Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: "It's Only Rock'n'Roll" - 2 'masterpieces', others high quality, subpar?
Date: April 23, 2014 19:50

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
There aren't really any melodic guitars on Mr D or DLS. Yes, they both are very repetitive indeed, especially the latter.

Listen to the endless subtle variation provided by Taylor. Besides it has a break (I don't mean the solo). Anyway, they are far from monotonous. Luxury not so much.

It's not up for debate smiling smiley

Posted by: john nicholls ()
Date: April 23, 2014 20:40

Love this album. Time Waits for no one is a masterpiece, it just gets better every time I listen to it

John Nicholls

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 23, 2014 21:30

DandelionPowderman
Maindefender
Despite his condition, could have used a Keith song on it. Obviously he was still creative. Would like to see GHS and IORR combined deluxe down the road!!

Luxury is the closest we got.

Keith is all over the album, though, despite the reports about him being absent. It was Taylor that was absent for some of the sessions.

I hear what your saying Dandy, Keith is contributing a lot. I was thinking more in line with singing a song.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 23, 2014 21:31

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
There aren't really any melodic guitars on Mr D or DLS. Yes, they both are very repetitive indeed, especially the latter.

Listen to the endless subtle variation provided by Taylor. Besides it has a break (I don't mean the solo). Anyway, they are far from monotonous. Luxury not so much.

It's not up for debate smiling smiley

Then I rest my case. tongue sticking out smiley

Date: April 24, 2014 01:03

Maindefender
DandelionPowderman
Maindefender
Despite his condition, could have used a Keith song on it. Obviously he was still creative. Would like to see GHS and IORR combined deluxe down the road!!

Luxury is the closest we got.

Keith is all over the album, though, despite the reports about him being absent. It was Taylor that was absent for some of the sessions.

I hear what your saying Dandy, Keith is contributing a lot. I was thinking more in line with singing a song.

I know smiling smiley But that "he was still creative" made me doubt for a second smiling smiley

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: April 24, 2014 01:11

nomis
Chris Fountain
Don't forget the power of Luxury!

yes, and Dance Little Sister rips. Mick Taylor provides some mighty nice licks.

Too much "c" in this as in danCe little SiSter daNCe... "hiSSing" So much the Sound of the S or C in all the wordS iS So regular it grateS

Posted by: charliesgood ()
Date: April 24, 2014 01:58

Every time I listen to the Clapton give me strength set all I picture is iorr and ghs with outakes and a complete love you live wouldn't that make a great box

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 24, 2014 03:48

bitusa2012
nomis
Chris Fountain
Don't forget the power of Luxury!

yes, and Dance Little Sister rips. Mick Taylor provides some mighty nice licks.

Too much "c" in this as in danCe little SiSter daNCe... "hiSSing" So much the Sound of the S or C in all the wordS iS So regular it grateS

Mick'S Sorry!

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: April 24, 2014 04:21

ab
rattler2004
ab
An uninspired album without a keeper on it. The title track sounds like crap in E. It only came to life when played it live in B.

Wow, do you feel better? You post a turnoff an opinion in a thread expressing a new appreciation for an album. SHM.

One question for you, does your mother like you?

I was merely indicating a lack of unanimity of appreciation for a mediocre album. Further comments from others indicate that I'm not alone in not being wowed by IORR. Last I checked, expression of contrary views is permitted. And yes, my mum thought highly of me until the day she died.

Whatever, Mr. Self Righteous

BTW, based soley on your posts....I disagree/sympathise with your Mum

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-24 05:09 by rattler2004.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: April 24, 2014 04:38

Why do you think the Stones do it in a key different than the record?

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: April 24, 2014 06:45

It's funny, but, I always loved the record version of IORR more than the live version. I alwys wondered why they could not pullit off in concert?

The best live version of IORR was played by The Foo Fighters with Jagger on vocals -- of course.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: April 24, 2014 07:48

rattler2004
ab
rattler2004
ab
An uninspired album without a keeper on it. The title track sounds like crap in E. It only came to life when played it live in B.

Wow, do you feel better? You post a turnoff an opinion in a thread expressing a new appreciation for an album. SHM.

I was merely indicating a lack of unanimity of appreciation for a mediocre album. Further comments from others indicate that I'm not alone in not being wowed by IORR. Last I checked, expression of contrary views is permitted. And yes, my mum thought highly of me until the day she died.

Yes, all we should ever discuss is how everything the Stones ever did is just so glorious and how they never made a false move in 50+ years. Just the other day, I was listening to Dirty Work. I'd forgotten just how awesome Winning Ugly and Back to Zero are. tongue sticking out smiley

"Soley"? "Sympathise"? Learn to spell, idiot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-24 07:54 by ab.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: April 24, 2014 08:31

One reason IORR hasn't aged well is the sound. It has no life to it. Black and Blue has weaker material, but it was well produced and sounds great, which makes it a joy to play today.

Date: April 24, 2014 09:05

donvis

Two different keys. The album version is too high pitched for Mick to sing live.

Date: April 24, 2014 16:05

ab
rattler2004
ab
rattler2004
ab

Yes, all we should ever discuss is how everything the Stones ever did is just so glorious and how they never made a false move in 50+ years. Just the other day, I was listening to Dirty Work. I'd forgotten just how awesome Winning Ugly and Back to Zero are. tongue sticking out smiley

Ha8er

Posted by: muffie ()
Date: April 24, 2014 16:09

drbryant
One reason IORR hasn't aged well is the sound. It has no life to it. Black and Blue has weaker material, but it was well produced and sounds great, which makes it a joy to play today.

Maybe we ask Kevin to give it a remaster using his spectral separation software? He did a marvellous job on the official Brussels:

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 24, 2014 17:01

I don't agree with the comments regarding the sound quality of IORR. I hear a progression in the sound quality in each album from GHS , iorr to black n Blue.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 24, 2014 17:52

donvis

Because it's not the Stones who did it. It's not a Stones song.

