have them join as a suprise guest and others came up with the idea to do that on every show...that evolved into what it's happening now I guess.
Born out of a good and nice idea.
At the same time there is a why (the need) because maybe some problems elsewhere created that question. So the how and the why meet. That's where creativity and business meet. The guy who's steering this is someone who always comes with a solution. He's doing a great job handling calculated risks and anticipating uncalculated risks. With the intention of producing a great tour. With just a few left unhappy. And they can feel used and I understand that...
But again: when you sign the deal you deliver. Even if you just signed because you need the cash. And you know they take it away out there with huge promotion and stuff: shake things up...that's how it works and you know that. That business can be fun man...RW is having fun for years and years even when he wasn't a full member. He never complained but had fun. So it's an attitude thing as well. There's the business, the music, the attitude. He doesn't like the business but makes a deal with them because he needs the cash. We talk about his attitude and his music is, oops spoiler alert, not as legendary good on all songs he plays as people like us to believe... Above all it's not what the audience is used to for decades so it's a smart move to limit him to MR and one or two other songs.
And he knew that before he signed...

Would that guy me one Mick J. ?

Lost of good posts here and it seems we've looked at it from all possible angles now. The bottom line is that every fan's "dream" of seeing Taylor play on more songs that once seemed possible after he was involved in the LA rehearsals, got a third song at Echoplex and even four at LA/3, and got involved again in the Paris 2014 rehearsals with "new" songs from his era, ST and TTNG, is gone. Instead with the recent events it seems the best we can hope for is that he'll stay on board with his two songs, well one really.

Would that guy me one Mick J. ? Surprise, surprise!

Yeah...lots of angles and good posts. But 'every fan's dream' well...I'd say 200 to 500 max at each show. I know it's not the numbers that are most important to those 350 fans (us at IORR) but from the point of view of creating a production for an average public it is.
It's good as it is with him on stage on MR and one or two other songs. We have to deal with that.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: May 31, 2014 15:28

Stoneage
I wonder if the average Stones tourist even know if he's on? He isn't even properly introduced. With the limited spot he is given he doesn't make a difference. Whether he's on or not doesn't matter.

Reminds of a couple of comments I saw on YouTube for the Glastonbury performance, went something along the lines of:

"Wow, The Stones were on fire! Sucks how they have to bring out a session guitarist for the harder stuff though"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-31 15:28 by Bastion.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: May 31, 2014 15:36

Stoneburst
stonehearted
What is it about the concept of "special guest" that so many here don't seem to understand?

We understand the concept perfectly well. We just don't accept that a former member of the band, one of the greatest guitarists of all time, a key ingredient in the finest albums and live shows ever recorded and performed by anyone, should be limited to 'special guest' status.

It's cheap, it involves a strong element of ritualistic humiliation (as Bill Wyman saw), and it demonstrates a total lack of interest in the music on Jagger/Richards' part.

The PTB (powers that be) in the Stones are humiliating-punishing MickT. They did it to Bill Wyman who complained...I kinda see a pattern here. We can see Bill Wyman treatment was not a one off.

This also extends to the hard core fans who by 90% want to see more MickT. The Stones PTB are doing a passive-aggressive tease number on us. Ritualistic as you put it. All three parties (MT, BillW, the fans)get spanked because of X or Y or Z no one knows.....! The PTB don't know! They just do via the lizard brain.

I am not a shrink. I just play one on the internetdrinking smileydrinking smileyspinning smiley sticking its tongue outhot smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-31 15:39 by triceratops.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 31, 2014 15:54

triceratops

The PTB (powers that be) in the Stones are humiliating-punishing MickT. They did it to Bill Wyman who complained...I kinda see a pattern here. We can see Bill Wyman treatment was not a one off.

The PTB would reply "The Stones are like the boat in "Apoclaypse Now". You don't get off of the boat, never! If you do, you know you can't jumb back into it"

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 31, 2014 16:01

triceratops
Stoneburst
stonehearted

We understand the concept perfectly well. We just don't accept that a former member of the band, one of the greatest guitarists of all time, a key ingredient in the finest albums and live shows ever recorded and performed by anyone, should be limited to 'special guest' status.

It's cheap, it involves a strong element of ritualistic humiliation (as Bill Wyman saw), and it demonstrates a total lack of interest in the music on Jagger/Richards' part.

This also extends to the hard core fans who by 90% want to see more MickT. The Stones PTB are doing a passive-aggressive tease number on us. Ritualistic as you put it. All three parties get spanked because of X or Y or Z no one knows.....!

