Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Marquee "debut gig" photos - possible actual dates.
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: July 14, 2017 01:52

His Majesty
CaptainCorella

On the discussion of Charlie possibly having played (jammed?) with them prior to Jan 12th 1963, I'm reminded of The Beatles parallel.

It's well recorded that Ringo did play with The Beatles before the summer of 1962 - at which point Pete Best was sacked and Ringo invited in.

This in many ways does beg the question of how to find out how/why The Stones were so keen to get hold of Charlie. How did they know, other than by having him sit in, if in fact he'd be 'right' for the spot?

Quite. thumbs up

Mick and Brian (and possibly Keith) had played with Charlie when he was with Blues Incorporated.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 14, 2017 01:54

Deltics

Mick and Brian (and possibly Keith) had played with Charlie when he was with Blues Incorporated.

Yup, so why not as a stand for stones in along with the many others who did so.

Date: July 14, 2017 02:13

His Majesty
Deltics

Yup, so why not as a stand for stones in along with the many others who did so.

Well we don't know, it's pure speculation.
We can only deal with what we know.
The Stones also shared a bill with Blues By Six, Charlie's previous band on a few occasions.

Advert for the Marquee.

Date: July 14, 2017 02:19

Yeah, just typing out loud, throwing shit out there. grinning smiley

I think it's likely he did play with them as a stand in, but going back to the photos, I reckon they date from when both Bill and Charlie had joined.

Date: July 14, 2017 02:22

His Majesty
Yeah, just typing out loud, throwing shit out there. grinning smiley

I think it's likely he did play with them as a stand in, but going back to the photos, I reckon they date from when both Bill and Charlie had joined.

I think we can agree on that! thumbs up

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: July 14, 2017 09:38

His Majesty
The Rolling Stones Gear book helps calrify matters with regards to the supposed photos of the stones debut at the Marquee club. Always a bit dubious that they are from that debut gig imo.

Brian's Harmony Stratotone guitar was bought in October 1962, this obviously means the July 1962 photos are not from July 1962 at all as Brian is shown playing his Harmony Stratotone.

In those supposed debut gig photos Keith is shown playing his Gallotone Valencia. Keith bought his Harmony Meteor guitar on or after 25th January 1963 so we can say the photos cannot date from before 25th January 1963.

This gives us a window of October 1962 - January 1963.

Another interesting addition in thos marquee photos is that a blonde Vox AC30 is shown. Bill owned one and donated it to the cause after he rehearsed with them.

Given the combination of the guitars in use in those photos it is most likley that the photos date from October 1962 and before 25th January 1963. The use of the blonde Vox AC30 suggests it may date from when Bill first started playing with them circa December 1962.

Going by Bill's Stone Alone book gig list, they played the Marquee on 10th, 17th and 24th January 1963.

So I think any of those 3 Marquee dates is when those supposed debut gig photos come from.

If we ignore the blonde Vox AC30 amp then the earliest those photos could date from is their appearance at Marquee in October 1962.

smileys with beer

Based on what evidence did you mention that Brian's Harmony Stratotone was bought in October 1962?

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: July 14, 2017 11:19

[/quote]

Well we don't know, it's pure speculation.
We can only deal with what we know.
The Stones also shared a bill with Blues By Six, Charlie's previous band on a few occasions.

Advert for the Marquee.[/quote]

This must be January 7th 1963, they still wrote Rollin' Stones no "g" added, at least The Marguee did. Not much later Charlie joined the Stones. Don't know right now the exact date.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-14 11:19 by Christiaan.

Date: July 14, 2017 14:52

georgie48

Based on what evidence did you mention that Brian's Harmony Stratotone was bought in October 1962?

In Rolling Stones Gear, info from an interview with Brian's friend Dick Hattrell, who bought the guitar for him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-14 16:47 by His Majesty.

Date: July 14, 2017 15:28

Christiaan

Advert for the Marquee.

This must be January 7th 1963, they still wrote Rollin' Stones no "g" added, at least The Marguee did. Not much later Charlie joined the Stones. Don't know right now the exact date.

Yes, 1963, the Stones didn't exist in January 1962!

This is the last Rollin' Stones advert that I have. It was placed in the Melody Maker by Giorgio Gomelsky for a gig at the Crawdaddy in June 1963.

Date: July 14, 2017 16:23

ok. whn did the Stones use the last time "Rollin'Stones"?

Date: July 14, 2017 16:29

Christiaan

Like I said, the advert is the last one I have as the Rollin' Stones, they released their first single in June and were Rolling from then on!

Date: July 17, 2017 10:55

His Majesty
georgie48

In Rolling Stones Gear, info from an interview with Brian's friend Dick Hattrell, who bought the guitar for him.

Thanks for the info. Did you read the 2007 "The Gardian" interview in which is stated that Dick Hattrall bought that guitar way back in 1959? Some strange "fact": Hattrell suposingly was "the Stones first manager" ?!?!? He gave the guitar to Brian before Brian was an actual Rolling Stone. Pat Andrews (I spoke to her in person in 1999) apparently remembered Brian already playing that guitar in his Cheltenham days before perminently moving to London.
The Wilson story is indeed what Wilson confirmed over the phone to me also way back in 1999 (he was living in Italiƫ at the time). He was at that time already looking for a buyer. I received perfect photos from him and a written and signed statement about it's originality. It is all documented in a 1999 fanzine. Indeed Eric Easton took all the old gear after the Stones were sponsored with new gear through VOX via posing for an advertisement. Easton pleased some personal friends with the old gear. All in all, I find it hard to support the statement that Brian received the Harmony Stratotone as late as October 1962.

Date: July 17, 2017 13:11

Deltics
Christiaan

Like I said, the advert is the last one I have as the Rollin' Stones, they released their first single in June and were Rolling from then on!

If I remember correctly, the "g" was (commercially) added in connection with the release of their first single "Come on". At that time Giorgio Gomelski was already "dumped" as "manager" in favour of Andrew Oldham.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 17, 2017 14:50

Christiaan
This must be January 7th 1963, they still wrote Rollin' Stones no "g" added, at least The Marguee did.

Marquee thumbs up

Date: July 17, 2017 23:53

Koen
Christiaan
This must be January 7th 1963, they still wrote Rollin' Stones no "g" added, at least The Marguee did.

Marquee thumbs up

HAHAHA stupid mistake.......

Posted by: Brett ()
Date: July 18, 2017 23:07

The July 7, 1962 copy of Disc calls them Mick Jagger and the Rolling Stones in an short blurb about them to play at the Marquee on July 12 under the heading Korner Cancels.

Posted by: Brett ()
Date: July 18, 2017 23:13

The July 11, 1962 Jazz News also twice calls them Mick Jagger and The Rolling Stones.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: July 19, 2017 08:47

Brett
The July 7, 1962 copy of Disc calls them Mick Jagger and the Rolling Stones in an short blurb about them to play at the Marquee on July 12 under the heading Korner Cancels.

[www.udiscovermusic.com]

[myalbum.com]

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: July 19, 2017 12:00

They were still being billed as "Mick Jagger and The Rolling Stones" in the Marquee ads in Jazz News as late as January 9, 1963.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-19 12:41 by Deltics.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1901
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home