Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Tumblin Dice been played too fast
Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: June 9, 2014 14:54

It seems rushed. And Keith can't lock in that groove...

Re: Tumblin Dice been played too fast
Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 9, 2014 15:19

Loudei

Same problem with Under my Thumb. Keith is ok, though.

Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: June 9, 2014 21:37

Keith is NOT okay on this song. What happens nowadays is, during the last outro, as the song is winding up to the climax, Keith always STOPS PLAYING THE RIFF and starts soloing discordantly, often with little regard to the music going on around him. In the old days he would LOCK IN with Charlie on that ending, and build it up and carry the song home, the repetition of the riff was part of the song's signature.

NOW, once the repeating riff is removed, Keith starts posing for the cameras or walking aimlessly around the stage, the whole song sounds weird and disjointed and thin.

Go back and listen to the ending on ANY older version of Tumbling Dice -- LA Friday, Brussells Affair, or any '72, '75, '81/'82 version....the outro of the song has a churning, building groove, that grows as Mick ad libs over the repeating riff at the end, and it picks up momentum.

THEN listen to a recent one, and right when the song starts to "levitate" or pick up steam, you will hear Keith's rhythm guitar suddenly STOP and his avant-garde noodlings begin, twank, twang, plink plink, leaving Ronnie to cover for him, which he can't do properly because his guitar is in standard E, not open G....this song is a trainwreck in pretty much any modern incarnation.

Plus Ronnie Wood's solo these days is incredibly LOUD and over-the-top, drowning out almost the entire band...why? To cover for Keith.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: June 9, 2014 21:42

Oddly, they've slowed down JJF and Street Fighting Man considerably in the last couple of years. Those used to be played at breakneck speed.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: June 9, 2014 23:20

Turning To Gold
Keith is NOT okay on this song. What happens nowadays is, during the last outro, as the song is winding up to the climax, Keith always STOPS PLAYING THE RIFF and starts soloing discordantly, often with little regard to the music going on around him. In the old days he would LOCK IN with Charlie on that ending, and build it up and carry the song home, the repetition of the riff was part of the song's signature.

NOW, once the repeating riff is removed, Keith starts posing for the cameras or walking aimlessly around the stage, the whole song sounds weird and disjointed and thin.

Go back and listen to the ending on ANY older version of Tumbling Dice -- LA Friday, Brussells Affair, or any '72, '75, '81/'82 version....the outro of the song has a churning, building groove, that grows as Mick ad libs over the repeating riff at the end, and it picks up momentum.

THEN listen to a recent one, and right when the song starts to "levitate" or pick up steam, you will hear Keith's rhythm guitar suddenly STOP and his avant-garde noodlings begin, twank, twang, plink plink, leaving Ronnie to cover for him, which he can't do properly because his guitar is in standard E, not open G....this song is a trainwreck in pretty much any modern incarnation.

Plus Ronnie Wood's solo these days is incredibly LOUD and over-the-top, drowning out almost the entire band...why? To cover for Keith.

+1

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: June 9, 2014 23:21

drbryant
Oddly, they've slowed down JJF and Street Fighting Man considerably in the last couple of years. Those used to be played at breakneck speed.

Yea, just compare these two:

2012 sloooooow....

2003 Fast and thight!

Date: June 9, 2014 23:23

Keith doesnt drive the song and this is one of those songs he has to be in charge. But thank God it isnt slow because the slow never ending Vegas-era versions are the worst. I think the tempo is much better now. Of course nothing comes close to the Taylor-era versions.

But I prefer this to any other version since 1981. video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: June 9, 2014 23:24

+1 : good sens.

Redhotcarpet
Turning To Gold

+1

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: June 9, 2014 23:37

Redhotcarpet
Keith doesnt drive the song and this is one of those songs he has to be in charge. But thank God it isnt slow because the slow never ending Vegas-era versions are the worst. I think the tempo is much better now. Of course nothing comes close to the Taylor-era versions.

All the versions from 1989 and on are faster than the 72/73-versions, if you're talking about TD.

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: June 10, 2014 07:00

I quess we ought to be happy their still playing at all. Keith hasn't been much of a player for years and it beats me why people still pay a fortune to see him. Nostalga I quess?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 10, 2014 08:18

..... awwwwwww didn't know ya felt that way ... okay maybe best ya stay in ya room ...hhAAheee

ROCKMAN

Posted by: z ()
Date: June 10, 2014 10:03

Keith once said that he prefers the slower version of TD but Mick likes it fast.

Date: June 10, 2014 12:24

DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet

All the versions from 1989 and on are faster than the 72/73-versions, if you're talking about TD.

