Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Chris Robinson Brotherhood
Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: May 2, 2014 04:26

Has anyone seen them live, they are great! Not as Stonesy as the Crowes, much different but very good. They've got a real trippy vibe to them and their guitarist and co-songwriter Neal Casal is awesome. He is probably best known for his with work as guitarist for Ryan Adams & the Cardinals.

New album just came out and its just as good as their first one. Can't wait to see them this summer.

Re: Chris Robinson Brotherhood
Date: May 2, 2014 06:21

as good as their 1st album? this is the bands 3rd album

Date: May 2, 2014 07:08

Well if you consider their second release an album, it was all recorded with their first album and contains 3 Black Crowes songs and a cover that Crowes always did live and 2 songs that didn't make it onto their first album.

Regardless the band is super tight with a cool sound and when I saw them live they were great.

Date: May 2, 2014 07:25

well yeah i knew that. here you go. a list of released songs that appear on the 3 CRB releases

Tornado - Chris & Marc from 1994
Reflections On A Broken Mirror -CR and NEM from 2004
Someday Past The Sunset - CR and NEM from 2004
Clear Blue Sky - CR Wooden Family from 2007
Little Lizzie May - Crowes from 2009
Appaloosa - Crowes from 2009

Posted by: jabhead ()
Date: May 2, 2014 16:11

I think they are fantastic live. I have seen them twice including new years eve 2012 where they played 3 sets.

I am happy to be attending the two night stand in Denver in a few weeks.

Check out the 4lp live set Betty Blends, its kind of hard to find now but it is a great live album, just a beautiful set. The 5 shows recorded by Betty Cantor Jackson that make up the lp set are available for download (flac included) and cd. They sound awesome which is to be expected when Betty is at the helm.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 2, 2014 16:14

I wish I'd known about their album-only live album release. I would have snapped that up in a heartbeat.

Date: May 2, 2014 16:58

A warning to vinyl lovers, while it is truly a beautiful package, there are quality issues with the first pressings of Phosphorescent Harvest. The complaints are all over the web, and my copy exhibits the same flaws. The 45 sounds awesome, but the lps definitely have issues. I bought the CD so I can listen undistracted and I am hoping the issues with the vinyl are resolved soon so I can replace my copy.

Posted by: leatherjacket ()
Date: May 2, 2014 16:59

not as good as the previous ones....but solid

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: May 2, 2014 21:06

This is the 3rd album, the 4th if you include the Bettys live album. Great band, i have about 30 of their live shows from 2011/2012 and they really cook up a great vibe. The world needs more Chris Robinson, be it CRB or The Black Crowes!

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: May 2, 2014 21:09

Hound Dog
Has anyone seen them live, they are great! Not as Stonesy as the Crowes, much different but very good. They've got a real trippy vibe to them and their guitarist and co-songwriter Neal Casal is awesome. He is probably best known for his with work as guitarist for Ryan Adams & the Cardinals.

New album just came out and its just as good as their first one. Can't wait to see them this summer.

My friends here have been seeing them in their run this past week at Phil Lesh's club, Terrapin Crossroads - great reviews.
I was supposed to go down to Big Sur this weekend to see them--friend got me a ticket--but I unexpectedly have to work.

- swiss

Date: May 2, 2014 21:27

swiss
Hound Dog

My friends here have been seeing them in their run this past week at Phil Lesh's club, Terrapin Crossroads - great reviews.
I was supposed to go down to Big Sur this weekend to see them--friend got me a ticket--but I unexpectedly have to work.

- swiss

I heard Phil sat in for the entire second set last night at Terrapin.

Man I cant wait for the Colorado shows.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 3, 2014 00:25

swiss
Hound Dog

- swiss

Hi swiss , hope all is well with work and life! Saw CRB a couple years back up in Felton/Ben Lomond and they were excellent. Definately a band worth making a trek to see, imho. peace

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: May 3, 2014 00:27

Too much 'keyboard wizzardry' for my taste.)

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 3, 2014 02:56

I am a big Crowes fan and sorry to say Chris later year conversion to a Dead sound doesn't do it for me. I agree too much keyboard noise here. Some interesting melodies, but after a while just kind of boring. I like it when Chris is rocking out.

Date: May 3, 2014 04:14

jabhead
swiss
Hound Dog

- swiss

I heard Phil sat in for the entire second set last night at Terrapin.

Man I cant wait for the Colorado shows.

jabhead,

Yes! My friend said the 2nd set when Phil joined them they did a bunch of Grateful Dead songs--and it was great!

Have a great time smiling smiley

- swiss

Date: May 3, 2014 04:15

Naturalust
swiss
Hound Dog

- swiss

Hi swiss , hope all is well with work and life! Saw CRB a couple years back up in Felton/Ben Lomond and they were excellent. Definately a band worth making a trek to see, imho. peace

hey, baby! smiling smiley Hope all's well.

