Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Track Talk: She Saw Me Coming
Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: April 22, 2014 20:25

Of all the post Wyman recordings the Stones have done this is one of my favourites. Why? The humour. Poor womanizer Mick adopts the role of the victim with his tongue firmly planted in his cheek.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: April 22, 2014 20:29

KeylockSanchezandCo
Mudbone, do you mean you like "Back to Zero" with its Cameo-like effects?

I would also like to answer that question:

At DIRTY WORK's level as album, I seem to be one of very few that find "Back to Zero", if rather far from outright good, so one song belonging to the more interesting half of tracks. And to be interesting gives some attraction. (The album, comparatively to me, however, contributes to one of only a few slumps in the career of the Stones.)

At A BIGGER BANG's higher level, in contrast, as album, in my opinion, I find "She Saw Me Coming" in one way, and isolatedly considered, quite all right as a song, but at the same time as one of the least satisfying tracks. At least in the context of the album's other songs. Not due to the lyrics, which is OK, but to the music that is less inspiring in the total balance of things. May I say that I have got mixed emotions towards it? I do not like to say Stones by numbers, but I would myself find it hard to argue against such a characterization in this connection. Even "Streets of Love", not particularly one of the better songs on this album, I find more interesting all the same, and, especially, it does more for the balance of songs on it. (A BIGGER BANG, however, I hold to be almost a semi-great album, even if it is not as daring and enterprising as BRIDGES TO BABYLON, and although I may have presented one of the objections to A BIGGER BANG's status to my ears. )

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: April 22, 2014 21:53

drewmaster
DandelionPowderman
One thinks it's overproduced, and the other finds it unfinished. Gotta love the Stones (and the fans) grinning smiley

The production is too slick, and the song itself hardly exists.

Drew

It's the singer, not the song.... if you're looking for "songs", why with the Stones? A bunch of chords, with Charlie Watts on drums and Keith Richards on guitar... what more do you need? "Melody"??

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Posted by: mudbone ()
Date: April 23, 2014 00:02

yes spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: mudbone ()
Date: April 23, 2014 00:03

KeylockSanchezandCo
Mudbone, do you mean you like "Back to Zero" with its Cameo-like effects?

yeah >grinning smiley<

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: April 23, 2014 00:07

I wish Jagger didn't keep repeating the line over and over and over. Too repetitive but LOVE the track!

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: April 23, 2014 01:48

Not keen on any production on ABB but this track is fun tho I agree with Drew it's not fully realised.

I think the line "burglarised my soul" is actually very good. Some don't. That's cool. Just means they're wrong >grinning smiley<

Posted by: The Mez ()
Date: April 23, 2014 02:17

One of bottom 2-3 tracks on ABB for me.. I realize most like this in their top 3-4 tracks on the album. Tastes vary, such is life...I like ABB overall (A bit too long & bad production aside). MEZ

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: April 23, 2014 02:34

I love this song,I think its one of the best songs on ABB,

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: April 23, 2014 04:28

Love it!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 23, 2014 05:28

Blueranger
One of the songs I have never understood that people praise.
It's Stones by numbers, it doesn't go anywhere and it's repetive and the melody is almost non-existent.

Yeah, like Gloom and Doom.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: April 23, 2014 12:16

Dreadful. The Stones by numbers. Like they Dialled in.

Date: April 23, 2014 12:31

71Tele
Blueranger
It's Stones by numbers, it doesn't go anywhere and it's repetive and the melody is almost non-existent.

Yeah, like Gloom and Doom.

And All Down The Line, Live With Me, Rip This Joint, Dance Little Sister and Star Star + other typical Stones rockers...

Date: April 23, 2014 12:33

bitusa2012

Stones by numbers? Where did you hear that riff or that slide-theme before.

IMO, it sounds like a new Stones song, somewhat modern-shaped by Mick.

It doesn't mean it's musically ground-breaking in any way, though...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-23 12:34 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: April 23, 2014 13:36

flacnvinyl
I wish Jagger didn't keep repeating the line over and over and over. Too repetitive but LOVE the track!

+1

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: April 23, 2014 14:26

This is a great song and my favourite from the "A Bigger Bang" album. It would have made a cool single.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: April 23, 2014 18:14

ozziestone
Lyrics are pretty banal let's face it. "Burglarised my soul" !!

"But now the bad news, she's out on parole" eye popping smiley

Luv the groove, ànd the riffing though.
But I could say that in all honesty about most of this album.
I've always liked this latter-day record!
And yes, She Saw Me Coming is one of the reasons...

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: April 23, 2014 19:59

One of my least favorites on ABB, maybe the lyrics get annoying not sure what it is. The guitar riff is nice but that's about it for me.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: April 24, 2014 03:33

dont really like this song.

its bland and boring and nothing to boast about for the band.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: April 24, 2014 05:23

DandelionPowderman
bitusa2012

I mean, by Stones by numbers comment, they simply sound like they plugged in and started playing and this is what popped out. No thought, structure or time spent on it. Musically so very ordinary and lyrically? Please! Crap.