I am not a shrink. I just play one on the internetdrinking smiley
Mick sees him as a loose cannon on stage ready to toss little bits of sabotage into the show in quiet response to his treatment. Witness the insane electric Satisfaction or Shanghai's feedback solo. They are a little afraid of what he might do, justified or not this is what I see. If the universe has any justice The Stones will need Taylor at some point of this tour and he'll have his night. In the end I don't feel sad for Taylor as I don't think he's a very nice guy or has done all he can to play the game and get more stage time but the music is suffering without him, how he sits during ADTL and plays on Slipping Away melodrama trash is an historic outrage.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 31, 2014 16:03

Bastion
Stoneage

Reminds of a couple of comments I saw on YouTube for the Glastonbury performance, went something along the lines of:

"Wow, The Stones were on fire! Sucks how they have to bring out a session guitarist for the harder stuff though"

Youtube comments. The ultimate yardstick for credibility or more likely a good testing ground for the theory that we are surrounded by a sub-species of utter f**kwits.

Date: May 31, 2014 16:05

dcba
DoomandGloom

Here's the best evidence for Taylor playing in the band. Last night Keith and Ronnie both played the same part trading Chuck licks, neither one holding down the song.

You might have a point but look at the implications of your comment :
the band needs MT to strengthen the live sound -----> the Stones have never been better with Taylor -----> the 1975-2007 "Ron Wood" years have been years of mediocrity

Obviously that's not sth Jagger's willing to accept, hence the one-song slot offered to MT.
Whether we like it or not "Live With Me" will be played the way it's been played since 94-95, that is with Keef and Ron. If you want MT on it listen to GYYO.
It would just be admitting they're older and Keith has already broke that ice, The shouldn't perform LWM, trying to play much more than the warhorses results in sub par performances like this one. The first verse is proof they struggle without Chuck hammering the roots.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-31 16:06 by DoomandGloom.

Date: May 31, 2014 16:11

<90 percent of the hardcore fans want to see more of Mick Taylor>

I'm a hardcore fan, and I want to see more of Mick Taylor. But those numbers are silly. There are Ronnie fans, Keith fans and Brian fans among the hardcores, too.

The Brian fans might love today's SFTD, for instance, since it's closer to what they consider the best version. Keith fans might want to hear BS without Taylor's slide etc.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 31, 2014 16:36

DandelionPowderman

The Brian fans might love today's SFTD, for instance, since it's closer to what they consider the best version.

Er, no.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: May 31, 2014 16:59

Gazza

Youtube comments. The ultimate yardstick for credibility or more likely a good testing ground for the theory that we are surrounded by a sub-species of utter f**kwits.

hahahahahahasmileys with beerhot smileydrinking smileydrinking smileydrinking smiley

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: May 31, 2014 17:04

DoomandGloom
Mick sees him as a loose cannon on stage ready to toss little bits of sabotage into the show in quiet response to his treatment. Witness the insane electric Satisfaction or Shanghai's feedback solo. They are a little afraid of what he might do, justified or not this is what I see. If the universe has any justice The Stones will need Taylor at some point of this tour and he'll have his night. In the end I don't feel sad for Taylor as I don't think he's a very nice guy or has done all he can to play the game and get more stage time but the music is suffering without him, how he sits during ADTL and plays on Slipping Away melodrama trash is an historic outrage.

See also the LA Knocking: Ronnie and Keith have massive grins on their faces during Taylor's solo, while Jagger frantically tries everything to make him stop playing. This is what I find most depressing about Jagger and the whole situation. All the other guys on that stage look to me like old friends playing music together and having fun - and that's the way it should be. Jagger is a businessman onstage and off it.

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: May 31, 2014 17:15

alimente
I can't recall SadDayBadDay's posts, but sometime ago I posted some thoughts on this "Taylor-game" that were quickly deleted which made me believe that they were either too ridiculous or too close to the truth!

Bianca once called the Stones organisation the "Nazi State"
Unfortunately IORR seems to have also adopted their policy on free speech.

Date: May 31, 2014 17:24

MarkSchneider
Chuck Leavell's factor

(Chuck Leavell's as a musical manager)

[www.rollingstone.com]
By Patrick Doyle November 26, 2012

To prepare for the Stones' blistering 23-song set in London, Leavell acted as musical director during the Paris rehearsals, sifting through their rich 400-plus song catalog while fielding suggestions from Jagger and the rest of the band. "I can't remember the last time Charlie Watts or Ronnie Wood have come up and offered [set list] suggestions," he says. "Mick and I talked about it on several occasions, really, in the early stages of the rehearsals, and I made up varied lists. I make up a list every day of what I think the band should be rehearsing, and then I also had a separate list that is songs that we have yet to try to play that I think may have merit. We have tried to look very hard at all of the various eras of the band's career and tried as best as possible to represent those eras. Fifty years is a long time, man!"
For fans heading to future shows, looking at last night's set list may provide some spoilers. "The bottom line is that, only having a limited number of shows, obviously we're not gonna go crazy with swapping around songs in the set list," says Leavell. "In other words, we don't want to go too too deep at this juncture."...

