Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: May 6, 2014 00:27

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-08 20:47 by colonial.

Re: Blame it on The Stones - Kris Kristofferson
Posted by: Des ()
Date: May 6, 2014 00:39

You are very kind!!!

Having sadly watched him stumble through a complete set last summer. Did not make it through one song, off key, forgot lyrics, stumbled on guitar and could not play the harp and stopped every song when he got to a point where he forgot where he was. It was so predictable the girl friend could tell when he was running out of memory on a song and she would blurt out "thank you" just a second before he did.

Having owned the song book, I was prepared to sing the whole thing and Kris could not keep up with me even on Bobby Magee.

Probably the saddest performance I have ever seen.

Date: May 6, 2014 01:10

That must have been an off day. I haven't heard bad things about his shows at all from people who were there...

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 6, 2014 01:47

<<I haven't heard bad things about his shows at all from people>>

Half a million people at the Isle of Wight in 1970 didn't have anything good to say about his performance. But then again, it's likely just a matter of taste. Still, consider that, in U.S. music industry terms, that's a gold record out there all at once, in terms of potential buyers of your music, but everyone there seemed to not be able to stand him.

"I closed the set with Me And Bobby McGee, and walked off giving a half million people the finger."

Date: May 6, 2014 01:50

I meant recently smiling smiley

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 6, 2014 04:00

What the hell happened at that Isle Of Wight Festival?

Date: May 6, 2014 04:30

Well, not Kris Kristofferson, apparently. smiling smiley

I seem to remember from watching the Woodstock movie that he didn't fare too well there, either. It seems the peace and love people had no love for Kris, and so long as he chose to perform on a hippy-dippy festival stage the audience would ensure that he knew no peace.

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: May 6, 2014 04:41

Hahaha can't believe I'm about to type this but I like the song.

Best he ever wrote I think is a song I heard Carly Simon do tucked away on her "Anticipation" EP called "I've got to have you". Absolute masterpiece me finks.

Date: May 6, 2014 04:54

Blame it on The Nose....

Date: May 6, 2014 14:12

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-08 20:47 by colonial.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 6, 2014 19:08

Saw him backstage at the last couple of Bridge School Benefit concerts, quite the gray haired gentleman these days. Always more of a songwriter than a performer but good to see him getting out there, he is an American icon. peace

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: May 6, 2014 22:11

I think Kris is suffering from boxing-induced memory loss these days, why may explain the haphazard nature of recent gigs.

Kris wrote Blame it On The Stones as a spoof, but some didn't get the irony. He also, funnily enough, wrote a song with Ronnie Wood on I Feel Like Playing.

I like a lot of Kris's songs, and feel that he's not really a country artist. He's more like what would happen if you crossed Hank Williams with Bob Dylan, and he came from that tranche of great songwriters in the late 60s/early 70s such as Guy Clark, Townes Van Zandt, Mickey Newbury, Chris Gantry, Billy Swan, Donnie Fritts, Eddie Hinton, and John Prine.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: May 6, 2014 22:30

Good One

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: May 6, 2014 22:59

71Tele
What the hell happened at that Isle Of Wight Festival?

He noodled out a half-ass set and the crowd responded accordingly.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 6, 2014 23:08

Saw him last September alone on stage with his guitar and harp and he was terrific, no memory loss that I could notice...The only thing that I thought was somewhat missing was some banter between songs as he certainly has a ton of good stories to share of his times with Cash, Waylon, Willie, etc...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: May 7, 2014 23:09

For a funny slant to the Isle of Wight show as told by Kris see the movie "the Life and Hard Times of Guy Terriffico". Possibly the best moc-u-mentary of country rock.

In the movie Kris explains how when him and Guy went the show the croud did not get the country/rock crossover they were spearheading. Has shots of Kris commenting to the band at the concert how they were going to be slaughtered.

Date: May 7, 2014 23:14

found a clip from the show I saw.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: May 8, 2014 05:49

So glad for Colonial's original post. I had never listened to Kris Kristofferson before last night. I had always thought he was going to be some lame 70s singer. Listened to the first album 2x through. WOW!

I love things I learn about on this board.

T@3

Date: May 9, 2014 18:23

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-07 12:59 by colonial.

Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: May 9, 2014 19:01

Robert Greenfield quoted 'Blame It On the Stones' to introduce the chapter in STP that covers the arrests in Rhode Island.

Posted by: thosewildhorses ()
Date: May 10, 2014 09:27

Kris was great fun live in the 70s. smoking smiley

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: May 17, 2014 03:27

Saw him in the 70's and yeah even then he wasn't all that exciting. You didn't expect him to be high energy and I do love his laid back style. Live however I'd felt he could have tried a little harder and that his interest wasn't very great.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1699
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home