Yes but the 1972 and 1973 versions were better. But ok I didnt know all the 1989- versions were faster, they felt a l o t longer and endless. This 2014 is better. More tempo.thumbs up

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: June 10, 2014 13:05

this song has never been good live. no wonder they keep tinkering with it.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: June 10, 2014 14:32

What? Are you having a laugh? It's an absolute classic. I've always loved hearing it live. One of the welcome warhorses as far as I'm concerned (I'm talking about witnessing it live, not watching it on a computer).

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: June 10, 2014 16:51

Two other songs I would like to hear slower - Satisfaction and IORR (non-Chuck Berrified version). Never happen tho

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: June 10, 2014 16:58

Turning To Gold

Yes, I agree, but only in respect to the Bigger Bang tour. Keith's off-key-solos were horrible ... But I doubt that it is a matter of speed. In the eighties they played it even faster and nothing was wrong with it - the problem is Keith's increasing off-key-mania in the last years (on the present tour SFTD).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-11 12:36 by RobertJohnson.

Date: June 10, 2014 17:06

Redhotcarpet
DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet

Yes but the 1972 and 1973 versions were better. But ok I didnt know all the 1989- versions were faster, they felt a l o t longer and endless. This 2014 is better. More tempo.thumbs up

Er, the 1989 version are breakneck-speed compared to 2014 smiling smiley

And the "snail" versions:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-10 17:07 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 10, 2014 17:12

Yes, another favourite transformed into transport distance. Since 1989 I'm afraid. I wouldn't bother if they ditched it. But of course they won't.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: June 10, 2014 17:21

Love You Live and Knebworth TD are the best. Played very bluesy then without back up singers, just good rocking BLUES.
By the way I also love the gospel Vegas versions (which are closer to the original)
Tumbling Dice IS the perfect Rolling Stones song for me.
I can't imagine a Stones concert without TD.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-10 17:36 by 1962.

Date: June 10, 2014 17:39

LYL TD has at least one very prominent back up singer smiling smiley

Date: June 10, 2014 17:51

Stoneage
Yes, another favourite transformed into transport distance. Since 1989 I'm afraid. I wouldn't bother if they ditched it. But of course they won't.

+1 and totally agree on LYL and Knebworth, I love those versions but honestly 1973 is the one.

Date: June 11, 2014 08:08

The Rolling Stones have many gears! smiling smiley

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: June 11, 2014 10:46

Tumbling Dice has been typed too fast.... ;-)

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: June 11, 2014 11:07

Loudei

Since he wrote the song I guess he can play it anyway he wants to...Keith is going jazz...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: June 11, 2014 13:02

Without the 2014 intrusive backing vocals too... Love it.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: June 11, 2014 13:04

powerage78

Without the 2014 intrusive backing vocals too... Love it.

I love it, too, but I think it's dragging a bit. Not too crazy about Taylor's Esus counterplaying either. But all in all, the 73 versions were cool.

That said, I like the versions that are closer to the brilliant, unsurpassable original studio version.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 11, 2014 13:34

DandelionPowderman
Not too crazy about Taylor's Esus counterplaying either.

I am. Just listening to it while writing this... I think that gives the song a majestic side-kick in creating the atmopshere and emphasizing the hypnotic groove. The song never has flied on stage with such a flow. Pure genious. Transcendental. Damn, that "Dice" from BRUSSELS AFFAIR is one the peak moments in their life. Both Richards and Taylor are dropping incredible notes out of their instruments, every damn note and sound is perfect, each serving the song brilliantly. A guitar heaven with no bullshit. "Oh-la-laa" like Jagger says.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-11 13:38 by Doxa.

Date: June 11, 2014 13:59

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Not too crazy about Taylor's Esus counterplaying either.

I am. Just listening to it while writing this... I think that gives the song a majestic side-kick in creating the atmopshere and emphasizing the hypnotic groove. The song never has flied on stage with such a flow. Pure genious. Transcendental. Damn, that "Dice" from BRUSSELS AFFAIR is one the peak moments in their life. Both Richards and Taylor are dropping incredible notes out of their instruments, every damn note and sound is perfect, each serving the song brilliantly. A guitar heaven with no bullshit. "Oh-la-laa" like Jagger says.

- Doxa

Luckily, how we perceive music is subjective smileys with beer

Posted by: marko ()
Date: June 11, 2014 14:22

to me 75,78 and 81-82 version were the best,,,when keith was riding the riff,,,its rare now,,,happens sometimes.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1663
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home