Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Should be great if MT would play and sound once more like this - with the Rolling Stones.
Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: April 19, 2014 13:35

Love MT's melodic approach and tone here. Almost like the good old days.smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Re: Would be great if MT would play and sound once more like this- with the Rolling Stones.
Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 19, 2014 14:47

LuxuryStones
Love MT's melodic approach and tone here. Almost like the good old days.smiling smiley

Almost?!

Re: Would be great if MT would play and sound once more like this- with the Rolling Stones.
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 19, 2014 15:09

This clip really displays the genius of... Mick and Keef!

Why? Because during the 5 years MT was with the Stones they never let him do what he did on the Fallon : ad-libing on the guitar, playing too long and too many notes until the listener's attention wanes (mine just did).

Mick and Keef probbably understood right from the start (mid-69?) that while Taylor was a gifted player he was his onw worst enemy as he didn't know when to stop playing.
In the rock idiom, power often comes with concision : play a 10 sec. solo and you'll hit the listener on the head play for 50 seconds, you'll get the opposite.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 19, 2014 15:40

dcba
ad-libing on the guitar, playing too long and too many notes until the listener's attention wanes (mine just did).

Wow, if that happened in 38 secs, you for sure don't like guitar solos... It must be a risky business for you to attain rock concerts...grinning smiley

Seriously, I find that "anti-guitar solo" agenda a funny feature of certain type of Stones fans... A bit too extreme and purist-like to my ears...

- Doxa

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 19, 2014 16:19

The clip where he played CYHMK with The Roots on Jimmy Fallon was great.
Sadly that clip has been taken away due to copyrights. Here is an audio of
the clip anyway:

The Roots featuring Mick Taylor

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: April 19, 2014 16:31

The Roots sound a shitload better then the Stones have over the past few tours playing CYHMK (aside from the vocal, though at least the singer sings and sounds into it.). I the tempo and urgency.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 19, 2014 17:05

I don't hate anything or anyone, I just remember the faded-out end of "Rocks Off" or the version of "Heartbreaker" from London'73 where Mick J. cuts off MT's solo with several "yeah"s which mean in Stones' patois "hey STFU! You play too much! Our songs are not vehicules for your endless solos!"

There's ONE instance where MT was let free, it's TWFNO, and frankly this song reeks of 70's prog/melodic crap.
So yes I think Mick & Keef were smart enough to use MT's talent (a strong melodic sense and a genuine virtuosity) and to not let him babble too much on their songs.

PS : I don't hate guitar solos : I'm currently listening to the blisteing "Television" show from Paris 1977. One song is 15:15 another is 13:07 smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-19 17:12 by dcba.

Date: April 19, 2014 21:10

dcba

Why? Because during the 5 years MT was with the Stones they never let him do what he did on the Fallon : ad-libing on the guitar, playing too long and too many notes until the listener's attention wanes (mine just did).

Mick and Keef probbably understood right from the start (mid-69?) that while Taylor was a gifted player he was his onw worst enemy as he didn't know when to stop playing.
In the rock idiom, power often comes with concision : play a 10 sec. solo and you'll hit the listener on the head play for 50 seconds, you'll get the opposite.

No, I don't think Mick was his worst enemy with the Stones like you put it.
Although Shine a Light is a great Jagger/Richards song, I still
feel that it's Taylor who is able to tell an unforgettable story over an "ordinary" 3 chord progression. I love his melodic approach, each and every note is bingo here. That goes for almost every solo he did with the (former) Stones. One has to be a damn gifted player to "just improvise" and at the same time create an extended melodic story full of romance and merge with the Jagger and Richards ideas, be it for 10 seconds or 2 minutes.

Re: Should be great if MT would play and sound once more like this - with the Rolling Stones.
Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 19, 2014 22:09

Gimme Shelter like in 1973 - sorry Lisa, you can do back up on other song, I prefer a great guitar solo than Lisa's singing

Date: April 20, 2014 12:09

kleermaker
LuxuryStones

Almost?!

Well, a pity he cuts off the melody for a split second to switch to the neck pickup -he found the best solution to do that- but apart from that..smiling smiley

Date: April 20, 2014 12:58

kleermaker
LuxuryStones

Almost?!

Some more stops and tone searching than in the glory days, but this is nice playing indeed - with the same guitar sound as he currently is using with the Stones.

Re: Should be great if MT would play and sound once more like this - with the Rolling Stones.
Date: April 20, 2014 13:12

I didn't attent the recent Stones gigs DP, so I cannot compare, but to me Taylor sounds more confident and loose on the clip I posted plus I think his Fender (is it a twin ?) fits his playing better, it sounds more smooth than his current gear with the Stones to me.. Anyway, this is the Taylor that reminds me a lot of the glory days, I love it.smiling smiley

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: April 20, 2014 13:35

dcba

1) His solo here is very similar indeed to what he originally played on Shine A Light.
2) He doesn't play too long. He plays the progression, which lasts the same number of bars here that it does on the record.

