Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Rolling Stones 1981Tour vs. 1982
Posted by: FanOfGRARBITW ()
Date: May 18, 2014 18:29

Here's something that might make a good discussion topic if anyone's interested...

I saw the Stones in 1981. Between seeing them and seeing and hearing videos and bootlegs, I think the 1981 tour was pretty damn good. I recall reading some posts here a long time ago where some folks who'd had the privilege of seeing them in 81 and also in 82 in Europe. I would think that the European shows would be very similar to the American 81 shows, but those folks I mentioned talked like 1982 was very different in some ways from 81. Someone said something like the Stones were a different band by the time they hit Europe. Any thoughts from those who saw both tours?

"Gonna find my way to heaven because I did my time in hell"
- Dan -
Fan of The Greatest Rock and Roll Band in The World

Re: Rolling Stones 1981Tour vs. 1982
Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: May 18, 2014 22:56

The 81 tour was just smoking saw them 3 times in the USA.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 18, 2014 22:59

babyblue
The 81 tour was just smoking saw them 3 times in the USA.

Did you happen to catch the Hampton show?

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: May 18, 2014 23:58

I saw three gigs in Germany in '82. The last show series of the genuine Rolling Stones. They were in good shape, great guitar work, and the interpretations of the songs changed again and again. Keith and Ronnie were active in creating new riffs and licks. The negative aspect of this creativity was the inequal quality of the shows. But that is Rock'n Roll. I like that more than the Vegas or musical character since '89.

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: May 19, 2014 01:09

Like RobertJohnson I saw three gigs in Germany ´82. At that time I already had the complete Hampton `81 concert on tape and tried to compare the gigs I attended with what I knew from Hampton.

I always had the impression that they were sloppier in Europe. But to be honest they started sloppy in the USA too and in Hampton they were at their peak. So the biggest surprise of all archive releases was Leeds 82 to me. We never had a really great boot from 1982 like Hampton and what I hear from that gig is the first time since 1982 that I really love a gig from that tour.

The biggest difference was the change of the saxplayer. Ernie Watts gave them a unique musical/lyrical touch on the US tour. A smooth touch. In a way the sound got a lyrical touch on some moments they had with Mick Taylor before (no discussion winking smiley)
Gene Barge from the sixties avantgard Chicago blues scene has a total different style. Less melodic, more free jazzy or whatever. That made Leeds sound freshier/punkier/sloppier huwever you call it.

The change of the keyboarder hadn`t that influence (well not on THIS tour..).

By the way we had the impression that Ronnie didn`t look that good in 1982. Too many drugs?

And I`m so happy that I could see them in 1982.

Tom

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 19, 2014 01:41

The Rich Stadium 81 show was awful. Probably the worst of the 56 Stones shows that I have seen.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 19, 2014 01:46

I wish they released Leeds 82 on a regular dvd (and cd). Ernie Watts is a favourite of mine but Gene Barge is really good too.
To be able to judge whether 81 or 82 was better I guess you would have to been able to attend several concerts both in 81 and 82. How many did that?

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 19, 2014 02:27

Mick's voice is much better on Leeds, and seemed to be better in general for most of the 82 tour. I think he got over his coke cold.

Posted by: FanOfGRARBITW ()
Date: May 19, 2014 02:46

Thanks to everyone who's given some feedback here....thumbs up

"Gonna find my way to heaven because I did my time in hell"
- Dan -
Fan of The Greatest Rock and Roll Band in The World

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: May 19, 2014 09:44

I'd also like to point out that there are quite acouple of subtle differences between the german gigs, the Gothenburg shows and the ones in the Southern part of Europé visavi Leeds. Leeds sounds like a unique show style and sound-wise on more than a couple of songs. In Gothenburg for instance, Keiths still playes the same licks during Neighbours as he did from Cedar Falls and onwards. In Leeds he has changed the approach completely.

Same thing for UMT, US and most of Europe a honking locomotive ramblin on, in Leeds it's a Mach III jetfighter.

Date: May 19, 2014 10:48

electricmud
Like RobertJohnson I saw three gigs in Germany ´82. At that time I already had the complete Hampton `81 concert on tape and tried to compare the gigs I attended with what I knew from Hampton.

I always had the impression that they were sloppier in Europe. But to be honest they started sloppy in the USA too and in Hampton they were at their peak. So the biggest surprise of all archive releases was Leeds 82 to me. We never had a really great boot from 1982 like Hampton and what I hear from that gig is the first time since 1982 that I really love a gig from that tour.

The biggest difference was the change of the saxplayer. Ernie Watts gave them a unique musical/lyrical touch on the US tour. A smooth touch. In a way the sound got a lyrical touch on some moments they had with Mick Taylor before (no discussion winking smiley)
Gene Barge from the sixties avantgard Chicago blues scene has a total different style. Less melodic, more free jazzy or whatever. That made Leeds sound freshier/punkier/sloppier huwever you call it.

The change of the keyboarder hadn`t that influence (well not on THIS tour..).

By the way we had the impression that Ronnie didn`t look that good in 1982. Too many drugs?

And I`m so happy that I could see them in 1982.