Date: April 24, 2014 17:55

ab

Ah, yes, solely is misspelled. But sympathise is not.

Date: April 24, 2014 18:10

grinning smiley

Date: April 24, 2014 18:17

ryanpow
I don't agree with the comments regarding the sound quality of IORR. I hear a progression in the sound quality in each album from GHS , iorr to black n Blue.

I don't recall so I'll say a new one - it's muddy and hissy. Sounds over compressed. GHS is more hazy, IORR is more... soupy, where as BAB is clear yet flat.

They ruined their sound with Some Girls - too tinny, too bright. Horrible sounding record.

Date: April 24, 2014 18:23

Don't forget that the SG-sound was hyper-modern at the time. I agree, it's a bit tinny and too trebly.

Listen to J. Geils Band's Sanctuary. Some of the same problems there...

Date: April 24, 2014 18:31

Yes, all those tracks... new gadgets...

At least ER has a fantastic sound.

Date: April 25, 2014 03:17

GasLightStreet
ab

Ah, yes, solely is misspelled. But sympathise is not.

It's autocorrect coupled with an iPad on screen keyboard....but whatever, ab is just a negative shut-in with few real friends, whose inflated opinion of himself/herself clouds his/her mind...or that's what he/she comes off as.

Back on track though...It's Only Rock N Roll has quite a few gems on it...is it Exile, Sticky Fingers, Let it Bleed, or Beggars...no. But it ain't TSMR or Dirty Work either....a solid album from a great band. Besides, IMHO, the deep cuts are where the real bands separate themselves...Time Waits For No One, Next Goodbye, Fingerprint File, Dance Little Sister Dance, S&C, and Luxury...wait that's almost all of the album. We'll then there you have it.

One more thing, AB, your mom should be punished for procreating and watering down the gene pool.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-25 03:19 by rattler2004.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: April 25, 2014 15:36

You probably stayed up for days thinking of that one. Now shut down your laptop and turn out the light. You're keeping your mother awake.

As for the album at issue, I've bought five copies of it over nearly 40 years, including when it was brand new, and heard it many times over that time. It's part of that '73-76 stretch of uninspired albums without any genuinely top-shelf Stones: the rockers are generally Stones-by-numbers (If You Can't Rock Me and Dance Little Sister) and the ballads range from not that good ('Til the Next Goodbye) to cringe-worthy (If You Really Want to Be My Friend). The less said about Ain't Too Proud to Beg the better. Luxury and Fingerprint File are interesting experiments, but both run on too long. They surely had outtakes that were better than Short and Curlies. Keef is more engaged than he is on Goats Head Soup, but his riffs are pretty lackluster. The best things about it are Taylor's lead guitar breaks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-25 15:57 by ab.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 25, 2014 22:12

GasLightStreet

They ruined their sound with Some Girls - too tinny, too bright. Horrible sounding record.

Yikes That's harsh! I do agree that SG sounds a bit overproduced and slick compared to earlier stuff. It sounds really cool on Vinyl though, IMO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-25 22:32 by ryanpow.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 26, 2014 01:34

ab

As for the album at issue, I've bought five copies of it over nearly 40 years, including when it was brand new, and heard it many times over that time. It's part of that '73-76 stretch of uninspired albums without any genuinely top-shelf Stones: the rockers are generally Stones-by-numbers (If You Can't Rock Me and Dance Little Sister) and the ballads range from not that good ('Til the Next Goodbye) to cringe-worthy (If You Really Want to Be My Friend). The less said about Ain't Too Proud to Beg the better. Luxury and Fingerprint File are interesting experiments, but both run on too long. They surely had outtakes that were better than Short and Curlies. Keef is more engaged than he is on Goats Head Soup, but his riffs are pretty lackluster. The best things about it are Taylor's lead guitar breaks.

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: April 26, 2014 02:34

As to the album this thread pertains to, I never strongly disliked anything on it. I liked it when it came out and I still do. I guess what I'm getting to is rather than try to dissect and analyze every little cymbal crash, I'd just say..how can I put this? Um...it's only rock and roll.....but I like it.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: April 26, 2014 05:53

IMHO It's Only Rock and Roll (and to a certain extent Goats Head Soup) are typically underrated compared to what preceded these albums (ie the classic four-Beggars, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile) as they are often compared to those albums by the critics out there, but taken on their own-IT's Only Rock and Roll and Goats Head both got some great tunes that any lesser rock band would love to have in their arsenal. I think we as Stones fans sometimes take for granted what a magnificent output this group had. With the exception of a group like the Beatles (and maybe some other British invasion groups who came after them), how many other musical acts have been able to maintain that level of quality like the Stones did during the 1960's and 70's?

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: April 26, 2014 06:15

Sighunt
IMHO It's Only Rock and Roll (and to a certain extent Goats Head Soup) are typically underrated compared to what preceded these albums (ie the classic four-Beggars, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile) as they are often compared to those albums by the critics out there, but taken on their own-IT's Only Rock and Roll and Goats Head both got some great tunes that any lesser rock band would love to have in their arsenal. I think we as Stones fans sometimes take for granted what a magnificent output this group had. With the exception of a group like the Beatles (and maybe some other British invasion groups who came after them), how many other musical acts have been able to maintain that level of quality like the Stones did during the 1960's and 70's?

You hit on the head: but taken on their own . . ..any lesser rock band would love to have in their arsenal.

With this in mind, if A Bigger Bang were the produst of a Twenty-Somenting-year-old band it would be hailed as "the best rock cd by a new band for quite sometime" but becuase it is The Stone -- Ho-Hum.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1690
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home