Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
New Robert Greenfield book : '71 UK Tour
Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: April 22, 2014 20:21

From the gang over at Rocks Off.
I'm looking forward to this one. Aside from Greenfield's article "Goodbye Great Britian" from Rolling Stone, there isn't much on the 71 UK tour. This my favorite Stones era. They'd left the pop star schtick behind and got down to business being a kick-ass rock n roll band.

New Book Explores Rolling Stones' Exile and Transition (A Top Story)

On Friday New Book Explores Rolling Stones' Exile and Transition was a top story. Here is the recap: A new book that gives a first hand account of a transition period in the career of the Rolling Stones, "Ain't It Time We Said Goodbye: The Rolling Stones on the Road to Exile" is set to be released on May 13th in North America.

The publisher sent over these details about the book: In 1971, the Rolling Stones announced that they would be going into tax exile in the South of France. They would do a final "farewell" tour of Great Britain for two weeks in March. Two shows were played every night and the set list included, not only classics like "Midnight Rambler" and "Satisfaction," but also tracks from their unreleased album, Sticky Fingers.

Robert Greenfield was the only journalist allowed to accompany the band on this whirlwind tour. He provides a first-hand account of the end of the first chapter of this band's extraordinary career.

After this tour, the Rolling Stones would never go back to the small shows, where they would jump on stage and just perform. From then on, there would be rehearsals, sound checks, backstage passes, and security. This last tour of Great Britain marked an end to a time when one of the greatest bands in history could play rock 'n' roll the way it was meant to be played.

Here is the official synopsis: For ten days in March 1971, the Rolling Stones traveled by train and bus to play two shows a night in many of the small theaters and town halls where their careers began. No backstage passes. No security. No sound checks or rehearsals. And only one journalist allowed. That journalist now delivers a full-length account of this landmark event, which marked the end of the first chapter of the Stones' extraordinary career.

Ain't It Time We Said Goodbye is also the story of two artists on the precipice of mega stardom, power, and destruction. For Mick and Keith, and all those who traveled with them, the farewell tour of England was the end of the innocence.

Based on Robert Greenfield's first-hand account and new interviews with many of the key players, this is a vibrant, thrilling look at the way it once was for the Rolling Stones and their fans-and the way it would never be again.

Re: New Robert Greenfield book : '71 UK Tour
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 22, 2014 20:31

This might be an interesting book. It's on presale at Amazon.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: April 22, 2014 20:48

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-08 09:43 by swiss.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: April 22, 2014 20:52

His 72 tour book is my favorite of all the books on the Stones. Is there a special edition w/live CD, featuring CYHMK at last?cool smiley

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: April 22, 2014 22:03

I am looking forward to reading this book, but I'm skeptical on how accurate his first-hand account will be. There is just too much fiction surrounding the Stones, it gets frustrating.

Posted by: Stones62 ()
Date: April 22, 2014 22:05

Looks like it will be a cool read. Looking froward to it!

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 22, 2014 22:23

Cristiano Radtke
This might be an interesting book. It's on presale at Amazon.

Also on Barnes and Noble, if you have a NOOK like me.

[www.barnesandnoble.com]

Thanks for the tip, Cristiano. smiling smiley

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: April 22, 2014 22:52

Pre-ordered with Amazon.

Thanks for the link.

Posted by: MarthaTuesday ()
Date: April 22, 2014 23:20

StonesCat
His 72 tour book is my favorite of all the books on the Stones. Is there a special edition w/live CD, featuring CYHMK at last?cool smiley

I really enjoyed that book about the 72 tour. In fact, I must dig it out and have another read.

Thanks for the link, TheBadRabbit. I think I'll have to check it out.

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: April 22, 2014 23:22

I preordered too a couple of days ago.
On Amazon you can "Look Inside" on the chapters, and if I remember correctly the first part has one (short) chapter per show on the Britain 71 tour and then a second "Aftermath" part about the Nellcote sessions. So he rehashes that bit again. And from the sources it seems he pulls a great deal from his own Rolling Stones articles. They are nice, but sorta old news. But I hope for the best!

