Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5051525354555657585960...LastNext
Current Page: 55 of 106
Re: OT: The Who stuff
Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: May 5, 2019 16:56

swimtothemoon
Many bargains remain for the Grand Rapids show. $20 seats plus many seats in the front for $150. Seems tickets are moving slow.

Same here in Buffalo. I thought the show was overpriced at the top end, and seeing those tickets going for less than half their original price straight from the box office (not even scalpers) tells me (and hopefully band management) that they were overpriced.

For the $140 a ticket I paid to sit 2/3 of the way back from the stage, I could have gotten 6th row if I had waited and not bought via presale.

And sadly, we get The Arkells, not Peter Wolf as the opener.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: May 6, 2019 16:53

Latest rehearsal update...

Moving On! Tour: Rehearsals May 6 Blog Post

See you in Grand Rapids tomorrow night.

Posted by: snorton ()
Date: May 8, 2019 06:51

Setlist was primarily Tommy and Quadrophenia sets.

[www.setlist.fm]

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: May 8, 2019 07:00

that's such great material; hope it goes well.
if roger can handle it, that's the front after all; as far as those lead vocals.
the purity of Who Sell Out long past;
and the dimensional rasp still had clarity for a long while.
hmmm. that's wonderful original material; i'll always love those guys no matter what.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 8, 2019 07:22

snorton

[www.setlist.fm]

Oh yes very nice, and there's a nice smattering of tunes from several other albums as well.
And for those who were skeptical about the orchestra, they were only used for the first half the show.
Personally I've been looking forward to it ALL. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-08 07:22 by Hairball.

Date: May 8, 2019 07:30

Imagine A Man!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 8, 2019 07:45

Hairball
snorton

[www.setlist.fm]

Oh yes very nice, and there's a nice smattering of tunes from several other albums as well.
And for those who were skeptical about the orchestra, they were only used for the first half the show.

One set with the band between two orchestra sets, according to the setlist (I'm posting a clickable link instead of a photo of the actual setlist to avoid spoilers, just in case).

Date: May 8, 2019 07:57

Cristiano Radtke
Hairball
snorton

[www.setlist.fm]

One set with the band between two orchestra sets, according to the setlist (I'm posting a clickable link instead of a photo of the actual setlist to avoid spoilers, just in case).

Excellent, thanks Cristiano! thumbs up

Thanks to you, we won't get fooled again by relying on setlist.fm winking smiley

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: May 8, 2019 13:12

I was there.
In Pete’s own words right after Join Together:

“This was a terrible @#$%& idea”

The show never really got off the ground.
The set list of songs performed probably looks good on paper...
It was was not.

The upper deck was packed and ready to rock. ($20 plus papering)
The lower level had some rather conspicuous empty rows.
Halfway through the show, even the floor people sat down.

Frustrated and sad and a tad angry, the fans gave up on this one.
Pete and Roger were arguing...

“Why should I care...
Why should I care?”
Hope and pray that we never see The Stones do anything like this.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 8, 2019 13:52

Thanks, Kurt. Mixed review in Billboard:

The Who Shake Off the Rust as 'Moving On! Tour' Kicks Off In Grand Rapids

5/8/2019 by Gary Graff

“We have to play with some discipline here,” Pete Townshend told the crowd Tuesday night at Grand Rapids’ Van Andel Arena, as the Who opened its Moving On! Tour – add that “You might sense, in my case, a huge amount of tension.”

That’s understandable, of course. Over five-plus decades “discipline” is not exactly a word associated with the Who and its legacy; Raucous and rough ‘n’ tumble are more apt virtues in its long and tumultuous history. And that’s what makes the fully orchestrated Moving On! such a surprising and admirably ambitious late-career endeavor for Townshend and his surviving bandmate Roger Daltrey – and in the case of opening night, a two-hour and 10-minute outing that managed to be both successful and tentative at the same time.

