Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: Anybody else here think that Rolling Stones and rock music in general is childish?
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 17, 2014 17:41

....depends whether ya wanna be bored or gored

ROCKMAN

Re: Anybody else here think that Rolling Stones and rock music in general is childish?
Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: May 17, 2014 17:51

Don't feed the troll.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 17, 2014 18:08

jazzbass
Don't feed the troll.

Well....well that is uncalled for !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-17 18:15 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: May 17, 2014 18:27

Date: May 17, 2014 18:36

but when you're young and rebellious and only know 3 chords

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 17, 2014 18:39

Childish is not the right word. Adolescent, maybe. Hence the screaming teenage girls and the, sometimes, juvenile lyrics.
But classic rock and roll is turning 60 now (counting from Hailey, Berry and others). Almost a senior citizen...

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: May 17, 2014 18:58

What we now call "classical music" is the rock'n'roll of past centuries and many of the composers did not act that much different to "modern" music creators like the Stones...wine, women and song.

HM posted that "Childlike wonder is one of the most precious things in life", of course, but while I also think that "it is a good thing to keep as much of the inner child intact as possible through adulthood until the day you die" I must add that I have seen simply too many people, including and in particular musicians, musicians NOT as rich and wealthy as the Stones, burning their lives to understand this as a refusal to grow up.

Date: May 17, 2014 19:04

hip-tellectual

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 17, 2014 19:15

"On Paper" the stones music is simple. There is something special going on there that makes it more. Maybe its the blues influence. If you like music its important not to just limit yourself to rock N roll though.

Also, Ive always thought there is something adult in the Stone's music.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-17 19:20 by ryanpow.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 17, 2014 19:27

Erik_Snow
paulywaul
I'm absorbing the delicious sounds coming off those guitars - especially when the whole band is on the boil.

Which has never happened since 1978, my friend
Anyway you are right, Rolling Stones' music has nothing to do with intelligence, it's music for monkeys or people in "crowds" (people in crowds do not act as they would if being by themselves; whether it's a demonstration or a rock concert, you know that the crowd is going to act "as a crowd" only)

...and this was my point to begin with, so thanks for agreeing

Oh I see. I don't consider myself a sheep, or of the sheeple, that are in the 'crowd' of The Rolling Stones. Nor am I a monkey. In fact, I'm a flea bit peanut monkey and all my friends are junkies. Wait. What? Well, like, you know, that's not really true.

So you've diverted to being a music snob. Cool. Go rock some harp then ya string plucker!

Date: May 17, 2014 19:38

Let's make love !

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-17 19:42 by Erik_Snow.

Date: May 17, 2014 19:49

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-17 19:54 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: May 17, 2014 20:00

michaelsavage
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Wake up Mike! Nap time is over, time for your milk and cookies...

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: May 17, 2014 20:04

Rock & Roll and the British Blues were a youth culture at the time. The music you listened to at young age somehowe will have its place no matter all the new music you will be listening to. I think that the ST follow the great Rock And Bluesmen by keep playing no matter the age. People go to St-Concerts to have a good time to become one with the beat and forget daily life. It's all about a few cords and the beat that makes us move and the joy to feel as a child. What a great invention the electric guitar.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-17 21:51 by runaway.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 17, 2014 20:10

alimente
What we now call "classical music" is the rock'n'roll of past centuries and many of the composers did not act that much different to "modern" music creators like the Stones...wine, women and song.

HM posted that "Childlike wonder is one of the most precious things in life", of course, but while I also think that "it is a good thing to keep as much of the inner child intact as possible through adulthood until the day you die" I must add that I have seen simply too many people, including and in particular musicians, musicians NOT as rich and wealthy as the Stones, burning their lives to understand this as a refusal to grow up.

Indeed, one still needs to learn from the many lessons life throws at you.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: May 17, 2014 20:13

2000 LYFH
michaelsavage

No! Don't wake him up, it's peaceful while he's asleep.
We can even talk about the Beatles while he's driving out the zeds!

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: May 17, 2014 20:19

"I love rock n' roll
So put another dime in the jukebox, baby
I love rock n' roll
So come an' take your time an' dance with me"

.....says it all, doesn't it?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 17, 2014 20:29

Sighunt
"I love rock n' roll
So put another dime in the jukebox, baby
I love rock n' roll
So come an' take your time an' dance with me"

.....says it all, doesn't it?

No. smiling smiley

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: May 17, 2014 20:29

Everyone knows that Jagger/Richards are not composers in the same league as Mozart/Beethoven/Bach, but they have written dozens of great songs
in lots of different genres that people enjoy in all kinds of situations - from weddings to funerals. As songwriters they are very mature and real.
As live entertainers, few on this planet can beat them.

