Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8
Re: Keith's Homophobia
Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 16, 2014 23:20

Regarding the actual thread, I'd be surprised if I found out that KR has ANY phobias...

Peace,
Mr DJA

Keith is deathly afraid of cheese.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: May 16, 2014 23:20

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 16, 2014 23:24

Well I wonder if Keith does have a phobia about the size of Jagger's member... I am not a Freudian, but his comments did raise an eyebrow (no glitter).

Date: May 16, 2014 23:26

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 16, 2014 23:27

He's right about one thing, though - political correctness is the new orthodoxy - depart from it at your peril.
But Keith's homophobia? You have got to be kidding (but alas, you aren't). He just hasn't bothered to update his vocabulary since 1960, when homosexuality was a crime as well as a "sin", and nobody felt any need to be polite about it. He's a much more tolerant person than some of us here (and I don't necessarily mean the preachers).

Posted by: U2Stonesfan ()
Date: May 16, 2014 23:29

Nobody said anything about condemning them, I said it should not be glorified, and here is another opinion teletubby you sound like a punk, and I don't give a shit about your tent. My point has been proven. YOU CAN'T HAVE A OPINION ANYMORE without the PC police trying to tear you down.

Date: May 16, 2014 23:37

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: May 16, 2014 23:38

latebloomer
Regarding the actual thread, I'd be surprised if I found out that KR has ANY phobias...

Peace,
Mr DJA

Keith is deathly afraid of cheese.

I knew he didn't like cheese but didn't realize he had a fear of cheese. I wonder if there's a "No farting on Keith's side of the stage" clause in the contracts.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 16, 2014 23:39

U2Stonesfan
Nobody said anything about condemning them, I said it should not be glorified, and here is another opinion teletubby you sound like a punk, and I don't give a shit about your tent. My point has been proven. YOU CAN'T HAVE A OPINION ANYMORE without the PC police trying to tear you down.

Have all the opinions you want. There is a difference between having an opinion (which we all do) and using the Bible to justify bigotry (which you did). Nothing I said about posting your religious views on this site was "PC". You are one who continues to call being gay "a perversion". If you want that to stand as your opinion, great. We are all very clear where you stand.

Posted by: FanOfGRARBITW ()
Date: May 16, 2014 23:41

71Tele
FanOfGRARBITW
I don't think Keith is homophobic at all. Having been an avid fan and observer for 50 years, I've gathered that Keith likes to use all kinds of slang and I think he finds it cool or funny. He doesn't come across like he means it. You can't take a lot of what he says literally. Just my opinion from what I've seen and heard over the years. I think if Keith were asked if he has something against gays, he would say, "Hey, whatever floats you're boat." He had nothing against Billy Preston back in the seventies and Billy was gay.

Yes, he did. he showed Billy the blade when he played too loud. Keith is the only one allowed to play too loud.

LOL - Being pissed at somebody for playing too loud has nothing to do with what one thinks of the other's sexuality. Keith and Ronnie allegedly pulled guns on one another once when they were having an argument. Oh! Now I get it; that means Keith and Ronnie are BOTH gay. I'm seeing the light

"Gonna find my way to heaven because I did my time in hell"
- Dan -
Fan of The Greatest Rock and Roll Band in The World

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 16, 2014 23:41

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-17 11:31 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: May 16, 2014 23:42

71Tele
U2Stonesfan

Have all the opinions you want. There is a difference between having an opinion (which we all do) and using the Bible to justify bigotry (which you did). Nothing I said about posting your religious views on this site was "PC". You are one who continues to call being gay "a perversion". If you want that to stand as your opinion, great. We are all very clear where you stand.

thumbs up

His Majesty
Rollin' Stoner

drinking smiley

LMFAO!!! grinning smiley

Date: May 16, 2014 23:44

U2Stonesfan

Don't denigrate yourself by stooping to anger over your opinion not being accepted or thought of as a truth. Again, the problem is using an opinion to legitimize oppression. Opinions are not grounded in critical thinking, and often used by a dominant social group to legitimize their control over others. While it can be frustrating, the PC police are a legitimate tool used by people in society who feel uncomfortable seeing opinions being used as a tool of oppression and increasingly will call people out on that. Go back to the science, and if you still grapple with it, understand that if you try to use your opinion instead of critical thinking there will be people who will call you out on that.

Date: May 16, 2014 23:48

Rollingstoner, you are hilarious! I am laughing my ass off looking at your various posts. Thanks! Much needed!

Date: May 16, 2014 23:51

whitem8
U2Stonesfan

Don't denigrate yourself by stooping to anger over your opinion not being accepted or thought of as a truth. Again, the problem is using an opinion to legitimize oppression. Opinions are not grounded in critical thinking, and often used by a dominant social group to legitimize their control over others. While it can be frustrating, the PC police are a legitimate tool used by people in society who feel uncomfortable seeing opinions being used as a tool of oppression and increasingly will call people out on that. Go back to the science, and if you still grapple with it, understand that if you try to use your opinion instead of critical thinking there will be people who will call you out on that.

It is a OPINION what critical thinking is...

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 16, 2014 23:52

I think I probably do need to say goodbye to this thread round about now, before I get Seriously Offended.