The two Who survivors are not strangers to orchestras, of course. Both have experience with symphonic projects -- Daltrey as recently as last year, when he played the group’s 1969 opus Tommy with symphony orchestras around the country. But Moving On! marks the first time the Who has gone out with an orchestrated showoff its own, a decided step up from the large ensembles that backed its 1989 reunion tour and a Quadrophenia and More outing in 2012-13. “I just think this is a shit idea Roger had,” Townshend quipped near mid-show, with just enough bite to make it sound like he may not have been kidding.

It was hardly that, however. David Campbell arrangements for the 49-piece orchestra, which played on 18 of the night’s 22 songs, tastefully blended rock and richness, bolstering the songs with well-fitted layers of sonic shimmer and, when appropriate, bombast. The blocks of material from Tommy and Quadrophenia, already orchestrated in their own rights, not surprisingly took to the settings well; The latter’s instrumental “The Rock,” in fact, was the show’s best moment, replicating the original album version with genuinely exciting precision.

Songs from the rest of the Who’s catalog varied, meanwhile, with some faring better (the rare “Imagine a Man,” “Emminence Front”) than others (“Who Are You”). After a particularly messy “Join Together,” Townshend -- who also poked fun at the sheet music on a music stand in front of him -- even told the crowd, “It’s all a bit too much, I think.”

But a big part of the issue had nothing to do with the performance. As perhaps befits an opening night, the sound mix struggled throughout the show to find the right balance between band and orchestra, vocals and instruments. The effect was of disturbingly muted, and erratic, dynamics, particularly with the backing vocals and, occasionally the orchestral accompaniments. The flatness clearly didn’t represent what was happening on stage, and only Zak Starkey consistently stood out in the blend, delivering flashy fills that would make the late Keith Moon proud despite the fact Starkey was playing to a metronomic click track.

The show’s other strong moments demonstrated the potential for this new Who format, too – particularly Townshend’s strong singing on “Emminence Front” and Quadrophenia’s “I’m One” and “Drowned,” and a roaring show-closing rendition of “Baba O’ Riley,” spotlighting touring violinist Katie Jacoby. The group’s four-song, sans orchestra set was also strong, with a sparkling take on “The Kids Are Alright,” an acoustic version of “Won’t Get Fooled Again” (without Daltrey’s big scream), a “Behind Blue Eyes” fortified by Jacoby and cellist Audrey Snyder, and an intimate performance of 2006’s “Tea & Sympathy” by Daltrey and Townshend only. And the requisite microphone twirling by Daltrey and windmill playing by Townshend have not lost any of their appeal.

Moving On! has a long way to go, of course – and 28 more North American shows across two legs gives Townshend and Daltrey plenty of time to build it up to its promise. But even amidst Tuesday’s hit-and-miss affair, the duo could still be credited with trying on a new challenge when it could have easily played the age-old favorites in a traditional manner yet again.

[www.billboard.com]

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 8, 2019 15:14

Kurt

Yeah, that's exactly how I felt the last time I saw The Who .... and that was 11 years ago. grinning smiley

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: May 8, 2019 15:39

tatters
Kurt

Yeah, that's exactly how I felt the last time I saw The Who .... and that was 11 years ago. grinning smiley

Sounds very human. Even if it turns out to be a disaster, worth trying.
I wish the Stones had been up for doing something different back when they could have executed it.

Posted by: snorton ()
Date: May 8, 2019 18:14

Here are some fan videos.

[www.jambase.com]

Date: May 8, 2019 18:30

I predict that by the time the tour gets to the Hollywood Bowl in October, they will have it all perfected to a science.
Either that, or the orchestra will be ditched altogether ...winking smiley

New tour merch with new theme - “I just think this is a shit idea Roger had" - available soon lol.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: May 8, 2019 18:38

[www.youtube.com]

The Who 2019-05-07 Grand Rapids "Won't Get Fooled Again"

acoustic version

OT: The Who stuff
Date: May 8, 2019 19:01

5/7 - Van Andel Arena, Grand Rapids MI

Jim Hill

[twitter.com]

Date: May 8, 2019 19:02

Jim Hill

[twitter.com]

Date: May 8, 2019 19:03

Jim Hill

[twitter.com]

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: May 8, 2019 20:06

I was surprised there was not an encore last night. By the way, “ Won’t get fooled again” was the acoustic version.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: May 8, 2019 20:11

Hairball
I predict that by the time the tour gets to the Hollywood Bowl in October, they will have it all perfected to a science.