On RELIX type "chuck leavell" or
[www.relix.com]
Here is an excerpt regarding guests and MT
Chuck Leavell Talks Stones Tour
by Mike Greenhaus on April 10, 2013
"...
Guest Stars
It’s been great to have [former Stones] Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor, and guests like Mary J. Blige, Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, Florence Welch, Gary Clark Jr. and my good pal John Mayer onboard this run. Of course, the fans that have followed the band through its entire career, or most of it, were really excited to see Bill and Mick onstage. Bill and I stayed in touch through the years after he left, and so, on a personal level, it was wonderful for me. Mick is also much loved by the fans for his time with the band. He brought a lot to the table in those years and brought it with him to the stage for these shows. It was tough to only have them play a song or two, but we also wanted to accommodate the other guest artists – and, of course, to play as the core band we have now. Eric was a highlight for me as I played with him for two-and-a-half years. He (Eric Clapton) killed it on “Champagne and Reefer.” Mick doing “Midnight Rambler” made for a cool jam. Since I have been working with John Mayer over the past two years, he was my suggestion – and I’m so glad he could make it.
..."

"made a cool jam"... This says a lot...

MT, dangerous for conservative Chuck Leavell's controlled planet?

WHO PUT HIM IN CHARGE?!?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 31, 2014 17:28

vertigojoe
MarkSchneider
Chuck Leavell's factor

[www.rollingstone.com]

To prepare for the Stones' blistering 23-song set in London, Leavell acted as musical director during the Paris rehearsals, sifting through their rich 400-plus song catalog while fielding suggestions from Jagger and the rest of the band. "I can't remember the last time Charlie Watts or Ronnie Wood have come up and offered [set list] suggestions," he says. "Mick and I talked about it on several occasions, really, in the early stages of the rehearsals, and I made up varied lists. I make up a list every day of what I think the band should be rehearsing, and then I also had a separate list that is songs that we have yet to try to play that I think may have merit. We have tried to look very hard at all of the various eras of the band's career and tried as best as possible to represent those eras. Fifty years is a long time, man!"
For fans heading to future shows, looking at last night's set list may provide some spoilers. "The bottom line is that, only having a limited number of shows, obviously we're not gonna go crazy with swapping around songs in the set list," says Leavell. "In other words, we don't want to go too too deep at this juncture."...

[www.relix.com]
"...
Guest Stars
It’s been great to have [former Stones] Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor, and guests like Mary J. Blige, Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, Florence Welch, Gary Clark Jr. and my good pal John Mayer onboard this run. Of course, the fans that have followed the band through its entire career, or most of it, were really excited to see Bill and Mick onstage. Bill and I stayed in touch through the years after he left, and so, on a personal level, it was wonderful for me. Mick is also much loved by the fans for his time with the band. He brought a lot to the table in those years and brought it with him to the stage for these shows. It was tough to only have them play a song or two, but we also wanted to accommodate the other guest artists – and, of course, to play as the core band we have now. Eric was a highlight for me as I played with him for two-and-a-half years. He (Eric Clapton) killed it on “Champagne and Reefer.” Mick doing “Midnight Rambler” made for a cool jam. Since I have been working with John Mayer over the past two years, he was my suggestion – and I’m so glad he could make it.
..."

WHO PUT HIM IN CHARGE?!?

Mick Jagger. He came highly referred by Ian Stewart.

Date: May 31, 2014 17:41

treaclefingers
vertigojoe
MarkSchneider
Chuck Leavell's factor

[www.rollingstone.com]

[www.relix.com]
"...
Guest Stars
..."

WHO PUT HIM IN CHARGE?!?

Mick Jagger. He came highly referred by Ian Stewart.

Yes. And Alex Ferguson recommended David Moyes. With similar results...

