Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Thoughts On Best Remasters?
Date: April 29, 2014 02:14

I'm looking to buy a copy of 'Dirty Work' (yes, that album) after enjoying a vinyl copy. I'm familiar with the 'Virgin VS Universal' debates, and how Universal seems to just boost the guitars and vocals, but any preferences? I already have IORR (Universal Remaster), and thought it sounded good (never listened to it aside from videos prior to that). Thoughts and opinions on which is better?

BTW-I remember seeing a thread months ago on here, but couldn't find it! Any help appreciated thanks! smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-29 02:14 by BeforeTheyMakeMeRun.

Re: Thoughts On Best Remasters?
Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: April 29, 2014 02:38

It depends...

I like my Virgin copy, but some swear to the original CBS.
With those two, I can't hear much of a difference.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 29, 2014 05:28

Personally, instead of simply remastering, I think rewriting and rerecording might have some merit!

Posted by: ifyacantrockme ()
Date: April 29, 2014 06:16

That is a great idea I've thought of on many occasions. They should get someone to do a remix on many of these albums, GHS and DW would be much improved since there is little bottom end on these albums.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: April 29, 2014 08:44

Would be interesting to hear some re-recorded songs. Think there could even be some improvements in some cases. Stripped comes to mind, what a masterpiece that is. Also loved that snippet of Western Grip. Wish they would release stuff like that if there is any or go in the studio and see what happens.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: April 29, 2014 10:19

The Japan SHM-CD's sound good for all the post '71 records they've gotten to. The Virgins are generally next best and pretty acceptable all around. The CBS are a mixed bunch and the Universals are all too bright and compressed, just like those meanie audiophiles say. It's obvious with these though.

Date: April 29, 2014 10:47

Most importantly, the dynamics are gone on the Universal remasters.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: April 29, 2014 22:26

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: April 30, 2014 01:18

The Japanese Platinum SHM flat transfers from 2013-2014.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: April 30, 2014 21:51

Most open sound : first releases on CD (CBS/Columbia) - Some of them really sound great (Goats Head Soup and Emotional Rescue for example)

Closer to the original vinyl : Virgin 1994 remasters (Bob Ludwig also did the 60's albums for ABKCO so it's a nice way to get everything with the same sound signature)

Most un-natural and lifeless like sound : Universal 2009 remasters (I would stay away from these unless you have no choice, like with the Singles 1971-2006 box set)

Closer to the master tapes : Japan 2013 SHM-CD's - which means they can sound somehow raw and a bit flat at times (also beware to not confuse these with the previous SHM-CD editions which use the 2009 remasters)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 733
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home