Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Better on record than live....
Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: April 26, 2014 02:46

latebloomer
Bastion
HonkeyTonkFlash
I suppose I'll be in the minority here but I prefer live versions of any Stones song. Don't get me wrong, the studio versions are great, but even if they are technically greater than the live versions, there's something about live Stones that just knocks me out; that energy, the roar of the crowd - it all reminds me of what a gas actually being at a Stones concert is all about.

I'll go with this.

Me too!

Cool! Glad there's others who get where I'm coming from!....smileys with beer

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: April 26, 2014 02:46

Agreed on "Gimme Shelter." It's been neutered and Celine Dion'd.

I'd add "Undercover of the Night."

Posted by: ROPS ()
Date: April 26, 2014 02:53

DeanGoodman
Agreed on "Gimme Shelter." It's been neutered and Celine Dion'd.

I'd add "Undercover of the Night."
Shelter in 73,with Taylor was sublime,after that l agreed with the neutered description,with all the different guests on it,horrible...SFTD,was great live in 69,but after they added the electronic drums and all the sequences,l can't stand it...

"You know who l am, say it"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-26 02:56 by ROPS.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 26, 2014 02:57

Waiting On A Friend. It had some laid back subtleties that are rarely if ever revisited in their post-1978 overdriven stadium rock approach.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-26 03:03 by stonehearted.

Posted by: Sam4741 ()
Date: April 26, 2014 04:29

HonkeyTonkFlash
I suppose I'll be in the minority here but I prefer live versions of any Stones song. Don't get me wrong, the studio versions are great, but even if they are technically greater than the live versions, there's something about live Stones that just knocks me out; that energy, the roar of the crowd - it all reminds me of what a gas actually being at a Stones concert is all about.

My thoughts exactly

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: April 26, 2014 04:44

tumbling dice, rocks off, moonlight mile, and sway are all way better on record.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 26, 2014 04:57

It's more important what is better live then on record Stray Cat Blues for an example........and Carol ..........

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 26, 2014 05:14

The Last Time

Honky Tonk Women

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: April 26, 2014 05:33

I love the studio version but the Love You Live take is fantastic in it's roughness too. Nice and raw and I love the guitars.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: April 26, 2014 07:32

The winner is "Torn and Frayed". Torn's performances, mixing and producing stands alone as their greatest studio track for a song that on it's own or played is not obviously special. Overall Exile's songs are all better on record, there's plenty of hat tipping to Keith for that but Mick's vocals were never more in the pocket which allowed them to be a bit lower as he was in his perfect spot most of the time.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: April 26, 2014 07:53

rob51
I love the studio version but the Love You Live take is fantastic in it's roughness too. Nice and raw and I love the guitars.

Unfortunately, I don't share those sentiments about what was released as "Love You Live." IMHO, that record was a lost opportunity to do something different. Why they chose to tease us with a few snippets from a rather unique club show (which would have been a departure from the two prior live albums that came before it) is a mystery to me. Instead, they "cobbled" together live tunes from different shows and the result is uneven, uninspiring and just doesn't jell. Maybe I'm just being too critical and I am guilty of comparing LYL to Ya Yas (which to me is the ultimate template and gold standard on what a live Stones performance should sound like (even without the overdubs added).

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: April 26, 2014 08:04

LYL captures a moment in time perfectly. It was just not a great moment, compared to Ya Ya's and Ladies and Gents it's 10 steps below. The next live album Still Life was worse.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 26, 2014 08:05

Speaking of songs that aren't great live, I am always amazed that so many people like that dirge-like electric version of Wild Horses from '75-'76, with Keith and Ronnie sounding like a bad barroom sing-along. It has none of the magic of the record, which had lovely acoustics, 12-string, and great vocals. And whenever they do it now Mick insists on singing "Wild HO-SES". Awful.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: April 26, 2014 08:10

DoomandGloom
LYL captures a moment in time perfectly. It was just not a great moment, compared to Ya Ya's and Ladies and Gents it's 10 steps below. The next live album Still Life was worse.

....you're being too kind. I wouldn't call it a moment in time given the fact that the music sources span two years from 1975-77 (LOL!)

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: April 26, 2014 10:20

I will also say Gimme Shelter. The doom and indepence-like feel they created on record, were never captured live. However, the live 95 b-side version is something special and shows how the song can be taken someplace else.

Posted by: rollingrichard ()
Date: April 26, 2014 10:22

Get off of my cloud I prefer on record, even like the intro of Gimme Shelter, and Rocks Off, which is lacking of speed, nowadays. IMHO

Posted by: muffie ()
Date: April 26, 2014 10:52

Live suckers: It's Only Rock N Roll except when Jagger + Foo fighers did it, If You Can't Rock Me though '75 medley with GOMC is cool, Honky Tonk Women just can't match the original drum, Sympathy except '69/'75 versions, Wild Horses, Let It Bleed, Tumbling Dice just coz the original groove is a masterwork, Start Me Up, Satisfaction except '69 GS vid version.

Contrary to some other opinions I prefer the '73 Rotterdam Brown Sugar and '72 Bitch. '73 Gimme Shelter and YCACWYW sound contempory whereas the originals are dated from the late 60s. The Live '72/'73 Love In Vain smokes the original. As probably the stunning No Expectations from LA '73 does with it's sincere Jagger vocals and soaring MT guitar work. Wish they'd treat us by releasing it in soundboard glory.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-26 10:53 by muffie.

Posted by: Pete66 ()
Date: April 26, 2014 11:03

Undercover of the night
Shattered
Shes so cold
Let me go
Harlem shuffle
One hit to the body
Dance pt 1
Hot stuff

Pete.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: April 26, 2014 11:50

latebloomer
Bastion
HonkeyTonkFlash

I'll go with this.

Me too!

me too

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 26, 2014 11:52

....enough proof here that we need a new studio album ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: April 26, 2014 16:15

it's only rock and roll

Monkey man

Rocks Off

Shattered ( I never liked it Studio or Live but live is so bad every version I have ever heard)

Paint it Black ( same explanation as Shattered)

Bitch All live versions since Steel Wheels are awful I thinks its Chucks piano.
But the 71 Leeds version is one of may favorite live songs of all time.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: April 26, 2014 17:30

Generally I like the studio-Stones better than the live stuff. Of course there are some exceptions.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 26, 2014 18:15

"One Hit" sucked the few times it was played on a stage.

Posted by: JerkyLittleGIJoe ()
Date: April 26, 2014 18:24

Wroclaw
Tumbling Dice, or is it just for me?

thumbs up I agree

Posted by: Raluca ()
Date: April 26, 2014 18:30

Moonlight Mile is HORRIBLE!!!

Posted by: slew ()
Date: April 26, 2014 18:35

The entire catalog except Midnight Rambler!

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: April 26, 2014 19:01

IORR
Start Me Up
Monkey Man

Posted by: Raluca ()
Date: April 26, 2014 19:06

Come On LIVE 2013! Mick And Charlie ONLY!!!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 26, 2014 19:16

UOTN
Miss You
Emotional Rescue
Neighbours
Love Is Strong
Beast Of Burden

Think there's a studio recording of IORR in B anywhere? That they may have recorded it after performing it?

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: April 26, 2014 19:19

Don't hit me but my opinion is that 90% of the songs are better on record than live, not alone the stones but also other bands.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-26 19:51 by steffiestones.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1824
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home