Date: April 20, 2014 13:52

LuxuryStones
I didn't attent the recent Stones gigs DP, so I cannot compare, but to me Taylor sounds more confident and loose on the clip I posted plus I think his Fender (is it a twin ?) fits his playing better, it sounds more smooth than his current gear with the Stones to me.. Anyway, this is the Taylor that reminds me a lot of the glory days, I love it.smiling smiley

Whether it's a Twin or an SVT he sounds great with the switch in the middle position. Gives him more fluidity smileys with beer

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: April 20, 2014 14:12

DandelionPowderman
Whether it's a Twin or an SVT he sounds great with the switch in the middle position. Gives him more fluidity smileys with beer

IMO, Taylor had and still has one of the best Les Paul tones ever. It's heavy and has lots of mid-range beef, yet always clear and precise; there's no drowning the sound of the guitar itself in stupid amounts of overdrive, as most other Les Paul players do. I always thought his tone on Brussels '73 was incredible - like Clapton's woman tone, yet (to me) somehow cooler. When he switches to the neck pickup here, he gets back in that ballpark.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 20, 2014 18:54

Stoneburst, what a great compliment you paid MT. I doubt that he ever goes online but I hope someone will show him your post.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 20, 2014 19:22

Buffalo 7478
The Roots sound a shitload better then the Stones have over the past few tours playing CYHMK (aside from the vocal, though at least the singer sings and sounds into it.). I the tempo and urgency.

Yes. And it's really The Roots that makes the difference. Not so much Mick Taylor. The Stones don't do justice to anything these days. They have become old, predictable and boring...

Date: April 20, 2014 19:38

Stoneburst
DandelionPowderman

IMO, Taylor had and still has one of the best Les Paul tones ever. It's heavy and has lots of mid-range beef, yet always clear and precise; there's no drowning the sound of the guitar itself in stupid amounts of overdrive, as most other Les Paul players do. I always thought his tone on Brussels '73 was incredible - like Clapton's woman tone, yet (to me) somehow cooler. When he switches to the neck pickup here, he gets back in that ballpark.

My sentiments exactly! I think he should use that position more often on the current MRs as well.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: April 20, 2014 22:43

Stoneage
The clip where he played CYHMK with The Roots on Jimmy Fallon was great.
Sadly that clip has been taken away due to copyrights. Here is an audio of
the clip anyway:

Too bad the video was taken away. Very very nice and shows Mick Taylor can play like the old Mick Taylor when he is allowed to

Date: April 20, 2014 23:36

He is "allowed to" during a few minutes on MR as well...

Date: April 21, 2014 12:07

Stoneage

Yes. And it's really The Roots that makes the difference. Not so much Mick Taylor. The Stones don't do justice to anything these days. They have become old, predictable and boring...

I like he Roots a lot and they are younger than the Stones, fresh blood, they swing like hell, that makes a difference. No need to compare.

I do think Taylor's guitar is very significant on SAL and CYHMK with the Roots, not that much hoopla for Mick T, imo.

Date: April 21, 2014 14:51

DandelionPowderman
He is "allowed to" during a few minutes on MR as well...

I have not heard because I never liked that dark tune. I listened once to the 2013 version but without paying much attention. At any rate it is not known as a Mick Taylor tune. But then neither is Dead Flowers. If I knew in advance the MT would be playing on Dead Flowers and Sway I would do my best to get tickets in the US.

I would love to hear MickT go noodling behind Give Me Shelter and Dead Flowers (Marquee Club version) Those were mammoth monstrous versions of Give Me Shelter as played live during the Golden Era.
Stones are not going to unleash the 2014 Mick Taylor but I can dreamsmiling smiley

That era's Give Me Shelter was hilarious due to the Rolling Stones being temporarily converted to the Mick Taylor band with Mick Jagger on vocals. In the mode of guitar gunslinger bands of the 70s-80s. There is a struggle in Give Me Shelter between the two Micks to see who is more prominent, who is more stellar. And you know who wins this 4 minute 51 seconds long Game of Thrones. Mick Taylor.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-21 14:59 by triceratops.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: April 21, 2014 16:42

buffalo7478

The Roots do sound better in some ways (they're tight and funky), but the percussion is too prominent and the solo sounds a bit too predictable. As much as I love it, I've heard it so many times now. But what I liked about the 2012-2013 Stones performances of that song is that Mick Taylor did some nice improvisations outside the usual CYHMK solo lines and Mick Jagger kinda kicked him and the others in the arse to keep the song shorter and tighter or whatever, and the whole band is on fire, pushed by Mick T, while still kinda struggling with the song. It makes for a great live performance (and youtube watch). Same with Midnight Rambler, by the way.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 21, 2014 16:56

LieB
buffalo7478

The Roots do sound better in some ways (they're tight and funky), but the percussion is too prominent and the solo sounds a bit too predictable. As much as I love it, I've heard it so many times now. But what I liked about the 2012-2013 Stones performances of that song is that Mick Taylor did some nice improvisations outside the usual CYHMK solo lines and Mick Jagger kinda kicked him and the others in the arse to keep the song shorter and tighter or whatever, and the whole band is on fire, pushed by Mick T, while still kinda struggling with the song. It makes for a great live performance (and youtube watch). Same with Midnight Rambler, by the way.

I guess this Knocking by Taylor and The Roots didn't get much rehearsal time. It seems rather spontaneous. Anyway, the Stones sound rather lost when they played Knocking in 2013. Especially when Taylor is soloing both other guitarists seem hardly to know what to do. It's quite visible on the Glastonbury dvd.

Date: April 21, 2014 20:19

kleermaker

I guess this Knocking by Taylor and The Roots didn't get much rehearsal time. It seems rather spontaneous. Anyway, the Stones sound rather lost when they played Knocking in 2013. Especially when Taylor is soloing both other guitarists seem hardly to know what to do. It's quite visible on the Glastonbury dvd.

I guess this Knocking by Taylor and The Roots didn't get much rehearsal time. It seems rather spontaneous.

I agree completely but MickT+TheRoots nailed it in a faster, punkier, frantic version than The Stones have ever done it. And certainly would never do today. Hey, The Stones used to be like the Roots doing their tunes live faster-punkier circa 1982 and other times

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1889
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home