Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: "It's Only Rock'n'Roll" - 2 'masterpieces', others high quality, subpar?
Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: April 22, 2014 16:09

ab
An uninspired album without a keeper on it. The title track sounds like crap in E. It only came to life when played it live in B.

Wow, do you feel better? You post a turnoff an opinion in a thread expressing a new appreciation for an album. SHM.

One question for you, does your mother like you?

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Date: April 22, 2014 16:11

IORR sounded best in G in 1976, imo.

The good thing about playing it in E was that Mick actually was able to sing the right melody in the chorus.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 22, 2014 16:28

Despite his condition, could have used a Keith song on it. Obviously he was still creative. Would like to see GHS and IORR combined deluxe down the road!!

Posted by: beno ()
Date: April 22, 2014 17:32

Short and Curlies is not bad at all. If it is a filler, it is a very good one. Piano is excelent. And it is not too long, like some of the other tracks on the album..

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 22, 2014 17:35

ryanpow
Yeah...that's not really an album

hey, you don't 'own' cheeky.

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: April 22, 2014 17:46

Fantastic album. To me it is not the big 5 (Beggars - Ya yas- LIB - Sticky- Exile) but rather the Great Eight...continuing with GHS, IORR and Black and Blue

Posted by: partnerincrime ()
Date: April 22, 2014 18:25

I think it's a very good album, not among their best, but very rock solid.
the song IORR itself it's very good and kenney jones adds some sort of twist with these fills on the hi-hat that I really love; other than that DLS, ATPTB, IYCRM are very good songs. And I agree that Criss Cross Man (Aka Save Me), Drift Away could have had their room on it.
m.

Posted by: jjo ()
Date: April 22, 2014 20:27

michaelsavage
Fantastic album. To me it is not the big 5 (Beggars - Ya yas- LIB - Sticky- Exile) but rather the Great Eight...continuing with GHS, IORR and Black and Blue

continued to top ten to include Some Girls Tattoo You !!!

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: April 22, 2014 21:01

IORR and BLACK & BLUE to me constitute one relative slump in the career of the Stones, most of all the latter of the two, but really both.

On IORR there are two songs I especially like, though, one obvious alternative and one that probably is not, whereas one often loved and admired song I have mixed feelings towards, as at the same time almost great (sometimes GREAT), but also a little, what shall I say and dare I say it, sterile.

These three songs are "Fingerprint File", "If You Really Want to Be My Friend" and, I have to say, "Time Waits for No One".

To my ears the Stones did not manage to make "Ain't Too Proud to Beg" function in the studio, in contrast to what they later were able to do with "Harlem Shuffle" (if a little forced, but still very good). On the other hand, I have heard one boOtleg version of "Ain't Too Proud to Beg" that was an attraction. Also the title track is not one of my favourites, and seldom have I heard any live version that I liked to any degree.

The other songs of the album are to me more in between, but cannot to me lift the album to the heights of so many other albums by the Stones. However, also this album has its moments, and when those moments strike me more than usually, my impression of the album is somewhat bettered. Never to make me see IORR as a great album, I have to say.

Edits: Correction of one title, which came out wrong.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-22 21:49 by Witness.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: April 22, 2014 21:19

I like the song and the album a lot. As far as the song nowadays' interpretation by the stones, they take the glam out of it and play it straight rock and roll instead.
When Mick played with the Foo Fighters on SNL they were careful playing it glam rock which was a plaisant surprise to me. Maybe the Stones are too old to be glam but young enough to keep rock and rolling because they sure still do it well.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: April 23, 2014 04:37

treaclefingers
I've always thought this was an excellent album.

If they'd have replaced Short and Curlies with Save Me it would be bullet proof.

Yes!!

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: April 23, 2014 05:12

Always loved IORR and IYCRM from this album. It still seemed like a real Stones record when it came out, sadly to be one of the last of those.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: April 23, 2014 06:30

Don't forget the power of Luxury!

Posted by: ab ()
Date: April 23, 2014 06:47

rattler2004
ab
An uninspired album without a keeper on it. The title track sounds like crap in E. It only came to life when played it live in B.

Wow, do you feel better? You post a turnoff an opinion in a thread expressing a new appreciation for an album. SHM.

One question for you, does your mother like you?

I was merely indicating a lack of unanimity of appreciation for a mediocre album. Further comments from others indicate that I'm not alone in not being wowed by IORR. Last I checked, expression of contrary views is permitted. And yes, my mum thought highly of me until the day she died.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: April 23, 2014 12:12

There us something dreadfully 'flat' with the production IMHO. Listless 'sounding' record. I quite like some songs but Short&Curlies and Fingerprint File are awful. Just don't sound like The Stones, sounding to me more like what The Stones THINK we want them to sound like.

Date: April 23, 2014 12:44

Maindefender
Despite his condition, could have used a Keith song on it. Obviously he was still creative. Would like to see GHS and IORR combined deluxe down the road!!

Luxury is the closest we got.

Keith is all over the album, though, despite the reports about him being absent. It was Taylor that was absent for some of the sessions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-23 12:47 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 23, 2014 16:08

If You Can't Rock Me ****1/2
Ain't Too Proud To Beg ****
IORR ***
Till The Next Goodbye ***
Luxury **
Dance Little Sister ***1/2
If You Really Want To Be My Friend *****
Short And Curlies ***1/2
Fingerprint File *****

I love this album. Yeah yeah yeah it's not Exile and all that hot air. But it's a nice diversion. It even sounds hazy. It's the perfect sonic representation of the mud sound that started with Exile and ends with Black And Blue.