You can say what you want, but the opening riff of Satisfaction (from the original recording) is as monumental as Mt. Everest.
I don't give a fcuk if some musical "genius" can play 574 notes per second.
(THAT's childish IMO.) Keith Richards bangs out a total of only five notes over two bars that captures the attention of millions of people immediately.
That's not childish, that's mean and powerful. And that’s just ONE riff. If you want to hear some musical brilliance out of this world,
listen to Mick Taylor play the solo on Gimme Shelter from Wembley Arena 1973. That’s pure magic.

Date: May 17, 2014 20:34

The Worst.
Everyone knows that Jagger/Richards are not composers in the same league as Mozart/Beethoven/Bach, but they have written dozens of great songs
in lots of different genres that people enjoy in all kinds of situations - from weddings to funerals. As songwriters they are very mature and real.

You can say what you want, but the opening riff of Satisfaction (from the original recording) is as monumental as Mt. Everest.
(THAT's childish IMO.) Keith Richards bangs out a total of only five notes over two bars that captures the attention of millions of people immediately.
That's not childish, that's mean and powerful. And that’s just ONE riff. If you want to hear some musical brilliance out of this world,
listen to Mick Taylor play the solo on Gimme Shelter from Wembley Arena 1973. That’s pure magic.

Right on! BTW who are the "few that can beat them"smoking smiley

Posted by: FanOfGRARBITW ()
Date: May 17, 2014 20:34

The Worst.

listen to Mick Taylor play the solo on Gimme Shelter from Wembley Arena 1973. That’s pure magic.[/quot

Bravo! Couldn't have said it better myself smileys with beer

"Gonna find my way to heaven because I did my time in hell"
- Dan -
Fan of The Greatest Rock and Roll Band in The World

Date: May 17, 2014 21:23

Of course rock 'n roll is childish! But, that's exactly the point of it! And, it keeps you forever young! Mick Jagger and the Stones being the perfect example of this!

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: May 17, 2014 21:32

I wouldn't say childish...I grew up listening to classical and baroque music and started playing the violin at
20 and in orchestras, string ensembles, quartets, etc, so "classical music" was part of my "childish" days.
But I also started listening to rock consciously at age 4---and have been in rock bands.

Music gets me off, makes me happy to be alive--listening to it, playing it, singing, dancing, thinking about
it--to me, stimulating all different parts of being a human--heart, soul, body, spirit, mind.

Are the Stones [I agree w/you: discounting 30+ years that didn't resonate as much for me] more raw and emotional
and than polished and intellectual? Sure! However, for me, listening to Stones' music has certainly proven
intellectual stimulating---their sounds and groove and rhythms acting sort of like muses, catalyzing thinking and
epiphanies.

Classicial music is (using a broad brush) a celebration of perfection and beauty. Great rock music is a
celebration of that which is rogue, unexpected, scofflaw, imperfect. Is that childish? I'm too close to too
many things --and people-- that resonate with me in that way and make me blissfully grateful to be alive ever
to say Yes.

- swiss

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-17 21:38 by swiss.

Posted by: Stones62 ()
Date: May 17, 2014 21:33

I love rock and roll, classical music and just about everything in between. Music in general just makes me feel good and so I never thought of it in childish terms. A good performance of Stones song can knock me out just as much as a Mozart string quartet. I love listening to music, I love playing it. From the simplist three chord rock song to complex finger picking arangements. It's good for the my soul.

Date: May 17, 2014 21:37

I find classical music to be boring and depressing. I steer clear of it.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 17, 2014 21:49

ThickerThanThieves
I find classical music to be boring and depressing. I steer clear of it.

No worries mate-

Date: May 17, 2014 21:51

I've often wondered to myself if this is childish! and I keep coming to the same conclusionsmoking smiley

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: May 17, 2014 22:09

Classical music is definitely not all from the neck up! I weep profusely at tragic operas.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: May 17, 2014 22:13

2000 LYFH
michaelsavage

Don't wake him up ffs, he'll bore the pants off us suggesting that the spiritual home of the RS is MSG. Let him sleep, the peace is blissful !

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: May 17, 2014 22:27

When I first heard Elvis singing Heartbreak Hotel and Treat Me Nice, the music didn't strike me as "childish" but expressed dimensions of soul, passion, sexuality, angst, and certainly an air of menace. I think we all liked this music (and using a song like Satisfaction as an example), as we could relate to it and it offered a musical expression of what many felt and/or could relate to growing up.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1479
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home