New tour merch with new theme - “I just think this is a shit idea Roger had" - available soon lol.

Agreed, I am going to the show at the new Chase Center here in SF. Loving the schedule....I get to see Clapton, Elton John and the Who in a three week period!

Date: May 8, 2019 20:33

Woz
Hairball

Agreed, I am going to the show at the new Chase Center here in SF. Loving the schedule....I get to see Clapton, Elton John and the Who in a three week period!

And possibly the Stones depending on the rescheduling. smiling smiley

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 8, 2019 21:40

Hairball

most likely ditched. orchestras are expensive & lot of shows aren't selling well at all. i think roger has lost huge amounts of money on 2 orchestra tours. at least 1 of them was a total bomb financially. i've seen them do won't get fooled acoustic....meh..... should be interesting. i'm going to reserve total judgement until i hear a good tape. they will be out there.

Date: May 8, 2019 21:48

i'm always on their side .
i ain't seen them since Keith was in the band;
but a half dozen times from 68 to 71 at least.
and tho i'll always support them; it was Live at a small outdoor
show around Sell Out (I Can See For Miles) and Magic Bus,
but had all their stuff up to that point and throughout the 70's...
i never saw them in the Won't Get Fooled Again and Behind Blue Eyes
material; which I enjoyed. I will especially always remember my first
Who show in Central Park's Sheep Meadow, where I got a big chunk of the cutaway...
...(I'm sure he changed guitars for that last number) ,,,
...they were incredible. 3 piece band; are you kidding me?
it was Gods of Thunder as much as Zep; who saw open for The Who.

Date: May 8, 2019 22:03

i like the concept album they wrote for tim trees, rolling stone.
timmy can you hear me. pete is sly....

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-08 22:03 by hopkins.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 8, 2019 22:24

crholmstrom
Hairball

most likely ditched. orchestras are expensive & lot of shows aren't selling well at all. i think roger has lost huge amounts of money on 2 orchestra tours. at least 1 of them was a total bomb financially. i've seen them do won't get fooled acoustic....meh..... should be interesting. i'm going to reserve total judgement until i hear a good tape. they will be out there.

Hear a good tape? That’s like saying I like driving this car because of the commercial. If you want to judge a show, just go.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: May 9, 2019 08:46

Personally, I enjoyed the opening show in Grand Rapids. The sound problems will
certainly be addressed for future shows. The orchestra brought a new dimension
to the music - especially the Tommy selections - which were in the beginning. Good they are changing things up a bit by trying something different. I will be
seeing them again latter this month at Tinley Park - will be interesting to see if any elements of the show have changed. Maybe when the Who return in
September we will be hearing some selections from their upcoming Album!

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: May 9, 2019 10:36

Woz
Hairball

Woz, what about the new arena's opening event - Metallica?

plexi

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 9, 2019 12:05

More Hot Rocks
crholmstrom
Hairball

Hear a good tape? That’s like saying I like driving this car because of the commercial. If you want to judge a show, just go.

unfortunately some of us live on a fixed income & have to budget for luxuries like concerts. tickets for this show are quite expensive as are concerts in general. understood that musicians don't make what they used to on records. i've seen the who several times. some great shows & some not so great. the first farewell tour for instance, you could tell pete wasn't real into it for whatever reasons. back to the current tour: if i like what i hear, i'll find a way to go. if i don't, i'll save the money. to steal a line from game of thrones; winter is coming...

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: May 9, 2019 15:20

swimtothemoon
I was surprised there was not an encore last night. By the way, “ Won’t get fooled again” was the acoustic version.

They haven't done encore for many many years. Townshend said it's stupid to walk off stage, stand around for 3 minutes, then come back out.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: May 9, 2019 15:23

kovach
swimtothemoon

They haven't done encore for many many years. Townshend said it's stupid to walk off stage, stand around for 3 minutes, then come back out.

Agree

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5051525354555657585960...LastNext
Current Page: 55 of 106

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1963
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home