Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Jagger's Falsetto
Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: May 26, 2005 15:06

Does everyone dig it? I do. especially on "Sweet Thing". The way he says "sens-s-sual..."LOL I have found that when writing melodies for some odd reason it is easier to come up with melodies in falsetto. Maybe that's why on outtakes Jagger is in falsetto so much. Or that is why Bono is always crooning around up there. But I have often read that people don't like Jagger on Miss You and especia;lly on "Emotional Rescue". In ER I think it is one of the highlights the way he uses his two voices against each other. It's a good funkster tool, this falsetto.

Re: Jagger's Falsetto
Date: May 26, 2005 15:11

I've loved his falsetto since Mercy Mercy smiling smiley

Posted by: lodge ()
Date: May 26, 2005 15:49

I was dazzled, overwhelmed, taken or whatever you would say when he did Worried About you during the Theatres in Europe. Amazing....

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: May 26, 2005 15:53

lodge Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was dazzled, overwhelmed, taken or whatever you
> would say when he did Worried About you during the
> Theatres in Europe. Amazing....

WAY was the highlight of the Licks tour.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: May 26, 2005 15:54

I´m afraid I hate falsetto in general, and Jagger´s in particular.
Exceptions do exist though: Fool To Cry, but is isnt thanks to but in spite of the falsetto I like it.
That way like in Mercy, Mercy (DandelionP:s suggestion) he "uses his two voices against each other" (as ChelseaD put it) is nevertheless enjoyable.
Maybe the main problem for me is that I have never heard the complete album of Emotional Rescue (only heard Dance in live versions; She´s So Cold; title song (which I despise), Where The Boys Go & Down In The Hole & of course Keith´s All About You.
Otherwise I reckon I´ve heard too much utter crap-falsetto singin´ thruout the 80´s, I still suffer from it. The only vocalists I think get away with falsetto is Glenn Hughes & to some extent Gillan & Plant.

Date: May 26, 2005 16:12

Plant sings up there. He seldom uses the falsetto.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: May 26, 2005 16:19

He's quite good at it, isn't he?

"got to be worked on
don't have no bark nor bite..."

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: May 26, 2005 16:32

Actually, I have neved liked it. WAY is a good song but not because of the falcetto-singing.
Emotional Rescue, for instance, is not good in any way. I don't like the falcetto and I don't like the song.
The falcetto on Mercy Mercy doesn't disturbe me.

Mick is my absolute fave singer. And the way I want Mick to sing is when he is pretty low mixed and have to get through the loud guitars!

Date: May 26, 2005 16:40

Listen to WAY from El Mocambo. It's OK, but I prefer the falsetto versions.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: May 26, 2005 16:46

Micks falsetto live on WAY was a bit disappointing IMHO.

But in general I really like his falsetto. It makes his 'normal' singing sound so better. I mean, in songs like Worried About You his falsetto is great, but the best part is when sings like he normally does.
The song get better the longer it runs.

Same thing goes for Sweet Thing. Great falsetto, but his grawl is the best part.
Good combination.

(I don't know if you understand what I mean, I can't explain it)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-05-26 16:48 by BowieStone.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: May 26, 2005 17:15

DandelionPowderman Wrote:
> Plant sings up there. He seldom uses the falsetto.

Right - when with Zeppelin.
But solo, his travelling thru the scales.

Date: May 26, 2005 17:17

On WAY (El Mocambo version) the falsetto is only sporadic. Many of the verses are sung with a dark voice.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 26, 2005 17:41

i guess i'm with Thommie: Mick's falsetto doesn't always bother me - Mercy Mercy and WAY both groove me just fine, for example - but for the most part i can't say it moves me much. he seems to get such a kick out of it, though! so i forgive him. :E

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: May 26, 2005 17:55

somehow, I liked WAY you better seeing in IRL then on FF of LL, he sounds a bit like my cat then. BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABY

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: May 26, 2005 18:47

I like the "WAY" Mick mixes up the falsetto with his normal tenor...usually to very good effect. ER seems to be a lot of fans' particular bane with Mick - personally, I love the tune and the manner in which Mick sings it. I am hopeful for its inclusion in setlists this year at long last....

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: May 27, 2005 00:07

Mick wanted to sing ER on this tour.
That one and also Out Of Time are on his wishlist.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: May 27, 2005 00:14

BowieStone Wrote:
> Mick wanted to sing ER on this tour.
> That one and also Out Of Time are on his wishlist.
>
> - BowieStone

Wouldn't mind that one bit. Out of Time has been on my wishlist for awhile now. Seems overdo.

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: May 27, 2005 01:36

I was very upset that I did not get a ticket to a theatre show, especially when I found out Mick did " Worried About You"! I hope this tour the DEADBEATS do not but tickets to these premium shows only to leave after 4 songs like they did at the Roseland! The REAL fans would have given their pinkie fingers to get into that show and the Orpheum and Aragon but fat cats got seats gratus and went just to be seen! Made me want to puke when I heard that! Mick's falsetto should not be used quite so sparingly, although I know it takes a toll on his pipes! I can live without hearing " MIss You" because it's way too long and drags. Let's petition Mick to do " Sweet Thing" even though Keith will throw a fit!

Posted by: backstreetboy ()
Date: May 27, 2005 02:53

GREAT VOCALS,GREAT FALSETTO,GREAT MICK.

john scialfa

Posted by: Odd-beat ()
Date: May 27, 2005 15:36

I am with Thommie re. Mick's falsetto in WAY. I love WAY >in spite< of the falsetto.
I mean that I greatly enjoy Mick's falsetto thing but as an unserious gimmick only (ER, for instance). I don't feel it sounds very sincere in WAY and for me it spoils the probable intent of the lyrics.
One MJ falsetto bit that absolutely cracks me up is the break-up letter read by the girl in "Dear Doctor", in that Geraldine Jones (remember Flip?)-like tone with those fake drama country accents... Gotta love Mick for this one in '68!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1733
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home