- swiss

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: May 3, 2014 07:11

whitem8
I am a big Crowes fan and sorry to say Chris later year conversion to a Dead sound doesn't do it for me. I agree too much keyboard noise here. Some interesting melodies, but after a while just kind of boring. I like it when Chris is rocking out.

I agree with you; however, evidence the slant towards the Dead-type Jam band became pretty clear when Mark Ford came back in the band...especially clear on the Red Rocks show (Mark & Eddie's final Crowes Show).

Gotta admit with Mark and Eddie the Jam band vibe really worked well, some of the extended jams on Freak and Roll are off the charts. Conversely, they didn't ever achieve that same level with Luther (& whoever was on the keys). They became a band without a direction....case in point Warpaint and Before the Frost...each has some jewels, but both overall are outta left field, so to speak.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-03 16:56 by rattler2004.

Date: May 3, 2014 07:55

rattler2004
whitem8

I agree with you; however, evidence the slant towards the Dead-type Jam band became pretty clear when Mark Ford came back in the band...especially clear on the Red Rocks show (Mark & Eddie's final Crowes Show).

Gotta admit with Mark and Eddie the Jam band vibe really worked well, some of the extended jams on Freak and Roll are off the charts. Conversely, they didn't ever achieve that same level with Luther (& whoever was on the keys). They became a band without a direction....case in point Warpaint and Before the Frost...each has some Jews, but both overall are outta left field, so to speak.

most black crowe fans i know including me rank warpaint and before the frost very high in the bands discography

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 3, 2014 08:48

I think Warpaint is a fantastic album. Parts of Before the Frost are also great, but the mountain music gets quite tedious and just plain boring. Been a Long Time is a fantastic classic killer Crowes hard rocker. Love it!

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: May 3, 2014 09:58

Didn't buy the last cd yet, but i will do it soon. I am a great fan of the Crowes and CRB. Great bands, great music, for what i see CRB is now an important band and not a side project anymore. The space for the Black Crowes will be smaller in the future

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: May 3, 2014 10:21

I am a big fan of The Black Crowes and have loadsof their live stuff on official Live Black Crowes site plus loads of torrents.
I bought 1 CRB Live of the Live Black Crowes site too,but I can't get into it at all.
Might have another try later I have just moved house and am finding all sorts of stuff,so when I get to that set I will give it a listen and edit this post
Heres a couple of links
accordingly.[www.liveblackcrowes.com]
[nugs.net]

Date: May 3, 2014 17:06

keefriffhard4life
most black crowe fans i know including me rank warpaint and before the frost very high in the bands discography

High in the bands discography, higher than Lions and By Your Side, sure. Higher than The Lost Crowes (Tall & Band Sessions)? Nope.

Nowhere close to SH&MC, Amorica, or 3 Snakes, and slightly, only slightly closer to Shake Your Money Maker...and that only because of the production of that album.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 3, 2014 18:35

Date: May 3, 2014 21:36

Also seeing them out here in Colorado in June can't wait.

As far as Black Crowes albums go, Before the Frost is probably my favorite album of theirs. Would love to get my hands on a copy of the double lp, the second part of that album is great and the track listing on the double lp is completely different and supposedly flows way better as a double lp.

As for CRB, I think it works cause its so different from the Crowes, more Deadish and pychedelic but for me its sort of refreshing to hear a current artist making music like that.

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: May 3, 2014 22:11

As far as i'm concerned Chris Robinson never puts out anything that isn't fantastic. I've been a Black Crowes fan for 24 years but i understand the need for the CRB as it keeps him interested and refreshed when The Crowes go back to work. I certainly think at this point the CRB is more important to him and every night they play they bring something new to the table. Check out their live shows available to download free on Btetree.

Date: May 4, 2014 06:20

rattler2004
keefriffhard4life

High in the bands discography, higher than Lions and By Your Side, sure. Higher than The Lost Crowes (Tall & Band Sessions)? Nope.

Nowhere close to SH&MC, Amorica, or 3 Snakes, and slightly, only slightly closer to Shake Your Money Maker...and that only because of the production of that album.

only southern harmony and amorica imo rate higher than warpaint and before the frost

Date: May 5, 2014 03:47

keefriffhard4life
rattler2004
keefriffhard4life

only southern harmony and amorica imo rate higher than warpaint and before the frost

We'll we can agree about Southern Harmony & Amorica

Date: May 5, 2014 06:24

my personal favorite is LIONS though but i know artistically its not that good

Date: May 5, 2014 11:28

keefriffhard4life
rattler2004
keefriffhard4life

What about Shake Your Money Maker?

I agree on Warpaint and Before The Frost, though. Both are excellent, imo.

Date: May 5, 2014 13:05

DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life
rattler2004
keefriffhard4life

What about Shake Your Money Maker?

I agree on Warpaint and Before The Frost, though. Both are excellent, imo.

bit overplayed to me

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1906
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home