Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678
Current Page: 8 of 8
Re: Wembley 1973 footage
Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 15, 2014 21:22

DandelionPowderman
For me, that comes through the music. We have Mick, the frontman. Then we have the sound of the band, which of course is a joint effort.

What is the first thing that crosses your mind when you hear songs like JJF, BS or SFM?

And what is the first thing you think of when you hear the same songs from the 1973 tour?

For me, it's striking that it isn't Keith's guitar that carry these songs on that tour, like it used to do - or would do again - later on.

I'm not saying that you should hear this, merely that this is my experience.

I think Mick the frontman is more integrated into the band's sound than you suggest. The band is all of them, frontman included.

Date: May 15, 2014 21:59

I don't disagree, kleerie. I was thinking of the instrumental section here, though.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 15, 2014 22:18

DandelionPowderman
I don't disagree, kleerie. I was thinking of the instrumental section here, though.

I know, but Mick has also a hand in that, if only by 'directing' Taylor.

Date: May 15, 2014 22:32

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

I know, but Mick has also a hand in that, if only by 'directing' Taylor.

Maybe that's exactly what he had.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 29, 2017 23:14

Semi-OT if you've always wanted to know why one of the gigs was dubbed the "ain't no security" show here's the answer :

"I saw The Rolling Stones 4 times in three days at the Empire Pool, Wembley in 1973. Superb shows, all of them, but the most memorable was the one when Keith threw a can of beer at a security jobsworth who was dragging an audience member by the hair to eject him for daring to stand up and dance. Keith hit the target, the band stopped playing (well, except Bill, of course), harsh words were exchanged, the entire Wembley security team walked out and we partied till the end of the show....! Drama, all captured on one of those naughty audience recordings"

[forums.stevehoffman.tv]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-30 10:21 by dcba.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: April 30, 2017 01:11

Deluxtone
This is the band in peak form.

Keith is totally energized on top of his game.
THAT is why '73 tour makes the '75-76 tour pale by comparisn, NOT (necessarily) Taylor versus Wood.

By '75 Jagger too was no longer so fighting fit, lithe and athletic and he was relying on Billy, not Keith, as an energising partner.

I'll agree 1973 has the edge but they were still good in a somewhat different way in 1975. A lot of recordings from 1975 sound very much like 1973. The guitar solos were just less artsy.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: April 30, 2017 21:07

CaptainCorella
vox12string
Love Chip Monck's idea of having the spots BEHIND the band pointing up to the mirror above them.

Absolutely! It's an idea that's so simple that it's genius. It's surprising that it had not been used before, or since. It has to make things a lot easier for the setup - everything other than the mirror is easily accessible at ground level, and putting the mirror in has to be much easier than putting in a dozen spots!

I always thought the point of the mirrors was to open up the sale of the seats behind the stage while giving those seats a reflective front view of the stage. I recall seeing photos of the '69 shows where there was a large drape behind the stage. It makes sense that the mirrors came from a ticket sales idea as much as anything else. Having sat behind the stage during the Nic Ben Con I can tell you it was not an entirely successful idea.

Goto Page: Previous12345678
Current Page: 8 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1568
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home