Fingerprint File is the absolute highlight; IYRWTBMFriend is fantastic. If You Can't Rock Me is in the line of that 'classic rocker' that most albums seem to have and is, to me, a song that should've been a hit. Dance Little Sister, although a bit redundant after a while, is kickin' and it's clear why it made it on to Made In The Shade.

Luxury is boring. I think Short And Curlies is hilarious - it's clearly a bit of tongue in cheek with a wink but at least it kicks.

Date: April 23, 2014 16:40

<Luxury ** - Luxury is boring.>

You don't find Luxury more tongue in cheek than Short And Curlies? grinning smiley

I love Luxury myself - everything from their jamaican accents to the fact that the only drums audible are a cymbal and the kick drum. It could be a couple of minutes shorter, though. thumbs up

It worked better live, imo (apart from Preston's dreadful keyboard intro)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-23 16:48 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 23, 2014 16:52

IORR is a good summer time album. Its time to dust it off pretty soon.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 23, 2014 16:54

treaclefingers
ryanpow

I rent it. I have a lease with an option to buy.

Date: April 23, 2014 16:55

Ha ha - Luxury never did it for me. It's too... it's over the top fake. It's too much. Musically it never goes anywhere. It's such a bland fill-in-the-numbers typical Stones open G riff song that it's a snore.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 23, 2014 17:05

ryanpow
treaclefingers
ryanpow

I rent it. I have a lease with an option to buy.

NEWMAN!

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 23, 2014 17:19

GasLightStreet
Ha ha - Luxury never did it for me. It's too... it's over the top fake. It's too much. Musically it never goes anywhere. It's such a bland fill-in-the-numbers typical Stones open G riff song that it's a snore.

It goes to nowhere, repetitive. It doesn't have a 'punch'. Second or third degree 'reggae'.

Date: April 23, 2014 17:25

kleermaker
GasLightStreet

It goes nowhere, repetitive. It doesn't have a 'punch'. Second or third degree 'reggae'.

Just like Dance Little Sister, Dancing With Mr. D, or Mannish Boy for that matter.

Sometimes, repetitive can be great.

Date: April 23, 2014 17:31

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
GasLightStreet

It goes nowhere, repetitive. It doesn't have a 'punch'. Second or third degree 'reggae'.

Just like Dance Little Sister, Dancing With Mr. D, or Mannish Boy for that matter.

Yeah but Luxury is borrrrring, unlike Brown Sugar, Jumpin' Jack Flash, Tumbling Dice, which hardly have anything going on in them as well. Monotonous songs, really... they're just great monotonous songs...

I should have been more specific about how musically Luxury doesn't go anywhere - it doesn't ever get going; there's no lift, no chug - it's reggae-wannabe-lite but that is beside the point. At least Short And Curlies takes off and moves a bit.

Date: April 23, 2014 17:36

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
GasLightStreet

Yeah but Luxury is borrrrring, unlike Brown Sugar, Jumpin' Jack Flash, Tumbling Dice, which hardly have anything going on in them as well. Monotonous songs, really... they're just great monotonous songs...

I should have been more specific about how musically Luxury doesn't go anywhere - it doesn't ever get going; there's no lift, no chug - it's reggae-wannabe-lite but that is beside the point. At least Short And Curlies takes off and moves a bit.

I know you get it. My reply was to kleerie, who must be bored to tears with all the songs you mentioned, as well as with all the blues classics his favourite band has produced smiling smiley

The drums (or lack of drums) is one of the reasons why Luxury is too one-dimensional for many's likings.

When listening to the live versions, it's almost like another song, imo.

I like the idea, the sounds and especially the last minute dual Mick/Keith-vocals on the studio version, though. And Keith's ampeg-sound is beyond huge smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-23 17:38 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: April 23, 2014 18:53

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
GasLightStreet

I know you get it. My reply was to kleerie, who must be bored to tears with all the songs you mentioned, as well as with all the blues classics his favourite band has produced smiling smiley

The drums (or lack of drums) is one of the reasons why Luxury is too one-dimensional for many's likings.

When listening to the live versions, it's almost like another song, imo.

I like the idea, the sounds and especially the last minute dual Mick/Keith-vocals on the studio version, though. And Keith's ampeg-sound is beyond huge smiling smiley

DLS and Dancing with Mr D aren't monotonous and, both structurally and because of the melodic guitar, not repetitive. The missing of the drums isn't the problem of Luxury. It's the lack of structure and melody.

Date: April 23, 2014 19:01

There aren't really any melodic guitars on Mr D or DLS. Yes, they both are very repetitive indeed, especially the latter.

Posted by: nomis ()
Date: April 23, 2014 19:11

Chris Fountain
Don't forget the power of Luxury!

yes, and Dance Little Sister rips. Mick Taylor provides some mighty nice licks.

Date: April 23, 2014 19:23

DandelionPowderman
There aren't really any melodic guitars on Mr D or DLS. Yes, they both are very repetitive indeed, especially the latter.

Listen to the endless subtle variation provided by Taylor. Besides it has a break (I don't mean the solo). Anyway, they are far from monotonous. Luxury not so much.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1476
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home