Tom

Yes, the last time I was satisfied with Chuck Leavell. He used to play piano in the background with some interesting melody lines on Angie or Beast of Burden, but he wasn't yet that orgy plink plonk man nowadays who's getting on my nerves permanently ..

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 19, 2014 11:46

RobertJohnson
I saw three gigs in Germany in '82. The last show series of the genuine Rolling Stones. They were in good shape, great guitar work, and the interpretations of the songs changed again and again. Keith and Ronnie were active in creating new riffs and licks. The negative aspect of this creativity was the inequal quality of the shows. But that is Rock'n Roll. I like that more than the Vegas or musical character since '89.

smileys with beerthumbs up

Date: May 19, 2014 12:35

RobertJohnson
Yes, the last time I was satisfied with Chuck Leavell. He used to play piano in the background with some interesting melody lines on Angie or Beast of Burden, but he wasn't yet that orgy plink plonk man nowadays who's getting on my nerves permanently ..

Well if you`re satisfied with the piano that was Ian Stewart!! (sure you know..) To be correct: on grandpiano. They carried that thing around (not to forget to keep a grandpiano in tune at open air venues..).
The difference to later tours: Chuck was only on Hammond B3 and keys if I remember correct. So there are moments were the Hammond B3 is more present then in 1981 which I like.

Tom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-19 14:04 by electricmud.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: May 19, 2014 13:39

The Stones' sound on the 82' tour was very down to earth. I am so happy that I was able to see them!

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: May 19, 2014 15:24

RobertJohnson

I can confirm that because I saw the concert at Munich, 10 June 1982, and it was great! We had good seats, and the performance was flawless. Next day they played again for 78,000 people but it kept raining heavily during their show so according to my brother they had some problems for which they weren't responsible.

Date: May 19, 2014 17:27

electricmud
RobertJohnson

Well if you`re satisfied with the piano that was Ian Stewart!! (sure you know..) To be correct: on grandpiano. They carried that thing around (not to forget to keep a grandpiano in tune at open air venues..).
The difference to later tours: Chuck was only on Hammond B3 and keys if I remember correct. So there are moments were the Hammond B3 is more present then in 1981 which I like.

Tom

To be correct: Chuck Leavell on additional keyboards, yes, you're right. But, in fact, I think that he added some interesting melody lines to Beast of Burden and Angie. It doesn't sound like Stew. And I heard it only on the European leg of the 81/82 tour.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 21, 2014 22:19

Ive been into the Leeds 82 show latley, gotta say though I still prefer Hampton 81. It has a different feeling, better set list and Ernie Watts.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: May 21, 2014 22:40

I was there and thought it was good, Journey sucked!

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: May 21, 2014 22:43

Journey was/is/always will be dreadful. Ruined Philly shows. What possessed them to choose that awful "band"!?

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 21, 2014 22:46

I like Journey. they're from a different generation than the stones, more pop sounding.

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: May 21, 2014 22:51

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: May 22, 2014 07:05

Journey might have been from a younger era but they still sucked. J.Geils was great in Seattle though and basically blew the Stones off their own stage. Other backup bands to Stones shows that were awful... Eddie Money, and I forget the rest lol. Can't imagine Stevie Wonder really wowed them in the 70's either far as that go's? The Stones loved all that Motown Stax crap but that didn't say the audiance loved it too. They wanted rocknroll!!!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 22, 2014 07:14

The Stones loved all that Motown Stax crap

ROCKMAN

Date: May 22, 2014 12:56

The Stones wanted to have a popular support act at that time I think. I remember reports that it wasn`t easy for the Stones during the tour cause Journey had a number 1 album at the time...I thought wow who else then the Stones could go on tour with an actual number 1 act as support!

Tom

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 22, 2014 13:08

They had Prince (L.A.) Iggy Pop, Van Halen (Orlando). Care to add more names?

Date: May 22, 2014 13:35

doba
They had Prince (L.A.) Iggy Pop, Van Halen (Orlando). Care to add more names?

Yes I know all the support acts they had on that tour. Just remembered reports from that time that it wasn`t easy to have the actual number 1 in album charts as a support act. At the time Journey seemed to be a very popular band in the US.

Tom

Posted by: mrfancyman ()
Date: May 22, 2014 14:07

FanOfGRARBITW
Here's something that might make a good discussion topic if anyone's interested...

I saw the Stones in 1981. Between seeing them and seeing and hearing videos and bootlegs, I think the 1981 tour was pretty damn good. I recall reading some posts here a long time ago where some folks who'd had the privilege of seeing them in 81 and also in 82 in Europe. I would think that the European shows would be very similar to the American 81 shows, but those folks I mentioned talked like 1982 was very different in some ways from 81. Someone said something like the Stones were a different band by the time they hit Europe. Any thoughts from those who saw both tours?

1982 was a bit different because that tour was the first time that Chuck joined the band....... ;-)

Mr.Fancyman

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: May 22, 2014 14:29

Philly shows were huge

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: May 22, 2014 20:49

black n blue
I was there and thought it was good, Journey sucked!

If I remember it was fairly windy day also. George Througood (sp) also was on the Bill

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2225
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home