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: April 22, 2014 23:40

StonesCat

Same here. I always saw the 72 book as a kind of rock and roll Fear and Loathing/On the Campaign Trail 72....they could be bookends to each other.
Same energy, and sense of time and place.
Didn't like the newer version of his Exile experience, but his writing on the Stones from 71-72 period is my favorite Stones literature.
Hope it lives up to my own expectations.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: April 23, 2014 00:11

I was one of the few around here that liked Robert Greenfield's A Season in Hell despite or perhaps because of the dramatic 'purple prose'. I have a copy of his STP as well.

But I am starting to think he is rather milking his experience with the Stones of 43 years ago beyond what is reasonable. Too much time has passed and all he can offer now is the recollections of a 68 year old man of a very different period in history.

But I will probably have a look and read it if it looks interesting.

Date: April 23, 2014 06:53

Robert Greenfield wrote an excellent article on the April 15, 1971 edition of Rolling Stone magazine about the Farewell Tour. I also read some excerpts of his book on the Amazon link and now I've preordered my copy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-23 06:56 by Cristiano Radtke.

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: April 23, 2014 10:08

Cristiano Radtke
Robert Greenfield wrote an excellent article on the April 15, 1971 edition of Rolling Stone magazine about the Farewell Tour.

Yep, that Farewell article, the long Nellcote interview and the Sunset article builds the foundation of the book. All very nice and thorough articles. But 40 years old, that was my objection above. But its really nice to get it all together. I really enjoy Greenfields research and thoroughness (although a few clusterf**ks sneek into Season in Hell). Its the "purple prose" that I DONT like in his recent stuff. Stick to the facts, man.

Posted by: Mack Jigger ()
Date: April 23, 2014 13:41

Sounds very interesting!

Posted by: Shantipole ()
Date: April 23, 2014 15:20

Looking forward to this! Like others have said his STP book is a favourite of mine. One of the best rock books written IMHO.

Posted by: deeppurple ()
Date: April 23, 2014 16:16

The '70 tour of Europe and the '71 tour of the UK have always been my favorite period. I saw them in '69, but I do wish I had managed to catch one of these shows. I remember the Rolling Stone article and have already pre-ordered this one.

Posted by: NEWMAN ()
Date: April 24, 2014 02:40

Robert Greenfield wrote an excellent article on the April 15, 1971 edition of Rolling Stone magazine about the Farewell Tour

About Newcastle:

"They pour through a narrow door and file back on stage into a cosmos of light and noise for their first encore in three years (not a single one on the European tour): "Sympathy For The Devil," followed by Chuck Berry's "Let It Rock."

Is this verified? Zengraf still says unverified (like wild horses)....

Posted by: NEWMAN ()
Date: April 24, 2014 02:43

And about Wild Horses:

And there is this silence that seems to grow around the phrase, before and after, like when the Stones sing "Wild Horses" on stage and no one knows what to do with it. It stops everyone cold. They have to think.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: April 24, 2014 09:52

finally something worthwhile to read about the band...unlike the garbage I've been reading on this website for the past few weeks.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 24, 2014 15:41

We should cross RG's "memories" with Tarlé's who also followed the 71 tour. I'm sure some of the things written in this book are unsubstantiated.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-24 15:58 by dcba.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: April 24, 2014 16:05

I'll buy it soon.

Date: April 24, 2014 17:54

NEWMAN
And about Wild Horses:

And there is this silence that seems to grow around the phrase, before and after, like when the Stones sing "Wild Horses" on stage and no one knows what to do with it. It stops everyone cold. They have to think.

From the march 13th edition of Record Mirror:

"Mick stood beside him, singing in the dim light, and the sound was fantastic. Following that (Prodigal Son), they bashed Midnight Rambler, Wild Horses and the incredible Honky Tonk Women."