But it's all right - you're still allowed to offend Christians to your heart's content. See - we have our uses. How many other groups can you still offend without somebody setting the PC police on you?

Bye bye.

Date: May 16, 2014 23:53

Lighten Thy Burden

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-16 23:59 by Rollin' Stoner.

Date: May 16, 2014 23:54

Green Lady
I think I probably do need to say goodbye to this thread round about now, before I get Seriously Offended.

But it's all right - you're still allowed to offend Christians to your heart's content. See - we have our uses. How many other groups can you still offend without somebody setting the PC police on you?

Bye bye.

Thank you nice point!

Date: May 16, 2014 23:58

An opinion is not critical thinking. Did you read my excerpt that I quoted? "it is important to distinguish between opinions, which are often based in commonsense understandings, and critical thinking, which is based on informed criteria" (Sensory & DiAngelo, 2012, p. 10). Informed criteria is using scientific data and/or research. Lopping opinions with critical thinking normalizes the idea that all opinions are equally valid.

Date: May 17, 2014 00:02

whitem8
An opinion is not critical thinking. Did you read my excerpt that I quoted? "it is important to distinguish between opinions, which are often based in commonsense understandings, and critical thinking, which is based on informed criteria" (Sensory & DiAngelo, 2012, p. 10). Informed criteria is using scientific data and/or research. Lopping opinions with critical thinking normalizes the idea that all opinions are equally valid.

So it is your Opinion on what is informed criteria...

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 17, 2014 00:02

I've learned a lot about homophobia from this thread, mainly that it's alive and well. And I didn't learn that from/via Keith.

Date: May 17, 2014 00:07

U2Stonesfan
Green Lady

Bye bye.

Thank you nice point!

I wouldn't want to see you leave either. It's nice to know there are other Christians - yep, I am one - that demonstrate that just because you're a Christian, you don't have to be an old fuddy duddy and listen to crap music instead of the Stones. It's total BS for somebody to say that you can't be a Stones fan because of the lyrics. Well, some of us Christians have enough brains not to take the Stones - or even certain parts of the Bible too literally. I've known Christians who liked Johnny Cash and never felt compelled to go shoot a man in Reno. I can be a Christian and not act out everything I hear in Stones lyrics. Anyway, the main point is this forum is to talk about the Stones, not a place to bash people for their religious beliefs OR their sexuality, so why don't we all lighten up and get back to discussing The Rolling Stones. After all, it's only rock and roll.

"Gonna find my way to heaven because I did my time in hell"
- Dan -
Fan of The Greatest Rock and Roll Band in The World

Date: May 17, 2014 00:07

Green Lady

Bye bye.

Oh come on. I think anyome who is a bigot should be offended, not Christians. And bigotry isn't confined to religious people, of course.

Date: May 17, 2014 00:09

whitem8

There is conflicting Opinion on scientific data too...

Date: May 17, 2014 00:11

whitem8

Who needs scientific data or research when you can simply call up some bible verses? I feel terrible that those of us who do not take the bible literally have to mine through all that fact and research to form an opinion. I wish we could just point to something obscure in a 2,000 year old book and say "case closed".

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 17, 2014 00:17

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-17 11:30 by His Majesty.

Date: May 17, 2014 00:19

U2Stonesfan
whitem8

So it is your Opinion on what is informed criteria...
No, I wish, then I would be a top wealthy researcher in my field. It is as defined by academic scholarly research methodology. And yes you are exactly right on "there is a lot of conflicting opinion on research"! You get it! That is a great example on how conflicting opinion on valid research is not critical thinking, it is personal opinion based on a person's socialization and/or social group, and the conflicting opinions are just that, they are not grounded in science or measured criteria.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: May 17, 2014 00:28

U2Stonesfan
whitem8
U2Stonesfan
I didn't write that, I am not that much of a Christian, but I do agree with the main point, is you can't have a opposing view any more or you start getting torn apart. Pretty sad really.
The problem being your using the tried and true argument of "opposing view" to legitimize your bigotry and hatred. You are at the wrong end (pun intended) of history my friend and the times are a changing. Freedom is a right for all. And your religious views should never be used to oppress others. I highly recommend you read "Is Everyone Really Equal?" you might start to question yourself and build an understanding of oppression.

That's your opinion it's not a fact just a opinion. You know what they say about opinion's?

Harry Callahan: "Well, opinions are like as.holes. Everybody has one."

Religion... has convinced people that there's an invisible man ... living in the sky. Who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten specific things he doesn't want you to do. And if you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place, of burning and fire and smoke and torture and anguish for you to live forever, and suffer, and suffer, and burn, and scream, until the end of time. But he loves you. He loves you. He loves you and he needs money.

Aldous Huxley, Brave New World:

“The Savage interrupted him. "But isn't it natural to feel there's a God?"

"You might as well ask if it's natural to do up one's trousers with zippers," said the Controller sarcastically. "You remind me of another of those old fellows called Bradley. He defined philosophy as the finding of bad reason for what one believes by instinct. As if one believed anything by instinct! One believes things because one has been conditioned to believe them. Finding bad reasons for what one believes for other bad reasons–that's philosophy. People believe in God because they've been conditioned to.”

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1298
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home