I don't like many of their songs where Jagger "sings" in an angry, clipped shout ... ala She Saw me Coming. Just dreadful. Not rehearsed or worked on/up.

How this made the cut of the finished, released album, and that neither of Don't Wanna Go Home or Under the Radar didn't, is absolutely beyond me or reason. Both of THESE tracks sound, to me, like 'a new Stones song, somewhat modern-shaped by Mick'...certainly ones I prefer to the plod of SSMC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-24 05:25 by bitusa2012.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: April 24, 2014 10:31

bitusa2012

How this made the cut of the finished, released album, and that neither of Don't Wanna Go Home or Under the Radar didn't, is absolutely beyond me or reason.

...Maybe because "Under the Radar" was/ is mainly OASIS by numbers...?!

And "We Don't wanna go Home"... puh-lease.
There's no accounting for tastes; but to me, that track is as pure as a pure r'n'r fart can get.
An all time low of the latter-day Rolling Stones!
(The accompanying 'promo-video' was equally cringeworthy, imho.)

Date: April 24, 2014 10:58

bitusa2012
DandelionPowderman
bitusa2012

I mean, by Stones by numbers comment, they simply sound like they plugged in and started playing and this is what popped out. No thought, structure or time spent on it. Musically so very ordinary and lyrically? Please! Crap.

I don't like many of their songs where Jagger "sings" in an angry, clipped shout ... ala She Saw me Coming. Just dreadful. Not rehearsed or worked on/up.

How this made the cut of the finished, released album, and that neither of Don't Wanna Go Home or Under the Radar didn't, is absolutely beyond me or reason. Both of THESE tracks sound, to me, like 'a new Stones song, somewhat modern-shaped by Mick'...certainly ones I prefer to the plod of SSMC

Well, let's agree to disagree, as I don't care much for the two outtakes smiling smiley

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: April 24, 2014 13:23

It's a bit silly of course.

I think it was supposed to be a new Start Me Up, with double entendre lyrics and a signature riff.

And it's quite hard to tell why it didn't succeed in that ambition, because indeed it has a signature riff and silly lyrics.

Probably the fact that it was written at the age of 60 has something to do with it. They get away with playing SMU over and over, since essentially SMU was written when they were 35 and their ways were still relevant. But for a song done by senior citizens, it just sounds, well, silly, and too-hard-trying.

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: April 24, 2014 13:40

Second best song on cd after laugh, I nearly died

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: April 24, 2014 14:04

They rehearsed it Before the Beacon shows at least and in Shine A Light you can see that it's like I Go WIld, BS, Sad Sad Sad and Some Girls, a Mick Jagger tune all the way.

He plays the riff (which is a good one and inventive one, a bit like the LIS and Don't Stop-riffs).

Yeah I agree Justice, Under The Radar is Child of The Moon/Rain/Some Might Say/Hindu Times/Who Feels Love? all over again, although it is equally great.

UTR was not included on the album because the middle8 are exactly the same as the verse in SOL. Simple.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: April 24, 2014 14:25

Limbostone
It's a bit silly of course.

I think it was supposed to be a new Start Me Up, with double entendre lyrics and a signature riff.

And it's quite hard to tell why it didn't succeed in that ambition, because indeed it has a signature riff and silly lyrics.

Probably the fact that it was written at the age of 60 has something to do with it. They get away with playing SMU over and over, since essentially SMU was written when they were 35 and their ways were still relevant. But for a song done by senior citizens, it just sounds, well, silly, and too-hard-trying.

Well, that I for one think not.

As long as one has the luck not to be hit by disease, I think of age rather as a mental state than a biological subjectmatter.

From such a perspective I do not think that the Stones should be limited from songs about sex by a tag such as "senior citizens". Besides, this song in addition has self-irony, in contrast to the reputation of the song's first person as a prime male sex symbol of rock.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-24 14:30 by Witness.

Date: April 24, 2014 14:35

MadMax
They rehearsed it Before the Beacon shows at least and in Shine A Light you can see that it's like I Go WIld, BS, Sad Sad Sad and Some Girls, a Mick Jagger tune all the way.

He plays the riff (which is a good one and inventive one, a bit like the LIS and Don't Stop-riffs).

Yeah I agree Justice, Under The Radar is Child of The Moon/Rain/Some Might Say/Hindu Times/Who Feels Love? all over again, although it is equally great.

UTR was not included on the album because the middle8 are exactly the same as the verse in SOL. Simple.

No, it's Keith who plays the riff on SSMC. And you can see them rehearsing it in the dvd. A pity that they never gave it a go, imo.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: April 24, 2014 15:15

Reahearsing it in Shine A light right??

In the Biggest band DVD as well?? Where then?? Mick plays a tele when they rehearse it in SAL. AND he is playing the riff. Easy to see. Check it out one more time mate. Around the same spot where CHarlie says: "I like Movies, WATCHING them".

Date: April 24, 2014 15:38

Will check. I meant SAL, of course smiling smiley

I'm pretty sure that Keith plays it on the album, though, as the he is on the rest of the track there.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 24, 2014 17:46

Blueranger

You mean like Luxury?

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2851
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home