And on this link there's a lot of informations about this subject.

BTW, many thanks to His Majesty, for providing the clipping I've posted above.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: April 24, 2014 22:03

i remember reading that article years ago in one of those rolling stone magazine compilations they put out to cash in on a stones tour.
it stuck out because of them causing a commotion about the dog being on the plane or not.

this is for all intents and purposes the sticky fingers tour-its got its own wikipedia site that shows every hall and links to pictures and info about the places.

two weeks of tour-two shows a night.every hall was about 2000 seats and i swear i think one was a playhouse or something,they were almost playing the local pub.all those beautiful old english buildings and i think only one has been torn down to date.

the 1971 tour-sticky fingers,that poster with the old car,the small halls,where the band was musically,i think this actually might be my favorite stones tour.
hopefully greenfield has some old notes and recordings of interviews and a few pictures because this book is a great idea as long as he isnt just "remembering"

this tour is a huge part of the stones history-im glad he's doing it.at least he was there,unlike that stephen davis guy who just reads old books and magazine articles and puts a narrative to it.stephen davis is one of the worst hack writers i've ever seen in any genre.greenfield,he's not bad.

Date: April 24, 2014 22:18

lem motlow
hopefully greenfield has some old notes and recordings of interviews and a few pictures because this book is a great idea as long as he isnt just "remembering"

From what I've read on the preview on Amazon website, he explains what are his sources for the book:

"Much of what appears in this book comes from the two spiral-bound notebooks I filled during the 1971 Stones farewell tour of Great Britain. I have also drawn on interviews I conducted in the past with Marshall Chess, Andy Johns, Glyn Johns, Astrid Lundstrom, Rose Millar, and Keith Richards".

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: April 24, 2014 22:45

thank you cristiano-this should be really good then.i've always wished there would be more information about the 1971 tour.

it seems fascinating to me,the band taking the trains around england to those little halls,its as if it could've been an old black and white movie.

all aboard! we're heading to newcastle! and those halls-you just cant produce that sort of mystery and gravitas from playing at the pepsi center.

Date: April 24, 2014 23:09

lem motlow

it seems fascinating to me,the band taking the trains around england to those little halls,its as if it could've been an old black and white movie.

all aboard! we're heading to newcastle! and those halls-you just cant produce that sort of mystery and gravitas from playing at the pepsi center.

I can only wonder what the other passengers could think about traveling with the Stones on the same train. This is something that reminds me this famous Mick Rock photograph of David Bowie and Mick Ronson on a train to Aberdeen, in 1973:

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: April 25, 2014 15:18

Funny, funny, funny...

Robert Greenfield in his article in 'Rolling Stone':

The Stones, smiling smileystill together todaysmiling smiley, are separately becoming the people they want to be. Charlie, smiling smileythe oldestsmiling smiley, could be drumming with a jazz quartet, playing nightly gigs in small clubs in Sweden or Denmark.

Read more: [www.rollingstone.com]
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: April 25, 2014 17:01

dcba
We should cross RG's "memories" with Tarlé's who also followed the 71 tour. I'm sure some of the things written in this book are unsubstantiated.

About time you were smart enough to edit your original post. .clown

The 1971 stones...what a time..a time when they just played because they were just good.
Instead of money. ..

Posted by: mccparty ()
Date: April 25, 2014 19:05

Looking forward to the book but did they really play CYHMK?

...For ten days on that tour, the Rolling Stones traveled by train and bus to play two shows a night in many of the same small town halls and theaters where they had begun their career. Performing brand new songs like "Bitch," "Brown Sugar," "Wild Horses," and "Can't You Hear Me Knockin'" from their as-yet-unreleased album Sticky Fingers live on stage for the very first time, they also played classics like "Midnight Rambler," "Honky Tonk Women," "Satisfaction," "Street Fighting Man," and Chuck Berry's "Little Queenie" and "Let It Rock."

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2049
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home