Date: May 31, 2014 19:41

Stoneburst
DoomandGloom

See also the LA Knocking: Ronnie and Keith have massive grins on their faces during Taylor's solo, while Jagger frantically tries everything to make him stop playing. This is what I find most depressing about Jagger and the whole situation. All the other guys on that stage look to me like old friends playing music together and having fun - and that's the way it should be. Jagger is a businessman onstage and off it.
That moment was in my minds eye as well but I didn't mention it. It is painful to admit that the most significant moment I can recall as a Stones fan, seeing Taylor once again improvise, driving a two dimensional concert into the stratosphere, was met with distain as I see it by both Mick and Keith. The more they continue on as they have the last two shows, struggling through LVM and SMU the more I relate to "Kleery." If they're going to ignore Taylor and play great, that's cool but don't suck and leave him sitting. It is ridiculous to blame Chuck but I have no doubt he's given the job of telling Taylor when he plays, he's musical director for just these occasions. I know enough about The Stones world to say it's utterly impossible for Jagger to relate bad news to musicians, impossible. If Jagger were excited about Taylor, Chuck's quote would follow than line instead. When MJ asked me to do something I did it without question, always. He has earned that respect and loyalty by producing the greatest rock music. I love Taylor but I don't think he shows that respect and that's maybe the issue.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-31 19:56 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 31, 2014 20:17

Chuck doesn't tell anyone what to do and the Stones concerts are not 2 dimensional.

Posted by: Chacal ()
Date: May 31, 2014 20:34

DoomandGloom
When MJ asked me to do something I did it without question, always. He has earned that respect and loyalty by producing the greatest rock music. I love Taylor but I don't think he shows that respect and that's maybe the issue.

Unless you were once a member of the Rolling Stones, the two situations can just not be compared at all.
Are you saying that MJ can only deal with yes-men ? Taylor might have his own opinion, but that's only to be expected after the significant contribution he made to the band's music.

Besides: does Taylor not deserve to be treated with respect ? Maybe that is exactly what's been lacking.

Posted by: Powerage ()
Date: May 31, 2014 20:38

Apparently, not introduced by Jagger in Lisbon. Strange. sad smiley

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 31, 2014 20:40

MHR,there's music and lights, and then there's soul. I think that's what Doom was implying.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-31 20:43 by andrewt.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 31, 2014 20:44

Dreamer
Would that guy me one Mick J. ? Surprise, surprise!

Somehow I have a sense that it's not him you were referring to as he's the obvious reply. Could it not be a certain AD instead?

@DoomandGloom - thanks for the insight, no surprise that everyone in the entourage, including the three others, will do their best to help make things "smooth" for Mick given the weight he's carrying...which might not be a good thing in terms of "creativity" at the end of the day. For instance Don Was and his engineer did push back a couple of times on the songs he offered them for "Grrrr" though and they got "D&G" out of him, one of the "best" (as in memorable) tracks this side of, well...

Back to Taylor, I can see how he could be a "problem" for Mick, the unresolved "business differences" of course (hopefully they leave that to the lawyers but there must be some concern) and the fact that he can be "off the wall" on stage. At the same time I'm sure he likes what he adds there. As far back as in the RS Wenner interview in 1995 he admitted that the Taylor years were his preferred years from an artistic/musical standpoint.

By the way I looked up the videos of the 2012/2013 shows and Taylor did indeed play the solo at the end after they pick up the pace originally. At O2/1 Ronnie tells him to go ahead with it and at LA/1 it's...Ronnie who takes it upon himself to start soloing and Taylor seems to say, "ok, go ahead then"...didn't look planned. Ronnie's played it ever since and he gets a really good tone on it too.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-31 23:19 by gotdablouse.

Date: May 31, 2014 20:50

Gotdablouse: 'AD' ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-31 20:50 by Chacal.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 31, 2014 20:59

Ah, the good old days. I was at this show and can tell you the crowd went ballistic for this. Looks like MJ was quite pleased with it too at the end.

Date: May 31, 2014 21:26

andrewt
Ah, the good old days. I was at this show and can tell you the crowd went ballistic for this. Looks like MJ was quite pleased with it too at the end.

[video]

Were you at the second Staples Center (20 May 2013) gig as well ?
The applause after CYHMK nearly blew the roof off.

In both cases it was clearly more than '200 to 500 max at each show' (estimate from Dreamer, see above) that had been waiting for a loooong time to hear a song from the 'El Dorado era' performed properly.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-31 21:28 by Chacal.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: May 31, 2014 22:08

Chacal
andrewt

[video]

Were you at the second Staples Center (20 May 2013) gig as well ?
The applause after CYHMK nearly blew the roof off.

In both cases it was clearly more than '200 to 500 max at each show' (estimate from Dreamer, see above) that had been waiting for a loooong time to hear a song from the 'El Dorado era' performed properly.

They all seem happy with this:

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 31, 2014 22:21

Nine - 9 - pages of speculations about "the final four" bow! Say when was Darryl Jones in the final bow. This is a quiz. I do remember it. Once. A great moment, but guests are still guests. May be Bobby Keys should be in the finan 4+ bow? At least he has been with them since I was in kindergarten (well almost).

Bjornulf

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314Next
Current Page: 9 of 14

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1906
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home